Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Exactly like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Oh my god that was tragic :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fans who account one third of the votes want to send Michael Oher to the probowl :confused:

Do these people watch games?

Must be the clearest example of name recognition getting votes every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Fans who account one third of the votes want to send Michael Oher to the probowl :confused:

Jeff Saturday has been a liability this year and has now been benched by the Packers and yet he's still #1 out of all centers.

The Pro Bowl should just be scrapped. A complete waste of time and money.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

David Ackers leads the fan vote for kickers tooo, crazy to say the least,

Pro Bowl is a waste of time anyway as far as the actual gae is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,820 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Here's the way the #1 voting went...

Quarterback
    1. Peyton Manning

Running back
    1. Peyton Manning

Tight end
    1. Peyton Manning
    2. Peyton Manning

Wide receiver
    1. Peyton Manning

Offensive tackle
    1. Peyton Manning

Offensive guard
    1. Peyton Manning

Cornerback
    1. Peyton Manning

Defensive end
    1. Peyton Manning
    2. Peyton Manning

Defensive tackle
    1. Peyton Manning

Inside linebacker
    1. Peyton Manning

Kicker
    1. Peyton Manning

Punter
    1. Peyton Manning

Special teams
    1. Peyton Manning

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

A move towards a set of skills-based competitions ala NBA All-Star weekend should be looked at.

Who wouldn't like to see something like Andre Johnson and Megatron competing for most spectacular catch or Tom Brady and Peyton Manning trying to complete the most passes in a given time-limit? If you make it fun for the players it'll be fun for the fans too.

Things like that sound a lot more worthwhile than the Pro Bowl game.

Ravens punter Sam Koch gets some love

In time I guess Rich Eisen will get his campaign going for other teams.
    Maybe some other teams have done this already?

233587.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

Ravens punter Sam Koch gets some love

In time I guess Rich Eisen will get his campaign going for other teams.
    Maybe some other teams have done this already?

233587.jpg

I hate rich eisen so much! Well his podcast anyway. He just tries to please everyone its annoying. Like the t though.

The podcast can be very lovey dovey alright

But there is the odd excellent one

He interviewed Brian Dawkins after he retired for example. Good podcast if you search for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

The Pro-Bowl will continue to be a joke until the vote is taken away from the fans. I remember last year on another forum there was an effort to try get Marc Columbo into the Pro-Bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Syferus wrote: »
    A move towards a set of skills-based competitions ala NBA All-Star weekend should be looked at.

Who wouldn't like to see something like Andre Johnson and Megatron competing for most spectacular catch or Tom Brady and Peyton Manning trying to complete the most passes in a given time-limit? If you make it fun for the players it'll be fun for the fans too.

Things like that sound a lot more worthwhile than the Pro Bowl game.
    Brady does his best to avoud the Pro Bowl every year, something like that would only make him try harder to miss it!

They used to do a skills competition but the players never really gave it it's all and people weren't interested!

Even with the NBA the crowd only fill the arena for the 3 point contest as the warm up to the Slam Dunk contest, the Skills and Shooting Stars comps a largely ignored at the arena and on tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

kmart6 wrote: »
    Brady does his best to avoud the Pro Bowl every year, something like that would only make him try harder to miss it!

They used to do a skills competition but the players never really gave it it's all and people weren't interested!

Even with the NBA the crowd only fill the arena for the 3 point contest as the warm up to the Slam Dunk contest, the Skills and Shooting Stars comps a largely ignored at the arena and on tv!

Which is why you need to get the players on board. I don't think it should be held in an NFL-sized stadium anyways, but ot's a damn sight more worthwhile than a game even the players sleepwalk through.
    I'd say if you got kit manufacturers involved with sweetheart deals a lot of those players will suddenly become a lot more interested in the idea of skills contests.

Well since Nike is the official supplier to the NFL it could only be them, and there would be no real added benefit for them to throw more money at something that has zero interest!! Guy's who have contracts with Adidas,Reebok, UA etc wouldn't go for it as it would create a conflict, just look at what RG3 has been at so far to since turning pro!

Don't think there's a real way to showcase it the way the NBA can with the Slam Dunk, the guys at the Pro Bowl only care for the 4th quarter to decide what share of the pot they get, and for a lot of the guys who are there year in year out the difference between $25,000 and $50,000 isn't a huge amount!

Good example here of why guys wouldn't want to go full speed at the end of the season and risk serious injury and threaten their career, from the article:
    Creating a menu for the skills competition would be tricky given the ramifications of an injury. In 1999, for example, New England Patriots running back Robert Edwards suffered a career-altering knee injury during a flag football game on a beach in Hawaii. He didn't play again until 2002. Players have too much money at stake in their careers to make a significant commitment to competing outside of the so-called lines. Likewise, the NFL wouldn't want to risk the futures of their most marketable players.

Could you imagine the ramifications if AP was to do his knee again, or someone like Watt, just doesn't seem worth the risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tebow ''virtually certain'' to be playing for the Jags next year:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/22/report-tim-tebow-playing-next-year-for-jaguars-a-virtual-certainty/

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Have you seen the video of this Norwegian kicker and his unreal skills. Based on this video he was offered a trial at the circus/Jets

The best part is kicking from the sidelines at 2:10

If the NFL doesn't work out there is a spot open on the Tipperary football team!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

To me the most impressive was the punting one and place kicking the other ball off it. Norweigan so likes the cold?? Pack sign his ass up.

Today was fantasy Superbowl for many and Arian Foster got dog abuse over twitter.
    He left the game with an irregular heartbeat, what were people expecting?

Browns got beaten by the Broncos today, no shame in that. Denver are probably the best team in the AFC

Eventually one reacts
    @JoshCribbs16: I see all the negativity on twitter after I gave my life to this ****. So 2 all u who are against me **** all y'all! I'm still gonna do me!”

Bit of a pointless post from me about twitter but it's rare enough you see a player say what they feel

It's deleted now

I won mine, my big names showed up and my defence delivered over 50 points, well happy!

But people seriously need to calm down over FF, It's for fun, I doubt the players are doing bad just to screw you no matter how much it seems it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The best part is kicking from the sidelines at 2:10

If the NFL doesn't work out there is a spot open on the Tipperary football team!

Forget Tipp, sign him up as backup to Sexton :p

Arawn wrote: »
    I won mine, my big names showed up and my defence delivered over 50 points, well happy!

But people seriously need to calm down over FF, It's for fun, I doubt the players are doing bad just to screw you no matter how much it seems it
    No offense dude, but it's not just for fun, I lost out on $800 tonight cause I lost the final, and that was a league where it was only $100 each and the weekly winner got $25! I know people in similar size leagues where it was $500 each! Crazy money, but when it all comes down to say one player you can see how people can get frustrated, that said it doesn't justify abusing any players about it!

kmart6 wrote: »
    No offense dude, but it's not just for fun, I lost out on $800 tonight cause I lost the final, and that was a league where it was only $100 each and the weekly winner got $25! I know people in similar size leagues where it was $500 each! Crazy money, but when it all comes down to say one player you can see how people can get frustrated, that said it doesn't justify abusing any players about it!

to be fair you really only lost 100 bucks, still a bit off but if yer players got you there you can't bitch too hard that they let you down once, then again maybe im just in a good mood cos I won and have a ton of picks come the next draft

Yeah true, but it's the potential win that will always stand out!

Ah I know I'll be grand tomorrow about it just pissed that really only for Ryan and White last night I coulda had a chance! Not pissed at any players!

I was feeling the same as you yesterday but my defence came up big with 3 players with 12 or more points :D Plus Ar!

Ya Bollox ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭theRB

What are peoples opinions of Seattle? They're the most 'complete' team in the nfl imo and after watching them beating the 49ers, if Wilson can keep his head I don't see why they can't go all the way.

theRB wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions of Seattle? They're the most 'complete' team in the nfl imo and after watching them beating the 49ers, if Wilson can keep his head I don't see why they can't go all the way.

They are playing pretty impressively, they'll come close but I don't think they'll make it to the SB. No reason behind that just a feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I put up 132 points in my fantasy superbowl and have lost. Opponent had Rodgers, Seattle D and Reggie Bush to name a few. When your luck's not in.....:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Arawn wrote: »
    They are playing pretty impressively, they'll come close but I don't think they'll make it to the SB. No reason behind that just a feeling

2nd best team in the NFC behind Green Bay IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement