Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 108 Discussion **Spoilers during event**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

If Rashad does that with Rampage i think he will be eating the canvas again.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Lord Muck wrote: »
    Junior Dos Santos was the big winner of the night in my opinion. Very good stand up, apparently he has very good BJJ , but i've never seen him use it , he just tends to knock people out early, i cant remember if any of his fights in the ufc went to the ground. He's a very dangerous dude, even with his mangled yoda like ear.

That one ear must draw people in to get them KO'd a huge win over another big name, fans of only UFC wont know Yvel but any fight fans know he is a tough top tier guy.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It was a great fight card I thought, the earlier fights were much more exciting then the main event imho... Paul Daley was terrific but well, short. :)

The Bjj shown in the earlier fights was astounding, particularly that inverted leg triangle!

Cant wait to see Rashad versus Rampage, but does that mean it will be Rashad vs Sliva, then Rampage then a title shot with Machida??

I dont see anyone who can challenge Machida at the moment after Silva has been knocked back...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Machida has his rematch with Shogun first.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, of course, though I was pointing out the quality of Rashads opponents leading up to a (presumed) rematch with Machida. Shogun .v. Machida is a fight I want to see, i just love how Machida fights and also how his very existance annoys the US-"fan"-boys on sites like Sherdog. :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Watching the weigh ins, I think daley was one pound off and was allowed to go for a run and weigh in again 2 hours later. Not sure if he did or if he made the weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Watching the weigh ins, I think daley was one pound off and was allowed to go for a run and weigh in again 2 hours later. Not sure if he did or if he made the weight.

The docs wouldnt let him even try lose anymore weight, because he was too weak and it would have been too dangerous!

Usually if you dont make the weight you lose 20% of your purse (10% of that goes to your opponent), plus you are not eligible for fight bonuses( sub/ko of the night), but because the commision wouldnt let him lose it, he only lost 10% of his fight purse and was still eligible for fight bonuses

• Registered Users Posts: 19,150 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The doctors wouldnt allow him the extra time to weigh-in because he looked so bad after the cut.

To the fight was at a Catchweight of 172 lbs

Thinking about it i suppose it's good, good in the way the UFC treats the fighters like that with doctors. Health first etc

I know Dana white isn't everybody's biggest fan but i really like him for the fact he puts on the fights the fans want to see. Thats his public image and that's the image you and i see of him. Private life we cannot judge because we can't base opinions on what has been heard.

Odd thing to go onto i know but i see over the net alot of dana white bashing

Thinking about it i suppose it's good, good in the way the UFC treats the fighters like that with doctors. Health first etc

I know Dana white isn't everybody's biggest fan but i really like him for the fact he puts on the fights the fans want to see. Thats his public image and that's the image you and i see of him. Private life we cannot judge because we can't base opinions on what has been heard.

Odd thing to go onto i know but i see over the net alot of dana white bashing
    I think it has more to do with the athletic comission than the UFC in this case, but you are right about dana looking out for his fighters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭NiamhDunk

I know Dana white isn't everybody's biggest fan but i really like him for the fact he puts on the fights the fans want to see.

you must be having a laugh. is coleman v couture a fight the fns want to see? or tito v chuck 3? does anyone really wanna see bj destroy another sub par opponent ?the guy only cares about one thing, money. hes a hungry c*nt and its affecting the ufc. he's putting out too many events and quality is diminishing, culminating in next months embarrassing main event. these guys should have fought ten years ago but not now, theyre both past it. ufc 100 was suppossed to be the springboard but instead its gone downhill. every card since 100 has been poor enough bar the odd enjoyable fight (machida shogun, randy nog). id nearly go so far as to say that the last two strikeforce events were much more enjoyable than anything ufc has put out since 100.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

NiamhDunk wrote: »
    you must be having a laugh. is coleman v couture a fight the fns want to see? or tito v chuck 3? does anyone really wanna see bj destroy another sub par opponent ?the guy only cares about one thing, money. hes a hungry c*nt and its affecting the ufc. he's putting out too many events and quality is diminishing, culminating in next months embarrassing main event. these guys should have fought ten years ago but not now, theyre both past it. ufc 100 was suppossed to be the springboard but instead its gone downhill. every card since 100 has been poor enough bar the odd enjoyable fight (machida shogun, randy nog). id nearly go so far as to say that the last two strikeforce events were much more enjoyable than anything ufc has put out since 100.

Amazing logic here

What are you talking about? Downhill??
    BJ Penn v Kenny Florian
    Anderson Silva v Forrest Griffin
    Johny Hendricks v Amir Sadollah
    Ricardo Almeida v Kendall Grove
    Kurt Pellegrino v Josh Neer

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira v Randy Couture
    Thiago Silva v Keith Jardine
    Jake Rosholt v Chris Leben
    Nate Marquardt v Demian Maia
    Brandon Vera v Krzysztof Soszynski

Vitor Belfort v Rich Franklin
    Junior Dos Santos v Mirko Cro Cop
    Paul Daley v Martin Kampmann
    Josh Koscheck vFrank Trigg
    Tyson Griffin v Hermes Franca
    Efrain Escudero v Cole Miller

Lyoto Machida v Mauricio Rua
    Cain Velasquez v Ben Rothwell
    Gleison Tibau vJosh Neer
    Joe Stevenson vSpencer Fisher
    Anthony Johnson v Yoshiyuki Yoshida

Randy Couture v Brandon Vera
    Dan Hardy v Mike Swick
    Michael Bisping v Denis Kang
    Matt Brown v James Wilks
    Ross Pearson v Aaron Riley

Forrest Griffin v Tito Ortiz
    Josh Koscheck v Anthony Johnson
    Paulo Thiago v Jacob Volkmann
    Antonio Nogueira v Luiz Cane
    Amir Sadollah v Phil Baroni
    Ben Saunders v Marcus Davis
    Kendall Grove v Jake Rosholt

BJ Penn Diego Sanche
    Frank Mir Cheick Kongo
    Jon Fitch Mike Pierce
    Kenny Florian Clay Guida
    Stefan Struve Paul Buentello
    Alan Belcher Wilson Gouvei

I rest my case:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

some i agree with some i dont

personally i dont want to see randy v coleman
    coleman is way past it and shouldnt even be in the ufc
    id rather have seen randy fight someone else and randy
    definitely isnt past it
    on ufc 109 is see theres serra v trigg
    triggs another guy whos past it, then again so is serra
    id have no interest in seeing those guys fight
    last weekends ufc was good i thought and exciting
    i wouldnt say quality is diminishing but it doesnt help
    when the likes of lesnar and silva are out long term either
    and surely the likes of gsp could take one more fight a year.
    Of course it doesnt help either that the likes of bj and gsp
    have wiped out all the competition in their division and silva
    for that matter but theres still plenty of quality besides.

As for chuck tito tuf
    i think that show is played out and its time to call it a day
    as much as i love chuck i think he shouldve called it a day
    and they are both well past it but there have been that
    many seasons of tuf it was bound to happen sometime given
    how many fighters have been coaches on it.
    hopefully theyll get lesnar and mir on it someday, preferable
    before they fight

The last two strikeforce events were on par with the ufc and
    the melendez thomson fight was as good as any fight seen
    in the ufc in the past year but theres still not enough quality
    there when the likes of lindland and whitehead make the main cards.

mailburner wrote: »
    some i agree with some i dont

personally i dont want to see randy v coleman
    coleman is way past it and shouldnt even be in the ufc
    id rather have seen randy fight someone else and randy
    definitely isnt past it

As for chuck tito tuf
    i think that show is played out and its time to call it a day
    as much as i love chuck i think he shouldve called it a day
    and they are both well past it but there have been that
    many seasons of tuf it was bound to happen sometime given
    how many fighters have been coaches on it.
    hopefully theyll get lesnar and mir on it someday, preferable
    before they fight

I am actually lookin forward to randy v coleman. As for Lesnar and Mir as TUF coaches, I think thats a brilliant idea, that has the potential of being a cracking show!

Im more interested in Dana White the money hungry c*nt who puts on matches people dont want to see apparently. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

There has certainly been a hangover since ufc 100. They have not had any top cards since it, and I have actually enjoyed strikeforce more tbh. Hopefully it will pick up again this year when all the champs come back.

I heard Dana is back talking with M1 about fedor and moussai. If he can bring them over this year then things should get a whole lot more exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

he lost 10 per cent of his purse for not making weight which went to Hazlett

I suppose me and my mates looking forward to 109 because we have a longstanding thing with coleman and hate couture. So it's a backs against the wall win for coleman hopefully. But sure thats not a big draw i've learnt more and it seems dana appeals to this more because with every new city there seems to be more " Intelligent " fans like i personally can't wait to see Marquart and Maia fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I'm very interested to see what Coleman can do here actually - people say he's past it but he sure put a beating on Stephan (who while not anywhere near the top of the food chain is always a game opponent, and comes in strong and fit) and showed against Shogun that he can still take a hit and has such good wrestling that he can still finish take-downs even when gassed to all hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I would expect Couture to win by decision.

I can't see Couture losing simply because I don't see Coleman:

A) outgassing Randy
    B) outstriking Randy
    C) Submitting him

whereas I could see Randy doing all 3. I do see Couture possibly being on his back in round 1 but I think he'll be too clever with strategy and footwork to get caught by a blanket decision.

Before reading further, fights that "people want to see" is not a description of why i watch MMA. I am as excited for a GSP v Silva fight as i would be for a Lytle v ... anyone. But......

Whats all this UFC bashing in favour of Strikeforce? Strikeforce haven't got the capacity to put on fights "people want to see".

Le v Smith? Er.... No!
    Fedor v Rogers? Er.... No!
    Lawler v Shields? Perhaps, but if that was a UFC Headline you'd moan!
    Shamrock v Diaz? Er... No!

Perhaps the only fights i've looked forward to seeing on Strikeforce cards were Mousasi v bablu and Carano v Cyborg.

Now i'm not bashing Strikeforce, but come on, saying Strikeforce i sbetter than UFC is a joke.

As regards Dana being a "Money Hungry C*nt" or whatever it was? Wake up would you? The man has done incredible things for the sport. Yeah, a lot of people love to hate him and he can be a bit petty sometimes (especially if the whole banning of AKA fighters over a dispute with John Fitch was true), but who has been more important than him in not only the worldwide growth of the sport but in gaining mainstream acceptance and showing these athletes to be just that and not savages?

I for one like the fact that there is more cards nowadays. I'vve said it before, it doesnt have to be Lesnar v The Terminator for there to be a great MMA card, i think UFC 108 proved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Before reading further, fights that "people want to see" is not a description of why i watch MMA. I am as excited for a GSP v Silva fight as i would be for a Lytle v ... anyone. But......

Really?? I find that hard to believe..
    Whats all this UFC bashing in favour of Strikeforce? Strikeforce haven't got the capacity to put on fights "people want to see".

Im not saying strikeforce is better. Ufc is still king, but the recent strikeforce events have been more enjoyable than the ufc ones.

Really?? I find that hard to believe..

Having never met me, can you tell me why you find it hard to believe?

Im not saying strikeforce is better. Ufc is still king, but the recent strikeforce events have been more enjoyable than the ufc ones.

The point of my post was not to indicate which one was more enjoyable, but to address the fact that while bashing UFC for not putting on "fights people want to see", it's silly to use another company who hardly ever put on such fights as the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭NiamhDunk

Le v Smith?
    Fedor v Rogers?

both of the above fights were savage. smiths victory has to be one of the best comebacks in mma history, and it was pretty class to watch cung display all his different array of unusual kicks.

fedor rogers was savage, one of the most exciting fights of the year.

wat about
    melendez v thompson? fight of the year in my opinion.

im not saying strikeforce is better than ufc, but just compare their recent cards. the last two strikeforce events were very exciting to watch, certainly more enjoyable to watch than any card ufc has put out since 100. this months strikeforce event looks like a pretty good card aswel, diaz v zaromskis looks like a great matchup. ill watch diaz zaromskis any day over watching two mid forty year olds wrestle each other for 3 rounds.

dana has done an awful lot for the sport, but i still think hes an awful jerk.especially the overhyping and overmarketing he does for the fights. eg - the countdown to 108 - it was all about rashad and how he loves knocking ppl out and theres no way it could go to a decision and then rashad literally came out and fought for a decision with no intention of even trying to knock silva out. same for bjs last two fights. building up diego and and florian to be more than what they are, saying that 'bjs in for the battle of his life' etc etc. who is dana trying to fool? all he gives a sh*t about is doing anything to sell a few more ppvs.hes only a meathead who cares for nothing but dollar signs

both of the above fights were savage. smiths victory has to be one of the best comebacks in mma history, and it was pretty class to watch cung display all his different array of unusual kicks.

fedor rogers was savage, one of the most exciting fights of the year.

wat about
    melendez v thompson? fight of the year in my opinion.

im not saying strikeforce is better than ufc, but just compare their recent cards. the last two strikeforce events were very exciting to watch, certainly more enjoyable to watch than any card ufc has put out since 100. this months strikeforce event looks like a pretty good card aswel, diaz v zaromskis looks like a great matchup. ill watch diaz zaromskis any day over watching two mid forty year olds wrestle each other for 3 rounds.

dana has done an awful lot for the sport, but i still think hes an awful jerk.especially the overhyping and overmarketing he does for the fights. eg - the countdown to 108 - it was all about rashad and how he loves knocking ppl out and theres no way it could go to a decision and then rashad literally came out and fought for a decision with no intention of even trying to knock silva out. same for bjs last two fights. building up diego and and florian to be more than what they are, saying that 'bjs in for the battle of his life' etc etc. who is dana trying to fool? all he gives a sh*t about is doing anything to sell a few more ppvs.hes only a meathead.

He needs to hype and market, it's called business.

And now you're disrespecting Sanchez and Florian? Both men were genuine contenders and earned their shots at the best. Sanchez was in the hands down best fight of 09 v Guida. You think there was others who deserved the shot at BJ?

dana has done an awful lot for the sport, but i still think hes an awful jerk.especially the overhyping and overmarketing he does for the fights. eg - the countdown to 108 - it was all about rashad and how he loves knocking ppl out and theres no way it could go to a decision and then rashad literally came out and fought for a decision with no intention of even trying to knock silva out. same for bjs last two fights. building up diego and and florian to be more than what they are, saying that 'bjs in for the battle of his life' etc etc. who is dana trying to fool? all he gives a sh*t about is doing anything to sell a few more ppvs.hes only a meathead who cares for nothing but dollar signs

Promoter in promoting shocker.

About your point here and relation to Coleman/Couture & Lidell/Tito, a promoter like anyone's in sales and marketing there job is to create need when there may not be before NOT always giving someone extactly what they want every time.

Strikeforce as much as I like them is mainly about protecting their drawing cards. UFC's matchmaking is far more competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mark "the Hammer" Coleman takes this via flying gogoplata

Advertisement