Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

When you think about, it's pretty crazy to see how much respect he commands when he's been in Denver only a few months.

I don't think it's crazy at all, Peyton Manning would command respect no matter who he played for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Maybe crazy wasn't the right word, I meant it more along the lines of it's fascinating how he can just slot into a team so quickly and get everyone around to his way of thinking and playing. It could be just me though, I only got into NFL about a year or so ago, so I never actually saw him play with the Colts. It's very rare to see someone that lives up to all the hype and arguably surpasses it.

Maybe crazy wasn't the right word, I meant it more along the lines of it's fascinating how he can just slot into a team so quickly and get everyone around to his way of thinking and playing. It could be just me though, I only got into NFL about a year or so ago, so I never actually saw him play with the Colts. It's very rare to see someone that lives up to all the hype and arguably surpasses it.

No it's not just just you, Manning is a QB legend. As a Pats fan, its been a privilege watching him and Brady play against each other down the years. You definitely missed some great stuff in those Pats Vs Colts games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Don't worry. The reason he won't make it is because he's a terrible QB.

Didnt stop Mark Sanchez and Matt Cassel starting for 3 years though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

he's not good enough to rock the boat and anything he's says will be poured over by the media, so he's smart enough to shut up!

Most of the jets team would do well to take that advice, listening to a $hite team with $hite players taking $hite about a guy who's barely played a full quarter all season is a joke

• Advertisement

Most of the jets team would do well to take that advice, listening to a $hite team with $hite players taking $hite about a guy who's barely played a full quarter all season is a joke

It wouldn't be like the Jets to just put their heads down and shut the **** up, even when they're ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

No it's not just just you, Manning is a QB legend. As a Pats fan, its been a privilege watching him and Brady play against each other down the years. You definitely missed some great stuff in those Pats Vs Colts games.
    We gave yas a season off last year with painter....normal service resumes this Sunday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I think it's time for the Time Tebow Thread to be reborn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The Jets are the biggest mess in the NFL. No talent and a toxic locker room.

The owner has to clean house, roster and coaches included this off season and probably sooner...but the owner is part of the problem.

I've hated Rex Ryan's classless and unprofessional attitude from the start. All this talking sh1t and being highly insulting to every opponent they play, is really kicking their ass now as they are not even a competitive team anymore and they are taking it out on themselves. Ryan has completely lost control of the locker room. A lot players who have left recently have taken the chance to expose the sh1t show that is the Jets locker room. LT takes a swipe anytime he can. Hunter recently said how relieved he is to have left. Stanton telling all that he was promised his chance to start if Sanchez struggled.

In the first two years of Ryan's leadership they stocked up on bad contracts and cheap troubled players for a Superbowl or bust run, now the roster is screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Hazys wrote: »
    The Jets are the biggest mess in the NFL. No talent and a toxic locker room.

The owner has to clean house, roster and coaches included this off season and probably sooner...but the owner is part of the problem.

I've hated Rex Ryan's classless and unprofessional attitude from the start. All this talking sh1t and being highly insulting to every opponent they play, is really kicking their ass now as they are not even a competitive team anymore and they are taking it out on themselves. Ryan has completely lost control of the locker room. A lot players who have left recently have taken the chance to expose the sh1t show that is the Jets locker room. LT takes a swipe anytime he can. Hunter recently said how relieved he is to have left. Stanton telling all that he was promised his chance to start if Sanchez struggled.

In the first two years of Ryan's leadership they stocked up on bad contracts and cheap troubled players for a Superbowl or bust run, now the roster is screwed.

And its such a pity cause they have a lovely jersey that I'd like to buy but I cant be seen representing them idiots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He needs the rest anyway he's been like a crash test dummie management should play a more covservative game with foles so hopefully he won't get hit as much

No surprise after his concussion in the last game. Young Foles did a good job stepping in, O line protection wasn't too for him bad either. He's a talented kid and if he can get the protection I think he'll do well. Vicks stands at 6ft and 210 pounds, Foles is 6ft 6 and nearly 250 pounds. So he's a big guy who shouldn't get knocked about as much as Vicks has.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

I hope Kerrigan punishes him.
    I hate eagles fans.

I hope Kerrigan punishes him.
    I hate eagles fans.
    Right back at ya buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting read here about how coaches are now more conservative than ever when it comes to going for it on 4th down. Too long to copy and paste but here's the link:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/nfl-coaches-are-more-gutless-than-ever-fourth-down/19370/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000095975/article/mike-ditka-suffers-very-minor-stroke-says-hes-ok

How can you have a minor stroke ? I'm glad he's okay but a stroke isn't a minor thing just like this crap of a mild concussion doesn't sound right.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    How can you have a minor stroke ? I'm glad he's okay but a stroke isn't a minor thing just like this crap of a mild concussion doesn't sound right.

A TIA (transient ischemic attack) is what we in the business often call a 'minor stroke'. This is not to be interpreted to literally mean it's a minor issue. I won't bore you with the medical grading scale used to measure stroke type/severity. But a TIA is often referred to as a mini stroke.

It is treated as a very important precursor to a more serious stroke. So it's a warning and if you take the necessary steps to amend your lifestyle, then you can significantly reduce the risk of a more serious stroke later on.

No doubt Ditka has been educated about all this by the medical staff. And I can pretty much assure you, that both Mike and the medical staff aren't treating this event as a minor issue.

http://www.blogandtackle.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2012NFLRuleBook.pdf

Might be of interest to some people. It's the 2012 NFL rule book with all changes from the off season in it. I find it interesting as a reference.

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

The CBA which was signed last season. It might interest some people here.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Draft Lottery

Anyone think this should be brought in, it is currently used in the NBA.
    For example in the NFL the teams that don't make the playoffs are put in a lottery and picks for 1-20 are drawn.
    Then playoff teams would stay in the system used now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Nothing wrong with the way the draft is imo. Only 16 games in the season which means players/coaches try their best in order to keep their place on the team/job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

+1

And it's not like the NBA is a vision of operational excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Im not saying it was just a system they use.
    I know its to help stuggling teams but there is a bunch of teams that are constantly in the top 10.

Also for the example of the Colts last year and Chargers and Eagles this year.

Caldwell knew he was getting the sack, and the Colts wanted the #1 pick.
    Norv and Reid know they are going to get the sack so what is there to play for??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Im not saying it was just a system they use.
    I know its to help stuggling teams but there is a bunch of teams that are constantly in the top 10.

Also for the example of the Colts last year and Chargers and Eagles this year.

Caldwell knew he was getting the sack, and the Colts wanted the #1 pick.
    Norv and Reid know they are going to get the sack so what is there to play for??

The Colts won 2 of their last 3. I don't think any team in the NFL goes out with the intention to lose. Look at the Jags yesterday, people would have suggested they had nothing to play for.

Draft Lottery

For example in the NFL the teams that don't make the playoffs are put in a lottery and picks for 1-20 are drawn.

I'm convinced that system is a rig. Often terrible teams lose out on the number 1 pick when clearly deserved...look at Chicago pulling out Rose with the 8th worst record... NBA is a big team joke league anyways, **** all parity. You dont support 1 of the Lakers, Heat, Spurs, OKC, Celtics, Bulls or maybe Dallas and the Knicks, you're wasting your time...and that's coming from a Nuggets fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Why would any player go out and want to throw the next 6-7 games? Their coaches heads might be on the block but if they have shocking performances for the next few games in an attempt to get a higher draft pick knowing full well a new coach could drop them in a heartbeat or a highly rated draft pick could take their spot.

Most of the players love playing football I'd assume and anyone who truly loves a sport they play are going to go out with the intention of loosing. Even a match that has no meaning whatsoever can be a highly contested game simply because the players want to play (Texans/Jags yesterday, Henne gets his shot to shine and he does everything he can to try to win that starters spot and the game)- add a rivalry game into contention and as little meaning as a game may have in the grander scheme of things to the players involved it may mean a whole lot. Even if they just want to try to play well to get a nice contract extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

spiralism wrote: »
    look at Chicago pulling out Rose with the 8th worst record

I thought that was brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Draft Lottery

Nah the lottery is a bad thing if you ask me. It can logically (Very rare though) allow the team who finished just outside the players to have the number one pick which is just asking for trouble. The commotion that arose when the Hornets (league run team) won the number one pick was huge and caused all sorts of fixing allegations.

NBA Rant over :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement