Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Target Weight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I think a key to losing weight (not an expert btw) is to eat food that is both filling and satisfying to eat. On that basis I dont go in for eat cardboard flavoured mulch just because it is good for me.
    Yet when faced with a choice between a bowl of cornflakes, and couple of slices of Dolcelate or a Grenn and Blacks bar of milk chocolate, the bowl of cornflakes on its own is unequivocally better for me in terms of calories and hence weight loss. To assert anything else is simply bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

blorg wrote: »
    No, they are 8% sugar. The bar of Lindt sitting in front of me is 51% sugar.

I ate plenty of cornflakes while losing a significant amount of weight, they are quite filling for the amount of calories in them, IMO. Watch the calories going in and out and you will be fine.

I accept they are high-GI but a baguette is higher and that doesn't seem to do French cyclists any harm.

Oops, mixed the sugar content up with bran flakes. Of course there is nothing wrong with eating food you enjoy... love a bowl of cornflakes every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

mloc123 wrote: »
    Oops, mixed the sugar content up with bran flakes. Of course there is nothing wrong with eating food you enjoy... love a bowl of cornflakes every now and then.
    I am afraid I have been addicted to them since early childhood so you hit a raw nerve, my dealings with Cornflakes are not entirely rational.

One day when I was young my mother tried to economise by putting Dunnes Cornflakes into a Kelloggs box. One spoon was enough to reveal the deception. I remember that day vividly. I was sitting up in bed. It was a great effort just to sit up. And then THAT. IIRC she chose when I was very very ill to do it, thinking my fever would dull the senses... I have never quite forgiven her for that.

I have eaten them every day for breakfast since, religiously... the exception being when I am away from home when I go local, generally this means baguettes and jam or pastries but away in Ireland occasionally an Irish breakfast if I'm not expecting to do much that day... otherwise pancakes, toast or similar.

At home pastries and cappuccinos often make an appearance, particularly at weekends, but Cornflakes are a necessary "first course" without which I would not feel complete or even human.

For some reason I never want to eat Cornflakes away from my normal routine, indeed I would find it somewhat disgusting.

YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Same myself.. only recently given them up for wheetabix. I did buy myself a box about 2 weeks ago... they lasted about two days, nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Cornflakes

Same here, I almost live off the bloody things! Haha, now I can just imagine the amount of boardsie cyclists off to the shops to get the Cornflakes in the morning just because the mighty blorg eats them. Similar to the Chris Hoy association with Bran Flakes just bigger, and a lot more influential! (P.S. It is a thing with cyclist I know anyway, I was away on training camps a few times and almost all of them would be dying for the odd bowl every now and then! Haha...weird stuff:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

So now we know how to replace all that salt lost through sweat. I hear they have reduced the (very high) salt content in this cereal. Still prefer porridge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

mloc123 wrote: »
    Same myself.. only recently given them up for wheetabix. I did buy myself a box about 2 weeks ago... they lasted about two days, nom.

You can live off wheetabix. Used to eat 12 a day when I was younger (yes I had a problem).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deaner1

Hi Guys, in may 2007 i weighed 125kg i am now 80kg and feel great i hope to lose my final 28lbs this year and start to tone i done this with the help of www.leaneryou.ie check it out . let me know about your goals this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I have no weight goals. I must be of simlar build to Scoobydoo as I am 5'10 and a half and currently weigh 80.2kgs or 12st9lbs and when I am doing alot of cycling I hover between 12s 0lbs/76.2kg and 12st 4lbs/78.0kg. That'll do me, I like biscuits too much to go on a diet ...also crisps and chocolate and burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have no weight goals. I must be of simlar build to Scoobydoo as I am 5'10 and a half and currently weigh 80.2kgs or 12st9lbs and when I am doing alot of cycling I hover between 12s 0lbs/76.2kg and 12st 4lbs/78.0kg. That'll do me, I like biscuits too much to go on a diet ...also crisps and chocolate and burgers.
    Christ almighty that is heavy. You need to go on a starvation diet right now. Seriously. Don't delay.

Let me know how you get on.

As an aside... when is the next Goldsprints again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Christ almighty that is heavy. You need to go on a starvation diet right now. Seriously. Don't delay.
    Well its heavy compared to some of the weights being quoted and aimed for in this thread.
    As an aside... when is the next Goldsprints again?
    No idea. I better start chasing buses soon, I haven't cycled in a fortnight and probably won't for another 2 weeks due to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

ohh, go on then...

Weight early 2009 - about 115kg
    Weight at end of 2009 club league- about 82kg
    Weight now - 85kg
    Target weight for March 78kg
    Target weight for June 75kg

Height 187cm

Don't think I want to go below 75kg, let's see

80kg today so not far off target, how's everybody else doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i was 76kg last august. reached 79kg after Xmas and am 76.3kg now. I have dropped from 77.3kg to 76.3kg in little over a week?! weird, as i haven't cleaned up my diet yet but have been training lots more. 75kg is about my goal but im not too concerned about it as long as im below 76 come the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Plastik

Mid 2009 - 99/100kg (15 9)
    Start 2010 - 90kg (14 4)
    Current - 85kg (13 6)
    Goal - 80kg

Height: 185cm / 6 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I made my target weight in 2 weeks :confused: Went from 78kg to 75kg and the secret was ...

no training, lots of late nights lots of missed dinners and week off work and a NEW BABY haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

levitronix wrote: »
    I made my target weight in 2 weeks :confused: Went from 78kg to 75kg and the secret was ...

no training, lots of late nights lots of missed dinners and week off work and a NEW BABY haha

congrats . A bit extreme ,not my ideal way to do it . hope all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

jag con wrote: »
    Right here goes my target weight is 85kg.

Height 175cm 5'10
    Started 2009 at 120kg.

current weight is 105kg

so i want to be at 85kg by the Wicklow 200 in June 2010

more or less exact same,but have been off the bike a while, and have gone back to 110kg, goal of 80-85 by end of the year, though I must say, the weight is slow to come off with me, as I didnt ditch my bad eating habits.Was just over 100kgs doing the 200 last year, and the killer part was from Rathdrum to Roundwood,long draggy raod with a head wind, the Gap, Slieve Mann and the Elliott were all OK, if a little slow on my part, but the descending was quick, heavy + gravity is good for that at least ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Starting Weight: 102kg (Jan 2010)
    Current Weight: 89.5kg (June 2010)
    Target Weight: 80kg (Target of Dec/Jan 2011)

Height: 5ft 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bullmastiff

I may as well join in on this...

Height 5ft 10in

Starting weight: 101Kg -March (Paddy's Day)
    Current weight : 91.5Kg -June (yesterday)

Target: -80Kg by Mid Sept. (20th):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Started seriously 10 weeks ago. Started at 18 st 4 lb. Am currently 16 st 10 lb. Averaging about 2.5 lb a week. Targeting 15 st. But would like to get to 14 st. I've always been big set. I cut out fried foods and swapped to pastas and baby potatoes and increased my veg intake. 1 day on the bike. 1 day 1/2 hour on the rollers and an hour walk. 1 day rest, then repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

Height 6ft 4in

Starting weight: 113.5Kg -Jan 2010
    Current weight : 107.7Kg -June 4th 2010

Target: -95Kg by End 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

biomed32 wrote: »
    Current Weight: 77kg:mad::(
    Height: 5Ft 8
    1st Goal: 70kg July 2010
    2nd Goal: >65Kg March 2011 for anual galway cycle

can be done, dropped to 12 stone this summer when I started cycling and gained most back through poor eating habbits and college deadlines:)

quick update, rose to 83kg :eek: over the exams but have now in the last 3 weeks dropped to 74.5kg:cool:, something im actually quite impressed with although i know for a fact tis prob nothing to brag about or is it...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Ryaner wrote: »
    I was 103kg exactly 12 months ago. Now sitting just above 85kg, hoping to be 77/78kg by June. Any "diet" you choose needs to be a proper lifestyle change, and one that is sustainable. Great thing about cycling is do enough and you'll burn through anything. I eat more chocolate and bars these days then ever before thanks to cycling :)

Nice to see I had some sense. First weight-in of June last Saturday had me at 78.29kg. On target for the Marmotte :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Why the hell not - another target to set myself in a public forum, thereby incentivising myself to achieve!

Weight early 2007 - about 125kg
    Weight late 2008 - about 95kg
    Weight now - 95kg
    Target weight for WW200 2010 - 92kg
    Height 187cm
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread to check how everyone is getting on with their weight loss targets.

I'm now aiming for 88kg by the end of 2010, and am within 1kg of that. Hopefully I'll get there before we see the New Year in, and I'm now looking to be down to 86kg for the start of the 2011 racing season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Pizza, beer and lack of excercise mean I'm way off my target, I'm 66kg 4-6kg above target.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

ajk24 wrote: »
    was 12.5stone in june '08 a few months after I started cycling to recover from acl surgery. hit the gym heavy that winter to bump up to 13.75stone for gaa season only to have all the hard work ruined by a torn hamstring in april and hip flexor in august. was just over 14stone in october. knocked that down to 13.5st by mid-december while still hitting gym heavy enough. 13 stone by april. 80kg would be ideal for a summer more focused on tri/cycling this year.

note - sandwiches on stephens day comprising turkey, stuffing, ham and spiced beef are not ideal for these goals. height = 6ft + a smidgen. Body fat was a very surprising and embarrassing 30% in october. results had to be be double checked but were unfortunately valid.:mad: I reckon I have it down to high teens at the moment. would be happy with 12% as my "little" brother is around 9% at same height and around 81kg. intercounty footballer so that level of athletic prowess might elude me.

i'm going to blame injury yet again for not hitting target. I'm at 13.25 stone. very little cycling this year due to 2 operations on my hips to correct 'femoral acetabular impingement' which basically meant that my thigh bones were catching against the hip socket.

body fat is well down but so is muscle mass in legs due to a total of 12 weeks on crutches this year. goals are therefore carried forward for 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

kincsem wrote: »
    17/12/2009
    Now 73kg (161lb)
    Was 67kg (148lb)
    Like (64kg) (141lb)

Height 172cm (5'8")
    22/11/2010
    69kg (152lbs) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

march 2009 112kg

now 105kg

summer 2010 would like to be 90kg but dont know if i have the willpower to get there

down around 98kg at the moment

broke a hundred (downward) in 2010 heres heading for 90 in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Hovering around 76kg , 75kg works fine for me so i could do that in two weeks of cutting the crap intake down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

After 3 years of consistent weight gain (+10kg), I have decided to make a change when I realised how much I had let it slip.

January 2010: 88.7kg
    June 2010: 86.4kg
    October: 84.6kg

At this point my main aim is to be back at my original weight (under 70kg) by August. I aim to be at 80kg by March and see how that goes. My training is starting with no more Irish-Chinese meals (proper Chinese food is fine but no more fast food rubbish), cut down to 2 bags of C+O Tayto per week, no more biscuits from the 1st of December unless training or hypoglycaemic and finally, the turbo is coming out of the closet, so I can get some exercise in as I play XBox.

It's ON

Advertisement