Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Quite young to be owning a house...

Why not, younger people have families too, and you know that there is this culture in Ireland of making people think everyone should own a house, the sooner the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

You'd be doing well if you are an alcoholic pensioner who is coming here on holidays (for the train vouchers) and who enjoys looting (can do it during the garda strike).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Grievous wrote: »
    Guys,

I am 25. How much of my 204euro per week will be getting taken away from me?

Thanks for the help. There are so many pages in this thread to find the answer but I don't have the time to look through them.

Thanks in advance.

Don't have time??? Are you havin' a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

damoz wrote: »
    And we wonder why the country is in a mess. Were you stress tested for that mortgage at 23 on the dole?!!!! wtf

The OP is on Benefit, not 'the dole'. They also work for 3 days a week and get half benefit for the other days. They will be reduced by the 4.1%, not down to €75.

IMO I don't think it's right to chastise the OP about taking out a mortgage at 23, no matter how foolish you may think it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

jezza wrote: »
    Excuse me?
    Old people on pensions, are over the age of 66. This would make the youngest of them born in 1943.

So what? They're old. Its not a disability.
    Im sure everything wasnt all sunshine and roses. They built our country into what it is now.
    Eh. the country is ****ed. I wouldn't put all of the blame on old people 'though - that would be unfair.

They worked all their lives, they paid taxes all their lives.
    In that case they will have put some money aside for their old age and don't need to rely solely on the old age pension. They can afford a cut.
    They are the most vulnerable of society.
    No they aren't. How are they?

It was their tax - their contributions to society, the past 46 odd years, that prospered the country.
    Again. The country is in a sh1te state and has been for most of it existance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

newbie85 wrote: »
    I tell you what has driven me mad about this budget, they're willing to cut the pay of the front line staff such as nurses and guards, yet have decided to make it cheaper for the drunks who these people have to deal with abuse from and who clog up the a and e!! Not to mention cause carnage and heartache on the roads!!
    Idiots the lot of them!!
    It's €0.12 off a pint.

If a pint is €6, you'll get an extra pint for every 50 you buy. Carnage indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Missed some of the budget.

Did anything happen to the pensioners (i.e. reductions or removing xmas bonus)?

cb123 wrote: »
    Independant.ie:

Social Welfare payments: New applicant’s rates of job seeker allowance for those 20-21 years of age will be reduced to €100 per week and for those 22-24 years of age to €150 per week

Will this effect people who are already on the jobseekers, it says "new applicants", Ive just gone 20 and have been on €100 for the past month, i just got my first payment of €204, Im fine with my social being cut and i understand why there doing it but i cant go back to not surviving on €100 do you think will they be cutting people already on it? Im confused and worried

Use your head, are you a new applicant? Of course you're not..

cb123 wrote: »
    Independant.ie:

Social Welfare payments: New applicant’s rates of job seeker allowance for those 20-21 years of age will be reduced to €100 per week and for those 22-24 years of age to €150 per week

Will this effect people who are already on the jobseekers, it says "new applicants", Ive just gone 20 and have been on €100 for the past month, i just got my first payment of €204, Im fine with my social being cut and i understand why there doing it but i cant go back to not surviving on €100 do you think will they be cutting people already on it? Im confused and worried

new applicants only and those who refuse a job.

maybe now some won't be so so quick to turn up their noses to ceirtain jobs, that's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PrideandLuna

damoz wrote: »
    And we wonder why the country is in a mess. Were you stress tested for that mortgage at 23 on the dole?!!!! wtf

1. I have just been put on a three day week.
    2. I did not buy my house alone and my partner still has a job.
    3. For 5 years I was earning enough to pay 2 mortgages.
    4. I didn't get a 100% Mortgage

• Advertisement

Gosh people are worried no need to be offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

dubmick wrote: »
    That is insulting and a generalisation on your behalf.

You can't get paid any less though! A Post room person in the private sector lucky to get 19K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Why does that woman think mothers are the only people who will miss child benefit?

On a side note.... we really need more women in politics. I love seeing women in politics. But I really dont think she does us any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Fwiw, people shouldn't be criticising others for taking mortgages out at 23. At that age he could have graduated and be in a permanent, full time position which went pear shaped, there's nothing wrong with buying a house and planning your future at a young age. It's unfortunate if things go wrong, which they obviously did, but there's no point in bitching at him in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

3. For 5 years I was earning enough to pay 2 mortgages.

Guess you have saved for a rainy day then. What are you worried about :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dubya89

To be fair mate there has been conflicting reports on this issue so it's no wonder some are confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 chicomcchappy

macplaxton wrote: »
    Don't have time??? Are you havin' a laugh?

Dont have the time, thats a classic, typical dole bum!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

tudlytops wrote: »
    Why not, younger people have families too, and you know that there is this culture in Ireland of making people think everyone should own a house, the sooner the better.

You want to get yourself head first into debit at such a young age be it upon your own head when things do NOT go acording to plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Guys, try to be nice to each other please!

Gosh people are worried no need to be offensive.

If they are so worried they could read the thread, if they bothered to look back even the last 4 or 5 pages you'd see it's been clarified several times.
    Dubya89 wrote: »
    To be fair mate there has been conflicting reports on this issue so it's no wonder some are confused.

I've not seen any report that suggests people who are not new applicatants will get cut down unless they refuse a job offer. If you're getting money from SW you're not a new applicant. It's pretty cut and dry.

The only confusing thing is if people who have submitted their application but not received a decision yet will be deemed 'new applicants'. The original poster made it clear they're not in this category.
    nesf wrote: »
    Guys, try to be nice to each other please!

If this was directed at my abrasive comment, then I apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Archie78 wrote: »
    Can I ask if the budget has changed any Paye / PRSI or standard cut off changes in this budget , i didnt hear him mention it ?

There was mention early on of getting rid of the levy, PRSI and replacing them with a new "universal contribution", but no details of it.

The offiicial website supplement shows no difference I can see in the examples

[edit]
    New changes proposed for 2011
    t is my objective to introduce in 2011 a new system of just two charges on income.

* A new universal social contribution will replace employee PRSI, the Health Levy and the Income Levy. It will be paid by everyone at a low rate on a wide base as a collective contribution to public services.

* Income Tax will apply on a progressive basis to those with higher incomes reflecting their capacity to make a greater contribution.

These changes pose a challenge but we cannot continue with the current system. I look forward to working with my colleagues in Government on this reform and the closer integration of the tax and social welfare system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

dvpower wrote: »
    No problem. Put her on;)

But seriously. Older people tend to have less financial committments and more allowances (medical cards, free schemes ...). But they get off scott free, while every other SW recipient gets a cut. Doesn't make sense.

Instead of borrowing and spending loads of money. They saved to provide a better education and life for their kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

tudlytops wrote:
    maybe now some won't be so so quick to turn up their noses to ceirtain jobs, that's a good thing.
    Or won't be so quick to apply for certain jobs?

Unemployed Architect? Don't want a cut? Don't apply to ****ty jobs.
    MOH wrote:
    There was mention early on of getting rid of the levy, PRSI and replacing them with a new "universal contribution", but no details of it.
    Not till 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Heh. Thankfully, so far at 28 I have managed to avoid that good advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Quandary

my God she needs to let someone else speak - she's like a sat nav you cant turn off

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Archie78 wrote: »
    Can I ask if the budget has changed any Paye / PRSI or standard cut off changes in this budget , i didnt hear him mention it ?

It was announced that a change is planned for next year. Most likely this will happen in Budget 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

MOH wrote: »

The offiicial website supplement shows no difference I can see in the examples

[edit]
    New changes proposed for 2011
    Said that would be tackled in the next budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

dubmick wrote: »
    That is insulting and a generalisation on your behalf.

True Though!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

It's €0.12 off a pint.

If a pint is €6, you'll get an extra pint for every 50 you buy. Carnage indeed.
    I can't wait for the budget calculator... I am looking at over 2k reduction but I don't know what it'll be in my net wages due to all the other taxes. I am going to work out how many cheap pints I need to drink to offset this ;-)

• Advertisement

Or won't be so quick to apply for certain jobs?

Unemployed Architect? Don't want a cut? Don't apply to ****ty jobs.

Eventually you'll be called for an interview, asked for proof of jobs you've applied to etc. etc. You might even be deemed to be not looking for work if you're not making applications for jobs, that'll cut your entire dole.

Advertisement