Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

vienne86 wrote: »
    Rats. But I like the way he's playing in the US. It seems to suit him, so I wouldn't be overly worried.

Are there any other key dates to look out for in terms of his ranking and eligibility?

Just getting into it now, it's a funny old game in itself. Jiminez would have been lining up in Doral if he had decided not to bother playing the Indian Open. You would wonder if he actually knew that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

PARlance wrote: »
    Are there any other key dates to look out for in terms of his ranking and eligibility?

Just getting into it now, it's a funny old game in itself. Jiminez would have been lining up in Doral if he had decided not to bother playing the Indian Open. You would wonder if he actually knew that.

Would he still have the length to complete?

Shane almost halved his ranking points with those two bogeys, from ~ 10.6 to ~ 5.5, expensive finish indeed

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

slave1 wrote: »
    Confirmed, fell 4 places to 44 :(

Just fell the 2, was 42nd last week.

Match play pretty much in the bag.

WGC-CADILLAC MATCH PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP April 29-May 3
    • Top 64 from World Ranking on April 20.

THE PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP May 7-10
    • Top 50 from World Ranking on April 27.

U.S. OPEN June 18-21
    • Top 60 from World Ranking on June 1.
    • Top 60 from World Ranking on June 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

I think the next key cut off point will be for the WGC World Matchplay at end April. I think this will be based on the top 64 as at Monday 20th April and I don't think he is in any danger of falling outside the top 64 by then.

Does anyone know when he's playing next? The only full prize money event on the European Tour prior to the Masters is the Trophee Hassan II and Shane does not appear on the current entry list for this event. There are four tournaments on the PGA Tour before the Masters. He's not playing this week. Does he have invitations to any of the following three events?

Regarding Jiminez, he had a decent enough result the previous week and he may have already committed to the Indian Open event before realising that he would be jeopardising his top 50 position if he failed to pick up any world ranking points there. Or maybe he didn't realise this at all - it's always unpredictable what will happen to your ranking from one week to the next as it depends not only on your own performance but also that of players close to you in the rankings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

abff wrote: »
    Does anyone know when he's playing next? The only full prize money event on the European Tour prior to the Masters is the Trophee Hassan II and Shane does not appear on the current entry list for this event. There are four tournaments on the PGA Tour before the Masters. He's not playing this week. Does he have invitations to any of the following three events?

He has a week off this week and is playing in the Arnold Palmer Invitational the following week, followed by the Texas Open and then a week off before The Masters.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    ...before The Masters.

can never get tired of reading that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Do u think he can make the cut?

Do u think he can make the cut?

Yes if he's not to aggressive with his chipping.

Is he putting well enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Is he putting well enough?

What are your thoughts on his putting?

eh...I don't know enough about it. hence Q's ?
    http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.33204.shane-lowry.html/statistics

Sample size way to small to be looking at that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Only 9 rounds in US in his stats. (so a small sample)

But his putting is his worst stat of the key stats -
    Strokes gained he is 122. (he is losing shots)

This is an outlier

As his other stats are excellent - most other stats below position 50.
    Padraig is 112 in this stat.

At 118 or lower in this stat you are gaining shots on field - Shane is losing on field putting. (But too simple to just look at putting)

An example of someone putting well in Donaldson - who has gained 13 shots in only 20 rounds - by putting. That is a lot of money from putting.

Not a huge fan of the strokes gained putting stats. Say 2 guys have a 40 foot putt, one leaves it on the lip and the other runs it 8 feet past but holes the return. The stat might say player 2 gained half a shot on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's a small sample but well worth looking at the difference between his individual round stats.
    Some improvement in putting between his 1st and 4th rounds.

Not a huge fan of the strokes gained putting stats. Say 2 guys have a 40 foot putt, one leaves it on the lip and the other runs it 8 feet past but holes the return. The stat might say player 2 gained half a shot on the other.

Looked it up there on their site - it is fairly good science.

Not to mention 2 top US universities have created it. Including number 2 in the world, MIT.

Not to mention 2 top US universities have created it. Including number 2 in the world, MIT.

I know all that just not a fan of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Black and Scholes were very clever men developing the formula to price derivatives bearing their name. It didnt stop one of them nearly causing a downfall of epic sizes (prob bigger than 2008) barring a bail out of LTC

I thought this was a golf forum :pac:

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Black and Scholes were very clever men developing the formula to price derivatives bearing their name. It didnt stop one of them nearly causing a downfall of epic sizes (prob bigger than 2008) barring a bail out of LTC

Isaac Newton was born in 1643.

Anyway - Shane coming up in Newstalk.

Will post when he is on.

ON NOW

He is just a likeable bloke isn't he.

Big sale on now.

Big statement to say he will always play both tours.

So many other top pros - have let go on that ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

He is just a likeable bloke isn't he.

Big sale on now.

Big statement to say he will always play both tours.

So many other top pros - have let go on that ideal.

Other pros have started their US Tour adventure saying they will play both tours. If he's successful in USA, and enjoys the lifestyle etc, he'll probably play less and less in Europe over time.

Other pros have started their US Tour adventure saying they will play both tours. If he's successful in USA, and enjoys the lifestyle etc, he'll probably play less and less in Europe over time.

Agree.

Only thing - he seems a serious home bird.

Family - GAA - mates, his links golf, other Irish sports.

But he is young and full of ideal - nice to hear.

The likes of Poults - Donald - Westwood - Rory - Sergio , all over there.

Agree.

Only thing - he seems a serious home bird.

Family - GAA - mates, his links golf, other Irish sports.

But he is young and full of ideal - nice to hear.

The likes of Poults - Donald - Westwood - Rory - Sergio , all over there.

All true. Hopefully he finds the right balance. Lovely fella, great man to have lying the flag over there alongside Padraig.

All true. Hopefully he finds the right balance. Lovely fella, great man to have lying the flag over there alongside Padraig.

Any1 care to predict how he will fare on his 1st trip to Agusta? I don't know enough about his game to offer a prediction but wud be chuffed if he made the cut.

Is it fair to say he tends to play par 5's well? That's the secret of Augusta anyhow, if he can play the par 5's well he'll be ok, if not it's an uphill battle.

• Advertisement

If ever there's a course where you need to be able to putt with confidence then it's Augusta, at the minute this is where (on a relative basis) Shane needs to improve, putting is everything for The Masters...

Advertisement