Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song Of The Decade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

rossie1977 wrote: »
    see this is about opinion but none of those i would consider incredible artists, i like killers, own all their albums and every time i have seen them live have had a great time

green day are a 90s band for me, thats when they became big and thats when they did their best work

queen were huge in the 70s and 80s

incredible artists for me are the likes of the beatles and zeppelin

exactly my point. I personaly dont like the beatles or zeppelin, but ALOT of people do, same goes for the new bands i mentioned. Just alot of people on here (And irl) think only music they like is good and everything they dont like is obviously **** music.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I almost clicked out of this thread when I saw David fucking Gray get mentioned.

There are been some exceptional songs over the past decade, and to say it was a bad decade is incredibly naive.

Anyway, purely because it blew me away the first time I heard it back in 2001, I've no choice but to put forward this tune by the best live act going -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Haven't read through all the thread so don't know has this been said before but my song of the decade is Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

I thought this thread was about song of the decade :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

You're all idiots. It's Radiohead's Reckoner.

No, it's not subjective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's 'it' seems weird and scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

The Wire represents the pinnacle of artistic achievement in the history of civilisation. A hundered years from now, kids will be studying it for their leaving certs.

EDIT: oh yeah 00's tunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

rossie1977 wrote: »
    nah, the 00s is considered bad because there has been no memorable or iconic songs, nobody is going to be singing beyonce, artic monkeys or muse stuff in 50 years time, they just won't

i remember watching top of the pops in 1991 and nirvana coming on and with the first riff of "smells like" you knew this was an iconic song, one that people would still be talking long after nirvana were no more, i can't think of one song this decade that i could say with a serious face, yeah thats this decades "hey jude" or "billie jean"

i blame programs like x-factor and american idol, they have sucked the life out of music, whereas in the past music companies would have taken a chance on aspiring musicans now they only sign up and market talentless simon cowell goons

reality music shows just like reality shows in tv have defined this decade , it was the decade where everyone had an opportunity to be a pop star and everyone could have a role in deciding who became a star , simon cowell was the most important person in music the world over this decade which sums up the whole sorry era

my fave songs of the decade

white stripes = seven nation army
    mgmt = kids
    mary j blige = family affair
    johny cash = hurt
    basement jaxx = wheres your head at
    take that = rule the world
    ronan keating = life is a rollercoaster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

irish_bob wrote: »
    reality music shows just like reality shows in tv have defined this decade , it was the decade where everyone had an opportunity to be a pop star and everyone could have a role in deciding who became a star , simon cowell was the most important person in music the world over this decade which sums up the whole sorry era

my fave songs of the decade

white stripes = seven nation army
    mgmt = kids
    mary j blige = family affair
    johny cash = hurt
    basement jaxx = wheres your head at
    take that = rule the world
    ronan keating = life is a rollercoaster
    Step away from the TV and you might find some perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

If Simon Cowell was the most important person in music in the last decade then it shows how godawful the last 10 years has been in terms of music quality.

Oh take your head out of your arsehole you ejit. Those shows make up only a very VERY small proportion of whats available these day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

go with the flow-QOTSA
    or

Banquet - Bloc Party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Thread is about music, not tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Magill wrote: »
    Oh take your head out of your arsehole you ejit..

'Play the ball, not the man' .. it's a term used in GAA circles.

foreign sports m8...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Chicago - Sufjan Stevens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

tough one...

loved :
    Hanging By A Moment by Lifehouse

The Reason By Hoobastank

Delilah By Plain White Tees

Since You Been Gone-Kelly Clarkson

on that note In the name of by Rage against the Machine. Know its a re release but still a great way to finish out the decade
    Do you mean as being the last Number 1 single of this decade? It wasn't, Joe McElderry's single 'The Climb' is expected to hold that spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Kold wrote: »
    Step away from the TV and you might find some perspective.

they defined this decade in the way unemployment defined ireland in the 1950,s and 1980,s ,s , thats not to say you couldnt find gold if you looked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭lauraisginger

Source?

Just a countdown on the tv the other night, nothing too serious

I like this Dublin band who came up in the Noughties.

Fight Like Apes ..

If you ever get the chance to see them do as they are class live:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Susan Boyle - I dreamed a dream

Magill wrote: »
    foreign sports m8...

You seem to have a list of things that are foreign to you that shouldn't be.

'Attack the post and not the poster' is one you might think of removing.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

smurgen wrote: »
    Banquet - Bloc Party

That was before 2009, no?

Top tune though...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,270 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dream Theater - Count of Tuscany(2009)

Queens of the Stone Age - Better Living Through Chemistry(2000)

Muse - Citizen Erased(2001)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

Ah i just red the thread title again...decade not year...duh!!

So yes Bloc Party - Banquet. What a tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It has to be something by Between The Buried And Me.
    They play some amazing stuff, take these two songs for example.

They both get pretty heavy but stick them out because the songs show more diversity than all the artists you'll see on TV or hear on the radio combined.
    FAACT!!

IB4: Fcuking metal, fcuk off.

GIVE IT A CHANCE, YIZ SAPS!!

As I've said, they both have really heavy parts up they ease off into some stuff that wouldn't even cross your mind.
    Amazing.
    YES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

I know the song is only from this year, but I think it has to be on the list of nominations for song of the decade: "Poker Face", Lady Ga Ga.

Brilliantly produced, composed of different elements blended together to form a classic pop song. I played it continuously this summer whilst driving around, at maximum volume... sad, I know (and I ain't no boy-racer!)

Reminded me of another song from earlier in the decade, chorus went something like, "my milk-shake brings all the boys from the town"etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Impossible to do; too many songs.
    Some i've been listening to recently:

Midlake - Roscoe

John Frusciante - Going Inside

Nas - One Mic

Robyn - With every heartbeat.

Idlewild - Take me back to the Islands.

Advertisement