Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Picture of the Packers superbowl ring, via Adam Schefter's twitter.
    http://lockerz.com/s/111605325

It's not too bad looking despite the giant G and packers writing on the side. :D
    A good amount of diamonds on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

The green colouring on it is a lovely touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Morning, been out of the NFL loop since it went into embargo lockdown.

Honest answers-will there be a proper 2011 season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes there will but I don't see anything happening until mid July

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

melb wrote: »
    Morning, been out of the NFL loop since it went into embargo lockdown.

Honest answers-will there be a proper 2011 season?

Things look promising at the moment. The sides have been meeting for the last couple of weeks with minimal lawyer input, and neither side has being courting media favouritism. It seems like both sides are finally keen to make a deal and the limited information getting out seems to point tentatively in that direction. Probably a month or so away from a deal being finished.

The backlash to no football on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 would be very damaging and is an extra motivation to get a deal done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 vandrews

Agreed... both sides have too much to lose by not playing, should be resolved before August.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

Why are player that are in the supplemental draft not included in the original draft, or is for players that are not picked in the original draft??

All the talk is about Tyrelle Pryor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

billo.d86 wrote: »
    Why are player that are in the supplemental draft not included in the original draft, or is for players that are not picked in the original draft??

All the talk is about Tyrelle Pryor.

Its for players who missed the filing deadline for the draft or guys who fooked up in college and thus missed the filing deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Advertisement

College story but me likes :)
    I'm going to keep an eye on this guy's career!
    article-2007972-0CB8F40D00000578-446_468x263.jpgarticle-0-0012E08000000258-46_468x286.jpg
    A father-of-four had become stuck under the rear tyre of a Cadillac Seville, while his wife screamed as she tried in vain to lift it with two other men.
    But tow truck driver Pedro Arzola, 34, was in luck as a 295lbs American footballer happened to be on hand to use all his strength and lift the car.
    University of South Florida (USF) Bulls player Danous Estenor, 21, a 6ft 3in offensive guard, lifted the vehicle and Mr Arzola was pulled to safety.

Estenor parked his car outside the Bulls Den Café in Tampa, Florida, for a bite to eat when he heard screams, reported the St Petersburg Times.
    The college sportsman saw Mr Arzola was not moving and he could not see his legs. 'I'm thinking, "Oh, God, this guy is going to die,"' he said.

‘I tried to lift the car, and when I first tried, it didn't budge. I backed up. I don't know,’ Estenor told the St Petersburg Times.
    Mr Arzola’s wife Maria Uribe said he was yelling for help and the scene looked like a 'horror movie' with lots of blood.

But Estenor added: 'I felt this energy come, and I lifted it. I don't know how, but somebody pulled him from the car.'
    ‘I'm thinking, "Oh, God, this guy is going to die". I tried to lift the car, and when I first tried, it didn't budge. I backed up. But I felt this energy come, and I lifted it. I don't know how, but somebody pulled him from the car'

Mr Arzola somehow came away with only cuts, bruises and a dislocated shoulder - and was back on his day job just two weeks later.
    'I appreciate (Estenor) doing what he did, saving my husband's life,' Ms Uribe said. 'If nobody helps me, I don't know if he is in the room right now.'
    USF strength and conditioning coach, Mike Golden, said he could easily name 100 NFL players who would not be able to lift up the 3,500-pound car.
    'He just was in the right place at the right time, got that adrenaline rush and got it done,' Mr Golden told the St Petersburg Times.
    It was a matter of Estenor's hunger that happened to drive him to the campus cafeteria that night in February.

He told the Palm Beach Post: 'God puts you in the place he had planned all the time. God told me to go to that cafeteria for a reason. I never go to that cafeteria at night. I always cook or go out and buy something, but because I was there, I was able to help that gentleman.'
    He did so despite tearing his meniscus in both knees during his South Florida career - the reason he has played a mere ten games in the three years he has been there.
    But Estenor said he didn't think twice about re-injuring his knees, or calling out for back-up.
    'That was the last thing I was worried about,' he said. 'I just wanted to help that gentleman. I always hope to make a difference, even if it's a small one.'

Estenor told his roommates at first and his parents, Haitian immigrants Cilizia Estenor and Deriles Marc.
    But it wasn't until a cafeteria worker who witnessed the event sent an e-mail to Bulls coach Skip Holtz, retelling the story of his player's monumental feat of strength, that the buzz began to circulate.
    Now, a flood of media coverage has turned Estenor into an overnight sensation; but the athlete is still grappling with how to handle the spotlight.
    He told the Post: 'When it happened, I was in shock. I didn't know what to tell people, who to tell, how to really go about it. It's probably my fault that it's been kept quiet so long.'
    Extreme strength by humans is a phenomenon described by experts as hysterical strength.

268861_10150228529639504_306624109503_6655192_6981115_n.jpg
    (sorry, I don't know how to resize a pic)

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-the-NFL-route-tree.html

I like this article, it's a bit technical but good to learn.

The article talks about how the deep out and the comeback routes are the hardest throws to make, and how those are the throws used to judge whether a QB can make it in the NFL so you see them at the combine

And the odds numbers go to the sideline and the even numbers go to the middle of the field

In case you miss it (and I did), they have a playbook series here
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/inside-the-playbook.html

Now there is a few hours of reading, over 60 articles

I've heard people compare AF to chess, it's not a bad comparison!

This is a good new comedy.
    The summer is normally a lean spell for TV series but USA Network has produced this.
    Available in the usual places ;)

A therapist finds her husband cheating on her so kicks him out and a messy divorce starts.
    She meets a football trainer in a nightclub, they are a lovely new couple and she cures his smoking habit so he recommends her to the head coach

They have a talented but wildly inconsistent receiver which is frustrating the coach.
    The personality of TO and getting into trouble in nightclubs like Plaxico :pac:

So can she cure him and solve his anger issues and make him perform?

It's pretty funny, I'd recommend it anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hazys wrote: »
    GTJN5V0KZes

I only lasted a minute in. What is with the narrow screen incredibly hard to watch. Dude needs to invest in classes on how to make a amateur vid or something while he has spare time during the lockout :D

Speaking of David Anderson he hasn't done a lot in his career but for those who watch Conan will know this:

What do Boardsies think of Tom Brady as the number one player in the NFL's top 100? Certainly causing consternation among a few people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'd be inclined to agree, it's a toss up between him and Manning for me, and Brady has, imo, done more with less around him. Not sure who else, outside those two, could really be considered for the best player, unless you don't think QB is that much more important than other positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I think I'd have a bigger problem with Rodgers not being in the top 5 then I would with Brady's ranking tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,771 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

QB is hugely important of course and for me Drew Brees not being in the top 3 was a huge shock. Rodgers should be top 10 for me but not necessarily top 5. Its not about what he did last year, he just hasn't enough time in the league yet.

On the other side of the same Rodgers coin is Ray Lewis. The man was a beat for many years but he hasn't been at that level for the last two years and I don't understand how he is in the top 5. Ed Reed missed a lot of games over the last two years. The man is still a brilliant player but having only played 22 of a possible 32 regular season games these last two years I don't think he should be ranked that highly. He has been brilliant though when he has played so if you are disregarding the amount of games played he does belong in the top 5 imo.

For me the guy who really didn't get the ranking he deserved was James Harrison. I know the guy is unpopular due to his helmet to helmets and other stuff but the guy is a beast of a player and would definitely be top 10 ifor me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

The thing is that nobody seems to know what exactly the voting criteria was. Was it only based on career achievements or last season? I thought immediately it was the latter but it doesn't appear to be like that at all.

It was also voted for by the players only fwiw.

Sea Devils wrote: »
    The thing is that nobody seems to know what exactly the voting criteria was. Was it only based on career achievements or last season?

It was for last season
    So Arian Foster got a deserved place in the 20's.

But not everyone followed this and some players got voted on career achievement

mikemac wrote: »
    It was for last season
    So Arian Foster got a deserved place in the 20's.

But not everyone followed this and some players got voted on career achievement

Thats the thing with these polls especially when its players voting on them. They pick over career rather than season. So even if Brady or Manning had a stinker in the season gone they would be up there.

1 year top 100 polls are pointless anyways. Reminds me of the Maxin or Loaded mags. Who cares if they were 5th last year and 1st this year they are still hot.

Oh and did I mention I hate polls and whos best awards etc etc :D

Field of Dreams, NFL Style

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/7836326dd7/field-of-dreams-2-nfl-lockout-with-taylor-lautner

Even Kevin Costner makes an appearance

Cromortie back to his womanizing ways ;)

This was posted last year I think but I love this catch

One of my favourites and why you should never give up

There are some right thugs in the NFL
    But with training camps and coddling by teams they can be managed
    Showing their true colours or at least the bad influences they are hanging around with now

Here’s a list of all NFL arrests since beginning of Lockout (courtesy of sportingnews.com)

March

13th: Vikings CB Chris Cook (brandishing a handgun)

17th: Raiders OT Mario Henderson (carrying a concealed weapon)

19th: Cowboys DB Bryan McCann (public intoxication)

25th: Packers DL Johnny Jolly (drug possession)

25th: Eagles OT Jason Peters (disturbing the peace)

30th: Buccaneers CB Aqib Talib (aggravated assault with a deadly weapon)

April

3rd: Raiders WR Louis Murphy (drug possession)

4th: Chiefs LB Mike Vrabel (felony theft)

12th: Titans WR Kenny Britt (eluding police, obstruction)

19th: Falcons S William Moore (speeding, driving with suspended license)

May

6th: Chargers LB Antwan Applewhite (drunken driving suspicion)

10th: Buccaneers DE Alex Magee (marijuana possession)

22nd: Bears RB Garrett Wolfe (theft, disorderly conduct, assaulting an officer, resisting arrest with violence)

June

8th: Titans WR Kenny Britt (resisting arrest)

9th: Colts RB Javarris James (drug possession)

16th: Packers CB Brandon Underwood (disorderly conduct)

17th: Seahawks DE Raheem Brock (theft, resisting arrest)

19th: Eagles LB Akeem Jordan (assault and battery)

July

9th: Steelers WR Hines Ward (drunken driving)

10th: Bengals CB Pacman Jones (disorderly conduct)
    Offensive Player of the Lockout: Aqib Talib (aggravated assault with a deadly weapon)
    A cornerback for the Buccaneers, Talib allegedly fired multiple shots at his sister’s boyfriend after an altercation.
    Defensive Player Of The Lockout: Garrett Wolfe (theft, disorderly conduct, assaulting an officer, resisting arrest with violence)
    The 5’7″ Wolfe took on 2 attacking bouncers and two off-duty police officers in a bout outside a Miami Nightclub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Not strictly NFL, but Seth Meyers monologue at the ESPYS this weekend was comedy gold. His Ray Lewis and Brett Favre gags had me in stitches :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement