Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Nice to see that the update came through so fast and easy , would like to see a faster upload speed but I'll keep an eye on that over a few weeks.

672374538.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

rang them there, told them i signed the form yesterday and the line has been crap since.

she said that the form must not have went through, hang one please, 1,,,2,,,,3,,,4,,,5,, (maybe 20)seconds later.

she comes back and says she put it through manually and that it should take about 5-10 minutes.

the modem restarted itself 10 seconds later and the BOOM!!! 30mb line

672380414.png

funny they just upgraded my 20mb line by another 10mb(versus eircoms 7mb) over the phone while i wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Filled out the form yesterday.

672438368.png
    672440769.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Did the form yesterday, nothing through yet. I want it now though!

As an aside though - will this router work with UPC? - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=346149

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Filled out the form yesterday morning, lost connection mid-game last night, rebooted the modem and the speed increase had been done. Upload speed is still a bit lower than advertised but no complaints here. Well impressed with the increase and the speed at which it was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

As an aside though - will this router work with UPC? - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=346149

that would do for now, but remember that there are going to be 120mbps upgrades again later this year so you'll want something with gigabit ethernet ports to make the most of that, or your router will end up being the performance bottleneck of your internet connection. :)

to futureproof yourself as much as possible, look for something with wireless G & N (pref. on 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz freq.) with gigabit LAN & WAN ports.

other things to consider would be USB ports for USB disks and printers (assuming you'd like to centralise those) and a minimum of a 400mhz cpu and 16mb ram (obviously, the more the better).

also thinking ahead, something on the DD-WRT compatibility list will open many avenues for experimentation if you decide at some stage you want a few more features or more performance out of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Don't think they'll tell you you've been upgraded, it will just happen. Try rebooting the modem and see if you get the new speed. That's what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

irlrobins wrote: »
    Don't think they'll tell you you've been upgraded, it will just happen. Try rebooting the modem and see if you get the new speed. That's what I did.

I got a mail saying I was upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Ok, I didn't.

irlrobins wrote: »
    Ok, I didn't.
    if you fill out the online form, it asks you for your email address to notify you. someone in UPC works their way through the online request forms and when they've done yours you get an email from UPC to say it's done. seems to be taking anything from an hour to 4-6 hours this way, but it's almost instant if you just call them.

or at least that's what's supposed to happen, but you know how it is. :)

also, i should probably elaborate on my previous post about the 120mbps broadband coming from UPC later in the year.

assuming it goes like its done in the Netherlands and the rest of the UPC territories that have been "fibrepower" enabled, the current 20mbps packages will move to approx. 60mbps with the price staying approx. the same, but they will introduce a new 120mbps service for more or less double the price of the 60mbps service.

if 40 quid is your limit for paying for broadband then you won't need a gigabit router as one with a 100mbps LAN/WAN ports will do, assuming it has a half decent cpu and ram installed, bearing in mind that shifting around that much data constantly (particularly with torrents or other p2p) requires a certain amount of grunt which not all routers will be able to manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Grr, I never get good broadband speeds in my area, is this service connected through your local exchange? or is it a different setup for fibre-optic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭accensi0n

vibe666 wrote: »
    that would do for now, but remember that there are going to be 120mbps upgrades again later this year so you'll want something with gigabit ethernet ports to make the most of that, or your router will end up being the performance bottleneck of your internet connection. :)

The throughput of your downloads will hardly be above 100mbps so I doubt it will be that much of a bottleneck.

accensi0n wrote: »
    The throughput of your downloads will hardly be above 100mbps so I doubt it will be that much of a bottleneck.
    not on a single client, your current hard drive is likely to become a bottleneck first with just one PC unless you have an SSD, but things move on and sata3 is just around the corner and SSD's will overtake mechanical drives altogether in the next couple of years so it's good to plan ahead.

i'm still using a router that i bought 2nd hand off ebay about 5-6 years ago and because i chose right it's still working flawlessly, even though it's got over 200gb of WAN traffic and well over 500gb of LAN traffic going through it every month so i'd like to make sure I get a good few years out of the next one i buy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

In relation to throughput, does anyone know if they have upped their FUP from 250GB per month since the new speed increases?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Filled in the form yesterday right after it was posted here but I still have nothing :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

Does anyone know how to check what speed you are actually on?
    My rates are always terrible (Ive signed the form for 30Mbit package)

I usually get typically between 2 and 3Mbits during day.

Dublin 15

Yesterday (Night) was faster than normal
    (NTL Ultra Package - 42 Euros per month):

671982716.png

“Roll it back”

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Filled in the form yesterday right after it was posted here but I still have nothing :(.
    ring them, maybe it didn't go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

vibe666 wrote: »

to futureproof yourself as much as possible, look for something with wireless G & N (pref. on 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz freq.) with gigabit LAN & WAN ports.

other things to consider would be USB ports for USB disks and printers (assuming you'd like to centralise those) and a minimum of a 400mhz cpu and 16mb ram (obviously, the more the better).

also thinking ahead, something on the DD-WRT compatibility list will open many avenues for experimentation if you decide at some stage you want a few more features or more performance out of it. :)

Great stuff, thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

ozmo wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to check what speed you are actually on?
    My rates are always terrible (Ive signed the form for 30Mbit package)

I usually get typically between 2 and 3Mbits during day.

Dublin 15

Yesterday (Night) was faster than normal
    (NTL Ultra Package - 42 Euros per month):

671982716.png

try different servers. the dublin one is usually my slowest. i usually pick limerick, london and paris to get a better idea of my speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Not everyone will be able to upgrade to the 30Mb package. If your in a BB enabled area and have band I 's you won't be eligible. upc will be removing the band I's as soon as possible as its a limiting factor on the network. I'm not saying this is what happen in your case but it could be the reason you were not upgraded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

When i was on the 20Mb line i always got 20Mb, Now with the 30Mb its an improvment but not touching the 30Mb speed
    London is giving the best results for me.

672708906.png

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

I'd say i'll need to call them, some serious contention issue compared to a result i posted earlier this morning.

Regardless of the time of day my upload is solid, just my download is suffering bigtime.

672713163.png
    672713906.png
    672714793.png :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Anyone try out the new ping test? first time trying it so im not sure what results would have been like before upgrade. Ping and jitter are very good, however packet loss is very high according to this.

7075589.png

leading to the lowest grade due to such high packet loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

How can that be since it fibre based to the local node?

DingDong wrote: »
    Not everyone will be able to upgrade to the 30Mb package. If your in a BB enabled area and have band I 's you won't be eligible. upc will be removing the band I's as soon as possible as its a limiting factor on the network. I'm not saying this is what happen in your case but it could be the reason you were not upgraded

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

I'm currently downloading a file from rapidshare premium and my speed fluctuates between 600 - 850 KB/s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Got email confirmation today via email that I've been upgraded to 15mbps. I requested it yesterday. Not bad. Checked, getting around 13mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Tony wrote: »
    How can that be since it fibre based to the local node?
    Basically you have a limited number of upstreams. If some of the tv channels are occupying this space(band I) it further limits the upstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I see, thanks for that.

DingDong wrote: »
    Basically you have a limited number of upstreams. If some of the tv channels are occupying this space(band I) it further limits the upstream.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

For some reason my download speed is suffering even though I didn't go with the upgrade :rolleyes::rolleyes: (Would usually get 19+)

672818224.png

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JBUCD

Anyone link me to the form to upgrade. I can't find it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement