Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

DDC1990 wrote: »
    4 TD's for the season...

Theres the Madden Curse.

Chicago's D has 7.

I'd call that a poor return for a guy as talented in the Red Zone as Calvin.

Have you not seen waht happens to him when the Lions get into the red zone. Double or triple coverage. A lot easier to throw to guys much more wide open than Calvin.

Anyway that TD number isn't that bad. Better than Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne & Andre Johnson & the same amount as Roddy White. Still some of the season to go too & with his last 3 TD's coming in the last 3 games, I'd expect that number to increase a bit more come the end of week 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I know, but he's got a quarter of the TD's that he got last year, and the Lions are struggling because his production isn't as big as it was.

Its not all on him, Stafford has been poor, and the the OLine has struggled at times, which all adds to Megatrons difficulties. Just think its rediculous to say that a guy who has 4 Td's the year after he got 16 isn't suffering from a mysterious, unexplainable ailment ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭nerd69

I know, but he's got a quarter of the TD's that he got last year, and the Lions are struggling because his production isn't as big as it was.

Its not all on him, Stafford has been poor, and the the OLine has struggled at times, which all adds to Megatrons difficulties. Just think its rediculous to say that a guy who has 4 Td's the year after he got 16 isn't suffering from a mysterious, unexplainable ailment ;) :P

he is suffering from an ailment, its called holy crap that guys awesome lets put our whole secondary on him and leave someone else open. he's still a beast

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

I'm thinking it would be impossible for him to replicate the amount of touchdowns he put up last year. Unrealistic expectations really.
    All of the NFL saw what he could do in the red zone last year, so obviously D coordinators are going to come up with ways to limit his effectivness in the end zone & have somewhat succeeded thus far. Add that to the difficulties you listed above & you have a logical unmysterious explanation reason for his dip in TD's;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Im just poking the bear (or Lion). I know Megatron is a beast, and the yards he's putting up are pretty awesome. Its really the unrealistic expectations that are the problem. He was double and triple teamed last year as well, but he was in such form that he was still winning those battles. It would be nearly imposssible to keep going at the rate that he was.

Is it really wrong of me to want there to actually be a Madden Curse though? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Don't know if you've seen this but Coughlin is one hell of a gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

OAOB wrote: »

Thanks for that OAOB.

That's really amazing stuff by coach Coughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Im just poking the bear (or Lion). I know Megatron is a beast, and the yards he's putting up are pretty awesome. Its really the unrealistic expectations that are the problem. He was double and triple teamed last year as well, but he was in such form that he was still winning those battles. It would be nearly imposssible to keep going at the rate that he was.

Is it really wrong of me to want there to actually be a Madden Curse though? :P

I agree, the huge expectations on him and Stafford after last year put a lot of pressure on them. Shame because I really love that combo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

OAOB wrote: »

Amazing stuff. I dunno why he gets so much stick as he does, he's tough but so was Lombardi and he has the same heart. Probably the coach i respect the most in the whole league. The speech he gave in the team meeting before the SB last year (it's on america's game) was from the heart, it was pretty simple but emotional stuff and it showed just how deep his fire for his team burns.

Picked this up on Orangemane:
    @NFL_RealUpdates
    Reports are out that the #Raiders released 2010 8th overall pick LB Rolando McClain.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
    An hour ago, Rolando McClain posted this on his Facebook wall: "Officially no longer an Oakland Raider!!"

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
    Then, Rolando McClain posted this: "Well technically I am. But I'm mentally done. Just waiting on my papers"

Kyle Burger ‏@kyle_burger
    Former Bama LB Rolando McClain no longer with OAK. He writes: I'm gonna weigh my options. Looking forward to playing for an actual 'team'.

Though:
    Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL

#Raiders have not waived MLB Rolando McClain. Yet. Waiver deadline for today passed, and he was not on the list.

He's not sticking around for long either way.

Wasn't he good last year though? Must have mailed it in totally under Allen. Then again, a lot of the Raiders players have this season.

New Orleans bound imo. High up on waivers, he'd be happy on a team that will contend again in a year and they'll take bad boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

ZtgjR.jpg

Keno 92 wrote: »
    ZtgjR.jpg

Could you imagine Rodgers throwing to Larry Fitz n Megatron. Thank god for Al Davis (rip)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RE: Megatron. To be fair to him, he's in with a shot of breaking the single season receiving record held by Jerry Rice. I know some people say it isn't as impressive due to a number of factors, one being the Lions having a 4-7 record, but if the Lions actually had a secondary they'd be doing much better. Nothing Johnson can do about that.

A fact a lot of people are missing out on is that he's been injured a lot during November and has barely practiced over the last few weeks but still played games through the pain barrier.

I've been reading and seeing a lot of stuff on Megatron from numerous places which is making out that he's having a Madden Curse type season and contributing very little, when in actual fact it's been the opposite.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Jay Glazer reporting that a chiefs player has been shot along with another person at the chiefs facility. Must be serious as he won't reveal player until the family has been informed.

EDIT : Apparently he killed his girlfriend and then himself.
    Strong rumors that it was linebacker Lavon Belcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/afcstandings.html

Percentage breakdown on final standings

Colts fans will happy to know they have an 83% chance of making the playoffs

As for this week, a Steelers loss and a Bengals win over San Diego seems to be the most likely playoff swop. Would put Bengals in the 6th seed

NFC here
    http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfcstandings.html

Yeah it's stats and you can do anything with stats but sort of interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

mikemac1 wrote: »
    http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/afcstandings.html

Percentage breakdown on final standings

Colts fans will happy to know they have an 83% chance of making the playoffs

As for this week, a Steelers loss and a Bengals win over San Diego seems to be the most likely playoff swop. Would put Bengals in the 6th seed

NFC here
    http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfcstandings.html

Yeah it's stats and you can do anything with stats but sort of interesting

Another handy website for looking at playoff calculations and permutations is Yahoo's playoff simulator.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario

Can work out exactly what a team needs to do in order to get into playoff's/clinch division/home field.

Andre Johnson after buying $20,000 worth of toys for kids in child protection services. Brilliant stuff:

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBg9aHR0cDovLzI0Lm1lZGlhLnR1bWJsci5jb20vdHVtYmxyX21laXl2MkZscUUxcmE5MG4ybzFfNTAwLmpwZxQCFgASAA&s=uYTVaU-CRmvWOj42uEnz8s1E2wOJ9yCTfOj5qJKcOmI

I just found this:

Scroll to 15:14

Yeah, that's Jim Harbaugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Ah Saved By The Bell...memories!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 DBBacker

Don't know if this has been posted before: SI Underdog Series.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/specials/underdogs/episode-1.html

On Youtube also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Jesus I'm starting to get seriously sick of NFL AM! At least 60% of their "stories" are about the Jets! They're a bleeding 5-7 team!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yes, but a QB selection 'drama' in NYC is gold for sports broadcasting in the states!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Ah yeah I know this is just for ratings and the Jets have a great/bad PR department depending on how you look at it!

Sanchez is the starter this week anyway....if anyone cares or if it actually matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

So Woody want's McElroy and the staff wants Sanchez. It's looking more and more likely Rex (and surely Tannenbaum's docket has already been punched?) will be job hunting come January.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Syferus wrote: »
    So Woody want's McElroy and the staff wants Sanchez. It's looking more and more likely Rex (and surely Tannenbaum's docket has already been punched?) will be job hunting come January.

And nobody wants Tebow. Why in jeebus did they give away a 3rd round pick for him?? :mad:

Still Joe Namath be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Jesus I'm starting to get seriously sick of NFL AM! At least 60% of their "stories" are about the Jets! They're a bleeding 5-7 team!

That show is a joke. I can't get over that it's 3am in LA when they get going. Ridiculous. Would it kill the NFL Network to have some sort of East Coast location?

3rd/4th down completion percentages:

Passing3rdDownreg(1).PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Unlucky Panthers

The 3-9 Panthers are 0-for-13 on coin tosses this season (0-for-2 in Week 11, including overtime flip). Since 1998, the Panthers are the first team to lose their first 13 coin tosses. The odds of losing 13 straight coin tosses are 1 in 8,192

No charge left

The Chargers, who visit the Steelers in Week 14, are 0-14 all-time at Pittsburgh. No team in NFL history has more road losses to an opponent without a single win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement