Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You need to be renting for a minimum of six months beforehand to receive Rent Allowance.

OR have been assessed by your local housing authority as having a need for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mad_Max wrote: »
    TBH I'm not looking forward to going back to the hospital and looking the nurses in the eyes (might be looking elsewhere :P - sorry had to say it) when they've had at least a 5% cut and I haven't lost a penny from this budget.

22 year old single lad with a very decent salary - imo we're a group that can pay a bit more.

Yep, same situation here. Where I work, we took a voluntary cut of 4% in the summer and that's it. Haven't been touched by this budget, and indeed might be better off with the cuts in beer/VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭TunnelWeb

token56 wrote: »
    Rte have the Taoiseach getting a 20% cut down twice. Wouldn't like to be him right now.

F U C K him!! He gets too much money as it is, im sure he can handle a 20% cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

segaBOY wrote: »
    Certainly.

First €30k @ 5% = €1,500
    €30k-40k @ 7.5% = €750
    €40k - 46k @ 10% = €600

Cut of €2,850

New gross = €43,150

Hope this doesn't hurt your situation too much.

You are incorrect.

It is 5% on the first 30%, and 7.5% on the next €40,000 and 10% on the next €55,000.

So that is:

Up to €30,000 @ 5%
    €30,000 - €70,000 @ 7.5%
    €70,000 - €125,000 @ 10%

If you're over this salary then the following applies:
    In place of the above reductions, salaries above this level will be adjusted in line with the recommendations of the Review Body on Higher Remuneration in the Public Sector. This will produce reductions ranging from 8% on salaries of up to €165,000, 12% on salaries up to €200,000, 15% on salaries of €200,000 or more and 20% in the case of the Taoiseach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Did he mess with tax relief on AVC's in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kadafi006

Jamie-b wrote: »
    This new applicant thing is rubbish. The new applicants are the ones who presumably have been working until now and not claiming benefits, and if they lose their job now they are worse off than someone unemployed all year! Crazy

Yeah but the old applicants may already have commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

segaBOY wrote: »
    Certainly.

First €30k @ 5% = €1,500
    €30k-40k @ 7.5% = €750
    €40k - 46k @ 10% = €600

Cut of €2,850

New gross = €43,150

Hope this doesn't hurt your situation too much.
    I dont think thats right :confused: is it not:
    First €30k @5%
    Next €40k @7.5% (i.e between €30-70k @7.5%)

The 10% doesnt affect someone on €46k
    Thats how i understand it anyhoo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I really wanted to see public service pay cut but I am gutted they went after low earners. I would have preferred if they left those under 30K untouched. My sympathies for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Anyway, this whole carbon tax thing...what's it going to be used for?

Is it going into the general kitty or is it going to be used to offset emissions on carbon markets or the like?

If it's not actually going to be used for environmental initiatives then - surprise surprise - it's just another tax under a 'nicer' name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ashanti

Does the cut in Ministerial Level pay include the 10% cut announced earlier this year or is it additional to it?

If it includes the earlier reduction then they should be ashamed of themselves.
    According to Bruton, it does include the earlier reduction. His calculation is that ministers are only taking a 5% cut. An absolute disgrace when those on the lowest payscales are to take the same cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

A doctor?
    TBH I'm not looking forward to going back to the hospital and looking the nurses in the eyes (might be looking elsewhere :P - sorry had to say it) when they've had at least a 5% cut and I haven't lost a penny from this budget.

22 year old single lad with a very decent salary - imo we're a group that can pay a bit more.

OR have been assessed by your local housing authority as having a need for accommodation.

Not too many single, young people with no dependants regarded as needing accomodation IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

LookingFor wrote: »
    FFS, they put up with a lot of crap in their time. 70% tax rates, anyone?

They've indeed paid their due. It was right to leave them as is.

Absolutely. Anyone calling for an decrease in the OAP is very ignorant of the economic history of this country.

So benefit is being cut the same amount as the allowance?
    That's a bloody joke. If you've paid into your prsi you should be getting far more than the long term unemployed.

Also, the most obvious way around "refusing a job offer" is to just not bother applying for jobs. There'll be a million ways around this.

Anyway, this whole carbon tax thing...what's it going to be used for?

Is it going into the general kitty or is it going to be used to offset emissions on carbon markets or the like?

If it's not actually going to be used for environmental initiatives then - surprise surprise - it's just another tax under a 'nicer' name.

Welcome to an hour ago :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Sorry wrote: »
    Hi thanks for answering, I'm 23.

But I don't understand if I'm what they call a new applicant.. I applied in Sep but I'm still waiting for the first payment.. In the meantime I'm on SWA. The dole guy said it could take months.. So I'm hoping that I won't be classed as 'new.'

Hi,I'm not sure either if you will be classed as new. I's say there is a good chance you will be though,as you haven't received the actual official JS allowance yet.

However if you aren't classed as new and would normally be entitled to the 204 euro,I've just found out that everyone who recieves the 204.00 will be cut by about 8.50 in january,
    I think this info is right,abit confused.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

anniehoo wrote: »
    I dont think thats right :confused: is it not:
    First €30k @5%
    Next €40k @7.5% (i.e between €30-70k @7.5%)

The 10% doesnt affect someone on €46k
    Thats how i understand it anyhoo

You're right, read it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

madmoe wrote: »
    A doctor?

No, not a doctor. I mean when I go back as a patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Has Motor Tax been left alone for once?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

tunney wrote: »
    which is?

150 euro pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

FFS, they put up with a lot of crap in their time. 70% tax rates, anyone?

They've indeed paid their due. It was right to leave them as is.

Nonsense. How have old people paid their due?
    They are the single biggest winners in the property boom, which was a massive transfer of wealth from the young to the old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not too many single, young people with no dependants regarded as needing accomodation IMO

Not too many, but there is still a need there.

No, not a doctor. I mean when I go back as a patient.

Don't worry, they'll probably be on strike..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Any sign of a budget calculator goin around yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just saw the details of the budget. Surprised at the fact he hit the lower paid ps! Will comment further when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

nkay1985 wrote: »
    So the Public Service pensions change only affects anyone hired from now on yeah?

Which will only save us money in how many years' time?

Not necessarily.
    Lenny wrote:
    For existing public servants retiring after 2010 (or any longer period authorised by statutory instrument), the Minister will consider what legislative changes, if any, will be appropriate and bring forward proposals as part of the legislation introducing the single new scheme.

The pension changes are probably the most significanr change in the budget TBH. Min retirement age up tp 66 as well, max to 70.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Rujib1 wrote: »
    Did he mess with tax relief on AVC's in any way?

No. Untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yep, same situation here. Where I work, we took a voluntary cut of 4% in the summer and that's it. Haven't been touched by this budget, and indeed might be better off with the cuts in beer/VAT.

Yeah but where have you been for the last mini budget and supplementary one! We were hammered by those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

People who are working (for over a year) will see just a 4% cut, why is that bad? They are no worse off than someone laid off 1 month ago, they're better off in fact, they've a months more pay!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

dvpower wrote: »
    Nonsense. How have old people paid their due?
    They are the single biggest winners in the property boom, which was a massive transfer of wealth from the young to the old.

Would you like to explain that to my Granny ?

Advertisement