Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Dunne - Most Boring Man on Radio

Options
  • 21-12-2009 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Tom Dunne on Newstalk every morning from 9am to 12pm has to be the most boring presenter on radio. My god he rants on endlessly about his children for at least an hour of every show. He reminds me of that boring uncle you meet at weddings and furnerals, who gets excited by his own story telling of his so called 'life' and shows you photos in his wallet, not realizing his life is about as interesting as a study of herpes.

I used to always listen to Newstalk but just cannot bear him, and worse still he thinks he is funny.

Think we should all have a whip round and buy this man a life!!!!!

Guaranteed to mention every day :- his children for most of the program, Audrey his wife,

PLEASE VOTE IN THE POLL ON THIS THREAD

Is Tom Dunne the most boring person on Radio 219 votes

Yes He is as boring as a Black and Decker
    0%
    No he is interesting
    100%
    TwoShedsJackson_sheepcuppasuper_furryWashoutGreenmangiftgrubparasiteCalhounDavey DevilCameramanJoe10000moby2101BlackjackPWEIliam24Ronan Raver77Badabinggary the greatmikeym 219 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

I like listening to Tom Dunne in the morning. It's easy listening and I do find him quite funny. Maybe I'm the boring uncle you're talking about ;-).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Preferred him on Pet Sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

No he is interesting
    He always makes me think I hope I don;t get that boring when I get to his age, and then I realise I am older :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have to confess his rambling discourse is starting to win me over in the 9-10 period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭the iceman come

No he is interesting
    The thing about Tom is that essentially he is harmless,ye know?

In these tough times where all around there is doom and gloom and far too much reality, he gets to waffle on for hrs every weekday about....well nothing:rolleyes:

I mean he is not opinionated like Gerry Ryan, he has the sense of humour of a sponge and the personality of lemming,but I would rather have his harmless drone above Ryan or Kenny any day.

To answer your question though,yes he is very very boring,but perhaps the question should be/ "is there a place for tom dunne on the radio?

I would say YES.

• Advertisement

No he is interesting
    The thing about Tom is that essentially he is harmless,ye know?

In these tough times where all around there is doom and gloom and far too much reality, he gets to waffle on for hrs every weekday about....well nothing:rolleyes:

I mean he is not opinionated like Gerry Ryan, he has the sense of humour of a sponge and the personality of lemming,but I would rather have his harmless drone above Ryan or Kenny any day.

To answer your question though,yes he is very very boring,but perhaps the question should be/ "is there a place for tom dunne on the radio?

I would say YES.

So to paraphrase you say he is harmless, waffles, has the sense of humour of a sponge and the personality of a lemming? and you STILL listen to him?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

No he is interesting
    yep he can be difficult to listen to at times..believe you me...believe you me. ...i wouldn't listen to him everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Tom Dunne on Newstalk every morning from 9am to 12pm has to be the most boring presenter on radio. My god he rants on endlessly about his children for at least an hour of every show. He reminds me of that boring uncle you meet at weddings and furnerals, who gets excited by his own story telling of his so called 'life' and shows you photos in his wallet, not realizing his life is about as interesting as a study of herpes.

I used to always listen to Newstalk but just cannot bear him, and worse still he thinks he is funny.

Think we should all have a whip round and buy this man a life!!!!!

Guaranteed to mention every day :- his children for most of the program, Audrey his wife,

OP would you ever just get a parachute and Jump..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

No he is interesting
    I have posted about this before. I always arrive into work about five minutes late and because I cycle in, I can't change the channel easily when he comes on after the earlier Newstalk programme. Five minutes of his drivel every morning is enough to make me happy to get into work.
    What makes it even worse is, I heard him on the earlier show a few days ago and he came across as quite a sound and interesting guy - so he's actually hamming up all this talk about his favourite/least favourite jacket and his lovely cups of tea etc!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mike rolite

I LOVE Tom Dunne. Has me laughing on my way into work every morning and my job is compltely **** so thats saying something. Leave Tom alone. You're just jealous.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I listened to him this morning after the nine o'clock news and had to switch it off, he was just waffling on. For a musical man, you'd think he'd know which one the play button is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No he is interesting
    I have heard boring, vaccuos, thin as kittensoft tissue, shows in my time, But Dunne's has to go to No.1.

When I hear that fockin Blackrock/DunLaoire accent my skin literally crawls.

Has to be, just HAS to be the most boring meaningless stupid embarrassing 3 hours of Radio ever broadcast.

No he is interesting
    DON'T FORGET TO VOTE IN THE POLL ON THIS THREAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭HermitHorace

I quite liked Pet sounds but have not really listened to his show on Newstalk much and I'm hijacking this post to announce my dislike to the Ray Darcy show.

He's like Irelands radio answer to Oprah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I find him light hearted and entertaining and he is my preferred listening in the 9 - 12 slot. I can't stand Tubbridy or Gerry Ryan so I fird him the one that suits my listening best in the morning, that and Take a parachute and jump is one of my favourite tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭the iceman come

No he is interesting
    So to paraphrase you say he is harmless, waffles, has the sense of humour of a sponge and the personality of a lemming? and you STILL listen to him?????

Strangeley enough, Yes:confused:

Normally I just listen to some music, but when I do turn on the radio and all I hear is the depressing serious stuff in the morning, I look for Tom to act as an instant antidote to reality. Peverse logic I guess you could call it.:pac: But there it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyplant

No he is interesting
    "I have heard boring, vaccuos, thin as kittensoft tissue, shows in my time, But Dunne's has to go to No.1.

When I hear that fockin Blackrock/DunLaoire accent my skin literally crawls."

I think he said one day that he is from Driminagh, same thing I suppose.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

I like him, its better that Ray "I can save the world" Darcey, there is a large dose of sarcasim with Tom Dunne and self-deprecation. I think it works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Tom is cool and down to earth.
    He earned his chops on the road.
    And yes he IS funny.( Dr Bill, anyone...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY87L_q2KWs

Knows about football (even though he supports ManU)
    Let's aim our fire at self important G.Ryan and Tubridy

No he is interesting
    Dr Bill doesn't sound anything like Bill Cullen and is the type of humour my 80 year old mother might find slightly amusing once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Dr Bill doesn't sound anything like Bill Cullen and is the type of humour my 80 year old mother might find slightly amusing once.
    Ah but he sounds so much BETTER than Bill Cullen.
    We'll have to agree to differ on this

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

tom's the best - the rest of you can go take a parachute and jump!!

ah.. he's chirpy and relates to the rest of us, i find other shows getting more and more pretentiously self righteous.
    as for darcy's odd one out quiz... kill me.

i like Tom Dunnes 'down the pub' banter style and WHEN he's funny..its in a natural way. Although he does say 'believe you me' quite a bit !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Automator

He is a complete blouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Given the choice between Tubridy, Ryan, D'Arcy or Dunne more often than not I choose Dunne. I voted no...but I think "interesting" might be going a bit too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

No he is interesting
    one assumes that tom dunne,s life has been nothing but nice , that he never encountered a single eppisode of unpleasantness in his 40 years plus on this earth , what else could explain his irepressible cheerfullness

the definiton of a metrosexual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

No he is interesting
    He's a little boring but that YouTube clip is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

To be honest I hated him on that slot for a long time, but these days I tend to listen quite a lot. Nice relaxing radio instead of Jerry Ryan,tubridy etc eughhh.

He is good for keeping the stress levels down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

No he is interesting
    I voted boring but he is a lot better than his competition in fairness

No he is interesting
    Yeah have to agree a total lack of decent radio programmes at that time. Absolutely nothing to listen to, but then again still think nothing is better than Tom Dunne. Every time I try and give him another chance only last a few minutes before dwitching off again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No he is interesting
    Dopey wrote: »
    I like listening to Tom Dunne in the morning. It's easy listening and I do find him quite funny.

Problem is, the guy cant speak properly, half his sentences are back to front, with frequent mumblings (kinda off mic)? atrocious pronunciation, appalling diction too :confused: . . . then he talks about his kids & wife all the time > And he never stops talking about his bleedin coat > and don't forget his fixation with 'Man Flu' & his bleedin 'Man shed' too ...........

What a tosser :rolleyes:

Advertisement