Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song Of The Decade

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Mr Brightside by The Killers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Deedsie wrote: »
    Mr Brightside by The Killers

Sick of hearing about this song.

It's a good song but 'song of the decade'??

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

Some of the best songs have to be,

Arctic Monkeys-A Certain Romance
    Franz Ferdinand-Take me Out
    Elbow-On A Day Like This
    Fleet Foxes-Mykonos
    Interpol-Obstacle 1
    The Killers-Change your Mind
    Muse-Plug in Baby(Brilliant riff)

I have to disagree with an earlier post though, I`ve been a teenager through most of the decade and the majority of my favorite music comes from the 70`s 80`s and 90`s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Mick1973 wrote: »
    I'm amazed that so many people are being so negative bout the noughties. I think part of the 'problem' that noughties music seems worse than other decades is that we all have access to so much music. It then becomes slightly more disposable while we look for the next song / album to give us the 'hairs on the back of the neck' feeling that we all get from finding our new favourite tune.
    <Ollie> wrote: »
    I don't think X-Factor or American Idol has any effect on aspiring artists. The internet has made it a lot more accessible for such artists to reach an audience, but also more competitive - it's going to be a lot harder for an artist to 'stand out' from the crowd.

Song of the decade for me? This wins for me as it fits the bill as the 'Anthem of The Decade'...I'm going with a live version they did with Bowie..

Bang on, both of these posts. And that song is a beast.

I'd argue that there is plenty of brilliant, exciting music out there, and plenty of it in this thread. You just need the patience to find it. Just because you haven't bothered looking for it, won't give it a chance, or it doesn't suit your tastes, does not mean music is dead. It's just left you behind.

Stuff like The Knife or Arcade Fire just wouldn't and couldn't have come from any other decade. I love the 00's for giving me those bands, and I have no doubt people will be talking about these songs in years to come - when they're telling each other about how the music of the 2020's isn't nearly as good as it was back in the 2010's...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

best of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

mink_man wrote: »
    best of you!

Yeah that and Burn Away are my fave Foos songs of the decade :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dudess wrote: »
    I personally consider the 90s (bar the first couple of years) far worse a decade for music than the 00s - generally speaking.

personally i'd say the 90s had far more great bands than this decade:

Radiohead (at their peak imo)
    Spiritualized
    Blur
    Oasis (first two albums)
    Nirvana
    Suede

I think there are very few acts from this decade to compare to them. And there are others i'd throw in there - The La's for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The Strokes - Last Nite
    Modest Mouse - Float On
    Outkast - Hey Ya!
    LCD Soundsystem - All my Friends
    Radiohead - Idioteque

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The landscape has changed. There are fewer big bands of that quality - I don't think anybody will ever get the opportunities Radiohead did again - but that doesn't mean they're not out there.

There are fewer huge, universally acclaimed acts on the go now, but on the other hand, it's become far easier for an individual to seek out and find great smaller bands who never would have made it in the 1990's music model.

Here's another song I loved from the Noughties ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Mmcd wrote: »
    If anyone says any other song is better than Mr. Brightside they're a liar!

"All These Things That I've Done", also by The Killers and from the same album.

Makes me a liar, I believe !
    (I'd even put "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine" as the 2nd best Killers song).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Dudess wrote: »
    Well it was the decade that brought us Falco, Men Without Hats, Tight Fit and Baltimora. :pac:

Satire for you=nostalgia for me (ok time for the leaba methinks!-leave the young'uns at it..).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

If it's only one, and if I read to OP correctly then it is. Then it's this song...
    CocoRosie- Japan.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7sa92YTonY

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Some good stuff mentioned already - Muse, Arcade Fire, and so on - but I have to go with some old guys rocking out like they were 18 again:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Tough call but some of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' stuff is brilliant.. Gold Lion and Maps.
    Elbow - Grounds for divorce is genuinely class.
    Everybody is free to wear Sunscreen deserves a mention imo.. Not commercially successful but still great.
    MGMT will remind me off the end of the decade over anything.. Overplayed to fuk but still good.
    Justice v. Simian - We are your friends is probably my favourite going out tune.. Best memories anyway.
    Franz Ferdinand - Take me out was pretty huge at the time aswell.

Sunscreen came out in the 90s ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

tough one...

loved :
    Hanging By A Moment by Lifehouse

The Reason By Hoobastank

+1

Two crackin songs there, particularly Lifehouse -

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Xavi6 wrote: »
    +1

Two crackin songs there, particularly Lifehouse -

Xavii if im correct you rubbished a great song (although Im not a fan in any way), Babylon eariler in the thread, and then you bring up this ****e!! Lifehouse sound like Kurt Cobain singing Christian rock!

Modest Mouse Float On for me.

Followed by the coral pass it on, arctic monkeys certain romance, justice phantom, roots manuva witness, the prodigy invaders must die and the libertines cant stand me now.

Theres been plenty of great music this decade if you want to find it. The internet both makes this easier and harder, because of the amount of pure ****e you have to wade through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Mine would be No One Knows by QOTSA

You can't really count a cover though can you? :P

Id have to go with myself;

Tool - Lateralus

or

Dream Theater - The count of tuscany

wixfjord wrote: »
    Xavii if im correct you rubbished a great song (although Im not a fan in any way), Babylon eariler in the thread, and then you bring up this ****e!! .

That's fine, don't let it bother you.

It is simply not cool to like a David Gray song.

I bet when the song comes on in their cars, people be tapping that foot and singing along ..

"Moving through the crowds I'm pushing
    Chemicals all rushing in my bloodstream
    Only wish that you were here
    You know I'm seeing it so clear
    I've been afraid
    To show you how I really feel
    Admit to some of those bad mistakes I've made"

The song's a classic.

The fact that people would rather admit there liked the Twilight movies or that they wear yellow y-fronts is just somthing we'll have to accept :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

wixfjord wrote: »
    Xavii if im correct you rubbished a great song (although Im not a fan in any way), Babylon eariler in the thread, and then you bring up this ****e!! Lifehouse sound like Kurt Cobain singing Christian rock!

Of course I rubbished David Gray. He's one of the most irritating artists of all time. His popularity genuinely puzzles me.
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    It is simply not cool to like a David Gray song.

It's nothing to do with him being 'cool' or not, it's to do with him being an incredibly boring and uninspiring bastard. That 'White Ladder' album is up there with Damien Rice's 'O' and the latest Kings of Leon effort as the most overrated record of the last decade or so.
    I bet when the song comes on in their cars, people be tapping that foot and singing along ..

I'd have switched over after the first bar tbh.

('Babylon' btw is actually from 1999 so is actually OT ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

The Strokes - Last Nite
    Modest Mouse - Float On
    Outkast - Hey Ya!
    LCD Soundsystem - All my Friends
    Radiohead - Idioteque
    Oh, hi Pitchfork

Decent tunes though.

Of course I rubbished David Gray. He's one of the most irritating artists of all time. His popularity genuinely puzzles me.

He's a great songwriting and his gigs are always class.

His 'popularity' is not great as you can see from this thread but if you are refering to the album sales of 'White Ladder' then I feel he does deserve it as he is great singer / songwriting who's live preformances are always amazing.
    It's nothing to do with him being 'cool' or not, it's to do with him being an incredibly boring ..

Boring is just another way of saying 'uncool'.
    That 'White Ladder' album is up there with Damien Rice's 'O' and the latest Kings of Leon effort as the most overrated record of the last decade or so.

White Ladder is a classic album and to compare it to the above to albums is a joke.

Listen, I am not a big David Gray fan but some of the songs on White Ladder are classics. it's a fine album and the best track being Babylon.
    ('Babylon' btw is actually from 1999 so is actually OT ;))

The song was released in 1999 and did very little. Then the album took of in early 2000.

So the song was re-released in 2000 and that is when it peaked in the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is it just me or is "Sex on Fire" by Kings on Leon the most overrated song ever?

Is it just me or is "Sex on Fire" by Kings on Leon the most overrated song ever?

The most overrated song of all time is Mr Brightside by The Killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Landed - Ben Folds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Interpol- Evil
    Arcade Fire- Wake Up
    Bloc Party- Banquet
    The Strokes- Someday
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Maps
    Artic Monkeys- Fake Tales of San Francisco
    Coldplay- God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
    Daft Punk- Harder Better Faster Stronger