Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Target Weight

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just had three cold sausages and Mayonnaise. Damn, that was good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Now 73kg (161lb)
    Was 67kg (148lb)
    Like (64kg) (141lb)

Height 172cm (5'8")
    Like 184cm (6'0") :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Dirk now: 64.6Kg.

Dirk for racing: 65Kg (Maybe 66Kg).

Difference, drop some "useless weight" and put on more muscle (I know, it doesn't look it but my body fat percentage is actually higher than it looks.

Height: 5'10" (178cm)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Planet X wrote: »
    Just had three cold sausages and Mayonnaise. Damn, that was good!
    I would knock back a litre of water, get on the scales and then report back with your 2010 target if I were you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

67.5 Kg
    177cm

Long may the weight continue :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

From "Cycling performace tips"
    The rule for climbing prowess: You should weigh (in pounds) no more than twice your height in inches. So at 6 feet (72 inches) you'd need to weigh 144 pounds rather than 190.
    So
    weight_in_lbs < 2 * height_in_inches
    In metric you can work it out :
    weight_in_kgs < 0.357 * height_in_cms

EDIT: Actually when I look at what figures that produces for taller guys, it's a crazy formula! You'd have to be an anorexic model to meet those requirements.

Current weight = 62.5kg
    Height = 170cm
    BMI = 21.6
    Target weight = 60kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm Currently 6' (1.83m), and 95kgish

Want to be 80

Target -whenever possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Haven't weighed myself recently, but I'd say it's around 85-86Kgs.
    Height: 5' 10''

Would like to get to < 80Kgs for the Wicklow 200. That's my plan, and will be working towards that seriously from January.

Side note: from reading up on Marathon training - you aim to work towards a 20 mile run the week beforehand. Would cycling be like this? i.e. working towards a 160 km cycle a week before the Wicklow 200? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Errm....

Weight Sept last year when I started biking again: 95kg
    Weight now: 95kg
    Target weight: Somewhat less
    Height: 167cm

It's all muscle, honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,035 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

joker77 wrote: »
    Side note: from reading up on Marathon training - you aim to work towards a 20 mile run the week beforehand. Would cycling be like this? i.e. working towards a 160 km cycle a week before the Wicklow 200? Cheers

Not really. Running training is limited by stress and recovery concerns more than cycling.

You can do the WW200 with a wide range of preparation. The more/better you prepare, the easier it'll be.

If I had unlimited time I'd want to be doing lots of 160km rides before the WW200, not just one, but it's possible to complete it in a decent time without ever going over 100km in preparation.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Not really. Running training is limited by stress and recovery concerns more than cycling.

You can do the WW200 with a wide range of preparation. The more/better you prepare, the easier it'll be.

If I had unlimited time I'd want to be doing lots of 160km rides before the WW200, not just one, but it's possible to complete it in a decent time without ever going over 100km in preparation.
    Cheers Lumen.

Ok yea I know what you are saying about the stress of running and the recovery, obviously that's different for cycling. If I stay injury and illness free, I should be able to get 5 quality months of preparation in. My longest cycle to date was last Saturday - 65kms. Before that the longest was 50, before that 40, 35 etc. Total for this week has been 150Kms, including commuting, and my legs don't really feel tired at all - so I'm hoping to be able to add 10kms to that long cycle a week pretty easily for the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoda81269

@mloc123, these are the same stats/goals as me, I would be interested in your weight loss/training plan to achieve your target weight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Side note: from reading up on Marathon training - you aim to work towards a 20 mile run the week beforehand.

also just to add this statement is completely wrong. most marathon programs involve a 2/3 week taper. many involve more than one 20 mile run and you wouldnt do your longest run inside the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Currently stats
    Height 5' 8"
    Weight 85kg

Want to hit 70kg, I know when I was racing previous, I was low 60kg range but I'm not going at anything much this year other than maybe a few league races..

now:73kg

want to get down to 69-70kg asap

height: 179cm (Ithink)

kennyb3 wrote: »
    also just to add this statement is completely wrong. most marathon programs involve a 2/3 week taper. many involve more than one 20 mile run and you wouldnt do your longest run inside the last month.
    Ok I'll qualify this - The Non-Runners Marathon Trainer, which aims to take you from a basic level of fitness to be able to complete a marathon in 16 weeks, builds up to a last run of 20 miles, definitely within the last month. So no, it's not 'completely wrong'.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,035 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ok I'll qualify this - The Non-Runners Marathon Trainer, which aims to take you from a basic level of fitness to be able to complete a marathon in 16 weeks, builds up to a last run of 20 miles, definitely within the last month. So no, it's not 'completely wrong'.

You're both wrong. Marathon preparation is for wimps. :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    You're both wrong. Marathon preparation is for wimps. :pac:
    LOL

never heard of him, never heard of the book and running your last long run close to the marathon is going to leave you tired. just dont want anybody reading to get the wrong idea. thats why somethings posted on internet forums are dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

From my own personal experience I have never tapered more than a few days to maximally a week for anything. Anything beyond a week is completely unnecessary (to my mind) possibly even counter-productive. Remember tapering you don't stop completely just cut back. Frequently don't do anything at all the day before a race or what have you though.

I would imagine that running could well require more tapering compared to cycling and over a week could be optimal for a marathon, depending on your personal circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

yoda81269 wrote: »
    @mloc123, these are the same stats/goals as me, I would be interested in your weight loss/training plan to achieve your target weight ?

No great plan, aiming for a pound a week... base period will be between 10-12hrs a week training..bike, run and swim along with watching my diet. Dropped about 6 stone over the last year so hopefully the final 1 will be easy :D

blorg wrote: »
    From my own personal experience I have never tapered more than a few days to maximally a week for anything. Anything beyond a week is completely unnecessary (to my mind) possibly even counter-productive. Remember tapering you don't stop completely just cut back. Frequently don't do anything at all the day before a race or what have you though.

I would imagine that running could well require more tapering compared to cycling and over a week could be optimal for a marathon, depending on your personal circumstances.
    sorry i know we are getting off topic so last post. generally 2/3 weeks taper. id be in favour of two myself and like you say you only wind down (i.e only do 75% mileage 2 weeks out, 50% in last week). you would cut longer run tho, cause the idea of the taper is to freshen up! 6 to 9 months of training is already done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

yoda81269 wrote: »

<glib>eat less, exercise more</glib>

However in reality that's not far from it. One pound of fat contains 3500 calories. So to lose 1kg in a fortnight you need to burn 550 calories more than you eat each day. Here's a decent calculator

• Registered Users Posts: 4 longriver

target weight 75kg
    weight now 102kg
    height 170cm
    chances of losing weight between now and xmas zero
    by this time next year every chance!of course I say this every year but next year will be the year
    All I have to do is lose 27kg ie 1.2 lbs per week .Sounds easy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

On the topic of losing weight I got swine flu around a month ago and it took around 2kg off me in a week. This is not necessarily a recommendation, there were negatives too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Beasty wrote: »
    I would knock back a litre of water, get on the scales and then report back with your 2010 target if I were you;)

Ah, I'm not too bad. Need a belt to hold my 32" jeans up.
    Old trousers are a good guide. Tight / loose. :D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Wow, some of the figures shown here deserve a real pat on the back, fair play.

I'm currently at 68kg (the first time under 70kg since 2001)
    Height is 1m65
    Target for SK is 60-62kg.

Delighted with last year, joined club and started doing sportives lost 8kg (put on 2 this month though so net at the moment is 6kg), and down to 32" from 34" inch waiste.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

blorg wrote: »
    On the topic of losing weight I got swine flu around a month ago and it took around 2kg off me in a week. This is not necessarily a recommendation, there were negatives too.

Exact same situation here, Swine Flu around two months ago and lost 2kgs as well while I had it, and it took a while to put it back on. Right now, 171cm (5'7) and 54.5kg (120lbs), which puts me at a bmi of 18.6, just over the lower limit thank god. As you can see I am a born climber. The steeper they get the better is my motto. Shame I missed the national hill climb championships, but got to the Munster ones at least.

What I actually do (or would recommend others to do if confused about how to work out roughly what their optimum weight for racing is) is look up some of the pro cyclists profile on Wikipedia. It gives their height and weight for all to see. If you take someone of roughly the same physique and height as you and who generally focuses in the same disciplines as you (TTs, Sprinter, Climber etc) you will get a rough idea of where you would need to be at. Their muscle mass would obviously be higher than ours but lower body fat percentage would be lower. My main one is Carlos Sastre, but Levi Leipheimer and Danilo Di Luca sometimes get a look in too. It is also interesting to see their bike setup including their fit, like all the measurements for Sastre's bike are here at the bottom. I know every one is different but interesting just to look at anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Might aswell join in
    Height: 177
    Weight 2008 : 99kg
    Weight July: 73kg
    Weight Now: 71kg
    Target Weight: 67kg for marmotte

Plan to achieve that, eat lots and lots...working beside zaytoon has its down side...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What I actually do (or would recommend others to do if confused about how to work out roughly what their optimum weight for racing is) is look up some of the pro cyclists profile on Wikipedia.

The only pro I could compare myself too in terms of height and build is Magnus Backstedt.
    working beside zaytoon has its down side...

It's the thinking man's kebab

Advertisement