Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭abff

abff wrote: »
    Actually, I've just had a closer look at the world rankings and their projected rankings for next week don't seem to be correct. So I think the best Shane can hope for is to remain in 48th.

When the fields and estimated ranking points for this week are published, I'll try to work out what the various players who are close behind need to do in order to pass Shane in the rankings. Could be a nervous weekend for him.

I had a look at the field for the Volvo China Open. As far as I can see, there are only three players who could potentially move ahead of Shane in the rankings this week. Mikko Ilonen and Alexander Levy would need to win, while Tommy Fleetwood would need to finish no worse than 2nd on his own.

Presumably there will be a lot more players in New Orleans who could potentially pass Shane, but I'll wait until the field and the provisional ranking is published on the OWGR website before looking at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sorry if this has been asked before but there's now 225 pages in the thread.....

What does Shane have to do to qualify for the US Open, is it the OWGR top 60 in the week(s) before the event? Given that the event is not listed on his website schedule, I'm assuming that he is not yet guaranteed a place. US Open website has a splashscreeen with Martin Kaymer, no data of any kind on players or qualification. 2014 exemption categories included OWGR top 60 two weeks before and on the Monday of the week itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

coylemj wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before but there's now 225 pages in the thread.....

What does Shane have to do to qualify for the US Open, is it the OWGR top 60 in the week(s) before the event? Given that the event is not listed on his website schedule, I'm assuming that he is not yet guaranteed a place. US Open website has a splashscreeen with Martin Kaymer, no data of any kind on players or qualification. 2014 exemption categories included OWGR top 60 two weeks before and on the Monday of the week itself.[/QUOT

Pretty sure that top 50 gets you in to all majors?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Maths1

Hope Shane goes earlier to the Matchplay tournament than he went to the Masters.Does anyone know how many more points/money he has to get to get a PGA tour card.

Maths1 wrote: »
    Hope Shane goes earlier to the Matchplay tournament than he went to the Masters.Does anyone know how many more points/money he has to get to get a PGA tour card.

Think its 300 pts? could be completely wrong and also like $300 k prize money but thats a stab in the dark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rocky911 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that top 50 gets you in to all majors?

There's no guarantee that he will still be in the top 50 in late May or early June, hence my question.

There's no guarantee that he will still be in the top 50 in late May or early June, hence my question.

Does it not go on previous year rankings for the majos? ie he was guaranteed a place in the Masters because of it and didnt have to play in the desert to try an qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What does Shane have to do to qualify for the US Open, is it the OWGR top 60 in the week(s) before the event? Given that the event is not listed on his website schedule, I'm assuming that he is not yet guaranteed a place. US Open website has a splashscreeen with Martin Kaymer, no data of any kind on players or qualification. 2014 exemption categories included OWGR top 60 two weeks before and on the Monday of the week itself.

Yeah top 60 on June 01st or June 15th, also Sectional qualifying on May 25th which he hopefully wont need.

Plenty big events for him coming before the cut off, Matchplay, Players (Hopefully), BMW PGA and Irish open.

Cant wait for the U.S Open this year, Chambers Bay sounds spectacular.
    A Scottish style links in the north west of the U.S :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

rocky911 wrote: »
    ...Pretty sure that top 50 gets you in to all majors?

Not the PGA as this is run by the PGA as in teaching professionals not the PGA tour as in what we see week in and week out on TV.

PGA qualification criteria...
    All former PGA Champions.
    Winners of the last five U.S. Opens.
    Winners of the last five Masters.
    Winners of the last five Open Championships.
    The last Senior PGA Champion.
    The low 15 scorers and ties in the previous PGA Championship.
    The 20 low scorers in the last PGA Professional National Championship.
    The 70 leaders in official money standings on the PGA Tour (starting one week prior to the previous year's PGA Championship and ending two weeks prior to the current year's PGA Championship).
    Members of the most recent United States and European Ryder Cup Teams, provided they are in the top 100 of the Official World Golf Ranking as of one week before the start of the tournament.
    Winners of tournaments co-sponsored or approved by the PGA Tour since the previous PGA Championship (does not include pro-am and team competitions, but does include alternate events).
    The PGA of America reserves the right to invite additional players not included in the categories listed above.
    The total field is a maximum of 156 players. Vacancies are filled by the first available player from the list of alternates (those below 70th place in official money standings).

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I think the Masters is the only major that uses year end rankings as one of its entry criteria. The others are based on rankings one and two weeks prior to the commencement of the tournament. For the U.S. Open, it's the top 60 two weeks before and the week of the tournament. Shane has already qualified for the Open Championship by being in the top 30 in last year's Race to Dubai. The PGA always invite the top 100 in the world rankings, although it's not a formal entry criterion.

• Advertisement

I think the Masters is the only major that uses year end rankings as one of its entry criteria. The others are based on rankings one and two weeks prior to the commencement of the tournament. For the U.S. Open, it's the top 60 two weeks before and the week of the tournament. Shane has already qualified for the Open Championship by being in the top 30 in last year's Race to Dubai. The PGA always invite the top 100 in the world rankings, although it's not a formal entry criterion.

Yeah for a number of years the PGA like to boast of having the top 100 (Assuming injury free). The strongest field of all the majors I guess even though The Open and U.S Open will always be my favourite majors :)

Shane's first category in which he qualified for this years Open was actually from finishing top 10 in Hoylake. Looking good to play all 4 majors this year :) Its great to play them all and the WGC events but id love to see him win somewhere this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Maths1

I too would like to see him win again.awful missed opportunities last year in the BMW PGAand the Welsh Open.Playing in these tournaments isfine,but the longer you have not won, the more difficult it becomes to win

I too would like to see him win again.awful missed opportunities last year in the BMW PGAand the Welsh Open.Playing in these tournaments isfine,but the longer you have not won, the more difficult it becomes to win

I think it's a bit harsh to describe the BMW PGA as an awful missed opportunity. Rory played out of his skin that day and Shane holed a monster putt on the 18th to finish second on his own. And he was two shots behind Luiten with one round to play in the Welsh Open and finished tied second one shot behind.

So it's hardly as if he had either tournament in the bag and threw it away.

Yeah that double bogey on 13th in the BMW was a killer. Be interesting how he goes there next month.

Shane remains at 48 in this week's world rankings, so he qualifies for the Players. Two big weeks coming up for him in the States, followed by the BMW PGA at Wentworth and the Irish Open.

He should be relatively fresh compared to a lot of other players, so it will be very interesting to see how he performs. Could make or break his season.

Not that it makes too much difference but he'll be pooled in the 33-48 seed bracket for the match play draw today as a result.

Shane is confirmed as 47th seed for this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/592727789381558273

Shane plays Gmac the first match

RD. 1 (WED.)
    Fowler vs. English
    McDowell vs. Lowry
    RD. 2 (THUR.)
    Fowler vs. Lowry
    McDowell vs. English
    RD. 3 (FRI.)
    Fowler vs. McDowell
    Lowry vs. English

Tough group, McDowell gave him a lesson last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ah pheck. Two Irish in one group. GMac hasn't been on song lately, but he is very good at matchplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Shane 1up after the 1st after an eagel. A'boy Shane

2up after 2 (par)
    2up after 3 (par)
    2up after 4 (par)
    1up after 5 (par)
    1up after 6 (par)
    1up after 7 (par)
    Fell asleep after the 7th woke up to see he won 1up. Great way to start the day. Shane for the win overall :p

I couldn't watch or follow this last night but delighted with Shane's win last night - GMac is a tough guy in matchplay - great scalp.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

vienne86 wrote: »
    I couldn't watch or follow this last night but delighted with Shane's win last night - GMac is a tough guy in matchplay - great scalp.

He won it with a great pitch too. Gmac had pitched to 3 feet and Shane followed it with a brilliant pitch inside that.
    As always, the guys in sky were singing his praises.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

PARlance wrote: »
    He won it with a great pitch too. Gmac had pitched to 3 feet and Shane followed it with a brilliant pitch inside that.
    As always, the guys in sky were singing his praises.

Good job on 18, especially after giving one back on 17. A win today would nearly do it.

First Up wrote: »
    Good job on 18, especially after giving one back on 17. A win today would nearly do it.

A win today would guarantee a play off, McDowell win today would suit him as well.

A win today would guarantee a play off, McDowell win today would suit him as well.

If he wins today and McDowell loses, then he would be eliminated if he loses his final match and McDowell wins his. On the other hand, if he were to win today and McDowell were to lose both his remaining matches, he would be in a three way play off if he were to lose tomorrow. If both Lowry and McDowell win today, then Shane would be guaranteed a place in the last 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If he wins today and McDowell loses, then he would be eliminated if he loses his final match and McDowell wins his. On the other hand, if he were to win today and McDowell were to lose both his remaining matches, he would be in a three way play off if he were to lose tomorrow. If both Lowry and McDowell win today, then Shane would be guaranteed a place in the last 16.

Clear as mud

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Clear as mud

It's due to the way they decide who wins a group if two or more players tie on two points. If it's a three way tie, there's a playoff. If it's a two way tie, the group winner is the player who won the match between the two players finishing tied on two points.

If both Shane and GMac win today, then Shane is guaranteed going though even if he loses because the winner of the Fowler/GMac match would be the other player on two points and he would have already beaten both of them.

On the other hand, if GMac loses today and wins tomorrow, then Lowry would go out if he loses his match as he would be in a two way tie and would have lost the match between the two players tied on two points.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Lowry 1up on Fowler after 10 holes
    GMAC 2 up on English after 9 holes

• Advertisement

It's due to the way they decide who wins a group if two or more players tie on two points. If it's a three way tie, there's a playoff. If it's a two way tie, the group winner is the player who won the match between the two players finishing tied on two points.

If both Shane and GMac win today, then Shane is guaranteed going though even if he loses because the winner of the Fowler/GMac match would be the other player on two points and he would have already beaten both of them.

On the other hand, if GMac loses today and wins tomorrow, then Lowry would go out if he loses his match as he would be in a two way tie and would have lost the match between the two players tied on two points.

Thanks for the explanation. So far so good.

Advertisement