Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Good on the lad. I was one of his biggest doubters but he has made a promising start to the season, that was a top class field in Abu Dhabi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

shane lowry has done so well,facinating,one year ago he was a plus 5 amature being supported by his mam and dad,getting a small grant from the gui,its probally the hardest sport in the world to make a breakthrough in pro golf,if he never done another thing he will make a living out of the game,i think he has done and will do very well on do,padraig harrington also thinks he will do very well,he is living the dream and fair play

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

I was just chatting to someone yesterday and we were wondering about the possible negative impact on a golfer of a relatively sudden (say over a year or so) change in body weight or body shape. I would say there is some chance of such a change throwing out someone's swing a bit and impacting on form - by significantly changing the 'feel' of the swing. Although perhaps the change is gradual enough to accommodated over the period. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if a change in Shane's weight and shape will affect his swing in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Drops one place to 90th after Bob Hope update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Myksyk wrote: »
    I was just chatting to someone yesterday and we were wondering about the possible negative impact on a golfer of a relatively sudden (say over a year or so) change in body weight or body shape. I would say there is some chance of such a change throwing out someone's swing a bit and impacting on form - by significantly changing the 'feel' of the swing. Although perhaps the change is gradual enough to accommodated over the period. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if a change in Shane's weight and shape will affect his swing in any way.

Im a big fan of David Duval and he lost allot of weight going from relatively big to super skinny and now is big again. His game never seemed to suffer because of weight loss, there were off course issues of course and injuries along with vertigo and a tremendous loss of form but if anything his form was better the fitter he got
    Small & Big Double D:
    duval_david.jpgdavid-duval-usopen-5_299.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

I was listening to the Golf commentary last week, and somebody made this point wrt John Daly and his gastric band. They used another golfer (whose name escapes me) as an example of how dramatic weight loss can affect one's game, in this case the guy could not continue on tour as his game was so dramatically changes.

However, I don't think Shane is in this category at all. He has already lost some weight, I would guess through diet and fitness, and his, I would suspect, will be a well managed and gradual transformation into peak fitness, which may not necessarily include a huge amount of weight loss. I would also say that Angel Cabrera is heavier than him, and can hold his game with the best of them, so it's probably a non-issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

1224263119710_1.jpg

try marketing that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

conno16 wrote: »
    1224263119710_1.jpg

try marketing that..

I doubt anyone here gives a flying fook what you think of anyone let alone shane, your posts carry no value to anyone or the forum, they are designed to cause reaction(like mine now), well the sooner the better the reaction you get is a site ban, because im sure in some sick way thats what your after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

try marketing that..

:D

I'll give you one thing, your persistent. Mind you, Lee Westwood and Monty are no adonis'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

1224263119710_1.jpg

try marketing that..

Well Srixon, among others obviously think he’s marketable enough to warrant paying him to use their equipment.

• Advertisement

srixon would count themselves lucky to get any player within the top 200 to sign up

srixon would count themselves lucky to get any player within the top 200 to sign up

Stenson, Jimenez, Furyk, Tim Clark, Boo Weekly and Vijay Singh.

Srixon are the parent company of Cleveland golf also.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Shane is your typical Offaly man.We're not typically tall, dark and handsome. :D

Conno, you are a monumental Jackass.How 'marketable' a golfer is comes down to their talent in the end.Phil Mickelson is hardly the fittest man in the world, yet he's one of the most popular and marketable golfers there is.Besides, when Lowry gets more settled into the tour I'd imagine he'll devote more time to a fitness regime.

Shane is your typical Offaly man.We're not typically tall, dark and handsome. :D

Speak for yourself, my mum is constantly telling me I'm a hunk of burning love.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Speak for yourself, my mum is constantly telling me I'm a hunk of burning love.
    How long have you been making out with your aul one?

Aidric wrote: »
    How long have you been making out with your aul one?

About the same time I started seeing yours...:p

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Conno has been warned off the tiresome trolling. He's been banned before for over stepping the mark. I think most regulars on here know how much mass to put into his posts but he does have the odd redeeming feature which is why he gets the chance to stick around.
    However, he has to realise that sailing too close to the wind isn't fair because not everyone is 'in' on the 'joke'. Once he uses his head for more than storing rolled up newspapers in we'll all be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Licksy wrote: »
    he does have the odd redeeming feature which is why he gets the chance to stick around.

He is great for the lulz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

imo i think his irish open win was a bit of a one hit wonder and although hes done well in recent events i dont see him being challenging for top honours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

We have our own resident troll here, we dont need them from other volatile forums:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He is kinda funny sometimes, although also totally unreasonable

Anyway i think you'll find that i'm the most handsome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

The lads have a point, because he has done something incredably unique but even with that and turning pro after a few days he didnt exactly have many great offers in terms of sponsorships. Sports management Ireland arent great either and I cant see how they can possibly turn him into a money making brand like Harrington or Poulter or McIllroy

It will be interesting to see if he will always be a january to may player I hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

seven-iron wrote: »
    The lads have a point, because he has done something incredably unique but even with that and turning pro after a few days he didnt exactly have many great offers in terms of sponsorships. Sports management Ireland arent great either and I cant see how they can possibly turn him into a money making brand like Harrington or Poulter or McIllroy

It will be interesting to see if he will always be a january to may player I hope not

As soon as he starts winning stuff the endorsements will come. He's not sexy but neither is mickelson and I'd say he doesn't do too bad.

i'm not gonna criticise shane, but phil m is always a good interviewee
    he also engages with the fans at comps etc and generally comes across as a pretty sound bloke
    i'd be well up for playing a round with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

mickelson is one of the biggest characters on tour and one of the best players. and Lowry has won stuff, I dont see where he can go from here and the corporates taking a liking to him. As someone here already said srixon arent the greatest now, they dont even pay the pros that well, just give them free balls, tees and hats. the basics. sure look at peter lawrie (good guy tho!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭heviballs

i'd be well up for playing around with him

whatever your into,he's not my type

• Registered Users Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭Trampas

heviballs wrote: »
    whatever your into,he's not my type

You are not heavyballs twin brother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭heviballs

Trampas wrote: »
    You are not heavyballs twin brother?
    i'm his alter ego

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Picking up where he left off last week , great stuff

T 15 -- Shane LOWRY, -1, 71

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JimDean

Another solid round from Big Shane. T12

And GMAC is making a better go of it, G had last weekend off.

Advertisement