Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Target Weight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

el tonto wrote: »
    The only pro I could compare myself too in terms of height and build is Magnus Backstedt.

You've been using that aul spiel one for ages. Marcel Sieberg is 6'5" and less than 80kgs. That was 30 seconds of googling.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    You've been using that aul spiel one for ages. Marcel Sieberg is 6'5" and less than 80kgs. That was 30 seconds of googling.

Oh there's lots of beanpoles, but only Magnus has shoulders like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Current weight = 85Kgs
    Height = 173 cm
    Target weight = 75 Kgs

because thats what I was once upon a time!

el tonto wrote: »
    Oh there's lots of beanpoles, but only Magnus has shoulders like me.

What? Surprising scrawny and pale?

220px-Magnus_Backstedt.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've only got to aim for 94kg to be like Magnus;) That and his power output of course, which might be a little trickier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

My main one is Carlos Sastre, but Levi Leipheimer and Danilo Di Luca sometimes get a look in too. It is also interesting to see their bike setup including their fit, like all the measurements for Sastre's bike are here at the bottom. I know every one is different but interesting just to look at anyway! ;)

Sastre uses a slightly un-normal setup due to his back problems from a crash a few years back.

Look at Cav vs Thor though.
    Cav - 5ft 9 - 69kg
    Thor - 6ft - 81kg
    Both are sprinters but have different riding styles, Thor being able to blast through the mountains when he needs to which is very impressive at 81kg!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What I actually do (or would recommend others to do if confused about how to work out roughly what their optimum weight for racing is) is look up some of the pro cyclists profile on Wikipedia. It gives their height and weight for all to see. If you take someone of roughly the same physique and height as you and who generally focuses in the same disciplines as you (TTs, Sprinter, Climber etc) you will get a rough idea of where you would need to be at.
    I've Chris Hoy in my sights - I'll be pretty much the same height, weight and thigh size if I hit my target weight. I can then have a go at the track sprint event, and limit my "effort" on the bike to around 20 seconds a time. It also means I can justify avoiding all hills:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lumen wrote: »
    Stop when you look like Skeletor.

Oh, wait...

Skeletor was actually pretty big....

Man I'm glad I wasn't planning to get serious about cycling as a sport, I never want to weight under 85kg's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Off topic. But if Cat is 69kg why is he so ****e climbing. There are plenty of guys with far better climbing ability at the same weight or heavier.
    Maybe you simply need drugs to climb successfully.

Mods feel free to use your powers and move this post if nec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Exact same situation here, Swine Flu around two months ago and lost 2kgs as well while I had it, and it took a while to put it back on. Right now, 171cm (5'7) and 54.5kg (120lbs), which puts me at a bmi of 18.6, just over the lower limit thank god.
    Holy crap. That's light! If I got within 5kgs of you I'd be surprised (same height)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

March 2009 - 88kg, Now 76 kgs. In old money that's the first time I tipped under 12 stone in many years. 70 would be nice but probably unlikely since I haven't been that light since I was about 14.
    Target 72 kgs for WW200. Went to buy new trousers for work Christmas Party today, thought I would get away with 32" but they were just a bit too snug ! Have to stay with 34" for another while. Must start doing some stomach exercises - cycling doesn't seem to help work the gut much.
    Height 180cms.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@LastGap- You were going up them hills handily enough last weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Feb 2008: 84kg
    Now: 78-79kg
    Height: 6' 3"

I would like to put on some more muscle and reducing the body fat %.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Height: 178cm (5 10)
    Weight: 71kg
    Goal weight June 1st: 65kg

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

jag con wrote: »
    Right here goes my target weight is 85kg.

Height 175cm 5'10
    Started 2009 at 120kg.

current weight is 105kg

so i want to be at 85kg by the Wicklow 200 in June 2010

Would you mind me asking what kind of training you'll be doing in order to achieve this? I'm in a similar situation (115kg 6'3)

goal weight is EVENTUALLY 75 - 80kg (a man can dream) but I'm looking to be around 95 - 90 ish in 2010. Having issues with motivation and commitment though :pac:.

Anyway pm me or something if your interested in sharing your plans! Thanks

adamshred wrote: »
    Would you mind me asking what kind of training you'll be doing in order to achieve this? I'm in a similar situation (115kg 6'3)

goal weight is EVENTUALLY 75 - 80kg (a man can dream) but I'm looking to be around 95 - 90 ish in 2010. Having issues with motivation and commitment though :pac:.

Anyway pm me or something if your interested in sharing your plans! Thanks

Set a goal, something you want to do (other than just loose weight). Then tell EVERYONE about it. More you tell, the less likely you are to chicken out.
    Then start training for it and work on cleaning up your eating habits. Bigger goals will normally make you want to get out more.

With a weekly weight in you can see if you have lost any body fat etc and if you gain weight, the week still should be fresh enough in your mind to figure out where you went wrong. Less than weekly and you get into daily fluctuations which are bad.

Don't do any crash diets. They don't work. You'll also feel like crap. Do watch out if you start cycling a lot more or harder than you have before. I've now dropped over 5kg since the middle of October when I ramped up my training again.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Summer 2009 - 106kg
    Now - 93kg
    March target - 90kg
    Summer target - 80-85kg

24-5'11''

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

adamshred wrote: »
    I would focus first on what you eat. Consider a very solid 1hr tempo ride on a turbo will burn 500-600 calories. That's about a croissant and a twix. Examine your diet first, knock a couple hundred off your daily intake first,

You say you want to lose 25 kgs in 2010. So that's 25 * 7700 = 192,500 calories in a year or 540 calories each day. To realistically achieve that you need to identify a good chunk of that (say 400cals) in your diet and then do your training on top of that.

My 2cents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Diarmuid wrote: »
    solid 1hr tempo ride on a turbo will burn about a croissant and a twix.
    Feck it thats depressing!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Feck it thats depressing!!:rolleyes:

Remember that the heavier you start off, the faster you will lose your 1st few kg. the heavier you are, the most calories you spend even just sleeping.

By Cutting down your calorie intake, just 500 cals a day you will lose 1lbs/ week. By adding up 3500 cals/week to that worth of exercice you will lose 1kg a week.

500 cals of exercise will be maybe 45 minutes on the bike, but as you lose weight, it will take you longer to spend these 500 cals, but at the same time you will feel fitter, lighter and you will want to spend more time on the bike anyway.

I find that a lot of people who start sport to lose weight and do just enough to lose the weight and are not interrested by the sport, will not keep up with the sport once they have lose the weight and gain some/all of the weight back.

If you are sedentary, eat less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

A good book on this suject you might be interested in.
    Title Racing Weight
    Author Matt Fitzgerald
    Publisher Velo Press
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned,i hav,nt gone through the entire thread.

Remember that the heavier you start off, the faster you will lose your 1st few kg. the heavier you are, the most calories you spend even just sleeping.

It is based on your muscle mass so not always true. My BMR is only slightly less now than it was last year even though I was 40+ lbs heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Ryaner wrote: »
    It is based on your muscle mass so not always true. My BMR is only slightly less now than it was last year even though I was 40+ lbs heavier.

I am talking about weight. It takes more petrol to drive a 4 axle truck than a moped... I am not taking into consideration your muscle mass that will indeed burn more energy than your average joe trying to lose weight.

Ryaner you are for example already quite trained and very fit so yes, your muscle will also consume extra energy, but I don't think that should be taken into consideration if you are trying to lose weight - unless you are competing at high level, I'd keep it to basic ( but that's is my personal preference )

If you are heavy but quite muscular, as you lose fat you will also lose muscle ( afaik ) since you will no longer need all that muscle to 'carry' yourself around... if this makes sence. I am not dietician, people may correct me if they can.

Calorie usage will also diminish over time due to increased efficiency. Our bodies get good at what they do regularly, so 1hr @ xBPM doing something that your body is well used to (cycling for most of us) is likely to burn fewer calories than the same t/BPM doing something unfamiliar (say rowing or some other cross training activity).

I am talking about weight. It takes more petrol to drive a 4 axle truck than a moped... I am not taking into consideration your muscle mass that will indeed burn more energy than your average joe trying to lose weight.

Ryaner you are for example already quite trained and very fit so yes, your muscle will also consume extra energy, but I don't think that should be taken into consideration if you are trying to lose weight - unless you are competing at high level, I'd keep it to basic ( but that's is my personal preference )

If you are heavy but quite muscular, as you lose fat you will also lose muscle ( afaik ) since you will no longer need all that muscle to 'carry' yourself around... if this makes sence. I am not dietician, people may correct me if they can.

My point was that a 170lbs person with 10lbs of body fat will burn the same amount of Cals while sitting still as a 190lbs person with 30lbs of body fat. Even day to day life doesn't impact it enough to accurately measure the difference cause by the additional weight.
    It does make a difference if you are exercising. Moving 190lbs on a bike will burn more than 170lbs.

You are correct that you will also loose muscle as you loose fat. Your body will adapt to the exercise it is doing and drop un-needed muscle. It is possible to loose a whole lot of fat without affecting the muscle mass too much. Lean Body Mass and Muscle Mass are different as fat stores water which impacts on the LBM figures.
    Regular exercise will also cause your metabolic rate to ramp up too, usually well beyond normal means, especially if you are pushing hard enough to cause muscle to slightly break down during exercise.

In the end though, for most people simply controlling what you eat and exercising regularly are enough to get where you want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭aero2k

tunney wrote: »
    Height: 178cm (5 10)
    Weight: 71kg
    Goal weight June 1st: 65kg
    Me:
    Height: 181cm (5 11)
    Weight: 67kg
    Goal - no increase

Hi tunney,

Just as a matter of interest, what steps are you going to take to lose the 6kg? From your current training volume, I wouldn't have thought you'd have that much to lose. Also, as a triathlete, won't you be carrying a bit more upper body muscle compared to a pure marathoner or cyclist?

I wouldn't mind swapping a bit of fat for muscle (or maybe more accurately muscle strength), but I'd settle for no injuries and keeping the same weight.

Cheers,
    aero

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

Apologies if I'm going off topic a bit here, but do people find that their fitness improves considerably as they lose weight, or do they find themselves cycling the same number of miles and at the same average speeds despite losing lbs?

I'm 6'3" and 82kg, so I don't necessarily want to lose any more weight, but I'm finding it difficult to increase my fitness levels without a solid target like losing 'x' amount of kg. I've been pushing my miles cycled upward gradually, but find that my average speed hovers at the same level most days. Any advice from people who've already hit their weight targets?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My weight has sky-rocketed in December 3+kg :(

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hi Marchandire, to increase your speed, try doing some interval sessions designed specifically for speed work. Simply riding lots and lots will not increase your speed. Eventually you reach a plateau with that. Give the intervals a go and see how you get on. I would also say that it's probably the wrong time of year to do any intensive interval sessions as it will be too difficult to maintain your form right through the summer. Instead, wait till Feb or March.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My weight has sky-rocketed in December 3+kg :(
    You're spending too much time messing about on the computer, and not enough on the bike and that new turbo:p

Advertisement