Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Target Weight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

That's not what I said, read back over my post. You're putting words in my mouth.

Fair enough. My initial reading was that you we're being very condescending, but maybe I got the tone wrong.

You should still do the ham thing though. It's motivational if you do decide that luggage matters.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

niceonetom wrote: »

You should still do the ham thing though. It's motivational if you do decide that luggage matters.
    Is there a vegetarian alternative?

Beasty wrote: »

No, it only works with pig. Not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Beasty wrote: »

... i am sure the pig was a vegetarian ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

mloc123 wrote: »
    but fat does not equal power, muscle does.. hence my earlier posts

In some sports you simply need bulk. Many football midfielders or the majority of rugby players struggle to just put on weight. In certain positions (front row for example) it helps if most of the weight is msucle, but in some cases fat (but not excessive amounts) will do fine also.

My point is in contact sports you need a certain bulk to be able to withstand the physical contact and collisions. I am not suggesting that this should be fat, but it is very very difficult for a rugby player who is required to be say 100kgs plus to have a very low fat count. I am not talking about pros here, but simply blokes playing weekend club rugby.
    Ditto for many gaelic football teams. Hell its even creeping into hurling.

BTW Scooby did say that at 80 odd kilos he went over and back Alpe Duez just fine. YMMV.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    Also a bit direct, but it is true, sorry. This is after all a thread about weight loss on a cycling forum. Some people are in denial...

I do a lot of hills myself (including the Alps and Pyrenees) and weight really does make a major difference to how it feels, it feels a lot better if you are lighter!

There is no denying this, but how far does one go.
    For example Mark avendish at 67kg is a similar weight to many many cyclists that regularly murder him in the mountains. Thor Hushovd at 80kg, while not a good climber in pro terms does not seem to suffer as badly as Cav in the big climbs - why is this.

A bit off topic I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 scoobydoo22

Happy Christmas guys and gals!
    Have a good 1!

ROK ON wrote: »
    There is no denying this, but how far does one go.
    For example Mark avendish at 67kg is a similar weight to many many cyclists that regularly murder him in the mountains. Thor Hushovd at 80kg, while not a good climber in pro terms does not seem to suffer as badly as Cav in the big climbs - why is this.

A bit off topic I know.

Must be to do with muscle composition. Fast twitch muscle makes a lot of lactic acid which makes climbing difficult, even if light, but gives Cav his pure acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Thor Hushovd at 80kg, while not a good climber in pro terms does not seem to suffer as badly as Cav in the big climbs - why is this.

Cav has to lug his unfeasibly large ego up all those climbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

my eyesight sucks, i had to crouch to read the kg's on my weighing scales
    im 77kg now, bit over 12 stone
    185cm tall (6' 1/2" i think)
    i intend on being 75kg for july, beast of the east triathalon. i was at 73kg during summer but wasnt as a result of training/racing. my body tends to fluctuate a lot during the year, between 75-80kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

... i am sure the pig was a vegetarian ...

pigs are ominvores

now cows and sheep they are just recycled grass

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I read once a suggestion that Cavendish actually has far lower power output than most other top sprinters- but he makes up for it by being far more aero. This is a great benefit sprinting but wouldn't matter so much climbing.

mark-cavendish_1370662c.jpg

As for scooby, serves him right, what is a rugby player doing coming into a meeting of Anorexics Anonymous. Happy Christmas :)

As to how low do you go, it entirely depends on your goals but generally for many people you can go lower than you might think without it becoming in any way deleterious to your health. Might affect your ability to play rugby competitively, I will certainly grant that. But if your goal is climbing up hills on a bike there is no reason to not aim lower than 80kg at 5ft10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 scoobydoo22

Yea, I agree Blorg;losing weight & upping the power to weight ratio will help me up the 21 switchbacks of the Alpe from Bourg d'Oisans.
    One small advantage of excess weight might be the rate at which I 'fall' /descend on the descent!
    I remember descending the Galibier;unbelievable, nearly clipped a campervan on 1 bend!

Healthy is life threatening!

Been ill for past few days so I am feeling peckish today.

In my quest to lose weight I decided to have a handful of cornflakes as opposed to say chocolate or cheese.
    I almost choked on a cornflake that went down the wrong way. I lay in convulsions over the sink trying to cough out the offending flake I thought how ironic it would be to choke on a dry cornflake while on a diet.
    Lesson learned I am going back to chocolate.

Btw despite a week of debauchery and drinking last week I still managed to shift 3lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

I wouldn't bother worrying about weight loss or body fat percentage if you're planning on starting out racing in this country. Just ride you bike.

There are far too many lads on this forum who've never raced (outside of club leagues, triathlons etc) talking about dropping from say 68kg to 65kg as if it's going to make the world of difference. It won't. Don't compare yourself to pro riders, you're not riding the Tour.

The thread was started with the following statement "Alot of talk on here over the past few weeks of dropping weight for various reasons in the coming year".

If people have personal goals of dropping weight, adding muscle, reducing body fat percentages etc, it would be silly to assume its for the sole purpose of turning pro next year :)

People set themselves personal goals, thats all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Current Weight: 77kg:mad::(
    Height: 5Ft 8
    1st Goal: 70kg July 2010
    2nd Goal: >65Kg March 2011 for anual galway cycle

can be done, dropped to 12 stone this summer when I started cycling and gained most back through poor eating habbits and college deadlines:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I wouldn't bother worrying about weight loss or body fat percentage if you're planning on starting out racing in this country. Just ride you bike.

There are far too many lads on this forum who've never raced (outside of club leagues, triathlons etc) talking about dropping from say 68kg to 65kg as if it's going to make the world of difference. It won't. Don't compare yourself to pro riders, you're not riding the Tour.

Sorry, bit late to this thread.

I would hope that the "Irish amateur races aren't very hilly" point has been made sufficiently often here that it's common knowledge, but I guess it never hurts to state the obvious just in case.

I do think, however, that racing is a bit of a red herring. It's quite possible to be committed to something, to attempt to do it as best you can, without having competition as a goal. I used to be quite obsessive about cooking, but I never had any desire to compete as an amateur on Masterchef or become a professional chef. That never stopped me spending months of my life attempting to bake the perfect sour-dough (or whatever).

There is clearly a fine line between watching your weight and having a full-blown eating disorder, but I think it's a bit tricky to maintain any commitment to anorexia as a hobby whilst also trying to ride a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

d4r3n wrote: »
    The thread was started with the following statement "Alot of talk on here over the past few weeks of dropping weight for various reasons in the coming year".

If people have personal goals of dropping weight, adding muscle, reducing body fat percentages etc, it would be silly to assume its for the sole purpose of turning pro next year :)

People set themselves personal goals, thats all there is to it.

Where did I say anything about turning pro?! You're putting words in my mouth...

Here I'll reiterate my point again....
    For those who want to start out road racing in 2010, don't worry about your weight or your body fat percentage. It's not important. You won't be riding the Tour, so an extra 2-3kg of body fat won't make all that much difference.

If it is one of your personal goals, then fire away. I'm not asking you to justify yourself.

I thought I'd post in this thread just in case there were people sitting at their computer with aspirations of racing next year under the impression that they had to lose 10kg before they even turn up for a race.

I was well aware that this might go against the general trend of a "2010 Target Weight" thread, but I thought it was a point worth making.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Now I don't feel so bad about eating sausages and black pudding for breakfast every day this week. And those two giant bags of crisps... and all that chocolate... not to mention the two bottles of wine. Not that I felt bad about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

Raam wrote: »
    Now I don't feel so bad about eating sausages and black pudding for breakfast every day this week. And those two giant bags of crisps... and all that chocolate... not to mention the two bottles of wine. Not that I felt bad about it anyway.

Just think of it as extra grip on the CX bike :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭SleepDoc

Happy Christmas! 2008 - Christmas weight 115 kg.
    2009 Christmas weight 106 kg. Target of 100 kg by next summer. Height unchanged 203cm. Going to be king of the mountains!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 longriver

In the 2010 target weight thread it seems like Im surrounded by men aboun 40 yrs younger than I am.Anyone out there willing to go on a healthylife changing diet .I would like it to be a competitive diet with a good incentive to achieve my target weight!
    I envisage setting short term weight loss goals leading to a long term ideal target weight.
    I am 170 cm tall (or short) and weigh 103kgs .Iwould love to get down to 75 kg .Thats alorra weight loss!
    So anyone interested?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

was 12.5stone in june '08 a few months after I started cycling to recover from acl surgery. hit the gym heavy that winter to bump up to 13.75stone for gaa season only to have all the hard work ruined by a torn hamstring in april and hip flexor in august. was just over 14stone in october. knocked that down to 13.5st by mid-december while still hitting gym heavy enough. 13 stone by april. 80kg would be ideal for a summer more focused on tri/cycling this year.

note - sandwiches on stephens day comprising turkey, stuffing, ham and spiced beef are not ideal for these goals. height = 6ft + a smidgen. Body fat was a very surprising and embarrassing 30% in october. results had to be be double checked but were unfortunately valid.:mad: I reckon I have it down to high teens at the moment. would be happy with 12% as my "little" brother is around 9% at same height and around 81kg. intercounty footballer so that level of athletic prowess might elude me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

longriver wrote: »
    In the 2010 target weight thread it seems like Im surrounded by men aboun 40 yrs younger than I am.Anyone out there willing to go on a healthylife changing diet .I would like it to be a competitive diet with a good incentive to achieve my target weight!
    I envisage setting short term weight loss goals leading to a long term ideal target weight.
    I am 170 cm tall (or short) and weigh 103kgs .Iwould love to get down to 75 kg .Thats alorra weight loss!

I was 103kg exactly 12 months ago. Now sitting just above 85kg, hoping to be 77/78kg by June. Any "diet" you choose needs to be a proper lifestyle change, and one that is sustainable. Great thing about cycling is do enough and you'll burn through anything. I eat more chocolate and bars these days then ever before thanks to cycling :)

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

I'm interested! 115kg here looking to get down to around the same as you so gimme a pm !

• Registered Users Posts: 4 longriver

Interesting ! But what amount of cycling do you do?. As it happens I use my bike a lot around my town and would be interested in using it as my weight reducing aid

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Interesting ! But what amount of cycling do you do?. As it happens I use my bike a lot around my town and would be interested in using it as my weight reducing aid
    I'll be looking out for you! (I live just up the road in Milverton)

Your weight loss target is achievable - I managed to drop 30kg in just under 18 months. Your advantage (as was mine), is you have plenty of capacity to lose it.

Virtually all of my weight loss was down to cycling. However you will not lose that much just cycling around Skerries (I did a 46km round trip commute to Dublin Northside, starting off one day a week, but building up until I could do 4 or 5 days reasonably comfortably) Get out for some weekend spins if you can. Also set yourself some achievable short term goals - maybe a kilo or 2 in the first month. Once you achieve one target, set another - you will hopefully get on a bit of a roll, but don't be disappointed if you fall behind your long-term targets - I suspect it may take you longer than a year to get there.

The obvious other thing is diet - simply cutting back on the fatty foods will help quite a lot.

With committment, you will soon see (and feel) the benefits

NB Post number 999 - I feel kinda ..... "inverted"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Healthy is life threatening!

Been ill for past few days so I am feeling peckish today.

In my quest to lose weight I decided to have a handful of cornflakes as opposed to say chocolate or cheese.

You' be better off with the other two tbh, cornflakes causes a bigger insulin spike than pure sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You' be better off with the other two tbh, cornflakes causes a bigger insulin spike than pure sugar.

True, cornflakes are 20% sugar :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

mloc123 wrote: »
    True, cornflakes are 20% sugar :eek:
    No, they are 8% sugar. The bar of Lindt sitting in front of me is 51% sugar.

I ate plenty of cornflakes while losing a significant amount of weight, they are quite filling for the amount of calories in them, IMO. Watch the calories going in and out and you will be fine.

I accept they are high-GI but a baguette is higher and that doesn't seem to do French cyclists any harm.

Advertisement