Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song Of The Decade

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Dudess wrote: »
    Well it was the decade that brought us Falco, Men Without Hats, Tight Fit and Baltimora. :pac:

You're saying that like it's a bad thing:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm certainly not. Anyone who disses Rock Me Amadeus ain't no friend of mine! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

stovelid wrote: »
    I think the 80s will eventually be lionized in the same way as the 60s. Probably already is.

Well, considering that here we are discussing the Nougthies and we can about muster 30 songs or so.

And yet, if you were to start a thread on bes 80's songs it would never end and would hit 200 posts in 48 hours.

I think that says it all.

Music today is okay and you have to dig hard to find the good stuff. Even the crap stuff in the 80's had more soul than the top sellers today.

Look at us oldies in the corner reminiscing about the 80s :D... the way our parents reminisced about the 50s/60s... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Well, considering that here we are discussing the Nougthies and we can about muster 30 songs or so.

Maybe I'm a traditionalist but I just liked it when the standard pop fare loved by kids was produced by drug-addled cross-dressers.
    Look at us oldies in the corner reminiscing about the 80s :D... the way our parents reminisced about the 50s/60s... :(

Anybody under 30 has fucked off and is no doubt avoiding the thread like the plague. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Anybody under 30 has fucked off and is no doubt avoiding the thread like the plague. :o

This :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

And we would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those pesky kids!

Nice one ..

You get the Gramophone and if I can get up from this chair withing getting a hernia, I'll dust off my old Flock Of Seagull 45s and we can all play dominos :D

Nice one ..

You get the Gramophone and if I can get up from this chair withing getting a hernia, I'll dust off my old Flock Of Seagull 78s and we can all play dominos :D

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Flock of Seagulls were awesome.

WTF, this thread has seriously derailled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'd say any individual year from the ninty's would beat the whole noughties for music. It's only when you do one of these that you realise how bad it's been.

If I was pushed I'd say crazy by gnarls Barkley!

davyjose wrote: »
    Flock of Seagulls were awesome.

WTF, this thread has seriously derailled.

All the kids are in bed ;)

Get the scotch ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Actually, this decade was fairly shite for music it's really a matter of which shite was most tolerable and didn't make you want to get sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Driver 8 wrote: »
    To be fair, as much as I and others would slag off lists like that for being incredibly short-sighted in the music it considers, this notion that "mainstream=****e" is a bit lazy too. I don't think anyone would argue that songs like Umbrella are great songs in and of themselves, regardless of whether it's the Rihanna or Manics version you choose to listen to.

Just about Umbrella.
    Agree that it's a hell of a pop song. Video's great as well.

Can't decide what the best song of the decade is though tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'd say any individual year from the ninty's would beat the whole noughties for music.
    I personally consider the 90s (bar the first couple of years) far worse a decade for music than the 00s - generally speaking.

Actually trying not to completely derail( that's exactly what I'm doing) the noughties as a whole has been rubbish! Tv used to be sooo much better too. The likes of father ted, the royal family, men behaving badly, zig and zag, crystal maze, supermarket sweep:D... I could go on

Ah now... what about The Sopranos? Lost? Shameless? Six Feet Under? Dexter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2pzSFkNFZ0 this is best of the last 10 years, killers! you know i,m right

I personally consider the 90s (bar the first couple of years) far worse a decade for music than the 00s - generally speaking.

I'm a massive 'grunge' (hate that word) fan so I'm the opposite really :)
    I'd say the majority of my music is from the 90's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopfeatures/6198897/100-songs-that-defined-the-Noughties.html

Not a bad list here either. I nodded in agreement to some of them and then others I pulled a question mark or three over my head (:confused:) .

I still couldn't be asked to decide on one song though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Arctic Monkeys- I bet that you look good on the dancefloor

I f**kin love this song .. great to drive to:

Ok I give you oasis, blur, the verve, rem, nirvana, radiohead

From a pop basis you had take that at their best, spice girls, backstreet boys, boyzone all better than modern alternatives.

Eminem at his best, jay z, p diddy, biggy 2 pac.

Give me a list from the noughties as impressive.

I'm a massive 'grunge' (hate that word) fan so I'm the opposite really :)

You going Pearl Jam?

I am indeed :) Going to the Belfast gig, can't wait!

Also another contender for song of the 00's IMO, considering the Iraq war an all:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

From a pop basis you had take that at their best, spice girls, backstreet boys, boyzone all better than modern alternatives.

woah woah woah! Only eminems first album was released in the 90s, Marshall Mathers LP is his masterpiece and that was 2001. Jay-Zs The Blueprint came out this decade too. This decade wasn't bad for hip hop, Kanye is an amazing artist too which a lot of people forgot because his dickish personality.

I would type but my phone battery about to die! And to further rebut another poster, best decade of tv ever - Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Dexter, The Wire, Lost, 30 Rock, Mad Men

Kanye is an amazing artist too which a lot of people forgot because his dickish personality.
    Gay fish IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

and song of the decade for me is either Mr Brightside or Hey Ya. Crazy In Love, Cant Get You Outta My Head, Stan, Seven Nation Army and Jesus Walks are ip there too

• Advertisement

But no matter what you say, I personally consider the 00s better than the 90s - you can't change personal opinion. :)
    I also don't consider many of the acts you've listed impressive.
    In terms of pop: Outkast, Justin Timberlake, Neptunes produced Britney, Timbaland produced Nelly Furtado, The Sugababes - I way prefer these to the pop acts in your list.

And Boyzone?! :eek:

Advertisement