Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

slave1 wrote: »
    If ever there's a course where you need to be able to putt with confidence then it's Augusta, at the minute this is where (on a relative basis) Shane needs to improve, putting is everything for The Masters...

While it's an area that probably needs to improve (relative to him becoming a T20 player) I do think that, like the rest of his game, it's on the up.

It's not so long ago since he was cleaning out his shed to find an old putter... If that's considered a low point then it has been on the up since.

He also seems to putt better under pressure, his putter stats for Sat & Sun's are great. His whole game seems to revel in the big occasions. I've little fear that he'll put in a good showing next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He is just a likeable bloke isn't he.

Big sale on now.

Big statement to say he will always play both tours.

So many other top pros - have let go on that ideal.

Almost all the top Europeans do it now, it's laid out for them.
    4 majors and 4 WGC events count for both tours, you don't need to come near Europe until the PGA in May. Then the big money events in the final series, candy from a baby isn't it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Any1 care to predict how he will fare on his 1st trip to Agusta? I don't know enough about his game to offer a prediction but wud be chuffed if he made the cut.

I think top 25 which would be brilliant, 4 other Irish guys playing so he should has plenty experience to tap into during his practice rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The one thing I love about Shane now - (It is something we could all learn about the game)
    He struggled to believe he should be there at start - but now you can hear the confidence in him - I'm Shane Lowry , I should be here. I'm good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The one thing I love about Shane now - (It is something we could all learn about the game)
    He struggled to believe he should be there at start - but now you can hear the confidence in him - I'm Shane Lowry , I should be here. I'm good enough.

By his own admission he though he wasn't good enough at first, but then his caddy told him he just needed to work harder.....which he did.....and now....
    Great story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

vienne86 wrote: »
    By his own admission he though he wasn't good enough at first, but then his caddy told him he just needed to work harder.....which he did.....and now....
    Great story.

Yes - but he exuded self confidence there this morning , I guess it is a little chicken and egg.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

PARlance wrote: »
    While it's an area that probably needs to improve (relative to him becoming a T20 player) I do think that, like the rest of his game, it's on the up.

It's not so long ago since he was cleaning out his shed to find an old putter... If that's considered a low point then it has been on the up since.

He also seems to putt better under pressure, his putter stats for Sat & Sun's are great. His whole game seems to revel in the big occasions. I've little fear that he'll put in a good showing next month.

O don't get me wrong, nothing I would love better than see him do well but just feel that's his achilles, after learning his trade in Esker Hills he won't have to worry about the sloping lies or mad speed at times. I just fear those 12-15 footers for birdie or 7 foot par saves that are crucial.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Nice 10minute interview for folk that could have missed it...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/american-and-european-tour/2015/0310/686104-video-shane-lowry/

Great article, refreshing read, simple and clear, basing himself out of Lake Nona it seems, already spent a week there earlier in the year, will ya phone Poults for a round Shane, c'mon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

http://www.adverts.ie/7586900 Signed Shane Lowry hat:) Get Bidding, it'll be worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Bit better from Shane today. 2 under after 8 and back to 1 over for the tournament. Cut line currently 1 under, so he's giving himself a chance of making it through to the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Shane has finished one over after the two rounds and looks like he will miss the weekend. Currently the projected cut is -1 and course playing easy today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Pity he's going to miss the cut but still, it's been a good start to his US run.

Damage was done yesterday, but good he improved today. Pity he misses the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Shane playing the Valero Texas open this week and 2 over after first round giving him a T32. Hopefully a good round today and push on for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Ya plus 2 wasn't a bad score at all there yesterday. A lot of them struggling especially the earlier starters.

Hope he can push on with a solid round today and keep someway in contention.

Those greens must be horrendous. He just left his approach putt from 78 feet over 24 feet short. Second bogey of the day.

Not going well so far, over par when most of the fellow starters are burning the place up and making strides up the leader board, make the cut dude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Back to level and has moved up two places, good man Shane!

• Advertisement

Looks like he made a balls of his 16th hole, bogeying a par 5 from being out in 'native area' with his second from a fairway tee landing, can't be doing that at this level :(
    2 over for the round, 4 over for the tournament, needs a birdie to make sure else he'll have to sweat it out...

slave1 wrote: »
    2 over for the round, 4 over for the tournament, needs a birdie to make sure else he'll have to sweat it out...

I don't think there's any danger of him missing the cut on 4 over. It's currently 6 over, but may come in to 5 over. I can't see it moving in to 3 over. Everyone still out on the course would need to pick up several shots for that to happen.

abff wrote: »
    I don't think there's any danger of him missing the cut on 4 over. It's currently 6 over, but may come in to 5 over. I can't see it moving in to 3 over. Everyone still out on the course would need to pick up several shots for that to happen.

I'd say he's safe enough. Another cut made in the US - doing nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

cut falls at +6. makes it comfortably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Not the best of starts today... putting seems to be poor again. I hope he can get that sorted before 2 weeks time....

Disappointing round from Shane today - putting is a worry, particularly with Agusta coming up.

Well done Shane, well done, enjoy...

09e207fb05aa899f900d5800df0a30d6_view.jpg

It's great to see Lowry's enthusiasm. He's like a big kid who's just been given the keys to Willy Wonka's factory. Let's hope it's just the first of many.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

I don't think Shane is ready for Augusta. Wouldn't be surprised if he hits 80, 80 tomorrow and Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

I don't think Shane is ready for Augusta. Wouldn't be surprised if he hits 80, 80 tomorrow and Friday.

Indeed. This is one from 5+ years back. I say take your chance when you get it. Even if he does hit 80+, 100+ on both days he seems like a guy who'll take away great experience from it.

06-12-2009, 18:03 #5
    heavyballs
    Closed Account

Adverts | Friends
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 04072511 View Post
    He's only 22! I see no reason to believe why he cant go on and be great and win a major(s).
    more chance of Ronan Rafferty coming back and winning a major imo,i said it at the time here that he was too hasty to turn pro and i beleive this has been proved.It took him 3 or 4 months before he started to do any proper physical training and it was stated in the media(could well be bs)that he was doing very little practice compared to the other pro's.
    He'll be running a pro shop in 5 years imo

Advertisement