Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I think that's pretty ****ty on behalf of the fans, Henne must feel the world of pressure on him. Whatever the decision the owners make should be taken by the fans and get on with it.

Have you seen what garbage Miami fans have been putting up with at the QB position since Marino retired?

Their frustrated and sick of it and I dont blame them. I dont think it should have been directed at Henne (coaching staff/front office/ ownership), but it sends a message none the less.

Sitting done and accepting mediocrity gets very tiring and frustrating after 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They had the mighty John Beck, going to tear up defenses in the NFC East this season :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

mikemac wrote: »
    They had the mighty John Beck, going to tear up defenses in the NFC East this season :cool:

Keep in mind, this is the same John Beck that was turned away from the Redskin's stadium during the lockout because security didn't recognise him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

TaosHum wrote: »
    Have you seen what garbage Miami fans have been putting up with at the QB position since Marino retired?

Their frustrated and sick of it and I dont blame them. I dont think it should have been directed at Henne (coaching staff/front office/ ownership), but it sends a message none the less.

Sitting done and accepting mediocrity gets very tiring and frustrating after 10 years.

Yeah, and abuse the player? What can he do? Force the head staff to recruit Orton. He's a lower rung of the business. How can Henne be blamed for the riff-raff since Marino? It shouldn't be pointed at Henne, there's far better methods of voicing their concerns - fans should have a modicum of intelligence to realise this.

Yeah, and abuse the player? What can he do? Force the head staff to recruit Orton. He's a lower rung of the business. How can Henne be blamed for the riff-raff since Marino? It shouldn't be pointed at Henne, there's far better methods of voicing their concerns - fans should have a modicum of intelligence to realise this.

Henne is the target because A) The QB is usually the face of the franchise B) After four years, this Front Office has not solved the problems at QB and C) The coaching staff gave up on Henne last year when they benched him in week 8 and yet Henne is still the starting QB coming into this season.

That is why the Henne was the target. As I said, I dont believe he should have been the target, but at least the message has been sent out that the locals in So. Fla are not happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Prince Amukamara , the Giants first round draft pick, is out indefinitely with a broken foot. That's his rookie season done for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Mikel Leshoure suffers an achilles injury. Out for season.

Frightful number of injuries lately, notably achilles ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Can't help but feel to say they could be as a result from the lockout. Remember last year with Revis holding out? Everyone said that while he was training it wasn't the same as in being in camp. Didn't take him long to do his hammy once the season began.

Going from very little training, to extremely high intensity sessions will certainly break a lot of players bodies.

• Advertisement

Poor guy. Had him pinned as a FF sleeper at RB, but like my last years tip as a sleeper in the same position - Ben Tate - that won't happen. I feel partly responsible :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

This shows how the Pats roll and why they signed Haynesworth. If this isn't a way to make Fat Al perform I dont know what is. The more I see this deal and the re-structered contract the more I believe we can get the best out of Al. And why you ask? Money. The more snaps he plays the more he gets paid:
    Albert Haynesworth took a big pay cut to join Patriots

New England’s trade for Albert Haynesworth seemed like a typical Patriots low-risk, high reward gambit. The move looks like an even lower risk following news of Haynesworth’s restructured contract.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports Haynesworth took a pay cut in base salary all the way from $5.4 million base salary to $1.5 million. That’s quite a haircut, but Haynesworth can make back all the money in incentives if he has a terrific season.

If Haynesworth plays 20% of the team’s snaps, he gets $1 million. He then gets an additional $590,000 once he gets over each of the following playing time thresholds: 45% of the team’s snaps, 50%, 55%, 60%, and 65%. He gets an additional $400,000 if he makes the Pro Bowl.

Haynesworth has a base salary of $6.7 million for 2012, so he’ll to play very well to avoid getting cut after 2011.

The Patriots are getting their proverbial cake and making sure Haynesworth isn’t eating it too. He will be highly motivated to stay on the field to earn his incentives, and the Patriots can cut him more easily at any time without a huge financial risk.

Oh and he actually looks in shape

a-haynesworth92.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

He looks in shape

*Points to a photo of a fat man drawing in a large breath*

:p

Should be interesting to see where his mind is at the start of the season. It's not like he needs the money anyway he got GURU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The NY Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon is hilarious, check out his tweets:
    1. Hanlon: “Seems we should ship the Lombardi trophy to 3-4 training camp sites tomorrow and let em flip to see who keeps it.”

2. From fan: “All teams need to rebuild at one point, I’m not going to panic until the season begin.”

Hanlon’s response: “Re-build my ass! I got your re-build.”

3. Fan: “The Giants are making barely any noise while the Eagles are ‘the dream team.”’

Hanlon: “A lot noisemakers end up in the ditch. . . . Typically we make our noise in Jan-February.”

(Definitely not December the last two years.)

4. Fan: “On paper they ARE worse. No matter who signs your checks.”

Hanlon: “We don’t play on paper. You know what you can do w/ that paper?”

5. Fan: “Can you say definitively the Giants are better than last year?”

Hanlon: “Can you say we’re worse, knucklehead?”

6. Fan: “Giants off-season can be summed up w/ one word: Debacle.”

Response: “Thanks Lombardi. Cause I know you know.”

7. Hanlon: “This is great. We usually get to play two regular season games before people tell us we aren’t worth a s—.”

8. Hanlon: “I can’t believe it. The sun is shining.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/11/giants-spokesman-rebuild-my-ass/

Mocking the Jets:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/01/giants-spokesman-stokes-jets-rivalry/

I expect to see this quite frequently next season :D

Vh5qY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    I expect to see this quite frequently next season :D

Vh5qY.jpg

Why? Do you think that Big Al will actually turn up for running plays? Where's the stats in that?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Why? Do you think that Big Al will actually turn up for running plays? Where's the stats in that?

Go back to 2008. Titans were the 6th best team in the league against the run, only gave up 93 yards per game. Or in 2007, where they were the 5th best against the run and only gave up 92 yards per game. Haynesworth was a key figure in both those years, going to the Pro Bowl each season.

You don't think Haynesworth + Wilfork in a 4-3 would be formidable against the run?

Having said that, it was of course just a joke picture, but once again your commitment to getting your panties in a twist over nothing comes to the fore and shines through. Well done.

Haynesworth will play if he want to get paid. Have you seen the restructered contract he is on. It goes up per snaps.

Here it is
    Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports Haynesworth took a pay cut in base salary all the way from $5.4 million base salary to $1.5 million. That’s quite a haircut, but Haynesworth can make back all the money in incentives if he has a terrific season.

If Haynesworth plays 20% of the team’s snaps, he gets $1 million. He then gets an additional $590,000 once he gets over each of the following playing time thresholds: 45% of the team’s snaps, 50%, 55%, 60%, and 65%. He gets an additional $400,000 if he makes the Pro Bowl.

So as you can see its in Haynesworth best interest to play as many snap as possible. And as TB said the two of those guys on a D-line is like running into a brick wall. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Go back to 2008. Titans were the 6th best team in the league against the run, only gave up 93 yards per game. Or in 2007, where they were the 5th best against the run and only gave up 92 yards per game. Haynesworth was a key figure in both those years, going to the Pro Bowl each season.

You don't think Haynesworth + Wilfork in a 4-3 would be formidable against the run?

Having said that, it was of course just a joke picture, but once again your commitment to getting your panties in a twist over nothing comes to the fore and shines through. Well done.

No panties twisted here at all. Comment was meant in jest, if Haynesworth turns up he'll be an amazing signing for the Pats. And he might since he'll prob want to be paid. Any D-line with Wilfork is going to be good against the run regardless of what body is in there with him. Of course the merest perceived slight against the Pats can only get one response... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

@NFLDraftBible
    NFL Draft Bible NFL executive "familiar with the Patriots ways" told the National Football Post he expects NE to cut "one or both" Haynesworth and Ochocinco

Could be BS and a news agency trying to be controversial and get themselves noticed.

I thought they were both looking good to make the team.
    Do the Pats fans think they will?

EDIT: ESPN too
    Ochocinco a possible cut?
    8:43
    AM ETChad Ochocinco | Patriots TopEmailCommentsWithin his "Sunday Blitz" column for National Football Post, a report by Dan Pompei concerning two high-profile acquisitions of the New England Patriots raised a few eyebrows around here.

"Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth might not be long for New England," Pompei reports. "One day before this story came out by my guy Mike Reiss, one NFL executive familiar with the Patriots ways told me he believes one or both of the big name acquisitions will be cut before the season starts. The front office man thinks coach Bill Belichick will use the controversial players to help control and send a message to his locker room."

So Belichick is testing both of them, and will not hesitate to pull the proverbial trigger should they not be able to handle the "Patriot Way?" Certainly makes the preseason in Foxborough that much more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

According to Jason LaConfora's twitter:

"Daunte Culpepper working out for the 49ers on Monday. Glad to see the veteran QB getting some looks. I'd take a shot on him"

Could anyone near some format of a TV guide tell me if there's a Classic MNF on ESPN tonight, and if so, which game? Muchos gracias.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Could anyone near some format of a TV guide tell me if there's a Classic MNF on ESPN tonight, and if so, which game? Muchos gracias.

They are showing Eagles @ Cowboys from 2008.

Of course the merest perceived slight against the Pats can only get one response... :(

You know this line right here p1sses me off every year. 3 of the predominant members on this forum are Pats fans. And we are 3 of the most outspoken fans. What did you honestly expect would happen when you made your post zest or not? This typical Pats fan thing is getting really old really fast. Here is my sweeping generalisation and bold statement towards the team you support. Eagles fans can never make up their minds and when they do they riot or chase a solid player out of town. Give it time and Vick will be on the wrong end of an Eagles fan.

If you dont want to hear our response to it don't post in the first place it is that simple.
    mikemac wrote: »
    Could be BS and a news agency trying to be controversial and get themselves noticed.

I thought they were both looking good to make the team.
    Do the Pats fans think they will?

EDIT: ESPN too

You know it wouldn't surpirse me if we did offload one of them. I do thing the story is BS though but I was never one to stick my head up BB arse and pretend he is the messiah and he knows best. If we do offload them and we lack something in either of those positions you wont get many fans saying Bill was wrong in the first place. But honestly I will be upset. In Bill we trust is also getting old for me. Especially over the last few seasons.

Now before any other Pats fan thinks im an ahole for saying it or doubts my love for the Pats this has nothing to do with his coaching ability and what he has done for us. I just think as a coach he has gotten many things wrong by his faithful will stand by him and defend his actions. No one is perfect but there is nothing worse than false faith.

You know this line right here p1sses me off every year. 3 of the predominant members on this forum are Pats fans. And we are 3 of the most outspoken fans. What did you honestly expect would happen when you made your post zest or not? This typical Pats fan thing is getting really old really fast. Here is my sweeping generalisation and bold statement towards the team you support. Eagles fans can never make up their minds and when they do they riot or chase a solid player out of town. Give it time and Vick will be on the wrong end of an Eagles fan.

If you dont want to hear our response to it don't post in the first place it is that simple.

I agree with you 100% on eagles fans. Never met fans as fickle. Tbh i've stated before and i'll state again that I don't want Vick as the qb for this team but thats the way it is so I guess i'll support him. Andy Reid has been hounded for a lot of his tenure despite doing a great job in general, doesn't mean he's perfect though. Same story with Bill except if someone criticises him there is a tendency of some pats fans to round up on whoever does it.

I have no issue with the Patriot man love from Pats fans in general but sometimes some perspective goes out the window. Like honestly with his awful behaviour in the recent past Big Al is a risk and sure as hell doesn't ensure awesome run stopping d-line. I was making a comment in jest about a player who didn't want to play NT cause it would hurt his stats... Haynesworth is a jerk (obv not Vick level) but still a complete jerk. And like I said Wilfork is awesome against the run on his own regardless.

Anyway it's far too early in the season to be getting into all this.

I agree with you 100% on eagles fans. Never met fans as fickle. Tbh i've stated before and i'll state again that I don't want Vick as the qb for this team but thats the way it is so I guess i'll support him. Andy Reid has been hounded for a lot of his tenure despite doing a great job in general, doesn't mean he's perfect though. Same story with Bill except if someone criticises him there is a tendency of some pats fans to round up on whoever does it.

I have no issue with the Patriot man love from Pats fans in general but sometimes some perspective goes out the window. Like honestly with his awful behaviour in the recent past Big Al is a risk and sure as hell doesn't ensure awesome run stopping d-line. I was making a comment in jest about a player who didn't want to play NT cause it would hurt his stats... Haynesworth is a jerk (obv not Vick level) but still a complete jerk. And like I said Wilfork is awesome against the run on his own regardless.

Anyway it's far too early in the season to be getting into all this.

I agree Haynesworth is nothing but a w*nkstain off the field but when he performs he is one of the best DT in the business. With regard the risk see my post above of the re-structured contract. The Pats have made it very low risk. Haynesworth doesn't play and the Pats right off a low amount of money. If Haynesworth was getting 6m guaranteed leaving him a position to fook us over I would say yes there is high risk but the Pats have been very smart and done an amazing job making it as low risk as possible.

But Al needs money and the only way he is going to get is to play football. Him and Wilfork are two of the best and biggest DT in the business and as I said before if they both play and perform that D-line will be one of the hardest to run on. Personally I see Haynesworth giving us a full season and many snaps so he gets his money. If he doesn't so be it. Its that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

You know it wouldn't surpirse me if we did offload one of them. I do thing the story is BS though but I was never one to stick my head up BB arse and pretend he is the messiah and he knows best. If we do offload them and we lack something in either of those positions you wont get many fans saying Bill was wrong in the first place. But honestly I will be upset. In Bill we trust is also getting old for me. Especially over the last few seasons.

I get what your saying and agree that thinking BB is a saint is stupid, but even if the pats do get rid one of them and are then short in that position it doesn't necessarily mean he was wrong.

Masked Man wrote: »
    I get what your saying and agree that thinking BB is a saint is stupid, but even if the pats do get rid one of them and are then short in that position it doesn't necessarily mean he was wrong.

You missed my point. If that position is the reason why we failed yet again in the post season to get the job done then yes it does mean he was wrong. It is that simple. Last Soupbowl we won was 2005 and to be honest with you we threw away our chances in 2007 because of the lack of a Defensive problem which still haunts us today i.e Jets game in the playoffs.

On another note. Jets fans think twice before mocking how gay Tom Brady looks:

mark-sanchez-02.jpg

At least Brady has an excuse in the fact he is an elite QB and a supermodel wife. What has Sanchez got? Oh right Mediocrity.

Wasn't NFL draft Bible the site that claimed Clay Matthews was tested positive for roids at the the combine?

Be very, very wary of what that site puts out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

You missed my point. If that position is the reason why we failed yet again in the post season to get the job done then yes it does mean he was wrong. It is that simple. Last Soupbowl we won was 2005 and to be honest with you we threw away our chances in 2007 because of the lack of a Defensive problem which still haunts us today i.e Jets game in the playoffs.

I don't think I missed your point, I'm just saying not to be results orientated. Just because a decision he makes doesn't pan out doesn't mean it wasn't the right decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement