Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

I'm pretty sure he'll make the cut.

Not gonna happen. Still needs at least 6 players to fk up. More than half the field have finished, so he's running out of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

maudgone wrote: »
    Not gonna happen. Still needs at least 6 players to fk up. More than half the field have finished, so he's running out of players.

I agree. That number won't trip up unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hopefully - the experience will benefit him in the future.

Very tricky course - Speith is just putting in a super performance which doesn't reflect the fact that its a course that for most probably requires you to play very very well to hit level par or below

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

Still a possibility it will go out to 3 over.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

abff wrote: »
    Still a possibility it will go out to 3 over.

Not a hope. 4 players currently playing on +2, 4 players on +1, and 3 on level par, at least 6 of those have to mess up big time.

• Advertisement

Not a hope. 4 players currently playing on +2, 4 players on +1, and 3 on level par, at least 6 of those have to mess up big time.

Exactly. Too late in the day for the cut line to move now.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Looking at his midriff he seems to be training hard, I mean in the bar or the restaurant

vienne86 wrote: »
    Exactly. Too late in the day for the cut line to move now.

Half an hour ago, it looked like a possibility. Only needed 4 players to drop back to 3 over. Now looking increasingly unlikely, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Maths1 wrote: »
    a bit reckless to go for the green on the 15th

Yeah, I suspect he thought he needed to get another birdie to make the cut and as it happens a par would have been fine, shame, but it was yesterday that did for him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think he can take a lt of positives from this week, first time (of many hopefully) at Agusta to miss the cut by one? Not bad going at all.

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I think he can take a lt of positives from this week, first time (of many hopefully) at Agusta to miss the cut by one? Not bad going at all.

He'll be kicking himself, but yes, a good first outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

47th now in OWGR.

It doesn't look like he is playing the next 2 weeks so if we don't see him until the match play then his place in The Players Championship is in the balance.

Needs to be top 50 this day fortnight.

Then again not playing can be better than missing cuts when its this tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Maths1

quite a lot of the number of players who are close behind him in the rankings are playing this week both on the PGA tour and the European tour.I will be surprised if he is still in the top 50 in two weeks time.His game seems to be not quite their yet. average distance off the tee in Augusta was about a74 yards, not very good

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Maths1

i meant to say 274 yards off the tee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

How many times did he hit driver??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

i meant to say 274 yards off the tee

His driving distance isn't really a problem he's actually above average. It's the strokes gained putting where he really needs to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Augusta not the best place to study driving distances imo.

Many take 3 woods on the holes that may be used for driving distance.
    Then there's also the fact that course knowledge and familiarity would also add yardage around Augusta with its many hills and run offs.

Point being, it's prob not the best place to look at distance off the tee. Spieth managed ok and he was just a little ahead of Lowry 282 v 274. But on that same note, Spieth hit the driver sparingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

PARlance wrote: »
    Augusta not the best place to study driving distances imo.

Many take 3 woods on the holes that may be used for driving distance.
    Then there's also the fact that course knowledge and familiarity would also add yardage around Augusta with its many hills and run offs.

Point being, it's prob not the best place to look at distance off the tee. Spieth managed ok and he was just a little ahead of Lowry 282 v 274. But on that same note, Spieth hit the driver sparingly.

Id also be slow to judge a players performance GENERALLY based on Augusta unless they did very well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Shane will be on Second Captains tonight on RTE2 at 10:30pm

quite a lot of the number of players who are close behind him in the rankings are playing this week both on the PGA tour and the European tour.I will be surprised if he is still in the top 50 in two weeks time.His game seems to be not quite their yet. average distance off the tee in Augusta was about a74 yards, not very good

Todd should jump him and push him to 48th.

• Advertisement

Todd should jump him and push him to 48th.

That's true, but I still think he has a great chance of still being in the top 50 after next weekend. His divisor will drop from 52 to 51 and his average ranking points will increase to 2.4084. This puts him in a projected 46th place and 5 players would therefore need to pass him to push him outside the top 50.

I'm not saying it won't happen, just that I reckon his chances are somewhat better than 50/50 at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I presume he has a lot more than 4 tournaments planned between now and The Open in July! ;)

http://www.shanelowrygolf.com/schedule/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Saw shane in Sams bar last night about midnight. He was buckled with a pint in each hand and two dollys with him.

Living the dream. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ForeRight wrote: »
    Saw shane in Sams bar last night about midnight. He was buckled with a pint in each hand and two dollys with him.

Living the dream. Fair play to him.

Was either of them his fiance (of the dollys)?

That's true, but I still think he has a great chance of still being in the top 50 after next weekend. His divisor will drop from 52 to 51 and his average ranking points will increase to 2.4084. This puts him in a projected 46th place and 5 players would therefore need to pass him to push him outside the top 50.

I'm not saying it won't happen, just that I reckon his chances are somewhat better than 50/50 at this point in time.

Next weeks rankings also decide the match play seedings so top 48 would have him pot 3 instead of pot 4 with the new format. Wonder will there be fewer withdrawals with the later calendar date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

First Up wrote: »
    Was either of them his fiance (of the dollys)?

Oops have I said too much?

I've no idea what his fiancé looks like but either way he wasn't doing anything out of order. He was acquanted with them both. Possibly friends or family.

Deffo friend zoners from what I saw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Less of the speculation lads, not needed.

So when's he playing next?

vienne86 wrote: »
    So when's he playing next?

Matchplay Wednesday week.

• Advertisement

Actually, I've just had a closer look at the world rankings and their projected rankings for next week don't seem to be correct. So I think the best Shane can hope for is to remain in 48th.

When the fields and estimated ranking points for this week are published, I'll try to work out what the various players who are close behind need to do in order to pass Shane in the rankings. Could be a nervous weekend for him.

Advertisement