Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Target Weight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Just to back to up... this guy, who some may know:

Link

Is 6'1'' 83kg and less than 10%..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,035 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mloc123 wrote: »
    Just to back to up... this guy, who some may know:

Link

Is 6'1'' 83kg and less than 10%..

If you adjust that for height, he would be 76kg at 5'10".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

H : 1.67m
    W: 62.5kg

Target 59kg,very new to the cycling lark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Last year when I got a cycling coach she immedaite said my ideal 'cycling weight' was around 77kg for 176cm (5"10' about). At the time I laughed it off (as I was > 100kg). Now 77kg seems right to me...... see coaches are wise.

Lumen wrote: »
    If you adjust that for height, he would be 76kg at 5'10".

So you can imagine how big somebody would be at 85kg, 5'10'' and under 10%...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

hawkwing wrote: »
    H : 1.67m
    W: 62.5kg

Target 59kg,very new to the cycling lark.

That's already reasonably light. I think people who are naturally light would often do better building their power first before trying to lighten load, and if you're new to cycling you might be better off staying the same weight and trying to get stronger. It's very hard to get stronger and lighter at the same time, so I'd do one then the other, and start with strength and cardio fitness.

Just a thought. It also depends on your starting point and how lean you are already etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Height: 180 cm (5 11)
    Weight: 66 kg (146 lbs)

My ideal would maybe be 67/68 kg probably, taking off some bodyfat (15%~ now) and adding on some muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

ROK ON wrote: »
    I think it is slightly unfair to suggest that Scooby could lose 20k.
    I said he could, not that he should or must. The idea that someone 5ft10 weighing 83-84kg would look "gaunt" is ridiculous. If his priorities are cycling in the Alps then losing 15-20kg would be a very good idea. If he has other priorities then don't.

Whatever about could you used the word easily. Easily lose 15-20kgs. Nothing easy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

http://www.cervelo.com/riders.aspx
    No very heavy women there!
    Deignan
    Height: 180 cms
    Weight: 64 kg

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    Whatever about could you used the word easily. Easily lose 15-20kgs. Nothing easy about that.
    I didn't mean easy in that sense, obviously it would take an effort to shift that amount of weight. Meant it in the sense of if he lost 15-20kg he would be an appropriate weight for cycling in the mountains, e.g. he would not be anywhere near underweight at 15-20kg lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 scoobydoo22

I accept if you are competing in racing and want to achieve an optimum weight, fair enough.
    But I cycle, play football, martial arts, boxing, yoga etc. So at just under 5ft 11" and 13 stone, I can compete very well in football and have good power in martial arts and gym. I have a stocky, sort of rugby player build;go to the gym a lot!
    I love cycling, and find it very effective to maintain/improve my fitness.
    So for me, my weight is good. When I train up for the Alps next year, I will tone up a bit more, but I would not want to lose too much bulk for my other sports.

I also don't accept that it is easy to lose 15kg. Maybe for Lance Armstrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Take the National Champ's advice :) ( interview by Shane Stokes )

@scooby- if you are happy at that weight, fine, it is certainly nothing crazy. I was just saying that you could be 15-20kg lighter and still would not be in any way close to underweight. You posted that losing 1-2kg would leave you looking "gaunt" which frankly is ridiculous. If your priority is cycling up mountains your current weight is actively working against you there. If you have other priorities then fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I find it easy to brown off people by pointing out they need to lose weight, because maybe in pro-cycling terms they might do but they are a very normal weight in the 'normal' world.
    I hate it especially men tell women they should lose a few lbs to be faster on the bike. I find it very patronizing and tbh quite depressing. I know I will never be 48kg

Think I will just have to grit my teeth and sweat some more going up the Alps in 2010.
    I will have surplus weight going up the mountains;accept your point!
    But I will have more power in other sports.

Your priority is cycling and racing;and fair play to u on this.
    My priorities are a range of sports!
    Think the next few days, any talk of 'target weight' will go out the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm 62kg and 5'10"....I don't have a target weight as I'm pretty happy with my weight :)

But I will have more power in other sports.

but fat does not equal power, muscle does.. hence my earlier posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

Ah come on lads, he's happy with his current targets lets leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

I wouldn't bother worrying about weight loss or body fat percentage if you're planning on starting out racing in this country. Just ride you bike.

There are far too many lads on this forum who've never raced (outside of club leagues, triathlons etc) talking about dropping from say 68kg to 65kg as if it's going to make the world of difference. It won't. Don't compare yourself to pro riders, you're not riding the Tour.

• Advertisement

Also a bit direct, but it is true, sorry. This is after all a thread about weight loss on a cycling forum. Some people are in denial...

Big boned, stocky, large frame... sorry, these are all just excuses. I used to have a "large frame"... before I lost a lot of weight.

If he is happy with his weight that is fine, he is hardly obese... But could certainly lose fat and improve Alpine cycling while maintaining or even increasing muscle mass and not compromising the other sports.

I do a lot of hills myself (including the Alps and Pyrenees) and weight really does make a major difference to how it feels, it feels a lot better if you are lighter!

3kg while running makes quite a difference.

I'm not looking to start an argument, and the only reason I am arguing the point is based on the 'gaunt' comment. I too was always 'astocky bulid', and 'wide shouldered'.. until I lost a few stone... shoulders are still a little too wide now :P

I wouldn't bother worrying about weight loss or body fat percentage if you're planning on starting out racing in this country. Just ride you bike.

There are far too many lads on this forum who've never raced (outside of club leagues, triathlons etc) talking about dropping from say 68kg to 65kg as if it's going to make the world of difference. It won't. Don't compare yourself to pro riders, you're not riding the Tour.

Sorry, but gravity doesn't give a siht what racing licence you have.

Go into tesco, pick up a 7kg ham (that's my target) and tell me that carrying that lump up a hill won't slow you down. Now think about carrying that ham up an alp, because that's where I'll be this summer.

Go into tesco, pick up a 7kg ham (that's my target) and tell me that carrying that lump up a hill won't slow you down. Now think about carrying that ham up an alp, because that's where I'll be this summer.
    It's very relevant doing the Marmotte; it's not so relevant racing in Ireland though where the courses don't tend to be that hilly.

So are Gordon Darcy and Brian O'Driscoll fat?
    Blorg you will probably go up the Alps faster than me and I will carry extra weight, most of it is muscle to be honest;agreed!
    But on the other hand, put me on the rugby field, GAA pitch or in the boxing ring and the result will be different;guaranteed.
    I don't want to weigh much less than I am currently.
    I think it is brill that you are so dedicated to your sport, but I am looking at it from a different perspective. I am happy being fit across a range of sports.

I'm sorry but that has to be the most cringeworthy things I've heard in a long time.

My post wasn't directed at people like yourself. I wish you the best of luck in the Alps with your goal.

So are Gordon Darcy and Brian O'Driscoll fat?
    Blorg you will probably go up the Alps faster than me and I will carry extra weight, most of it is muscle to be honest;agreed!
    But on the other hand, put me on the rugby field, GAA pitch or in the boxing ring and the result will be different;guaranteed.
    I don't want to weigh much less than I am currently.
    I think it is brill that you are so dedicated to your sport, but I am looking at it from a different perspective. I am happy being fit across a range of sports.

okay, so you don't want to drop weight... what are you doing in this thread?

I think saying you need to turn pro and ride tours before weight becomes a factor is pretty cringeworthy too, Billy. It's also patronising and incorrect. :p

I think saying you need to turn pro and ride tours before weight becomes a factor is pretty cringeworthy too, Billy. It's also patronising and incorrect. :p

That's not what I said, read back over my post. You're putting words in my mouth.

• Advertisement

Is it me or does today feel more like a Friday ;)

Advertisement