Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little things that annoy on you on boards...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm a member of alot of different forum sites, and am not too active on any of them, and the thing that i hate more than anything is people that get to technical with details, rules etc. I read forums daily, but am abit shy about posting and when i occasionally build up the confidence to post i get hammered by some troll about some mistake in my post or that i'm braking some obscure nonsense rule. So for me, it's the general feeling of hostility or snobbishness i get when reading forums.

STFU n00b :rolleyes:

:pac: ololololololol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

Patronising users, usually moderators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When you start a thread with a poll and the first post is giving out that they can't see the poll.
    It'll be there in a minute, I have to complete it first! A bit of patience please

And then you get given out for not adding Atari Jaguar.
    It was explained to me years ago why that is there but I'd don't subscribe to these stupid rules. Plus I've forgotten the reason by now
    When I do a poll I give good options, don't like it then start your damn thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Zynks wrote: »
    and how do you feel about bad spelling?

Guess i can add posters who have to point out miniscule typos or spellings errors in other peoples posts to my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

blow69 wrote: »
    I particularly hate the phrase "absolute tripe"

What is tripe?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripe

Here is an example:
    http://www.digital-tv.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/kyle.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Guess i can add posters who have to point out miniscule typos or spellings errors in other peoples posts to my list.
    He he.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

magma69 wrote: »
    Who, the guy just to his right?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

People who consistently try and pull a thread off topic even after been warned by a mod. If you feel so strongly about something, start your own thread.

People who don't read the OP and instead spout their own particular flavour of rubbish.

Anyone who writes tl:dr. This isn't a contribution, go somewhere else and amuse yourself.

Keyboard warriors of any description.

Religious/atheism debates. Neither side can prove anything either way. And yes neither side is in any way superior to each other. Let's live and let live on this.

Sophistry of any kind. You're not impressing anyone.

People who don't like cheese.

People who don't like cheese but eat pizza.

Hugh Jackm- oh wait that's been done!:)

Pointless stuff like: Yore Ma!, IBTL etc.

Oh and kneejerk racism. Try and live outside Ireland for a bit and get some perspective.

That is all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

People who quote a large post and then type 'This.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm a member of alot of different forum sites, and am not too active on any of them, and the thing that i hate more than anything is people that get to technical with details, rules etc. I read forums daily, but am abit shy about posting and when i occasionally build up the confidence to post i get hammered by some troll about some mistake in my post or that i'm braking some obscure nonsense rule. So for me, it's the general feeling of hostility or snobbishness i get when reading forums.

This..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

-People who are blatantly rude-but not abusive, they know the rules- just because they're on the internet and are therefore "anonymous". It just makes them look like a jackass.

-if you disagree with a moderators decision, but it's a small thing and making a feedback thread would look petty, and you make a small mention of it in a thread and then they spazz.

-the way some users think that mods constantly have each other's back and are united against them. Little do they know that mods are frequently at each other's throats.

-"your ma" jokes. This stopped being funny years ago. It's just cringy now, the joke's long over.

-the constant "DO YOU HAVE A SOURCE FOR THAT??" demands that are brought out at every single tiny claim. "the sky is mighty blue today" "DO YOU HAVE A SOURCE FOR THAT???"

-the way people whinge that boards is changing. Tough **** guys, maybe if you could actually give examples of what you don't like about boards that's changing people might actually listen to you.

I'll think of more. There are many, many more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm hoping that I'm a little thing that annoys somebody on boards.

That would make me happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

People who don't bother their arse reading the Charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Trolls
    I honestly don't get it. They think it is cool to go against society and cause a minor annoyance to somebody on the internet. Then they go into the Prison forum and say "I didn't read the charter" or just insult Buffybot or Gordon thinking they are in the right.

TL;DR Quotes
    Big long drawling quotes from a random news article. Most of the quote is not really needed and could just be summarised with a link to the article. Most of the time the topic could be really interesting if the length of the post was shortened with just bullet points.

Boards is a lot better than most forums I visit though TBH. The banter is well mixed with the topics in most threads but there is always a few posters who don't get this and will just give smart-arse remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

jumpguy wrote: »

I hate it in AH when one wastes a first post opportunity with a crappy joke in hope for thanks.

Your go...

dawt

I hate when mods lock threads because "it has been discussed before" or "this discussion has come to and end"

I also hate when mods lock the thread but not before getting in the last word about how they feel about what is being discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah that really annoyes me too. Certain forums are the worst for it, the mods say "right this discussion has run its course" when people are still contributing. It really annoys me. It's not a mod's decision as to whether a discussion had run out or not, unless it's degenerated into abusive messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

I hate the way the GAA is portrayed here as ugly muck savages and all of Irelands problems are traced back to the GAA, have noticed it in a lot of threads here and it's very tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Trolls
    I honestly don't get it. They think it is cool to go against society and cause a minor annoyance to somebody on the internet. Then they go into the Prison forum and say "I didn't read the charter" or just insult Buffybot or Gordon thinking they are in the right.

TL;DR Quotes
    Big long drawling quotes from a random news article. Most of the quote is not really needed and could just be summarised with a link to the article. Most of the time the topic could be really interesting if the length of the post was shortened with just bullet points.

Boards is a lot better than most forums I visit though TBH. The banter is well mixed with the topics in most threads but there is always a few posters who don't get this and will just give smart-arse remarks.

TL;DR

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

People who reply to a post which involves the posters describing something that happened, only for some, oh so funny person, to write it from the other side.

e.g. "I bumped into an old lady today, she fell over, I felt bad"

replied with

"I'm in my 70s and was walking along today and got knocked over by some idiot". usually gets thanks too. It's old now. So stop it.

"Thanks" are now meaningless anyway. Take 'em out. PM them if you really are thankful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

People constantly going against rants in R&R, is it THAT difficult to grasp the fact you don't do that? If I was a mod of that forum I'd have a nervous breakdown I swear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

TheZohan wrote: »
    People who don't bother their arse reading the Charter.

What the hell's a charter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Both of these multi-quoting freaks.

(1) In one lengthy post they quote every poster they disagree with in the thread and answer each. Each quote is usually very short, we can't see the context, and their reply to the quote is a short, dismissive opinion.
    (2) They take a lengthy post from one person and multi-quote it. But again they butcher it and lose the context.

If you try to have a discussion with these people the number of quotes increase, the length of each quote reduces, and they end up telling you the dictionary definition of single words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Trolls.

The way you guys manage to pounce on the potentially good troll threads straight away, while crappy unimaginative ones manage to stay open for 2/3 pages :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

vinylmesh wrote: »
    The way you guys manage to pounce on the potentially good troll threads straight away, while crappy unimaginative ones manage to stay open for 2/3 pages :D.

Ah for the most part we don't, if it's a re-reg we generally will. Most of us try not to with the new ones.

But it's certainly something that we can look at. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Fight da power muppets and locking of thread while discussions are ongoing for mods to 'catch up'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I miss poo threads :(

EDIT: Actually, to find a thread I like, write out abig (and hopefully funny) reply only to find it was locked while writing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Even though I've done it myself, I always think it's kinda pathetic when people thank the mod's "banned" posts if they have some sort of beef with the person being banned. And the short amount of time it takes being a mod to change the nature of someone's posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

its annoying when people quote other posts for absolutely no reason.it makes reading boards on mobiles a pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

its annoying when people quote other posts for absolutely no reason.it makes reading boards on mobiles a pain

people who double post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sly digs that technically don't break the charter but are just downright bullying in some cases, especially if it's a regular thing.

Some United and Liverpool fans constant bickering on the soccer forum. :rolleyes:

When a mod cuts off a discussion for pre-emptive reasons.

People who negatively generalize all mods. 95% of them do a grand job and in some forums you'd have to pay me to do it.

People who don't realise mods are users outside of their forums.

People who don't get R&R.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement