Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

Eventually you'll be called for an interview, asked for proof of jobs you've applied to etc. etc. You might even be deemed to be not looking for work if you're not making applications for jobs, that'll cut your entire dole.

I think they do this in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Joan really likes to ramble on about absolutely nothing related to the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Not clear on the property tax and water charges - he just mentioned them and left it.

Are these something else they're going to leave until 2011, or will they bring them in during the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Jamie-b wrote: »
    I can't wait for the budget calculator... I am looking at over 2k reduction but I don't know what it'll be in my net wages due to all the other taxes. I am going to work out how many cheap pints I need to drink to offset this ;-)

What is the pints to child ratio? (how many pints do you need to drink to offset the loss in child benefit?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

Bagmagnet wrote: »
    In relation to Jobseekers Allowance:

Can anyone tell me what a Qualified Adult is? In the online budget summary:

The Qualified Adult rate applicable to Jobseeker’s Allowance/basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance applicants aged 20 and 21 will also be €100 per week and for those applicants aged 22, 23 and 24 will be €130.10 per week.

Could this mean that someone who is 23 and already receiving €204 per week will now receive €130.10 per week??

I think the qualified adult has something to do with dependents, but I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Eventually you'll be called for an interview, asked for proof of jobs you've applied to etc. etc. You might even be deemed to be not looking for work if you're not making applications for jobs, that'll cut your entire dole.
    In the UK if you're long-term unemployed, the Dole office actually refer you onto employers meaning that it's not simply a matter of avoiding applying for a job in McDonalds - the SW will apply on your behalf and call you for interview.

I'm not sure if that's their plan, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    Not clear on the property tax and water charges - he just mentioned them and left it.

Are these something else they're going to leave until 2011, or will they bring them in during the year?
    They'll investigate them and build up a portfolio and so forth, but I imagine it will be next October before we know anything about it.
    I can't see the water meters working too well. Horrifically expensive to install in every home in the country and very easily fiddled with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I'm down 2600 gross.
    will reduce levies and tax tho so first pay cheque in 2010 will be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Dont have the time, thats a classic, typical dole bum!!!

Or else he's busy sorting his CV and looking on recruitment websites.

Your post shouldn't be so quick to judge someone you have probably never even met.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Cmon, i know people pretending to be looking for work for years now, its so easy to get letters, cuttings from news papers, go to an interview and guarantee they won't pick you.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Archie78

So am I right in saying that the Budget hurt the public sector in every wage bracket but did not increase personal tax or decrease the cut off point (no increase which is great in one way ( but very very tough on the public sector) I guess

• Advertisement

segaBOY wrote: »

Your post shouldn't be so quick to judge someone you have probably never even met.

as i said before make anyone unemployed for more then 6 months attend a job centre from 9 to 5, they will very quickly get a job

tudlytops wrote: »
    Cmon, i know people pretending to be looking for work for years now, its so easy to get letters, cuttings from news papers, go to an interview and guarantee they won't pick you.

Reminds me of that job interview scene in Trainspotting

Archie78 wrote: »
    So am I right in saying that the Budget hurt the public sector in every wage bracket but did not increase personal tax or decrease the cut off point (which is great in one way, I guess). That is so hard on the public sector.

the public sector should try working in the privet sector and then they'll see it's not so bad in the public sector.

lol, yes something like that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

What is the pints to child ratio? (how many pints do you need to drink to offset the loss in child benefit?)

Its a 16euro reduction in child benefit, 12 cent off a pint... so if you are a couple and drink 133 pints between you a month anyway, or 16.6 pints each a week you'll break even:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Archie78 wrote: »
    So am I right in saying that the Budget hurt the public sector in every wage bracket but did not increase personal tax or decrease the cut off point (no increase which is great in one way ( but very very tough on the public sector) I guess

Our employers make our lot v tough also, we can be laid off aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 chicomcchappy

so busy he hast got 10 minutes to check whether his payments are effected, i stand by my initial statement BUM!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Archie78

the public sector should try working in the privet sector and then they'll see it's not so bad in the public sector.
    Oh I agree as I work in the private sector and have been on 3 day week for past 4 months and only lucky enough to get a new full time position last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

..the private sector should try working in the public sector and then they'll see not everything is as rosy as it's made out to be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

as i said before make anyone unemployed for more then 6 months attend a job centre from 9 to 5, they will very quickly get a job

Do we have job centres in Ireland or do Fás spend some of their billion Euro budget allegedly providing this service?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

rcunning03 wrote: »
    Instead of borrowing and spending loads of money. They saved to provide a better education and life for their kids

Ok. I get it. Old people are lovely and cute and cuddly. They're a credit to the nation, fiscally responsible and unquestionably ethical.

But I thought that this was a budget, not a beauty contest. OAPs are the only class of SW recipients that haven't had to take any cut in rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Where?

Honestly, there are a lot of people unemployed who desperately want and are trying to find a job. I really think you should try a little empathy.

I agree it would be a help but the fella just asked a simple question. Just because he's on the dole didn't merrit such a response. If I was on the dole I'd make it my business to use all of my time searching the internet and looking at newspapers etc. for jobs and probably wouldn't deem myself to have enough time to be arsing about looking at threads like this.

Give him a break you don't even know the guys circumstances.

Why are they reducing the benefits for the disabled, sick and carers, it's unfair, it's not have if they have a choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I don't think it's effective. I think it'll get people to be more selective about what they're applying for instead of getting them to apply for jobs that they might not have been trained for but could do.
    I think they do this in the UK.
    They set you up for interviews here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Interested to see how the 'universal social contribution' works out.

Taoiseachs wages could have taken an extra as could the tds as well. is it 50% tax for certain public servants?

Alcohol tax reduction is hardly something to get excited over. People are still going to go over the border.
    Irish supermarkets leading brand vodka 70cl on special offer is 17:95euro
    Uk supermarkets leading brand vodka 70cl on special offer is £10!
    I'm happy with the tax on people with propety abroad.

Think people in the middle income bracket will suffer most as per usual.

lol, yes something like that:D

Mr Murphy, what attracts you to the leisure industry?

I agree it would be a help but the fella just asked a simple question. Just because he's on the dole didn't merrit such a response. If I was on the dole I'd make it my business to use all of my time searching the internet and looking at newspapers etc. for jobs and probably wouldn't deem myself to have enough time to be arsing about looking at threads like this.

Give him a break you don't even know the guys circumstances.

my responce was to this comment "Or else he's busy sorting his CV and looking on recruitment websites.

Your post shouldn't be so quick to judge someone you have probably never even met."

Not to anyone in particular.

I don't think it's effective. I think it'll get people to be more selective about what they're applying for instead of getting them to apply for jobs that they might not have been trained for but could do.

They set you up for interviews here.

They do that in the UK too, scene from Trainspotting reference again - But you where referred here by the DHSS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Even better in German
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlymYI_Yls0

Years ago in the Limerick dole office when Dell were hiring, you'd be asked if you applied for a job there and if you didn't you'd be sent there, before being allowed on the dole (if unsuccessful in your application). Also, the social welfare are supposed to ask people routinely whether they be on jsb or jsa to provide proof they are looking for work. Not sure if this happens in practice as not unemployed yet.

Advertisement