Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Hazys wrote: »
    Randy Moss wants back in with the Pats:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/16/randy-moss-my-heart-is-in-new-england/

He's coming across as the stalker physco ex-girlfriend who got dumped and cant let it go.

So Pats fans would you take him back?

I think i would on a vet minimum and take my chances.

Dont see it happening, but if his presence disrupts the Pats dressing room, then please get it done :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Looks like the wide receiver known as johnson is making plans in case he has no season next year

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81edb441/article/can-ochocinco-go-from-football-to-futbol-its-a-long-shot?module=HP_cp2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Looks like the wide receiver known as johnson is making plans in case he has no season next year

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81edb441/article/can-ochocinco-go-from-football-to-futbol-its-a-long-shot?module=HP_cp2

Aw come on Ochocinco, surely being third best Wide Receiver in the NFL with the surname "Johnson" is enough to keep you commited.

I know you're buddys with Rio Ferdinand, but let's be honest, you're probably really, really sh!t at soccer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Maybe he can declare for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

Ah hes a disaster, whats wrong with him is he's not the center of attention anymore, thats what all his talking is about. Ever since he left the Vikings, he has done nothing but sulk. Of course he would only sign a big money contract, he doesnt see himself as past it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Lemme just reminisce on off-season! Cant wait to see another one like this!!
    13greenbay.600.1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

First comment underneath sums it up well....

"Oh, please. Grow a pair to replace the ones Gisele cut off"

:pac:

I never knew he was predicted to go that high though prior, thats a huge drop from 2nd to 6th

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    First comment underneath sums it up well....

"Oh, please. Grow a pair to replace the ones Gisele cut off"

:pac:

I never knew he was predicted to go that high though prior, thats a huge drop from 2nd to 6th

I prefer this comment:
    It's not like he was sobbing uncontrollably. I think a lot of the posters here suffer from "internet big man" syndrome - it's easy to criticize on an anonymous message board. Imagine working your whole life for a goal and possibly never having a chance to achieve that goal, and having that all happen at once vs. over 10-20 years. His emotion is powerful, and unlike many of the players who have accomplished far less, you can tell this guy really CARES.

It was obviously a pretty significant moment in his life, sure it wasnt a death to somebody close to him but it was something he and his family cared so much about, he tought his lifelong dream was over. As a fan, its great to see he seriously gives a crap about his job, even tho he's working out in LA and not in Foxoboro during the off season anymore, its clear how much he loves the game and how he wont take it for granted.

Also, i think the tears have as much to do with his parents supporting with him through a rough time also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'm guessing Tom has his Mam's looks then... :pac:

Gotta laugh at all these psuedo macho dudes who've achieved zilch in their lives, slagging off one of the greatest sportsmen in history. You go girls :rolleyes:

In other superamazing QB news -- meant to post this a few days ago -- Congrats to Peyton and Ashley on twin babies (boy and girl). Pressure's on for a second ring now dude. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

davyjose wrote: »
    I'm guessing Tom has his Mam's looks then... :pac:

Gotta laugh at all these psuedo macho dudes who've achieved zilch in their lives, slagging off one of the greatest sportsmen in history. You go girls :rolleyes:

In other superamazing QB news -- meant to post this a few days ago -- Congrats to Peyton and Ashley on twin babies (boy and girl). Pressure's on for a second ring now dude. ;)

agree with this ....Brady has earned his spurs at this stage ...so what if there is tears ....he stands in the pocket on sundays and the people who criticise wouldnt even stand on the same field as Ray Lewis

Ah people come on. I'm sure he's been asked to relive that day in plenty of interviews since he became successful. Does he break down in tears every time he is asked to relive it?

I have half an idea that it was for show. He is a 33 year old man, that has had plenty of time to dwell on a moment that happened 11 years ago, that in the end worked out very well for him. There have been countless sportmen worldwide that have been asked to relive worse moments, such as doing a cruciate ligament and presuming your career was over, and do so without theatrics. He should have the professionalism to do an interview at this stage without letting emotions get the better of him.

I know that at the moment it seems like a very touching moment and you feel for him, but thats simply because we never see it from sportsmen. Could you imagine if we seen that from every sportsman that was asked to relive something difficult? We would have Terry crying over the penalty in Moscow, Shefflin when he did his cruciate, Stephen Hendry over the breaking of his cue that basically screwed his glorious career. The likes of Richard Sadler dealt a career ending injury at a young age. It wouldn't be long before people would get tired of it. Maybe this is the type of stuff the American public plays up to? Anyway, I know it's basically pissing in the wind arguing with Pats fans on here but thats just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Ah people come on. I'm sure he's been asked to relive that day in plenty of interviews since he became successful. Does he break down in tears every time he is asked to relive it?

I have half an idea that it was for show. He is a 33 year old man, that has had plenty of time to dwell on a moment that happened 11 years ago, that in the end worked out very well for him. There have been countless sportmen worldwide that have been asked to relive worse moments, such as doing a cruciate ligament and presuming your career was over, and do so without theatrics. He should have the professionalism to do an interview at this stage without letting emotions get the better of him.

I know that at the moment it seems like a very touching moment and you feel for him, but thats simply because we never see it from sportsmen. Could you imagine if we seen that from every sportsman that was asked to relive something difficult? We would have Terry crying over the penalty in Moscow, Shefflin when he did his cruciate, Stephen Hendry over the breaking of his cue that basically screwed his glorious career. The likes of Richard Sadler dealt a career ending injury at a young age. It wouldn't be long before people would get tired of it. Maybe this is the type of stuff the American public plays up to? Anyway, I know it's basically pissing in the wind arguing with Pats fans on here but thats just my opinion.

Who gives a fook what he does in an interview and I say that about anyone. Who are we to criticise him anyway or anyone for that matter.

This bollocks that has become the social norm for men especially is pure and utter nonsense. Grown men can't have emotions especially athletes kind of dribble. The guy like any other pro athlete have worked their asses off to get where they are and if they want to cry like little girls or get emotional about it so be it. I for one wont judge him even if there is motives behind it.

As for comparing people why bother? Everyone is different. Remember Gazza crying? He got a lot of stick for it but look how many soccer players cry after getting knocked out of cups or losing crucial games. No one bats an eyelid to that anymore.

And what has a Pats fan got to do with anything? Davyjose is a Colts fan and he defended Brady. You bringing up the Pats thing is just stirring the pot really.

Humans and especially men aren't robots and if emotions sometime get the better of someone so be it. Different folks different strokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

The reference to Terry was to highlight the difference between someone crying on the pitch, ala gazza also, and crying in an interview. I can understand someone crying at the time when ardreiline is high. I have rarely if ever seen someone crying years later in an interview, especially when the incident actually worked out in their favour,.

Look, if it was Jimmy Clausen on crying about his draft day slide the majority of you would be taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Who gives a fook what he does in an interview and I say that about anyone. Who are we to criticise him anyway or anyone for that matter.

This bollocks that has become the social norm for men especially is pure and utter nonsense. Grown men can't have emotions especially athletes kind of dribble. The guy like any other pro athlete have worked their asses off to get where they are and if they want to cry like little girls or get emotional about it so be it. I for one wont judge him even if there is motives behind it.

As for comparing people why bother? Everyone is different. Remember Gazza crying? He got a lot of stick for it but look how many soccer players cry after getting knocked out of cups or losing crucial games. No one bats an eyelid to that anymore.

And what has a Pats fan got to do with anything? Davyjose is a Colts fan and he defended Brady. You bringing up the Pats thing is just stirring the pot really.

Humans and especially men aren't robots and if emotions sometime get the better of someone so be it. Different folks different strokes.

The crying was one of the things that endeared a nation to Gazza ...i personally never thought twice about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've watched this a few times.
    Colts up 31-26 with 1:49 on the clock in the 4th quarter

Manning runs a bootleg, not something you see every game!
    And slides right before the endzone.

First few times I watched it I wondered why he didn't dive for the endzone he would have made it.
    But then the commentator said it was unselfish as he got the 1st down and they didn't need the score to run out the game and also due to possible injury. Commentator called it smart

I'm not sure here. But if this were Vick or Tebow they would have charged for the end zone and not give a damn about the tackle from behind.

But who am I to question Peyton Manning. Video throws up a few questions I reckon.
    Colts got the win so that's all that matters in the end I suppose

He was better off not scoring, running down the clock to 0 there was more valuable than scoring.

Why score? If you score you go 13pts up on the Raiders and they have a minute & 1/2 to score 2 tds...if you dont score you can run the clock down to zero (Raiders have no timeouts) and game over.

Why give them a chance (slim) just so you can pad up the score?

Hazys wrote: »
    He was better off not scoring, running down the clock to 0 there was more valuable than scoring.

Why score? If you score you go 13pts up on the Raiders and they have a minute & 1/2 to score 2 tds...if you dont score you can run the clock down to zero (Raiders have no timeouts) and game over.

Why give them a chance (slim) just so you can pad up the score?

If that was the case why didn't he just fall once he had run more than 2 yards? Nah, he wanted to score but felt the man coming from behind so fell not to take the hit. Same difference in the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa1lY--7H-g&feature=related
    I'm not Jaguars fan but I love this lad!! He is one crazy mofo, seen this on the Bleacher report 30 craziest NFL mofo's!! :D

• Advertisement

I saw the Brady 6 last night, i was very impressed, one of my favourite NFL Films' productions. One of the amazing facts is that even tho Brady won a good majority of his games at Michigan and won the Orange Bowl...only one team phoned his coach inquiring about him, the Patriots. If the Patriots didnt pick him, i can only presume he would have went undrafted.

On the other end of the spectrum, a player with all the physical tools and talent and a No1 draft pick but has no heart, has just been fired by his life coach:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/14/life-coach-fires-jamarcus-russell/

Horrible to think JaMarcus doesnt have an ounce of ambition in his body, and it appears he is just giving up on life at 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

billo.d86 wrote: »

I'm not Jaguars fan but I love this lad!! He is one crazy mofo, seen this on the Bleacher report 30 craziest NFL mofo's!! :D

Fixed your link for you.;)

As we are all told time and time again sportsmen live on the edge of their emotions whether its a dancing after scoring a TD or effing into a camera after scoring a hat-trick or the tears for a low moment in your life. I think we can still all agree that talent and emotion is NOT mutually exclusive!

This is defo on here but its great!

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Fixed your link for you.;)
    Thanks man could not get it going. Some video.
    Did someone say JaMarcus Russel got fired by his life coach?
    As Raiders fan that guy is the biggest waste of not only money but space in the football world. He did nothing to command the wage he got, only Al Davis would have paid him. He set the Raiders back 2 maybe 3 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Did someone say JaMarcus Russel got fired by his life coach?

That's given me something to laugh about for the day :D

I'd say he set them back more than 3 years, they need a QB and Campbell is not the answer. He'd be great to help a rookie though, bring them along behind him for a year and ease him in, but until they find a genuine franchise quarterback they're going to be mediocre at best - and that's only if McFadden can repeat last year's performance. Actually after firing Cable, I could see them having a good chance at getting Luck next year :p

That's given me something to laugh about for the day :D

I'd say he set them back more than 3 years, they need a QB and Campbell is not the answer. He'd be great to help a rookie though, bring them along behind him for a year and ease him in, but until they find a genuine franchise quarterback they're going to be mediocre at best - and that's only if McFadden can repeat last year's performance. Actually after firing Cable, I could see them having a good chance at getting Luck next year :p

Ya Campbell is definately not the answer, but rumours of letting Asamuogha go would be crazy too. There's talk of Drafting Colin Kaepernick, but they have a of OL gaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

but rumours of letting Asamuogha go would be crazy too.
    Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha's contract voided and he will be allowed to become a free agent without the Oakland Raiders being able to use their franchise tag on him, Raiders senior executive John Herrera confirmed Sunday.

Asomugha's deal included a little-known clause that said his contract would void if he didn't achieve his not-likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010 -- and he didn't.

His contract also contained a stipulation that if he didn't achieve his incentives, the Raiders would agree not to designate him their franchise or transition player.

If this were any other team, the front office person who put that in the clause would be sacked
    Old news at this stage but fits in the weird and wacky category alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This is defo on here but its great!

You don't actually believe that's real do you? :)

• Advertisement

If this were any other team, the front office person who put that in the clause would be sacked
    Old news at this stage but fits in the weird and wacky category alright

I didnt know that was in his contract at all. That is ridiculous, but again fits the Raiders like a glove. Raiders havent had an impact corner since Charles Woodson, and he has been missed sorely, glad he finally got his Super Bowl ring though, he deserved it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement