Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 108 Discussion **Spoilers during event**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

What ya watching on Monday Raw or Impact lads?

Come on Silva ya tart

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maharg92

silva you fool

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He had him ready to finish, just didnt have the gas to follow through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Evan's is going to win by decision but Silva is going to have done more damage. Crappy fights like this demonstrate the limitations of the UFC scoring system.

• Advertisement

Legit dont care about who wins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Bollocks............. pitty

Evan's is going to win by decision but Silva is going to have done more damage. Crappy fights like this demonstrate the limitations of the UFC scoring system.

Rashad controled most of the fight, although he didnt do any damage, i still think he'd have won under Pride rules. Silva landed one good shot throughout the fight and done nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maharg92

anyone else see dana talking to silva just before the decision was announced wonder what he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Silva should have pushed the pace from the start and he would have had that match. Rashad was exposed in the last round and obviously didn't have an answer for Silvas power

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Enjoyed that.

Time for sleep now!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

Annoyed as fcuk with that fight - Rashad and his bs takedowns served no purpose other than to avoid any sort of fight with Silva. More impressive was Silva getting back to his feet so easily, while receiving zero damage.
    To be able to win in this manner is bleh... especially after shogun lost because ''kicks to the legs don't end fights'', well you're not gonna get knocked out after falling on your ass a few times either :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I don't think we should start to say it was fixed. Silva was gassed and i loved how he managed to break Rashad's mental state. If Silva could do that imagine what rampage will have him like.

I don't think we should say it was fixed either with the angle of Rashad losing going into the Jackson fight. That sort of fight would still mainevent if the two of them had gone on three fight losing streaks. The tension is there and it's going to kick off come May.

Sorry, but anyone who says the fight was fixed is a f*ckin idiot!

MrStuffins wrote: »

Or posts on Sherdog (same thing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Annoyed as fcuk with that fight - Rashad and his bs takedowns served no purpose other than to avoid any sort of fight with Silva. More impressive was Silva getting back to his feet so easily, while receiving zero damage.
    To be able to win in this manner is bleh... especially after shogun lost because ''kicks to the legs don't end fights'', well you're not gonna get knocked out after falling on your ass a few times either :/

Yeah, decorated wrestler used takedowns to nullify the stand up of a fear striker.

Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Sam Stout was very impressive. I also really enjoyed Kampmann's performance.

Junior Dos Santos was VERY impressive, all the talk pre-fight was that if he stands and bangs with Yvel he will be put down, but WOW that was a big KO.

Paul Daley... Scary human being.

As for Rashad, i thought Thiago was very foolish. He had Rashad wobbling, but he was either gassed or too busy being a knob with the showboating to finish him off. Rashad won the first 2 rounds because Thiago Silva did nothing. And last time i checked winning 2 rounds is better than winning 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

MrStuffins wrote: »

Fight fixing definitely goes on (obviously) but I agree I doubt that fight was fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Anyone have a link where I can watch the fights in reasonable quality?
    I used to rely on quickflicksnow.com but both links they have for 108 aren't working.
    Watched most of the fights on mma-core.com but in piss poor quality with out of sync sound.

Dragan wrote: »
    Yeah, decorated wrestler used takedowns to nullify the stand up of a fear striker.

Crazy.

:rolleyes: Yes, understandable captain obvious, but he did nothing while in dominant positions on the ground.... He basically used takedowns to win the fight on points - avoiding a fight both in the standup and while on the gound... My point was that it is pretty ****ty that a fight can be won in this way, whereas destroying someone with leg kicks seemingly won't get the same result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Seifer wrote: »
    Anyone have a link where I can watch the fights in reasonable quality?
    I used to rely on quickflicksnow.com but both links they have for 108 aren't working.
    Watched most of the fights on mma-core.com but in piss poor quality with out of sync sound.

http://www.mmalinker.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭RustyBeanTin

where can i watch ufc 108 at or when will it be showed on sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Thanks but seems to be of similar quality to mma-core.

In addition, Rami Genaur of FightMetric found this fun stat:

Despite landing eight takedowns throughout the match, Evans managed to land only three strikes on the ground. It is exceedingly rare to see an instance where a fighter lands more takedowns than ground strikes. In fact, Evans now holds the record for least strikes landed by a fighter with five or more takedowns landed.

This, of course, begs the question represented by the equation in the title: In the absence of any striking (or submission attempts, for that matter) once on the ground, are takedowns really an effective offensive technique?

LOL nice stat to have right there!

I most definitely think that if you do no damage after the TD, it should not count as an offensive technique. Silva being able to standup so easily should at least cancel out the points scored for the takedown.

Not that it matters because the MMA scoring system is crap, but Fightmetric has Silva outstriking Evans 67-21 http://fightmetric.com/fights/Evans-Silva.html ....

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Paul Daley... Scary human being.

Agreed.... BUT.......

I really hope he works on his ground game. Anyone who saw his fight v Sheilds, where he got controlled and subbed will know what i'm talking about.

I've always had a soft spot for Daley, was gutted when he "retired" a while back and i'm so glad to see him finally on the big stage smashing guys in exciting fashion! Long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

maharg92 wrote: »
    anyone else see dana talking to silva just before the decision was announced wonder what he said

it was raschad though that he talked to before the decision....just tapped silva on the shoulder (as he does to a lot of the main event fighters afterwards)..... right????

and i think i probably told him to build up the rampage fight (win or lose - but it was a clear 2-1 decision for evans imo)
    I cant wait for the countdown show for that fight, could possibly be more entertaining than the fight itself

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

and i think i probably told him to build up the rampage fight (win or lose - but it was a clear 2-1 decision for evans imo)

Agreed!! Bar getting rocked in the 3rd round Rashad wasnt in any trouble and had controlled Silva via takedowns.
    I cant wait for the countdown show for that fight, could possibly be more entertaining than the fight itself

Hopefully so!! Two huge egos and personalities like that, TUF Was full of it, cant wait for some confirmation on when its going to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

where can i watch ufc 108 at or when will it be showed on sky?

You can only watch ufc on espn

fights4all.com do have the ufc fights tho it often can
    be a day or twoafter before they have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

Junior Dos Santos was the big winner of the night in my opinion. Very good stand up, apparently he has very good BJJ , but i've never seen him use it , he just tends to knock people out early, i cant remember if any of his fights in the ufc went to the ground. He's a very dangerous dude, even with his mangled yoda like ear.

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote: »

Paul Daley missed weight! Think weighed in at 172Lbs, therefore forfeits part(or all?) of his fight money
    scudzilla wrote: »
    ...........also will not be entitled to any of the Fight of the Night bonuses

Now, this is how i understood it. Didnt Anthony Johnson disqualify himself from bonuses when HE missed weight?

Paul Daley was given KO of the Night.

Advertisement