Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭SixtyTwo

Just noticed the Jets DE Coples's arm. He has a "Brand" from his frat in college. Omega Psi Phi is the fratertinity an all black one and apparently the Brand is common among them. Mad looking things.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnv5j36_xO-EjhgmhUM2_HEEsu0qybaOXahhqI0fcuU82J6cqC4g

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

SixtyTwo wrote: »
    Just noticed the Jets DE Coples's arm. He has a "Brand" from his frat in college. Omega Psi Phi is the fratertinity an all black one and apparently the Brand is common among them. Mad looking things.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnv5j36_xO-EjhgmhUM2_HEEsu0qybaOXahhqI0fcuU82J6cqC4g

Saw it and was wondering if it was that type of thing. Must have hurt like a mo-fo to get that done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

dIIvG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

What does the chart show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

DDC1990 wrote: »
    What does the chart show?

If you follow it around clockwise each team has beaten the team to the right of it. So it shows how close the league is I guess.

EDIT: I've found another one which seems to work too..
    686163793.png?key=19981943&Expires=1352741394&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=iQNVz~ZRbiWVjB1mQg--BlpLYFaDfaQhn8pAiuDONwzbToHvgftfxhGJMl9CDB66YmsbfN9klYUzHy0rorEd4bhOHlkUAPJFzf-vex8C-7aAI~S-tv3S8wbvlleEJNlOFS-W8cEGDHZSEZW1i7S8HKtoPXjKm78Yyw54TUWu4-w_

Sidney Rice tweeted about his td reception from Golden Tate

#Seahawks WR Sidney Rice on Golden Tate's TD toss: "His throwing motion was the worst. I thought we traded for Tebow for a second."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Norv Turner with a coors light ad moment i see :pac:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/11/11/nfl-chargers-norv-angry/1698135/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Not having a go at you Spiralism but the big deal being made out of that interview is a joke.
    Norv is always like that, and some of the questions he is asked would make anyone lose their cool. Not as if he was screaming and shouting.
    Be curious to see where he ends up. I think he would be brilliant with Sam Bradford.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Not having a go at you Spiralism but the big deal being made out of that interview is a joke.
    Norv is always like that, and some of the questions he is asked would make anyone lose their cool. Not as if he was screaming and shouting.
    Be curious to see where he ends up. I think he would be brilliant with Sam Bradford.

Philly as OC would be very interesting

• Advertisement

To be fair Schottenheimer* seems to be doing a good job with Bradford this year. How lucky is he to get that upgrade from Sanchez.

With a couple of decent picks on the O-Line and wideout they will have the ability to compete in the play-offs with Bradford.

Norv back to Dallas??

Anyone see the article on NFL.com from I think other head coaches, concerning most overrated head coaches in the league?

Rex Ryan was number one, number two was Mr.Belichick

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Anyone see the article on NFL.com from I think other head coaches, concerning most overrated head coaches in the league?
    Rex Ryan was number one, number two was Mr.Belichick

Are you thinking of the recent laughable and alleged players 'survey'? It was a sporting news survey of only 4 players each from only 27 teams (what happened to the other 5 teams?). Excluding practice squads, one 53 man roster per team X 32 teams = 1696 players. So the survey represents 6.3% of active roster players.

Only 16 players (14.8% of the survey group) said they thought Belichick was overrated, which represents 0.94% of total rostered players in the NFL. In the same survey 31% of players said the Patriots were the best franchise, followed by the Steelers at 19%.

So if overrated means......
    5 Superbowl appearances.
    3 Superbowl wins.
    5 Conference Championships.
    9 Divisional Championships.
    9 play off appearances in the last 11 seasons and is 16-6.
    3 times NFL Coach of The Year.
    Winner of The Coach of The NFL 2000s All-Decade Team.

Ya I suppose he's clearly overrated alright. Not including of course, his 2 Superbowl rings as Defensive Coordinator with the Giants. His defensive game plan for winning Super Bowl XXV is currently enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

At the end of the day, such and I use the word loosely - surveys are nothing more than an attempt at headline grabbing. In reality, it isn't even worth using as an ass wipe tbh. Actually......maybe it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Woah. Tell us how you really feel.

The survey's only flaw would be having only 27 of 32 teams represented but I think there's little doubt that Ryan and Bill rankings would hold true through the rest of the league. Surveys have plenty of value if taken with the appropriate amount of skepticism.

Ryan topped it for being a blow-hard, Bill for having an aloof personality to the outside world and the general perception that he's an "absolute genius", something bound to rub plenty of the players, and indeed coaches, in the league the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Are you thinking of the recent laughable and alleged players 'survey'? It was a sporting news survey of only 4 players each from only 27 teams (what happened to the other 5 teams?). Excluding practice squads, one 53 man roster per team X 32 teams = 1696 players. So the survey represents 6.3% of active roster players.

Only 16 players (14.8% of the survey group) said they thought Belichick was overrated, which represents 0.94% of total rostered players in the NFL. In the same survey 31% of players said the Patriots were the best franchise, followed by the Steelers at 19%.

So if overrated means......
    5 Superbowl appearances.
    3 Superbowl wins.
    5 Conference Championships.
    9 Divisional Championships.
    9 play off appearances in the last 11 seasons and is 16-6.
    3 times NFL Coach of The Year.
    Winner of The Coach of The NFL 2000s All-Decade Team.

Ya I suppose he's clearly overrated alright. Not including of course, his 2 Superbowl rings as Defensive Coordinator with the Giants. His defensive game plan for winning Super Bowl XXV is currently enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

At the end of the day, such and I use the word loosely - surveys are nothing more than an attempt at headline grabbing. In reality, it isn't even worth using as an ass wipe tbh. Actually......maybe it is.

So you did see it?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000094892/article/tim-tebow-terrible-new-york-jets-should-have-known-better

Oh dear me, anonymous Jets players criticizing Tebow. The organisation is going backwards fast.

Sadly it could be time for Rex to go.

Ditto Mike Tannenbaum (& probably Sanchez)

HigginsJ wrote: »
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000094892/article/tim-tebow-terrible-new-york-jets-should-have-known-better

Oh dear me, anonymous Jets players criticizing Tebow. The organisation is going backwards fast.

Sadly it could be time for Rex to go.

Ditto Mike Tannenbaum (& probably Sanchez)

i'm biased cause i love the guy but imo this whole thing has been a disgrace with Tebow. He's been left to rot on the bench behind one of the worst starters in the NFL and has been undermined at every corner, be it his coach, his teammates, his fellow players across the league, the media or the general NFL community. It's not right. What other player has ever been subject to this sort of treatment? Say what you want about his abilities as a passer or his beliefs but he does not deserve on his body of work in the game to be ridiculed and undermined by everyone including the guys supposed to have his back.

I mean, last year Fox and Elway were VERY sceptical on the whole idea and did pull the plug on it with Manning but we did roll with it, the players backed him to the hilt and we certainly weren't disappointed with the results. I fear he wont make it in the NFL simply because too many have bought into the bull**** and he wont ever get a real crack of the whip again. Tbh he made a mistake not going to Jacksonville..

spiralism wrote: »
    i'm biased cause i love the guy but imo this whole thing has been a disgrace with Tebow. He's been left to rot on the bench behind one of the worst starters in the NFL and has been undermined at every corner, be it his coach, his teammates, his fellow players across the league, the media or the general NFL community. It's not right. What other player has ever been subject to this sort of treatment? Say what you want about his abilities as a passer or his beliefs but he does not deserve on his body of work in the game to be ridiculed and undermined by everyone including the guys supposed to have his back.

I mean, last year Fox and Elway were VERY sceptical on the whole idea and did pull the plug on it with Manning but we did roll with it, the players backed him to the hilt and we certainly weren't disappointed with the results. I fear he wont make it in the NFL simply because too many have bought into the bull**** and he wont ever get a real crack of the whip again. Tbh he made a mistake not going to Jacksonville..

Oh Elway wanted him out of town as soon as possible. He had no interest in Tebow being the starter. Even before Manning came in they wouldn't commit to him as starter for the following season.

I agree that I can't see Tebow ever getting a shot to start in the league again (barring injury) If I were him I would want out of the Jets as soon as the season is over. No idea where he would end up however.

He could do worse than simply getting to a club where he would be clear back-up QB & there would be none of this wild-cat/punt protector rubbish. Somewhere like the Patriots or Steelers for a few seasons would do him no harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Jags would start him

I'm positive Ryan didn't want him.
    It also comes down to this guy getting so much attention and money with so little talent compared other nfl players.

Good discussion with skip bayless and Stephen A Smith about it and also black community not liking him getting a chance because he an athlete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

So you did see it?

Nah, I was just guessing and making all that stuff up.

Oh Elway wanted him out of town as soon as possible. He had no interest in Tebow being the starter. Even before Manning came in they wouldn't commit to him as starter for the following season.

I agree that I can't see Tebow ever getting a shot to start in the league again (barring injury) If I were him I would want out of the Jets as soon as the season is over. No idea where he would end up however.

He could do worse than simply getting to a club where he would be clear back-up QB & there would be none of this wild-cat/punt protector rubbish. Somewhere like the Patriots or Steelers for a few seasons would do him no harm at all.

Elway didnt want him, true. He wanted a prototypical pocket QB and hit the jackpot when Manning hit the market. We were also courting Luck early that season when we were 1-4. In fairness though, he never undermined him, nor did Fox, we adapted the playbooks to suit him and had his back until he went, we just would not openly commit.

It also comes down to this guy getting so much attention and money with so little talent compared other nfl players.

Really?

He had some pretty sensational moments last season & lets not forget he had an excellent performance against the Steelers in the play-offs going over 300 yards passing.

He may not be what you want in your QB but to say he has so little talent is pretty ridiculous IMO.

Elway didnt want him, true. He wanted a prototypical pocket QB and hit the jackpot when Manning hit the market. We were also courting Luck early that season when we were 1-4. In fairness though, he never undermined him, nor did Fox, we adapted the playbooks to suit him and had his back until he went, we just would not openly commit.

Yea Fox does get credit for adapting the play-book to fit Tebow.

I still have the Broncos - Jets game on my Sky Box. Obviously I skip through to 5.54 remaining. Brilliant stuff.

Yea Fox does get credit for adapting the play-book to fit Tebow.

I still have the Broncos - Jets game on my Sky Box. Obviously I skip through to 5.54 remaining. Brilliant stuff.

Jets wasn't his best one by any means imo, the Dolphins comeback was spectacular. 15-0 down with 3 mins to go? No bother. Bears too, they had no Cutler or Forte but were 10-0 up with that defence and 2 mins on the clock and we win anyways. Magical times.

Fox and his staff (McCoy has been there most of the way) deserve great credit for being so adaptable, he's ran an option read style offence with Tebow, a run-heavy game management one in Carolina and now is running the classic Peyton offence as seen in Indy - no mean feat as it was so complex. Impressive to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'm positive Ryan didn't want him.

Good discussion with skip bayless and Stephen A Smith about it and also black community not liking him getting a chance because he an athlete

You could listen to almost any episode in the past two years between those two and get a near identical 'debate' about Tebow. It's really down to a carnival act at this point. Stephen A. isn't afraid to play the race card for the sake of sensationalism either, you've got to fill the two hours somehow, right?

I also feel of all the places to insert race this has little validity. If anything teams would be far more willing to accept black 'gadget' players (which is what Tebow is being pigeon-holed as in too many peoples' eyes, including Jets' management) because they're perceived to be better athletes. The likes of Brad Smith, Joe Webb and Armanti Ewards completely disproving his premise. Right now he's probably getting less chances than most of those players.

If we're talking about 'getting a chance' at being a starter from public support it's because Tebow is a superstar in the league. He did amazing things in college, remember, and last season put a heavy dent in the idea he couldn't win games in the pros.

Being white is pretty far down the list, honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Don't worry. The reason he won't make it is because he's a terrible QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

In fairness to Tebow at least he's not talking sh1te about his teammates in the media! He may not be a great QB but he's doing what he's asked to for the team to the best of his ability!

The reason the jets are 3-6 is most certainly not Tebow! It's Sanchez and the rest of the Jets players and coaching staff! Maybe some of them should have a good look at themselves before commenting on Tebow! Though I suppose if their constantly being asked their opinion on him they're going to give it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Interesting video and sound of Manning during game time with the Broncos. When you think about, it's pretty crazy to see how much respect he commands when he's been in Denver only a few months.
    It's also some contrast to the recent fortunes of last year's Bronco quarterback...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

taidghbaby wrote: »
    In fairness to Tebow at least he's not talking sh1te about his teammates in the media! He may not be a great QB but he's doing what he's asked to for the team to the best of his ability!

The reason the jets are 3-6 is most certainly not Tebow! It's Sanchez and the rest of the Jets players and coaching staff! Maybe some of them should have a good look at themselves before commenting on Tebow! Though I suppose if their constantly being asked their opinion on him they're going to give it!!

he's not good enough to rock the boat and anything he's says will be poured over by the media, so he's smart enough to shut up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement