Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Irish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

I'm half Irish half English and I like it that way the best of both.

Guess your not half bad;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭loglogbarkbark

It's great cos I used to say I was Irish because I thought living here for ten years would mean I am but if I said the word video or there I would be told I'm english hahaha.I support england in football (my dad would murder me otherwise) so I could never say i'm fully Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

It's great cos I used to say I was Irish because I thought living here for ten years would mean I am but if I said the word video or there I would be told I'm english hahaha.I support england in football (my dad would murder me otherwise) so I could never say i'm fully Irish.

Do you support the fact that Britian controls the six counties? Just curious:pac:

Do you support the fact that Britian controls the six counties? Just curious:pac:
    I couldn't give a fiddlers to tell you the truth the same as alot of people.I love asda.I love Ireland and england.I hate the our time will come bull**** from drunk prats.My great grand fathers were on either side and they were both doing what they felt was right so why should I choose?My opinion is not valid I didn't live through the troubles up there.I did get alot of up the ra **** during in school.Once I was called a dirty prod on my communion day which made me laugh.

I couldn't give a fiddlers to tell you the truth the same as alot of people.I love asda.I love Ireland and england.I hate the our time will come bull**** from drunk prats.My great grand fathers were on either side and they were both doing what they felt was right so why should I choose?My opinion is not valid I didn't live through the troubles up there.I did get alot of up the ra **** during in school.Once I was called a dirty prod on my communion day which made me laugh.

Well regardless of nationality, just as a human being on a moral level, do you not think its wrong for one country to invade and own another? I thought I'd ask you seeing as your situation is pretty unique, not trying to stir sh1t.

• Advertisement

Well regardless of nationality, just as a human being on a moral level, do you not think its wrong for one country to invade and own another? I thought I'd ask you seeing as your situation is pretty unique, not trying to stir sh1t.
    No honestly no I think it happened to every country through the years and people have to move on.I have never lived in northern Ireland so I can't speak for them on what they want.I don't want to stir stuff either but I think the situation is very grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Hmmm. I might be in a bit of trouble here. My mother isn't Irish and I have an English surname. Looks like according to some people here I don't belong here despite being born, growing up, going to school, university, working and paying taxes here.

Looks like I'll be off so. May as well go to up to Glasnevin with a shovel to bring De Valera with me on my way out while I'm at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Saint wrote: »

Looks like I'll be off so. May as well go to up to Glasnevin with a shovel to bring De Valera with me on my way out while I'm at it.

he wasn't irish either, thats a spanish surname

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

My criteria is simple.

1. What do you think of Henry?

2. and most importantly you can call yourself Irish when you wake up one day and say "bastards coming over here taking our jobs"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

fryup wrote: »
    he wasn't irish either, thats a spanish surname

Sounds like that was his point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

my parents, and siblings were all born in ireland and my grandparents as far back as I can see were born here, but i was born in england and lived here since I was 3. I consider myself %100 irish. Oh an ive always had an irish passport and citizenship. Never claimed british citizenship or a passport :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

No, you're not.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    No, you're not.

who me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Couldn't be.

what are you on about man?

sdonn wrote: »
    Absolutely, completely and utterly wrong.
    +1

I wasnt born in Ireland because my family lived in england for 6 years during the 80s. I haven't ANY ancestors that aren't Irish(for at least the past 5 generations anyway). My parents, siblings, grandparents, great-grandparents, great-great grandparents - all born and bred in ireland. I have a full blown Limerick City accent. I support Ireland in rugby, republic of ireland in soccer, im living here since I was 3. Ive never had any british citizenship or passport(always had both irish equivalents) and plus, I actually cant ever be a british citizen without naturalization because Im 22. If you are born in england, you have to claim citizenship before you turn 18. So there you go. Im irish

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

yupyup7up wrote: »
    I actually cant ever be a british citizen without naturalization because Im 22. If you are born in england, you have to claim citizenship before you turn 18. So there you go. Im irish
    I think you were mad not to claim duel citizenship. If you ever get into trouble abroad its easier to find a British Embassy than it is to find an Irish one. Having a British Passport could help you should you ever decide to go travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think you were mad not to claim duel citizenship. If you ever get into trouble abroad its easier to find a British Embassy than it is to find an Irish one. Having a British Passport could help you should you ever decide to go travelling.

I flit between English and Irish, depending on which of the two countries has fucked up on something that particular week. Over the past year, I've been more English than Irish, but next year it could be the opposite.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I flit between English and Irish, depending on which of the two countries has fucked up on something that particular week. Over the past year, I've been more English than Irish, but next year it could be the opposite.:eek:

I do the same depending on who is asking and what be in it for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are they different to the basquetards, cos some of them live here as well?

sorry i meant basque separatists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jelomulawin

IMO, an Irish person is either:
    1.) someone who was born and bred in Ireland
    2.) assimilated to Irish culture and lifestyle, regardless of your skin colour, etc, etc.
    *A person is ___ outside, but ___inside.*

Afaik, an Irish person beat John Cena. But I'd still regard him as an Irish person.

Oh wait, wait: A TRUE Irish person is someone who speaks IRISH, and never ever, speak English :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 KillaNinja

if he's irish, then you'll bloody know he's irish!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Worth mentioning that many of the people who campaigned and/or fought for the establishment of Ireland as an independent state were (going by some of the definitions being chucked about in this thread) not Irish at all !
    Quazzie wrote: »

Unless perhaps if your plane gets hijacked......

In any case If one happens to need the services of an Irish embassy in a country lacking such a thing I believe they can use the embassy of any other EU state now instead ?

Irish nationality can also be acquired by being married* to an Irish person for a certain length of time although the process is no longer autmatic and involves some burecratic hoop jumping. * (or "civil partnered" when it comes in)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I'd say grew up in Ireland, someone who was born here but moved away as a kid and never spent more than the occasional 2 week holiday here is not Irish.
    Likewise someone who was born somewhere else but spent most of their life here is probably more Irish than they are [whatever country they were born in]ish.

Obviously people who have citizenship are (and rightly so) treated as Irish, but if I walked up to some foreigner and asked where he/she is from we'd both know that I'm not talking about citizenship.

And how would you know if they were 'some foreigner'? As I already said, I get people asking me where I'm from all the time and I find it really irritating and obnoxious when people ask where I'm from and I say Ireland and then they ask where I'm really from. The answer is still Ireland. Like many people, I had one set of great grandparents from another country. I never met them. I never spoke that language. I never go to that country. I'm as Irish as anyone else, and it really gets on my nerves when smart arses say things like 'yeah, on paper'. No, not on paper. We're not all pasty and freckly!

Ah no, where are ya from really;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

when youve been living here longer than youve been living there.

edit1:
    just seen dual citzenship mentioned...
    i got a friend from the north who has irish and english citzenship. she went to australia but overstayed her visa...so instead of coming back on the english passport she used the irish

its illegal (i think) dont do it!!!!!
    of course i reported her to the PSNI after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Three friends who fit into this who I would consider Irish.

Ones American,Moved here when he was 4 and has a Irish accent,His mother is Irisha nd his father lived here for his teenage years.

Another is Indian,both her parents are Indian and she grew up here,Tottal Irish accent and mannerisms.

Another is from Iraq but and same as above pretty much.

I do have two other friends then,One is from Paistan and another Nigerian

Both moved here when they were 14,still have the accents and Mannerisms so I wouldnt really call them as Irish.

If you were raised here most of your life then yeah,I'd define you as Irish.

Seloth wrote: »
    Three friends who fit into this who I would consider Irish.

Ones American,Moved here when he was 4 and has a Irish accent,His mother is Irisha nd his father lived here for his teenage years.

Another is Indian,both her parents are Indian and she grew up here,Tottal Irish accent and mannerisms.

Another is from Iraq but and same as above pretty much.

I do have two other friends then,One is from Paistan and another Nigerian

Both moved here when they were 14,still have the accents and Mannerisms so I wouldnt really call them as Irish.

If you were raised here most of your life then yeah,I'd define you as Irish.

Would any of them know what 18-6-12 is?:D

• Advertisement

I just found the only thing that made me think i was half irish didn't exist in the first place yay. Its such a relief.

Advertisement