Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Kay 02 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

70 - 80 mins is the norm for a comedy act..

.. so sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Cant believe Peter Kays show is that short. Its a disgrace. I would have expected him to play for around 2 hours. I remember going to see Billy Connolly in the Olympia and he played for 2 1/2 hours without any break.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Wasn't impressed by show, could have been delivered by an amateur....a lot of material just a reworking of older stuff and a lot of filler, esp the song clips which he could have robbed off any website....overall I was quiet disappointed and show only lasted about 70 mins of so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭RoryMac

70 mins does sound very short without a support act! Although i've seen Billy Connolly do his 2 1/2 hour shows too and that's a bit on the long side especially with how grumpy Billy is these days.

Absolutely loved it.. he's in a league of his own. Not for everyone but he didn't diasappoint me in the slightest.

Didn't feel short at all. He's still a helluva show man.

That finale needs to be seen to be believed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Scotty #

He came on just before 8.20 and break was at 9.10. Second half was about the same and encore was 15 mins or so...
    Basq wrote: »
    Absolutely loved it.. he's in a league of his own. Not for everyone but he didn't diasappoint me in the slightest.

Didn't feel short at all. He's still a helluva show man.

That finale needs to be seen to be believed!
    Totally agree. Show was top class from start to (the brilliant) finish.

Break was 8.50 Scotty, then back on at 9.20 for another 45 minutes.

Top class though.

Still in bits from the teachers sayings ("silence when you're talking to me", "look up at the blackboard while I go through it etc.). Couldn't breathe with the laughing during that bit.

Basq wrote: »
    Break was 8.50 Scotty
    Ohh, for some reason I have 10 past 9 in my head.... :confused:. Anyway, didn't seem short to me. I actually had a pain in the back of my head from laughing, couldn't have taken much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭deeks

Was there last night. Thought he was brilliant but the show was on the short side. I know stand ups don't necessarily usually do long sows but an hour and a quarter including encore and no support act did seem on the mean side. In saying that though, some of it was absolutely hilarious and I still have a pain in my sides today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭phonypony

"don't wanna see you floatin' round this school..."

• Advertisement

phonypony wrote: »
    "don't wanna see you floatin' round this school..."
    Oh Christ.. Stop! :D

Didn't feel short at all I thought. The second half was just top class especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

"The way you come waltzing in here"...

Not going to spoil it for anyone but DO NOT miss the encore

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

A few spoilers wouldn't go astray. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i thought it was very disappointing. the show was shorter than any other comedy shows i've been to by a fair bit.
    the lyrics bit dragged on. it was funny, but not original at all. zig and zag used to do that when ian dempsey was on 2fm back in the day.
    he's funny, but no rich hall!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

heading tonight and just have a camera question-are we allowed to bring one in ?im afraid to chance it and have it taken off me :(

also we are driving up anyone have any tips for a spot nearby(ish!) to park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Was there last night, second half was definitely funnier than the first. Some of the material was recycled from older stuff but still very funny... At one stage I was crying and couldn't catch my breath from laughing so much!!! Great show all in all, encore was great too. Always puts the audience in a good mood before leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭argentum

heading tonight and just have a camera question-are we allowed to bring one in ?im afraid to chance it and have it taken off me :(

also we are driving up anyone have any tips for a spot nearby(ish!) to park

Strict no camera policy as the announcement said at least 5 times before the gig started.
    the multy story carpark is fine its a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was there last night. It was fantastic.

Peter Kay, not the 02.

Drink is expensive. VERY EXPENSIVE.

I was in the 9th row and there were sh*t loads of people with their cameras out at the "big finale". The girl was nearly climbing over people to tell them to stop. I had to stop her literally climbing up my back. Told her to rightly "FVCK OFF"

I took one picture before the show started of one of the tv screens and a video of the crowd. That's it. Fella in front of me probably got the entire last 5 minutes.

BTW He came on around 8:10 and finished up for a break around 9pm. He came back out at 9:20 and finished up at 10pm.

We legged it out after, hopped on the Luas immediately and were in Lr Abbey Street in 10 minutes.

Now, I only have to wait for Michael McIntyre. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Berty wrote: »
    The girl was nearly climbing over people to tell them to stop. I had to stop her literally climbing up my back. Told her to rightly "FVCK OFF"

In fairness, the people to "rightly" tell to fúck off are the tools that insist on filming these gigs on their phones, not the poor sods trying to enforce the rules.

Peter Kay was great. Found the first half to be a bit meh and nothing new but I thought it really picked up in the second half. I was crying laughing at one point. I was in block A and thought the sound was a bit off. There was a very noticable "sshhhh" sound at the end of the sentences. It didn't hamper the experience too much though :)

One thing that was evident, yet again, last night was the complete inability of Irish audiences to get through a show without alcohol. It was 8:20 when he came on and there were still people arriving after that point, a drink in each hand. Then we have to stand up to let these gimps out to go for a piss multiple times during the show. Does my head in. Its a comedy gig, it was never going to be a late finish. There was still plenty of time to go to the pub afterwards ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Chinafoot wrote: »

One thing that was evident, yet again, last night was the complete inability of Irish audiences to get through a show without alcohol. It was 8:20 when he came on and there were still people arriving after that point, a drink in each hand. Then we have to stand up to let these gimps out to go for a piss multiple times during the show. Does my head in. Its a comedy gig, it was never going to be a late finish. There was still plenty of time to go to the pub afterwards ffs.

i didnt notice one person leaving during the show? lighten up ffs. Its a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

In other news I was asked about joining the Audi Club. Heck Brown Thomas don't even ask me about a store card. We must have been looking good last night! Lol

Being a comedy it can be a bit weird that the girl next to you is laughing so much the entire row of seats shakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

i didnt notice one person leaving during the show? lighten up ffs. Its a night out.

You didn't notice one person leaving? Well you're either blind or else must have been very lucky to be in an area of people that didnt need to empty their beer-filled baldders. I can assure you there were plenty of people who left the show. I personally had to stand up 5 times during the show to let people out to pee/buy more beer, the row in front was the same, as were behind, and a quick look around showed plenty of people leaving their seats while the show was going on.

As for lightening up? Well excuse me for wanting to actually see the person I have paid to see. Not listen to the drunken ramblings of the D4 prick behind me after every joke or have to move every 10 minutes to let some drunken tool out past me because he can't possible last an hour without a beer. Its a comedy gig in a large venue. Its not vicar street or a night out in the International Bar. I'd rather be seen as someone who needs to lighten up (ya know, turns up on time, is considerate of other people) than the inconsiderate, drunken arseholes that are more interested in their next pint than the show on stage in front of them.

Definitely wasn't the case Thursday night. Plenty of drinks before the show and during interval but I too didn't see anyone leave during the show and I was seated about 3/4 way back. Didn't have to let anyone out once knor did anyone block my view, not once. Friday night could have been a different matter being that is was start of BH weekend and people might have had a few extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

gazzer wrote: »
    Cant believe Peter Kays show is that short. Its a disgrace. I would have expected him to play for around 2 hours. I remember going to see Billy Connolly in the Olympia and he played for 2 1/2 hours without any break.

Thats an extraordinarily long gig though.

I go to about two comedy gigs a month (at least) and 70ish mins is the standard gig time as most gigs go 60-80 mins with a few exceptions going a bit longer, but generally from what people are saying Peter Kay is playing the norm in terms of gig duration.

I understand its a night out, but its extremely annoying to have to constantly stand up/miss a bit for the same person going out for a píss every 20 minutes because they are inhaling beer. To have to stand up, pick up all your belongings, sit down, get comfortable again every few minutes is a total pain in the ass.

It is anyones right to go to a gig and get pissed, whatever, but its everyone elses right to actually enjoy the gig and not have to be put out by someones weak bladder.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    You didn't notice one person leaving? Well you're either blind or else must have been very lucky to be in an area of people that didnt need to empty their beer-filled baldders. I can assure you there were plenty of people who left the show. I personally had to stand up 5 times during the show to let people out to pee/buy more beer, the row in front was the same, as were behind, and a quick look around showed plenty of people leaving their seats while the show was going on.

As for lightening up? Well excuse me for wanting to actually see the person I have paid to see. Not listen to the drunken ramblings of the D4 prick behind me after every joke or have to move every 10 minutes to let some drunken tool out past me because he can't possible last an hour without a beer. Its a comedy gig in a large venue. Its not vicar street or a night out in the International Bar. I'd rather be seen as someone who needs to lighten up (ya know, turns up on time, is considerate of other people) than the inconsiderate, drunken arseholes that are more interested in their next pint than the show on stage in front of them.

im sorry but i just dont believe for one second you had to stand up 5 times to let people out.
    and no..im not blind. Maybe i was too focused on the actual act...and not on my surroundings. But no...i didnt see anyone leave during the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

im sorry but i just dont believe for one second you had to stand up 5 times to let people out.
    and no..im not blind. Maybe i was too focused on the actual act...and not on my surroundings. But no...i didnt see anyone leave during the gig.

I've been to two gigs in the O2, Ricky Gervais and Russel Brand and both gigs I had to get up at least 4 or 5 times especially considering when one person leaves you have to stand up twice. If 3 people in a row have to pee, thats 6 times standing up.

I've been to two gigs in the O2, Ricky Gervais and Russel Brand and both gigs I had to get up at least 4 or 5 times especially considering when one person leaves you have to stand up twice. If 3 people in a row have to pee, thats 6 times standing up.

cheers for the Math lesson!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ok, let's agree that some people get annoyed by people leaving mid-show to piss, and get back on topic, folks.

so we went last night and feeling a bit meh about the whole thing if im honest

arrived round 6.20 -plenty of parking in the carpark next to it-10 euro parking for the night which was grand

no queues and straight into the o2-drinks were saucy enough,6.50 for a wine and 6.50 for a btl carlsberg

He came on stage about 8.20 went back off at 8.50 -came back on at 9.20 and played till about 10.15

For what the tickets cost this was way too short-it was very funny in parts but not side splittingly so (and im a massive fan of his for years )

People were up and down all night -most without so much as an excuse me/thank you:rolleyes: and we were surrounded by noisy drunken idiots (we were in block b)

it was a bit of an anti climax and a bit disappointing we would def not go to see him again :(

• Advertisement

also on the camera thing - i did bring mine but asked about it before we went in and was told no way could we bring it in (which was fine) we were also told no camera phones and like two obedient fools we tridged back to the car with ours :o

lets just say we must have been one of the only ones to actually follow the rule we were blinded by the amount of flashes cameras and i phones as far as the eye could see!

any one spotted just got a slap on the wrist and they went right back to doing it :rolleyes:

Advertisement