Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Irish?

Options
  • 05-12-2009 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Quick question, as a foreigner: when do you consider a person to be Irish:

1. When has an Irish citizensip
    2. Was born in Ireland
    3. Born in Ireland from Irish parents, who were born from Irish parents, etc, etc..
    4. Is just well integrated into society and the lifestyle

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

When he moans about politicans and then votes Fianna Fail in 3 (three) consecutive elections.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

When they pay taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

when his parents parents and his parents are all irish born in ireland and when they are born in ireland them selves,

pretty much when they are all irish born, all the crap about not having irish parents but being born in ireland, the government makes you irish is gone, they stopped that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Can you play for ireland ?

sadly thats the criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Nettie

If you've lived here most your life and your parents (or maybe just one) are Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭aftermn

Don't know for sure, but think if you are born here you qualify. Certainly if you are born here of at least 1 irish citizen, then you qualify.

If you are a multi-millionaire from Arabia, you certainly qualify, irrespective of birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

When you have an Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Born here, parents born here.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

robbie_998 wrote: »
    when his parents parents and his parents are all irish born in ireland and when they are born in ireland them selves,

pretty much when they are all irish born, all the crap about not having irish parents but being born in ireland, the government makes you irish is gone, they stopped that.

not actually, when I child is born to non-Irish parents who lived there for 5 years may be awarded Irish citizenship :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Your Irish when you wake up dying with a hangover and your first thought is that another drink will cure it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Dr_Phil wrote: »

2. Was born in Ireland
    3. Born in Ireland from Irish parents, who were born from Irish parents, etc, etc..

Cheers.

It's a trap!

Why you wanna know?

wudangclan wrote: »
    When you have an Irish accent.

try to speak other languages with no irish accent :P

I'd say I may have better irish accent than u might speak my language ;) no offence :D

Lirael wrote: »
    not actually, when I child is born to non-Irish parents who lived there for 5 years may be awarded Irish citizenship :P

how long ago was that ?

if your born here and your parents werent it does not make you irish.

the government stopped that !

it now must be irish roots etc.

no more of that your born here therefore your irish crap, its gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Abigayle wrote: »
    It's a trap!

Why you wanna know?
    I've loads of questions my dear... There's just not enough cans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I agree with wudangclan - its all in the accent

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

If you are born in Ireland, then you are an Irish citizen.

Afaik it doesn't matter what nationality your parents are, but if they are different to yours then you have dual citizenship re whatever country they were born in.

This I know because of my liking of Wrestling believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

The subject of original post was "am i irish" then in original post you never say whch category of list you gave that you fall into?

So who knows what you are.

Maybe a confused foreigner mingling with Irish people :D

Id say they all kind of are Irish in way, just different.

True irish is born here! Otherwise you are where you were born/reared etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Born here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you were born here and have lived here all your life you become Irish - (Whatever other nationality
    Kind of like Irish-American.

how long ago was that ?

if your born here and your parents werent it does not make you irish.

the government stopped that !

it now must be irish roots etc.

no more of that your born here therefore your irish crap, its gone

no, they stopped giving irish citizenship to children born of non irish parents despite the lenght of stay there

I may be wrong, but I have read it somewhere that a child may be naturalized after the parents stayed at least 5 years in the state and the parents do not have to ...

though I'd say that no foreigner will ever be real Irish even if they had a passport with lire

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I've loads of questions my dear... There's just not enough cans.

Give it to us in short hand then darling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

As most of this responses to this thread probably tell you, you will never be accepted as Irish if every single one of your ancestors weren't Irish. If you have a skin tone darker than pasty white, you will never be considered Irish, no matter how well you hold your drink, how much of an Irish accent you have and how Irish your last name is. I am seen as Irish to everyone but the Irish. I've gone way past caring, since I've dual nationality and the other one is much more accepting, despite me having spent much less of my life there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

If you are born in Ireland, then you are an Irish citizen.

Afaik it doesn't matter what nationality your parents are, but if they are different to yours then you have dual citizenship re whatever country they were born in.

This I know because of my liking of Wrestling believe it or not.

Erm, did you miss that whole referendum thing a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Anyone who wants to be Irish can be Irish if they don't act the £$%&*.

Not big into the idea of nationalism.

Lirael wrote: »
    no, they stopped giving irish citizenship to children born of non irish parents despite the lenght of stay there

I may be wrong, but I have read it somewhere that a child may be naturalized after the parents stayed at least 5 years in the state and the parents do not have to ...

is that not what i said in a nut shell ?

if your born here but you parents weren't then your not irish

basically your parents and parents parents must be in someway irish or have irish roots,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

2. Was born in Ireland

Cheers.

Forget all that.
    You are Irish if you can answer yes to one or both of the following questions.

1. Have you ever worked a full week in the bog, turnin', footin', stuckin' turf?

2. Have you ever wanked and subsequently sprayed whilst thinking about Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

basically your parents and parents parents must be in someway irish or have irish roots,
    Those that are born to parents not born in Ireland never really have a true nationality. In Ireland they are viewed as foreign and in their parents home country they are viewed as Irish.

IMO, if you grow up in Ireland you're Irish.

hell, but what about NATURALIZATION??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    As most of this responses to this thread probably tell you, you will never be accepted as Irish if every single one of your ancestors weren't Irish.
    Ha, it reminds me of experiment a few English lords went for, being 1000% sure they are all pure English blood - gene testing. The result was... a bit surprising: only one of them was in 40% English, the other lads were barely getting 20%.

Ah, lovely Irony..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Citizen + Well Integrated + Liking what you are integrated into = Irish in my book.

Advertisement