Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Tawny wrote: »
    Who is that talking now?

Moan Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

What happened to Car Tax and College registration fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

MOH wrote: »
    RTE aren't helping

This certainly doesn't seem to be the case for JSB, it applies to JSA only.

The dole is JSA, not JSB ... people should know this.

I agree using "the dole" isn't helping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Joan Burton on how "Nama killed santa claus" for families and that with lowering the cost of drink and cars it's lads budget Jermry clarkson would like.
    :rolleyes:

Good ol' Burton trying to get a soundbite. I'm just glad she's put behind Richard Bruton in the line to speak, I wouldn't like to have to sit through her moaning drivel to hear a decent speech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

dvpower wrote: »
    Nonsense. How have old people paid their due?
    They are the single biggest winners in the property boom, which was a massive transfer of wealth from the young to the old.

Excuse me?
    Old people on pensions, are over the age of 66. This would make the youngest of them born in 1943. Im sure everything wasnt all sunshine and roses. They built our country into what it is now. They worked all their lives, they paid taxes all their lives. They are the most vulnerable of society. They dont have the option of getting up and getting a job, part-time nixers, if they want a little bit extra.

It was their tax - their contributions to society, the past 46 odd years, that prospered the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

tudlytops wrote: »
    Agree this cuts should affect people claiming for say 6 month's or more, not the ones that just got made unemployed.

David begg is a clown. If the Unions only focussed on making sure that those on low pay didn't get cut, they would have got that. Instead they went for the unrealistic goal of making sure none of them got cut.

Unions all on for an equitable society? Me hole. What do you earn again Mr. Begg? How about you take a wage now to show some empathy with those you claim to represent!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

This budget is a steaming pile of dog turd

those public sector pay cut %s should be doubled at least

dole should have been halfed across the board

VAT should be 15%

a boiler scrappage scheme would have been far better than a car scrappage scheme

good luck Lenihan you D grade maths student - I'm off to the North to purchase all my Christmas goodies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Breaktown wrote: »
    Is it 4.1% or €8 though? (Not the same for me since JSA is means tested and I'm on a LOT less than the maximum amount). I've seen both written on different parts of the RTE and budget websites.

RTE seem to be talking crap.

Form the budget.gov.ie document, it's a reduction of between 8.20 and 8.50, but "proportionate decreases will apply in respect of people on reduced rates of payment"

So presumably if you're in half the max, the reduction is 4.10 to 4.25

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Hi I'm on a three day week and am currently getting €102p/w jobseekers benefit will i be cut to €75 p/w? I'm 23 and have a mortgage to pay....

And we wonder why the country is in a mess. Were you stress tested for that mortgage at 23 on the dole?!!!! wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Wow - a whole 50c!

It's a nominal charge. Apparently a lot of people were going in and getting their prescription months and years after. They didn't need it anymore, just kept getting it *because it was free*.

The nominal charge might put a stop to a lot of that. Big drain on the health sector. Really good idea, IMO. Surprised Harney came up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Still don't understand- job seekers not cut but the dole is ... I thought they were the same thing?? If I lose my job, ages 24, what would I get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Hi I'm on a three day week and am currently getting €102p/w jobseekers benefit will i be cut to €75 p/w? I'm 23 and have a mortgage to pay....

If you're on the "casual system" whereby you hand in your slips, you should be absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

In relation to Jobseekers Allowance:

Can anyone tell me what a Qualified Adult is? In the online budget summary:

The Qualified Adult rate applicable to Jobseeker’s Allowance/basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance applicants aged 20 and 21 will also be €100 per week and for those applicants aged 22, 23 and 24 will be €130.10 per week.

Could this mean that someone who is 23 and already receiving €204 per week will now receive €130.10 per week??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭jos28

LookingFor wrote: »
    Anyway, this whole carbon tax thing...what's it going to be used for?

Is it going into the general kitty or is it going to be used to offset emissions on carbon markets or the like?

If it's not actually going to be used for environmental initiatives then - surprise surprise - it's just another tax under a 'nicer' name.

Gormley is going to use it for his national frog count
    http://www.politics.ie/green-party/120113-gormley-spend-120k-counting-frogs.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Quite young to be owning a house...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

nesf wrote: »
    Pensions will be dealt with in the 2011 budget with the changes being examined over the next year. That's what I got out of it anyway.

In other words, kicked to touch.

[The economy will have recovered by then.]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    What happened to Car Tax and College registration fees?

No mention of college registration fees ..reduction in grants though.

Nothing about motor tax either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Just a quick look online seems to indicate that €15 per tonne carbon tax equates to 3.75 cents per litre of unleaded petrol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tax

According to Annex E of the Budget.

Petrol going up 4.2c or 3.5%
    Diesel going up 4.9c or 4.4%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

4.1%, works out at €8.xx for the top max rate.

Joan Burton, the voice would drive you to madness.

LOL thanks.

I am never voting Labour if she is a typical example.

Oh god....... she made a 'joke'!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

People usually have more than one item on perscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

efb wrote: »
    PS lower paid starts at €24K
    PR SEC starts at 19K

24K is alot for filling forms

That is insulting and a generalisation on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

damoz wrote: »
    And we wonder why the country is in a mess. Were you stress tested for that mortgage at 23 on the dole?!!!! wtf

Seriously. Sorry Pride, but that's just a perfect little encapsulation of all that went wrong here in the last 5 or so years.

I dread to ask how much your mortgage was for...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

No, what i got from the buget is that it is only for new claims, so you're ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Listening to Dermot Ahern. Where/Who/Why have they decided to push this idea that we became "uncompetitive during the boom". Have I been hit on the head? Did I not spend the past ten years listening to Fianna Fail tell me that Ireland is one of the most competitive economies on the planet?

Side note, poor Joan Burton.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭newbie85

I tell you what has driven me mad about this budget, they're willing to cut the pay of the front line staff such as nurses and guards, yet have decided to make it cheaper for the drunks who these people have to deal with abuse from and who clog up the a and e!! Not to mention cause carnage and heartache on the roads!!
    Idiots the lot of them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Joan is hilarious!

Jermey Clarkson, Tiger Woods' infidelities, kissing babies, dessert metaphors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Christ on a bike, Joan Burton is painful going.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Archie78

Can I ask if the budget has changed any Paye / PRSI or standard cut off changes in this budget , i didnt hear him mention it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭cb123

Independant.ie:

Social Welfare payments: New applicant’s rates of job seeker allowance for those 20-21 years of age will be reduced to €100 per week and for those 22-24 years of age to €150 per week

Will this effect people who are already on the jobseekers, it says "new applicants", Ive just gone 20 and have been on €100 for the past month, i just got my first payment of €204, Im fine with my social being cut and i understand why there doing it but i cant go back to not surviving on €100 do you think will they be cutting people already on it? Im confused and worried

Advertisement