Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Dunne - Most Boring Man on Radio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

No he is interesting
    IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Reckon you should go to your doctor immediately, looks like the early signs on the onset of dementia :)

Noooo - I'm to young to swap my regular demented for dementia.

Seriously though - I just watched the clip of him interviewed by Podge and Rodge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMr_ND1_jSw). He's not that bad. He's getting the piss taken out of him for being bland, but he seems to be doing ok. I guess there's just something about Tom...

Ok - I'm doing a complete about turn. Can I change my vote???

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

No he is interesting
    Whats more entertaining watching the elderly pottering about, talking rubbish offering children boiled sweets from their pockets with no wrapper?
    NOTHING!:P

You've just given a visual desrciption of Tom Dunne's show right there...:D. Just looks more interesting than it sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 morningbright

humberklog wrote: »
    You've just given a visual desrciption of Tom Dunne's show right there...:D. Just looks more interesting than it sounds.

What can I say it makes me smile. The way Ray Darcy used to a million years ago. I have only just recently learned to love again:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

No he is interesting
    I have mixed opinions on Tom. As a bloke, he is no doubt a sound and decent skin. He rarely, if ever, puts a foot wrong. The kind of bloke your mother would love. And I don't mean that in a bad way. He is the new-age metrosexual man for our times...but I sometimes think he needs a shot of testosterone! Surely he can't be so bloody perfect!

His show can occasionally be interesting but can also be utter drivel. Some of his regular guests are uninteresting and opinionated. He is not the most boring man on radio but he is far from the most stimulating either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

God I dont normally listen to him but caught the last few minutes of the show today (I switched over early to listen to Eamonn Keane)... My god.. he had a guy on talking about his fascination with hoovers.. . absolute snoozeville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I'm not a big fan of Tom D. I thought he was brave going over to a talk radio slot and I think he probably should have remained doing music focussed programmes. He comes across as a nice decent fellow with an encyclopaedic knowledge of indie/rock music.

Anyway... I was looking up his entry on Wikipedia recently out of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Dunne

One thing that caught my attention was that his height is quoted there as being 6'3" !!
    I'm almost certain I was in a hotel a few years back and saw him in the flesh as well as seeing him live in TCD with Something Happens around 1987 (!) and was my distinct impression that he was quite small and perhaps not more than 5'7" ??
    Anyone know if the height stats on that entry are a wind-up ??

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

I worked in a warehouse over the summer. Terribly boring but i needed the money obviously. Everyday i would listen to the radio off my phone for some entertainment.

Tom Dunne was by far the best show on in that time in the morning. When i was exhausted at nine in the morning, i don't want to hear pat kenny's voice, or gerry ryan's, or george hook garbling on, or Eamon Keane getting up on his high horse about td's going to the toilet too often during the day or using up too many pens.

I think Tom Dunne is interesting and plays some of the best music on the radio. And perfect for his time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

No he is interesting
    The lad is the most boring radio presenter of all time. His voice makes me switch off, even the little "preview" of the "excitement" that will be on his show at 8.30am makes me switch off for a few minutes. I now also switch off when the Permanent TSB radio ad comes on.

What annoys me most is the he thinks he is hilarious with all his talk of central heating, kids, wife, bla bla bla! Boring mate, just boring. Aine Barry must be disgusted that she was replaced with this vacuum plus the other Newstalk presenters must be thinking that they are over performing with their interesting chat and wit compared to this dullard!

Even his music selection is stuck in the 80s (which i'm not totally against) but when played by him you feel they are being denigrated. As you can tell, i don't like the fella :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When I hear that fockin Blackrock/DunLaoire accent my skin literally crawls.

Tom Dunne is from Drimnagh.

No he is interesting
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Tom Dunne is from Drimnagh.

which makes his stupid muppet accent even harder to stomach. does anyone know anyone from drimnagh that speaks with an accent like TD's??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I think he is easy to listen to . yeah he drifts off a bit at times. But better than G Ryans self obsession.

No he is interesting
    Agree, Gerry Ryan et al are terrible too but that does not excuse Newstalk to follow suit and put this safe zone bore-athon on the airwaves. (although it is harsh to compare fluffy dunne with gerry ryan who is a total toss*r!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Ah give over, he's amusing and entertaining, this morning was a bit of fun being heavy metal day. He doesn't come across as thinking he's hilarious and people with a problem with how someone speaks need to step back and take a look at themselves, they're the ones with the problem if they have issues with people who are well spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Tom Dunne on Newstalk every morning from 9am to 12pm has to be the most boring presenter on radio. My god he rants on endlessly about his children for at least an hour of every show. He reminds me of that boring uncle you meet at weddings and furnerals, who gets excited by his own story telling of his so called 'life' and shows you photos in his wallet, not realizing his life is about as interesting as a study of herpes.

I used to always listen to Newstalk but just cannot bear him, and worse still he thinks he is funny.

Think we should all have a whip round and buy this man a life!!!!!

Guaranteed to mention every day :- his children for most of the program, Audrey his wife,

PLEASE VOTE IN THE POLL ON THIS THREAD

And I thought that I was the only one who found TD boring.

Great thread.

TD is a boring/tedious presenter.

No he is interesting
    fair point, i don't mind someone being well spoken but TD's voice just grates! Heavy metal day would have been fun if the radio would automatically sense music and switch on and off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

I think he only played about six songe today over three hours.....I was very disappointed, I was really looking forward to this show:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Van Occupanther

I like Tom in the mornings, especially when you look at the options. Gerry Ryan is a <snip>, Tubridy is too obnoxious for words and D'Arcy once had a good show, but about 5 years back he became far too pleased with himself and the show is mostly unlistenable these days. <snip>

At least Tom doesn't take himself too seriously, plays good tunes and has relaxed, witty style about him. The 20 minute ramble when he reads the papers always makes me laugh. He could do with a better team and few more interesting guests but all in all, he's doing ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I like Tom in the mornings, especially when you look at the options. Gerry Ryan is a <snip>, Tubridy is too obnoxious for words and D'Arcy once had a good show, but about 5 years back he became far too pleased with himself and the show is mostly unlistenable these days. <snip>

At least Tom doesn't take himself too seriously, plays good tunes and has relaxed, witty style about him. The 20 minute ramble when he reads the papers always makes me laugh. He could do with a better team and few more interesting guests but all in all, he's doing ok.

You seem to be new around here so I have only snipped your post. Please refrain from personal abuse of presenters. You are more than welcome to comment on their presenting styles however. This is why the Tubridy comment has been left ;)

It might be an idea for you to have a quick re-read of the charter.

Forum Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I enjoy his waffle. Waffle on Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No he is interesting
    God help us is all I can say.:rolleyes:

No wonder the place is gone mad with this 'grade inflation 'debate.

That man turns out the greatest tosh and arse wind known to radio:D

Sweet Jesus- ten minutes talking about putting on his coat:D:D

If it's your level, hey , who am I to criticise, but I'd have more respect for myself to be honest:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ye must have upset Tom lads. He's not on this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Now where's the "Condescending post of the day" button ?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Trivia alert :
    Am I right that the height given for Tom Dunne in Wikipedia (6' 3") is
    way taller than he really is ??

I seem to recall seeing him in the flesh and seeming to register he was not
    much more that 5'8" ?

-ifc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

No he is interesting
    koolkid wrote: »

If the posts here stopped him being on this morning, PLEASE PLEASE keep posting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

No he is interesting
    koolkid wrote: »

Probably has nappy rash :rolleyes:, or some other childish problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

scottyboy wrote: »
    The lad is the most boring radio presenter of all time. His voice makes me switch off, even the little "preview" of the "excitement" that will be on his show at 8.30am makes me switch off for a few minutes. I now also switch off when the Permanent TSB radio ad comes on.

What annoys me most is the he thinks he is hilarious with all his talk of central heating, kids, wife, bla bla bla! Boring mate, just boring. Aine Barry must be disgusted that she was replaced with this vacuum plus the other Newstalk presenters must be thinking that they are over performing with their interesting chat and wit compared to this dullard!

Even his music selection is stuck in the 80s (which i'm not totally against) but when played by him you feel they are being denigrated. As you can tell, i don't like the fella :)

Wow Scottyboy, must be great being you ie PERFECT in every way!

Isnt it amazing how everyone around here (on this radio forum) are so brilliant,competent and perfect at what they do in their day job, that they are qualified to offend, critisise, slag off and belittle (title of this thread about Tom for example!) anyone and everyone whose day job happens to be working on radio?? Jesus thank god my day job is not done in public only to be slagged off.

Do we own them or something? Be critical by all means but some of it is way OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well if you have a look at the poll the naysayers are losing.

People are more than welcome to challenge the OP and give their own positive side to the story.

If you have a problem with any post that you think is over the top, please report it incase either tbh or myself missed it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

I listen to Tom most days now,and personally he's a refreshing breath of air , compared to G.Ryan or D'arcy.

Joe today was just not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Slidey wrote: »
    Well if you have a look at the poll the naysayers are losing.

People are more than welcome to challenge the OP and give their own positive side to the story.

If you have a problem with any post that you think is over the top, please report it incase either tbh or myself missed it.

Thanks

Thanks Slidey. No, my point is, why do we have to go so hard on these people personally about the way they do their job?

I dont know if they read these forums or not but I know I would not like to be reading such negativity about what I do for a living. That in essence is my point. If they are earning ,0000s of cash, then it can numb the pain but the likes of Tom dunne and some of the others who get a daily hiding are probably not earning the sort of dosh that would cushion the hard hitting comments of us hurlers on the ditch.

I know I know, maybe I should grow a pair...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No he is interesting
    Can't bear his inane smugness. How he thinks everything he says is funny,laughing at his jokes the whole time. I often listen to the Newstalk breakfast show but as soon as anyone mentions 9'Oclock I switch channels. ANYTHING is better than Tom Dunne

Advertisement