Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song Of The Decade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Not a bad winner tbh, Will always get alot of people that disagree with it just because its popular/overplayed/mainstream.... whatever.

Its an incredible song thats for sure, most importantly.... it was wrote by a Irish man !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Numb Encore

Jay Z Linkin Park

Remember first hearing it, what a tune

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

And for those that said its been a **** decade for music...... HAHAHA.... take your head out of your holes !

It's lists like this which really hammer home just how poor modern music has gotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

I'd like "Hey Ya" or "Digital Love" to represent this decade musically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well it has been a decade for horrendous music but yes, a lot of really good stuff emerged in the 00s - much of it thanks to the net.

Impossible for me to pick just one song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

everyone always remembers the more recent songs of the decade, the early ones usually get neglected.

also, lusts that are voted for usually end up being the same type of music as the same type of person votes - all that indie stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

token56 wrote: »

Some of my contenders would have to be

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
    Daft Punk - Harder Better Faster Stronger
    Killers - Mr Brightside

there are really too many to mention to be honest.

Edit: I want to add
    The Pixies - Where is my mind
    Jeff Buckely - Hallelujah

Actually californication was released in 1999 as well,
    where is my mind is from 1988
    And hallelujah was on the album grace in 1994, but i dont think it was ever orignally released as a single, until 2008.

I cant make up my mind either on this one, too many great songs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

davyjose wrote: »
    It's still a great song dude.

Man, I can think of thousands of songs better than chasing cars. it wouldn't have made top100 in the 90's. What a sh!t decade for music. Started so promising an all.

It started strongly, had a **** few years and then this year good music came back with a vengeance IMO. Some cracking records released this year. Hopefully this is the start of something more for the 10's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The Climb - Joe McElderry.

Nah, just kidding. That was rubbish. :p

Since I haven't yet heard all songs from this decade, I shall reserve judgment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

How could even begin to chose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭token56

asmobhosca wrote: »
    Actually californication was released in 1999 as well,

according to any sources i've found the single was released in 2000, the other yes I agree but for some reason I keep on finding info saying they were re released in 00's, but yeah maybe never actually re released just re entered.

stovelid wrote: »
    How could even begin to chose?

The only way you could truly pick the song of the decade would be if you listened to every song released in that decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Dudess wrote: »
    Well it has been a decade for horrendous music but yes, a lot of really good stuff emerged in the 00s - much of it thanks to the net.

Impossible for me to pick just one song.

Perhaps Dudess but wouldn't it be easy to pick no song? The best selection here was the Pixies which someone corrected to be a 90s song when in fact it's an 80s song.

I thing the summation from this thread should be that the noughties have been regurgitated dog****e for music.

Listen to the Beatles kids,then Jimi,then Zeppelin,then NWA,then Husker Du then Jesus and Mary Chain then Public Enemy then make up your own ****ing minds...but you'll agree that current music is pretty much shee-ite.....apart from Prodigy......who are the cyber Beatles as we all know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

token56 wrote: »
    according to any sources i've found the single was released in 2000, the other yes I agree but for some reason I keep on finding info saying they were re released in 00's, but yeah maybe never actually re released just re entered.

Still, it shows how sh!t the decade was if we're debating a 90's song on the list of this decade's best music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Perhaps Dudess but wouldn't it be easy to pick no song? The best selection here was the Pixies which someone corrected to be a 90s song when in fact it's an 80s song.

I thing the summation from this thread should be that the noughties have been regurgitated dog****e for music.

Listen to the Beatles kids,then Jimi,then Zeppelin,then NWA,then Husker Du then Jesus and Mary Chain then Public Enemy then make up your own ****ing minds...but you'll agree that current music is pretty much shee-ite.....apart from Prodigy......who are the cyber Beatles as we all know.

There's a lot of good, worthwhile music out there - even if its not as mainstream as the Beatles and Led Zep were, it is there. Check out Them Crooked Vultures (JP Jones as bassist), Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Arcade Fire etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Best song of The Noughties for me is this ..

It will stand the test of time and I can't think of many others over the past ten that will.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

There's a lot of good, worthwhile music out there - even if its not as mainstream as the Beatles and Led Zep were, it is there. Check out Them Crooked Vultures (JP Jones as bassist), Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Arcade Fire etc etc.

This
    If you only listen to mainstream stuff then it has been ****.
    If you bother to search out new bands (which in the myspace and then youtube era isn't difficult) then there has been some brilliant stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

To be fair, as much as I and others would slag off lists like that for being incredibly short-sighted in the music it considers, this notion that "mainstream=****e" is a bit lazy too. I don't think anyone would argue that songs like Umbrella are great songs in and of themselves, regardless of whether it's the Rihanna or Manics version you choose to listen to.

The only way you could truly pick the song of the decade would be if you listened to every song released in that decade.

Even based on your own tastes, it would be a vast undertaking even for people with modest tastes/collections.

I'll leave it to the Q mag listophiles. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

The Strokes - Hard to Explain

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I knew Mr Brightside would be one of the top ones, it's a great song. Personally my top ones would include:

Outkast - Hey Ya
    Sia - The Girl you Lost to Cocaine
    Elbow - One Day Like This
    QOTSA - No One Knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Bland insipid 'mortgage rock' at its worst. Take a look at the number 1 singles from the early 80's:

http://www.onlineweb.com/theones/1980_1984.htm

Fair enough, there are some awful songs but there are also acts like The Specials, Blondie, The Jam and David Bowie having sustained success. Most of the number 1's (even the cheesy stuff) are memorable all-time pop classics which would be familiar to almost anyone of any age.

Now look at the 2000's:

http://www.onlineweb.com/theones/2005.htm

I'd say I only recognise about a quarter of them.

Yeah, VH1 did a "Every number one since 1980" filler thing and the quality of some of the early 80s numbers was unbelievable - Dexys and Madness as well as the acts you've listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Driver 8 wrote: »
    To be fair, as much as I and others would slag off lists like that for being incredibly short-sighted in the music it considers, this notion that "mainstream=****e" is a bit lazy too. I don't think anyone would argue that songs like Umbrella are great songs in and of themselves, regardless of whether it's the Rihanna or Manics version you choose to listen to.

I would not subscribe to that (mainstream = crap) either. Its just the people that generally criticise modern music dont usually listen to much new stuff at all, if they do its generally mainstream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I think these two are classic Noughties tracks also ..

Yeah, VH1 did a "Every number one since 1980" filler thing and the quality of some of the early 80s numbers was unbelievable - Dexys and Madness as well as the acts you've listed.

I think the 80s will eventually be lionized in the same way as the 60s. Probably already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Read my Mind - The Killers

Anyone?

stovelid wrote: »
    I think the 80s will eventually be lionized in the same way as the 60s. Probably already is.
    Well it was the decade that brought us Falco, Men Without Hats, Tight Fit and Baltimora. :pac:

• Advertisement

Well it was the decade that brought us Falco, Men Without Hats, Tight Fit and Baltimora. :pac:

Exactly my point. :)

Advertisement