Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options
  • 09-12-2009 3:04pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

so, if you are watching the live feed.... and you want to comment on things as they unfold (or even "the state of yer man!") etc, then this is the thread for it.

This is not the thread for indepth discussion or analysis so dont get all annoyed if someone derails your back and forth about Child Benefits!

So, one hour to go, everyone got their popcorn ready?? Riots gear sales are up, perhaps we should have a special tax on them... :)

DeV.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

im actually really nervous about it, as in how cuts ect will impact on my finances :(:(. but then again how bad can they really make it :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

_michelle_ wrote: »
    im actually really nervous about it, as in how cuts ect will impact on my finances :(:(. but then again how bad can they really make it :confused:.

Famous last words.
    Who knows?
    I've given up trying to predict the obvious and logical path that the Government should take.

It won't be pretty but hopefully it'll be fair to all.
    Hopefully this time next year it'll be be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

wyrn wrote: »
    It won't be pretty but hopefully it'll be fair to all.
    Hopefully this time next year it'll be be better.

That's it in a nutshell I reckon. Everyone knows it will be a tough budget but they'll accept it if they feel everyone is hit fairly.

Problem is define fair????

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I hope they cut deep and decisively. The alternative is... Greece, basically.

I hope they cut big wage earners and down to the lower middle classes and leave frontline and low income people alone. Fat chance I know but thats what I *hope* they do.

I hear they are going to drop tax on booze? Thats insane but I suppose it helps pacify the populace (doff's tinfoil hat).

They need to sugically cut the public sector, not across-all-sectors % cuts... nail the big earners.

If we dont do these sorts of painful cuts, we will have them imposed by the ECB and that will be 10 times worse.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

So long as the PS Pay Cuts are graduated and not "10%" across the boards, ie 30-40K take 5%, 40-50K take 6.5% and so on up to >100k take 15% then I don’t think the PS will complain.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    I hope they cut deep and decisively. The alternative is... Greece, basically.

I hope they cut big wage earners and down to the lower middle classes and leave frontline and low income people alone. Fat chance I know but thats what I *hope* they do.

I hear they are going to drop tax on booze? Thats insane but I suppose it helps pacify the populace (doff's tinfoil hat).

They need to sugically cut the public sector, not across-all-sectors % cuts... nail the big earners.

If we dont do these sorts of painful cuts, we will have them imposed by the ECB and that will be 10 times worse.

DeV.

Its their response to Newry DeVor. Stop them heading north to spend the cash on booze they would spend here if they could

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

DeVore wrote: »

IMF you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Liam79 wrote: »
    Its their response to Newry DeVor. Stop them heading north to spend the cash on booze they would spend here if they could

Agreed, there is as good if not better Value in Tesco,Dunnes down here than there is in the North.
    With the price of booze up there, they go up for it and end up doing the lot up there.

I think they should reduce VAT to 17% for the first 3 months of next year.

That will get people to spend some money after christmas by putting a time frame on it.

God knows its going to be tough after christmas for people in Business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

This will be very interesting. The last budget done was completely redundant and was merely yet another failure of our current Government, it will be interesting to see if this shower has the balls to pull a good, tough budget out of their arse this time when their public approval is probably at its lowest.

It's quite unfortunate though because with this budget comes the further push of people up to Newry, who ironically then give out about the Government sending money out of the country.

Main things I'm looking for are social welfare (all forms not just the dole)cuts, public pay cuts and tobacco & alcohol tax increases. A tax on luxury items like childrens clothing & shoes over a certain price would be a good input also, as would a new PAYE tier to tax a bit more off the very well paid and finally perhaps an increase in the taxes on second houses, holiday homes etc.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I believe the IMF has been ruled out as a possibility (though who the f*ck knows). A bigger danger is the ECB and a sudden shortening of the credit line extended to the government or conditions put on it (for example, repairing the spending deficits in running the country etc).

DeV.

• Advertisement

Rb wrote: »
    A tax on luxury items like childrens clothing & shoes over a certain price would be a good input also, as would a new PAYE tier to tax a bit more off the very well paid and finally perhaps an increase in the taxes on second houses, holiday homes etc.

A tax on childrens clothing? are you for real?

whycliff wrote: »
    Agreed, there is as good if not better Value in Tesco,Dunnes down here than there is in the North.
    With the price of booze up there, they go up for it and end up doing the lot up there.

I think they should reduce VAT to 17% for the first 3 months of next year.

That will get people to spend some money after christmas by putting a time frame on it.

God knows its going to be tough after christmas for people in Business.
    Dropping the VAT for the whole year even would be a great move and would encourage spending.

I wonder what the effect of dropping corporation tax further would be? Would it attract new investment and cover the amount lost by the companies already here paying less, or would it just result in less take-in as noone wants to be near the country at the moment?

It'd frustrate our mainland European counterparts though, that's guaranteed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Main things I'm looking for are social welfare (all forms not just the dole)cuts, public pay cuts and tobacco & alcohol tax increases.

Why? I can't understand it being desirable to increase taxes on those items at this time because the last increases put tax receipts on those items down. :confused:

A tax on childrens clothing? are you for real?
    Is there a tax on childrens clothing? I know the shoes are tax exempt, hence why they're considerably cheaper than adults shoes... I'm open to correction on that though.

And yes, if there's not already tax on the clothing and footwear of children I would 100% be in favour of putting some on after a certain cutoff point. At the moment there's absolutely no need for kids to be going around in baby Gucci and other designer brands, and if people have the money and want to pay for this type of clothing for children, they can pay a tax on it.

I'm not talking about cheap stuff from Dunnes, Pennys etc. I'm talking about the unnecessary designer wear that a lot of women seem to cover their kids in and purely because it's significantly cheaper than the adults versions. I see absolutely no harm in adding tax to what is essentially a luxury good at a time of economic crisis in the country.

Is there a tax on childrens clothing? I know the shoes are tax exempt, hence why they're considerably cheaper than adults shoes... I'm open to correction on that though.

And yes, if there's not already tax on the clothing and footwear of children I would 100% be in favour of putting some on after a certain cutoff point. At the moment there's absolutely no need for kids to be going around in baby Gucci and other designer brands, and if people have the money and want to pay for this type of clothing for children, they can pay a tax on it.

I'm not talking about cheap stuff from Dunnes, Pennys etc. I'm talking about the unnecessary designer wear that a lot of women seem to cover their kids in and purely because it's significantly cheaper than the adults versions. I see absolutely no harm in adding tax to what is essentially a luxury good at a time of economic crisis in the country.

Praise the lord your not in Government. I'd guess you didnt study economics to any serious level Rb :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Well all know to make cuts - that much is obvious.

However the main point is to make cuts (so that people can tighten their belts a bit and cut back on unnecessary material items) BUT the main aim is to make cuts and to make people spend. If they cut back too much - people won't spend, can't pay off debts, go up to the North etc.....

They need clever ways to make jobs (yes I know not easy and I've no ideas how) and to make people spend (not madly though) and to spend here in ROI. Not an easy task.

The last budget failed because more people went on the live register (from businesses failing, cutbacks etc...) and thus contributed to our national debt rather than help (by paying taxes, spending etc..) lower our debt.

Something drastic needs to be implemented. Perhaps some radical thinking. Alas our government don't have this kind of foresight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So long as the PS Pay Cuts are graduated and not "10%" across the boards, ie 30-40K take 5%, 40-50K take 6.5% and so on up to >100k take 15% then I don’t think the PS will complain.

hmm, but if you are just above one of those thresholds, from tomorrow you would end up with less than someone who was previously just below it.

Still a fairer way of doing it than a flat 6% cut for everyone.

Dropping the VAT for the whole year even would be a great move and would encourage spending.

I wonder what the effect of dropping corporation tax further would be? Would it attract new investment and cover the amount lost by the companies already here paying less, or would it just result in less take-in as noone wants to be near the country at the moment?

It'd frustrate our mainland European counterparts though, that's guaranteed.

If you reduce it for the year, people would put spending on the Long finger.
    if its reduced to 3 or 6 months, particularly after christmas and the harsh budget it might encourage spending.
    Lets face it, very few people are going to spend next year unless its 100#% necessary.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Why? I can't understand it being desirable to increase taxes on those items at this time because the last increases put tax receipts on those items down. :confused:
    Well, they're both essentially luxuries, are they not? I mean, one doesn't have to drink and smoke, so if they've the money to be doing it at the moment then a little extra tax can't hurt.

The smokers are good targets at the moment also because the unemployed smokers will be smoking more than usual, and those who've still got a job will be more stressed than usual and will probably smoke more too. At the end of the day, if they don't like it they can just quit.

Praise the lord your not in Government. I'd guess you didnt study economics to any serious level Rb :rolleyes:
    So children should be entitled to walk around in tax free designer wear...? I'm not too sure where you're coming from. The country needs more money going towards the running of it, luxury goods should be taxed, simple as. If designer childrens footwear aren't a luxury, I don't know what is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Lets hope they cut drastically public service expenditure, both PS wage bill and also the dole. I'd like to see a 20% cut, and a 40-50% cut for the under 23's, and a 50% cut for those living at home

jester77 wrote: »
    hmm, but if you are just above one of those thresholds, from tomorrow you would end up with less than someone who was previously just below it.

Still a fairer way of doing it than a flat 6% cut for everyone.

Incremental points see for that Jester, cant happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

Well, they're both essentially luxuries, are they not? I mean, one doesn't have to drink and smoke, so if they've the money to be doing it at the moment then a little extra tax can't hurt.

The smokers are good targets at the moment also because the unemployed smokers will be smoking more than usual, and those who've still got a job will be more stressed than usual and will probably smoke more too. At the end of the day, if they don't like it they can just quit buy them cheaper on the black market which will result in less revenue for the Government..

fyp there.

Reducing unemployment benefit, reducing childrens allowance, introducing VAT on childrens clothing.

Would it not be altogether a bit much.

The children after all aren't the ones who make the decisions on buying for the household, and we all know there are some bad parents out there.

If you reduce it for the year, people would put spending on the Long finger.
    if its reduced to 3 or 6 months, particularly after christmas and the harsh budget it might encourage spending.
    Lets face it, very few people are going to spend next year unless its 100#% necessary.
    That's actually a very good point. However what do you think the effect would be if people suddenly spent a lot in the first three months and then went really tight the rest of the year?

Do you think if the VAT was reduced for the full year, people would spend more over that year than if it were for the first three months, where they spent a lot in those months and little to nothing thereafter?
    whycliff wrote:
    Reducing unemployment benefit, reducing childrens allowance, introducing VAT on childrens clothing.

Would it not be altogether a bit much.

The children after all aren't the ones who make the decisions on buying for the household, and we all know there are some bad parents out there.

Well, as I said, the clothing and shoes would remain taxfree to a certain point. I'm not talking about your usual kids wear, I'm talking about the stuff you find in BT, BT2 and other designer brand carrying clothing stores with dedicated children's clothing. It would, essentially, promote more expenditure on necessary items and less on unnecessary, especially as a lot of that money (on designer wear) just travels out of the country anyway.

So children should be entitled to walk around in tax free designer wear...? I'm not too sure where you're coming from. The country needs more money going towards the running of it, luxury goods should be taxed, simple as. If designer childrens footwear aren't a luxury, I don't know what is.

So lemmie see......no tax on Primark/dunnes runners....but tax on nike's ? Ok....so what about say....middle of the road runners...say....hi-tec...do we tax them??? And what if a new company start selling runners in Ireland....who decides what "level" they are at.....whats to stop them selling them for 20 euros for a few months, avoiding the tax bracket, and then incresing them 3 fold.....???

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

The smokers are good targets at the moment also because the unemployed smokers will be smoking more than usual, and those who've still got a job will be more stressed than usual and will probably smoke more too. At the end of the day, if they don't like it they can just quit.

But the country is awash with illegal cigarettes that the government does not get a penny from, as usual our government refuses to learn from the past or other countries experiences and instead makes tobacco more lucrative than cocaine, well done fianne failure

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually it's a fair point Liam. The reasons for having children's clothing tax-free is somewhat obvious; Children's clothes are a necessity and children need new clothes a *lot*. But at what point does a particular item of clothing become something the parent *has* to buy, and instead it becomes an impulse buy - like a €100 hoodie from Baby Gap that the child will grow out of in 6 months?

Maybe if we imposed 13% on all children's clothing over €50 we'd bring it a bit of cash without affecting the bottom line of those who have children.

And yes, children's shoes are tax free at present. My wife gets cheap runners. Not because she's a child, but because she has tiny feet so wears children's-size shoes.

frman wrote: »
    fyp there.
    If you stick another €0.50 onto the price of cigarettes or booze, do you honestly think that will send people fleeing to the black market?

There's already an existing market for cheap fags, yet we're still pulling in huge figures in revenue from tobacco products i.e though it exists, not a lot have access to it and even those who do will still buy them normally when push comes to shove.

Any further increases on alcohol will have close to zero effect, if people are still going to pubs they'll continue to do so if there's another €.50 stuck on a pint/shot/whatever. If they're going to the off-licence, they're not going to notice much of a difference.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Actually it's a fair point Liam. The reasons for having children's clothing tax-free is somewhat obvious; Children's clothes are a necessity and children need new clothes a *lot*. But at what point does a particular item of clothing become something the parent *has* to buy, and instead it becomes an impulse buy - like a €100 hoodie from Baby Gap that the child will grow out of in 6 months?

Maybe if we imposed 13% on all children's clothing over €50 we'd bring it a bit of cash without affecting the bottom line of those who have children.

And yes, children's shoes are tax free at present. My wife gets cheap runners. Not because she's a child, but because she has tiny feet so wears children's-size shoes.

Seamus, make it a 50E cut off point....then every kids clothes company in ireland will price their goods up or down to 49.99 ...............

Advertisement