Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    That's far too simplistic. So someone born in Ireland to two African parents, who left after a year, is Irish? And someone who came to Ireland as a toddler and has lived here ever since (and possibly had one or two Irish parents) is not Irish? Where you were born says absolutely nothing really. Loads of people are born in crazy places like Singapore or Tokyo because their parents were working there for a while. It's more about where you grew up, IMO.

The OP asked and I quote "when do you consider a person to be Irish:" and not "when does the law consider a person to be Irish:".

My comment was my opinion as to when a person is Irish, not a matter of fact, simply my opinion. Nothing I said was factual (nor did I ever claim it was) and it was never intended to be.
    is that a statement of fact or opinion?

What happens when John and Mary head off on a holiday during Mary's pregancy and gives birth whilst in eg Wales, London or Paris and the family return to Ireland? By your definition of the facts, the child won't be Irish?

I'd say some of your Oirish cousins in London, Birmingham, Sydney or New York find you to be a barral of laughs. I sincerely hope the Irish State don't treat your future children or friends future children differently when they come into Ireland (visa / passport control wise) if you ever had to leave this country for work

The OP asked and I quote "when do you consider a person to be Irish:" and not "when does the law consider a person to be Irish:".

So to answer your question my comment was my opinion as to when a person is Irish, not a matter of fact.
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    Er. So even though I have lived here since I was 7, I have an Irish passport, my mother is Irish, I can speak Irish pretty well, my name is Aoife and I have a Irish accent I'm not Irish?

umm.....the OP asked and I quote "when do you consider a person to be Irish:" and not "when does the law consider a person to be Irish:". My comment was my opinion as to when a person is Irish, not when do I think the law recognises someone as Irish.

Oh and just so you know I have lived here since I was 7, I have an Irish passport, my mother is Irish and I can also speak Irish pretty well. Legally I am Irish however that is not what the OP was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

kingtut wrote: »

My comment was my opinion as to when a person is Irish, not a matter of fact, simply my opinion. Nothing I said was factual (nor did I ever claim it was) and it was never intended to be.

Erm......obviously. What I meant was, there is nothing very logical about that, so it would be interesting if you could explain why you think that. As I said, going by your post, a person who happened to be born in Shannon during a stopover to the US would be considered Irish, and a person who was born in Singapore to Irish parents wouldn't be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Erm......obviously. What I meant was, there is nothing very logical about that, so it would be interesting if you could explain why you think that. As I said, going by your post, a person who happened to be born in Shannon during a stopover to the US would be considered Irish, and a person who was born in Singapore to Irish parents wouldn't be?

Oh right well my post was not intended to be logical or factual, it is after hours after all, simply me giving my view as to who an irish person is.

Regarding the stop over thing, well yes if they are born in Shannon then they should have full Irish rights, their parents nationalities should not matter. That is just my opinion and I'm going to leave it at that, if this was the law forum then I would gladly admit defeat and say that I did not know the legal standpoint on it, however going back to the OPs question my views (however silly people may think they are) are based on the question "what makes a person irish in your opinion" and not "who does the Irish legal system recognise as Irish" :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Oh right well my post was not intended to be logical or factual, it is after hours after all, simply me giving my view as to who an irish person is.

Regarding the stop over thing, well yes if they are born in Shannon then they should have full Irish rights, their parents nationalities should not matter. That is just my opinion and I'm going to leave it at that, if this was the law forum then I would gladly admit defeat and say that I did not know the legal standpoint on it, however going back to the OPs question my views (however silly people may think they are) are based on the question "what makes a person irish in your opinion" and not "who does the Irish legal system recognise as Irish" :)

Thanks for making your point and the op's post more clear.

To explain our stance

Your view, admirale, is that if the child is born in Ireland, then he is Irish and "should have full Irish rights". Well, rights, priviledges and citizenship is a legal issue, therefore the laws must be referred to.

Going back to your view, if you say only people born in Ireland are Irish, then that makes a mockery to the reality were many Irish all over the world give birth to children in another state.(yes, everyone is aware that the child will still be a citizen).

I take it you are fully aware of why a referendum was brought in in 2004 to change the automatic citizenship. I take it you voted against it. THat is fair enough, the above gives an indication of why you may have voted against changing the rules. THats your view and for purpose of debate must be respected. However, if you had voted for change, then your view on the example such as Shannon, respectively is nonsense, as it leads tothe notion that some African can simply come in and have a child, thus having rights but prevent an Irish family giving birth in another country claim that their child is really Irish would make even pc brigader / immigrant friendly person think that maybe it was right to change the rules.

Anyway, going to the trust of the op, in fairness, whilst I am not a member of the PC Brigade, I was fearing that this thread would turn into something one would have found in the 1900's The Leader articles of DP Moran:eek: For those not in the know, this man did so much damage to the Culture Revolution between Protestants and Catholics in Ireland. He was the man who termed the phrase West Brit and he was telling all those who would listen that only the Catholics were really Irish. Thankfully, bar one of two possible posts, people like yourself have refrained from it.

I would have being one of the first to exentively refer to the legal position. The reason, however, was that some people who were making one or two claims as to what they believed the law was were very off the mark.

Too say though, that Irishness only comes by being born in Ireland, in my view, is far too narrow and completely ignores the reality that nearly in every corner of the world, there is an Irish presence whether good or bad, be it via the Church, Politics or Business. You look at places like New York or many of the big countries history, many an Irish man /woman gets a mention. Without their presence, Ireland would really be a no mark country that no one has every heard of. Granted, I am not saying everyone knows were Ireland is nor I am saying everyone thinks we are great, but you can't deny that there have being many many occassions where the Irish have punched above their weight in International events, one reasonably poor example (sound like Inda Kinny here) is the elevation of an Irish Catholic American into the White House. Our country is too small to pick and choose who is a citizen and who is not. We never had nor never will have an Empire like the big boys, but when you look at er, the Church, many Irish have done brilliant (and horrible embarrassing) work overseas

Turning back to your comments, where if you were born in Ireland you are Irish. Yes, thats great and i would share your view (assumed) that once you actually have the right to be considered in law as Irish, then you shouls be treated and respected as being Irish. To turn to other comments about Real roots or colour etc, the defintion of Irishness can't be static and should not be static. The traits of the Irish should be forever evolving and whether the bred of the New Irish, it can only enhance and improve our hertigage, culture and view points of the world.

On a lighter note, being Irish, eh, watching and supporting English / Scottish football, watching English soaps (soaps are crap, the Irish aint much us) listening to English music (in fairness, the beatles, the who...... not bad going for an relatively small island)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

here is the criteria for being Irish.....
    • must be a catholic
    • have an irish surname
    • play GAA
    • vote Fianna Fail or if needs be Sinn Fein
    • and have at least one wolfe tones album in you record collection

if the above relates to you, then you're a full blown mick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

• must be a catholic
    • have an irish surname
    • play GAA

I don't fit any of those categories, I take it I should pack up and go back to wherever I came from (Where's that again?) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

fryup wrote: »
    here is the criteria for being Irish.....
    • must be a catholic
    • have an irish surname
    • play GAA

if the above relates to you, then you're a full blown mick

* Not Catholic
    * I think the surname comes from Scotland
    * I hate GAA
    * I hate FF & SF
    * No Wolfe Tones
    Jakkass wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    I don't fit any of those categories, I take it I should pack up and go back to wherever I came from (Where's that again?) :pac:

Me too! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Born here. You aren't really Irish unless you were born here.

Example: Calling yourself Irish with a British accent? Nah.

Jakkass wrote: »
    [/list]I don't fit any of those categories, I take it I should pack up and go back to wherever I came from (Where's that again?) :pac:
    schween wrote: »

Me too! :eek:

well then you can both.....

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1602/irishman.jpg

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

Moreover, are you aware of the crap immigrants have to put up with with the GNIB and INIS? do you realise that at the best of times, competence in said departments is not always the strong trait they possess.

no offence - but competence in most Irish public offices is very rare ;) and often you get different opinions in the very one and same officem which I will never understand :eek:

and truly I am not aware of the crap in the said depts as I haven't had any contact with them so far so no experience ;) and probably never will

however I would pity a child whose parents won't sort their (chiild's of course) cs before they reach 16

However if I stay there 2-3 more years and my son will finish Primary School and pass Junior Cert Exams I won't see any way back to my homecountry for him ... just because of eduction - he won't manage with the diffence of the education level between those countries - ours is much higher :( so I would have to think about applying for cs ...

and in that case do you think it would be fair to deny it for us?

• Advertisement

Irish Criteria:

Born in Ireland
    Catholic
    White
    Play/Support GAA
    Hate Rangers

Irish Criteria:

Born in Ireland*
    Catholic
    White*
    Play/Support GAA
    Hate Rangers

*but that rules out half the irish soccer team:cool::confused:

fryup wrote: »
    *but that rules out half the irish soccer team:cool::confused:

Half the team are British.

I know. Nothing I can do about it though. I just hope kids are out playing in the park like I did in my day and that we will have a nice breed in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

What is the relevence of all this discussion about surnames. Why should it matteradamn if my surname is Cromwell-Windsor. Is nationality something which only passes via the paternal line (unless parents are unmarried etc) ?
    have at least one wolfe tones album in you record collection

A record collection ? How quaint :D
    robbie_998 wrote: »
    get a damn irish passport !
    Lots of Irish people have never travelled beyond (/dons flameproof suit) the British Isles (/zips up flameproof suit)and have no plans to do so within the forseeable future. Are you suggesting that such people are stateless by virtue of not possesing a travel document ? By this logic there must have been no such thing as an Irish person prior to 1921 !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

One of my good friends as a youth was a fellow born of parents who immigrated from Hong Kong, the lad does however have a thicker Irish accent than I do and refers to Ireland as home even though he now lives in the UK.

That's Irish enough for me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Irish Criteria:

Born in Ireland
    Catholic
    White
    Play/Support GAA
    Hate Rangers

Every time I see a post I hope is a joke but presume is not I take a shot of whiskey.
    Today it's bushmills.

Sorry for butting in at the end of a thread, I haven't read it all but got as far as sharpshooters claim that if you're born in Ireland you're irish followed by contradiction of same.

I thought that the point of our referendum a few years ago (don't worry I didn't vote in it!!) was that any child born in Ireland was Irish but now their parents have no legal right to stay in the country with them? Isn't that what has happened in a few cases brought to the courts, that the parents are fighting to be allowed stay but are told their kids can stay but they can't? I honestly have always that to be the case.

oopsies if I've gotten it totally arseways :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

So no one can ever be Irish?
    So what do you call all the people living on this island?

basques

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If you have lived here for a period of time where you feel you gained a knowledge of the culture and feel a bond with the country then your Irish in my eyes.

BTW Why does somebody else have the authority to say whether you are Irish or not? Most of them have only negative things to say about the country anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Born in Ireland = Irish

Not born in Ireland = Not Irish

Doesn't matter how long you lived in your birth place for or where your parents are from.

Absolutely, completely and utterly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

b12mearse wrote: »
    basques

Are they different to the basquetards, cos some of them live here as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'd say grew up in Ireland, someone who was born here but moved away as a kid and never spent more than the occasional 2 week holiday here is not Irish.
    Likewise someone who was born somewhere else but spent most of their life here is probably more Irish than they are [whatever country they were born in]ish.

Obviously people who have citizenship are (and rightly so) treated as Irish, but if I walked up to some foreigner and asked where he/she is from we'd both know that I'm not talking about citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 offdechain

yes

Lirael wrote: »
    no offence - but competence in most Irish public offices is very rare ;) and often you get different opinions in the very one and same officem which I will never understand :eek:

and truly I am not aware of the crap in the said depts as I haven't had any contact with them so far so no experience ;) and probably never will

however I would pity a child whose parents won't sort their (chiild's of course) cs before they reach 16

However if I stay there 2-3 more years and my son will finish Primary School and pass Junior Cert Exams I won't see any way back to my homecountry for him ... just because of eduction - he won't manage with the diffence of the education level between those countries - ours is much higher :( so I would have to think about applying for cs ...

and in that case do you think it would be fair to deny it for us?

Short answer as for fairness; yes and no.

forgive me, i am a small bit loss with part of your comment in light of my post that you quoted. To make it clear, i was arguing for the child's entitlement to citizenship as of birth where the meets Section 6A. I was responding to another posters query that maybe the child should wait until 16 years to decide taking up citizenship where the parent does not wish to natualise. I was arguing that the child should be (and is) entitled to the citizenship immediately. Section 6 A would be worthless otherwise for reasons i pointed out, such as and in particular access education. It should not matter a fiddlers about the parents future intentions. if the child was born in Ireland to foreign parents and if the parents meet the criteria, then the child is a citizen without condition. At that point it is up to that child to exercise that citizenship (eg apply for passport or live in Ireland) the same as any other child and not the parent.

I don't know your situation or whether you have a child, or whether that child has citizenship at time of his birth (either because the child was born before 2005, or one of parents had lived in this State for 3 years)

However, assuming that you have a child and he/she was born in this country after 2005 and assuming that child is a citizen, then it is right that that child is treated the same as the Fiachra, Cabaiste etc of the world.

However, assuming that your child was/will be born after 2005, but you do/did not met Section 6A criteria at the time of the birth, a number of situations could happen

(a) the child will go through the education system like all others, but College/University might be costly where the child is not a citizen of Ireland or other EU state. However, the child might be entitled to maintenance grants (might)By the time the child would reach college age, the child would probably be 18ish and could freely apply for citizenship himself/herself assuming his permission to reside is not stamp 2(sadly, he / she would be about 20ish before the citizenship would be given so maybe take time out and raise some money for college/uni or do some preparation course). I don't think a child under 18 can apply for one himself after they met the usual 5 years, and i think the parent may have to have naturalised before such an application

(b) If the parent intends to make Ireland his/her residence, they should apply for citizenship. After all, they will hardly want to have to require work permits, hassle with annual renewal of immigration status all their lives? Also they may wish to enjoy the addition of being an EU citizen. Again this takes about 2-3 yearsOnce naturalised, they can apply for the minor child, this will take about 1 year

I guess if you are that concerned about your children and wish to make sure the child has citizenship before they reach college age the parent has a responsibility to apply themselves.

Part of the reason i don't believe it is unfair is because the people who have to apply should be screened/ checked. The applicant may not get citizenship at all if they are either

not of good character (middle to serious criminal convictions)
    relied upon social welfare for three years prior to the application (bear in mind most immigrants must be economical active)
    and have not shown a genuine intention and good faith that the applicant will reside in Ireland (citizenship should not be taken lightly and its not like collecting 10 crisp packets for a sports bag) examples of bad faith include past failures to renew stauts in a reasonable time, long periods outside this country, applications for residence visas in other countries

It is a bit harsh (ie scenerio you raised), particularily where the child has lived a life no more or no different to the likes of the Fiachra etc of the world. But a line must be drawn in the sand. At the end of the day, your child is a non Eu/irish person and a guest of the state (sorry if that sounds extremely patronising). The parents may not be living up to their expectations in order to reside here. And if, after considering all facts and circumstances in a fair manner, a deportation if merit then the state should be allowed to deport in order to maintain the integrity of the immgiration system. Examples include where the child/parent is involved in serious crime or social welfare fraud (we could go on all day with regard to a person not being a good behaviour but for purpose of this, lets assume this is the situation - anyway, the family may still be successful in beating such a deportation particularily if they have lived here for about 10 years, no point second guessing what a minister might or might not do in these situations). Also, the minister has a responsibility to consider the state's resources such as access to education and applicants for citizenship.

Despite this (ie scenerio you raised), one must remember, the Minister, under the legislation does have discretion to waive the period of residency criteria. If a parent had a subsequent child who was Irish, maybe the rest of the family, considering they have lived in Ireland for a lengthy period of time, might be able to persuade the Minister to waive the normal residency time and consider an application for citizenship. also, it maybe a case where the parent and child are stateless (eg some countries treat their ethnic minorites different and don't treat them as their own citizens, in that situation, citizenship maybe granted to a child regardless of parents length of time here)

In conclusion, it is a small price to pay in order for the parent to naturalise if they want their Irish born child but not a citizen to have citizenship before their 18th birthday

oh yeah, if you the parent are EU citizens (therefore the child is the same) then in reality, you and your family will be treated the same in every way as an Irish person (bar voting for dail - oh no) so citizenship may not be a big issue

Every time I see a post I hope is a joke but presume is not I take a shot of whiskey.
    Today it's bushmills.

ah careful dr your nationality might be questioned:rolleyes:, bushmills whiskey was made by them lovely Protestants in antrim (ok Guinness also had them) and had some links with Lord Craigavon (James Craig) (dunville whiskey).:p

No doubt you will see the ironies with bushmills v jameson and the usual sectarian crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

when u do a good days work in the good oul bog!

Sorry for butting in at the end of a thread, I haven't read it all but got as far as sharpshooters claim that if you're born in Ireland you're irish followed by contradiction of same.

I thought that the point of our referendum a few years ago (don't worry I didn't vote in it!!) was that any child born in Ireland was Irish but now their parents have no legal right to stay in the country with them? Isn't that what has happened in a few cases brought to the courts, that the parents are fighting to be allowed stay but are told their kids can stay but they can't? I honestly have always that to be the case.

oopsies if I've gotten it totally arseways :o

yes and no.

the supreme court in 2003 dealt with the parent's right to stay or be removed, and kind of overturned previous cases which automatically allowed the parents to stay. despite this case, there were thousand of children in limbo so plans were made by government to give them residence, as a cut off point.

the referendum was brought in in order to change the laws so that in the future there would be no claims as seen in the courts that a child was a citizen because the laws would not give citizenship to the child in the first place, therefore no legal argument to make. note the small reduction of heavily pregnant asylum seekers coming in - this can be seen at the dept of justices various websites. the referendum had being made more neccessary in light of :

addition of citizenship to northern ireland where additional illegals could be born and avail of irish citizenship as seen in the below case

and a european case known as Chen v UK which might have, in certain limited circumstances attack the supreme court case of 2003 on the basis of EU citizenship rights

The referendum came in order to try and prevent future claims (ie made by illegal immigrants)

THe more recent Irish Citizen Children cases derrive from child born before the change of rules and in light of some harsh conditions and lack of foresight under the IBC 05 scheme or claims made by fathers who came into Ireland 2-3 years after the mother got residence.

Would you say someone is Irish because they have an Irish passport?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭loglogbarkbark

I'm half Irish half English and I like it that way the best of both.

Advertisement