Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Think I'm actually starting to crack now.

Noting to look forward to, no OTA's, no Training Camp, no Free Agency. Now the Premiership is done!!!

Something tells me its going to be a loooooooooooooong summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

TaosHum wrote: »
    Think I'm actually starting to crack now.

Noting to look forward to, no OTA's, no Training Camp, no Free Agency. Now the Premiership is done!!!

Something tells me its going to be a loooooooooooooong summer.

I feel ya, i've been productive at work recently since im no longer checking Profootballtalk.com every 5mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Anyone starting to crack ? Only so much football today podcasts I can take. I need football and not Americas game and the top twenty games of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Hazys wrote: »

That Kentucky race outfit is damn smooth though...
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Anyone starting to crack ? Only so much football today podcasts I can take. I need football and not Americas game and the top twenty games of last year.

I'm very meh about it. The whole NFL lockout business has deepened disinterest and disillusioned me. The Draft has resurrected it somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I've cracked. Completely at the back of my mind now, I'm getting really disillusioned and I don't expect there to be a season til 2012 now, nothing has indicated otherwise. Champions league final tonight and the stanley cup and nba finals will be wrapped up in the next fortnight. Long summer ahead indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Damn lockout :(

I'm trying to get into baseball but it's just not doing it for me

Setanta Ireland used to show American sports at 6am and I'd be up at that time

First American football I ever watched was Tennessee Volunteers vs Illinois and I was blown away by the atmosphere and the game though I realy had very little clue about the rules.
    Watched Cardinals and Steelers Superbowl later on and that was my first NFL game.

But Setanta also showed baseball and I watched American college stars vs Japanese college stars. It seems to be a big sport in Japan.
    Sorry to knock any sport but the most boring thing I've seen. I'll try with the baseball another while but it's not doing it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Really going to feel it now in the next few weeks with the Bulls having gone out in the playoffs :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,772 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its not that bad, ok there is no NFL which is my favourite game but I really, really like College ball too and I'd guess you will see a bunch of games move to Sunday while there is no NFL so it shouldn't be all that bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its not that bad, ok there is no NFL which is my favourite game but I really, really like College ball too and I'd guess you will see a bunch of games move to Sunday while there is no NFL so it shouldn't be all that bad.

Agree. It will be sad if the NFL is missing, but the NCAA will move center stage, and there are more than enough games to fill the weekend should they be telecast.

• Advertisement

The prospect of college ball is the only thing keeping me sane, I still have 3 more months to wait for that though.

However, the CFL starts in 2 weeks.

I've never watched CFL

I've a few friends in Toronto

So for no other reason then that, go Argonauts!
    Plus I've seen their stadium used in various films and a TV show

Good enough reason for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

NHL and NBA finals on this week and hopefully next. After that, don't know what will keep me sane :(

TaosHum wrote: »
    The prospect of college ball is the only thing keeping me sane, I still have 3 more months to wait for that though.

However, the CFL starts in 2 weeks.
    CFL is just awful imo. You get three plays to go ten yards which is just ludricous. There are no real routes run by receivers its just run fast and pull up or keep going. Ugh I would rather watch tag football I think. I admit I watched it for half a season but just couldn't get to like it.

I guess it will show you why some guys don't get drafted or make it in the NFL if you watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

CFL is just awful imo. You get three plays to go ten yards which is just ludricous. There are no real routes run by receivers its just run fast and pull up or keep going. Ugh I would rather watch tag football I think. I admit I watched it for half a season but just couldn't get to like it.

I guess it will show you why some guys don't get drafted or make it in the NFL if you watch it.

Have to agree with this. And it is about as tactical as a packet of tayto. If you are a Runningback forget about it, Hard hitting run stuffing Ray Lewis linebacker forget about it, The CFL aint for you.

The 15 yard endzones and the post at the front is just :eek: Glad the NFL went away from that back in the day.

CFL is truly a poor mans Football.

Oh its poor quality no doubt, but since Cameron Wake's exploits in Canada I've taken more of an interest. And because there is exactly zero happening with the NFL at the moment, think I might watch a game a week.

Willie McGinest has done well as an analyst on NFL Network this month

I wish they'd sack that clown Jamie Dukes and give a contract to Willie McGinest instead

mikemac wrote: »
    Willie McGinest has done well as an analyst on NFL Network this month

I wish they'd sack that clown Jamie Dukes and give a contract to Willie McGinest instead
    Yeah I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised. I thought of all the Patriots that retired over the last few years he was least likely to be good on tv but I think he could be the best of the bunch(just like he was on that D).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Just got an email from NFL.com about the 2011 fantasy season. Lets hope it happens :(

• Advertisement

Steve Wyche and Bucky Brooks have a new podcast

Maybe everyone knew, I only found it yesterday

Link to itunes
    http://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/the-cover-two-georgia-podcast/id192556508

It's pretty good, moves a quick pace and some good interviews and analysis. Gotta get your football fix somewhere
    Worth checking out

Better then the buddy buddy, never disagree or ask any tough questions Rich Eisen podcast
    Still love Rich though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Happy birthday Tedy Bruschi!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Has anyone else checked out Grantland. Its Bill Simmons new site. Lots of good articles. Although not many related to football with the lockout in progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Don't know if anyone else has seen this but ESPN from July will start showing MNF classic games. The ones that have been voted in so far include Brett Favre and that famous Raiders game and Earl Campbell and the Oilers- Dolphins game. Should be entertaining. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Class...series link at the ready ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone else has seen this but ESPN from July will start showing MNF classic games. The ones that have been voted in so far include Brett Favre and that famous Raiders game and Earl Campbell and the Oilers- Dolphins game. Should be entertaining. :)

Is it the same thing they showed last year?

I think it is. They could have come up with something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

End looking to be in sight with the l*ckout?

Please God let this be true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Is it the same thing they showed last year?

I think it is. They could have come up with something new.

They did but that was the top 10 MNF games since 2006.

Patriots and Ravens 2007 is a must see game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

mikemac wrote: »
    Patriots and Ravens 2007 is a must see game

A terrible season that for my Ravens. Had a brilliant chance to thwart Brady and co., lost to them and went on to give Miami their first win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement