Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Paully D wrote: »
    I thought that was brilliant :D

Course it was! Hardly a bit fair though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
    Ed Reed received his 3rd violation of the "rules protecting defenseless players" after his hit last night on #Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders.

Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
    Reed suspended 1 game w/o pay. Ray Anderson: “We cannot tolerate repeated violations of rules, especially rules related to player safety."

Ed Reed is playing hurt, he's barely able to tackle!

How do you suspend a player who cannot tackle :confused:

3rd violation they say though they are using a tackle from last season

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The NFL can **** right off here. A tackle from 2010 included as the reasoning, if you're going to make an example of someone at least have the backup, 3 incidents in 3 years doesn't do it for me.

Ryan Clark must have had at least 3-5 in the last 2 years so where is his suspension? He's surely not the only one either so where is the consistency?

A surprising decision IMO. Costly for Reed too as he'll lose out on over $400,000. I'm sure he'll appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Hi all,

Don't know if this is the right thread, but does anyone know good pubs to watch the football in Belfast, specifically for thanksgiving day? Won't make it back to the woolshed this year but want to get out for some turkey, beers and the games.

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Paully D wrote: »
    The NFL can **** right off here. A tackle from 2010 included as the reasoning, if you're going to make an example of someone at least have the backup, 3 incidents in 3 years doesn't do it for me.

Ryan Clark must have had at least 3-5 in the last 2 years so where is his suspension? He's surely not the only one either so where is the consistency?

A surprising decision IMO. Costly for Reed too as he'll lose out on over $400,000. I'm sure he'll appeal.

He is appealing! Also seen a tweet from Ryan Clarke I think it was calling it harsh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

darragh16 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Don't know if this is the right thread, but does anyone know good pubs to watch the football in Belfast, specifically for thanksgiving day? Won't make it back to the woolshed this year but want to get out for some turkey, beers and the games.

Cheers!!

Wouldn't know myself, but why don't you try the Belfast City forum link below. You might have better luck there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=477

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is there any good NFL or NCAA android apps? Like for news and blogs and stuff. Not particularly fond of the official NFL one. Any recomendations?

bump

Ed Reed won his appeal

No suspension, 50k fine

Quite a difference from the 400k-500k he stood to lose from missing a week's game cheque

Now onwards to San Diego to pick off Rivers :cool:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    bump

Ed Reed won his appeal

No suspension, 50k fine

Quite a difference from the 400k-500k he stood to lose from missing a week's game cheque

Now onwards to San Diego to pick off Rivers :cool:

philip-rivers-is-ANGRY.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Not sure whether this was posted already but there was quite a good article on grantland last week about behind the scenes at nfl redzone. It was an interesting look at the whole thing and how it works.

Its wayyy too long to quote but here's the link :)Rembert article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

A Q that popped into my head after seeing a 3rd and 25 or something recently, what's the longest yardage been given (penalties etc) to achieve a 1st down ??
    ie. 1st & 35, or 3rd & 47 etc etc :confused:
    /go on, hunour me :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

A Q that popped into my head after seeing a 3rd and 25 or something recently, what's the longest yardage been given (penalties etc) to achieve a 1st down ??

what was Tebows that time he was on third down and was running backwards against the Patriots last season?

edit: he was on 4th and 17 and was sacked for 29 yards on the play, so it was a net result of 46 yards

bruschi wrote: »
    what was Tebows that time he was on third down and was running backwards against the Patriots last season?

edit: he was on 4th and 17 and was sacked for 29 yards on the play, so it was a net result of 46 yards

Yes I remember alright :rolleyes:
    ....but I guess that doesn't count as it record would show 4th & 17, and not 5th & 1,000,000 !!

Some quick goooogling (note: data could be invalid!) I found 3rd & 37, and it was converted by the Broncos.
    Outside of the NFL I found 3rd & 77 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Pro Football Reference has a play-finder where you can search for things like this. Longest in the last 12 years (which is how far their database goes back), happened this season. Replacement referees were involved!

Bengals @ Redskins. Redskins down 38-31, at the Bengal's 19, 0:29 left in the 4th quarter.
    A potential game-tying drive went from Washington's 2 all the way to Cincinnati's 19 in the final two minutes.

Then it got weird. Griffin was sacked for a 15-yard loss. Then he spiked the ball with 7 seconds left. Then tight end Fred Davis was called for a false start. Then coach Marvin Lewis and the Bengals, anticipating a 10-second runoff, thought the game was over and walked onto the field en masse. Then an official called an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on a livid Redskins sideline.

The officials -- replacement refs while the regulars are locked out in a labor dispute with the league -- marked off a total of 25 yards for the two penalties, instead of 20.

All of which meant the game ended with Griffin's long incompletion on a third-and-50 from Washington's 41.

from ESPN's game recap.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Pro Football Reference has a play-finder where you can search for things like this. Longest in the last 12 years (which is how far their database goes back), happened this season. Replacement referees were involved!

Bengals @ Redskins. Redskins down 38-31, at the Bengal's 19, 0:29 left in the 4th quarter.
    edit: sorry I forgot about the refs 5 yard mistake !

from ESPN's game recap.

Actually looking at the highlights it says : 3rd & 45
    edit: sorry I forgot about the refs 5 yard mistake !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Anyone else notice the similarities between Green Ellis and Cam Newton??
    I think they look like brothers

The Browns decided to cancel a game-day promotion where they gave fans white flags to wave Sunday against the Steelers.

This is the statement from the Browns:
    “After further and careful consideration, we felt it was in the best interests of everyone involved that we not have a giveaway item at tomorrow’s game. It is something that was intended to be fun for our fans and that they could rally around, and we regret that some didn’t perceive it that way. We want to thank all of our fans for their tremendous support and we look forward to seeing them out in force at the stadium tomorrow.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/59719/browns-wave-off-white-flag-promotion

How on earth did they think waving white flags was a way to get your fans passionate :confused:

Ah Cleveland, such a losers mentality :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

How anyone could think that waving the white flag of surrender idea is a good idea, is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Has any other company/orgnaisation/whatever managed to butcher their website as badly as the NFL have done? Their player stats area is terrible and now it seems you can't sort the stats either.

Adam Schefter:

Seattle CBs Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner facing 4-game suspensions for violating PED policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Has any other company/orgnaisation/whatever managed to butcher their website as badly as the NFL have done? Their player stats area is terrible and now it seems you can't sort the stats either.

i've noticed this too, very poor. Cant go into the stats section for players which shows leaderboards unless you type in the URL and you can't sort the stats, true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Reminds me of that Andy Reid video.;)

But in all seriousness that's dangerous having mismatches like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

That was pretty nasty. Dropped the pads and all to run over the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

HigginsJ wrote: »
    That was pretty nasty. Dropped the pads and all to run over the kid.

And what else was he supposed to do? It's absolutely no different to a Jimmy Graham getting a dump-off pass and decking a blitzing corner-back.

It's the coaches' responsibility to not put a small player in that position, not the player with the ball's to protect them. The offense exploited a mis-match, the very thing every single offense in the NFL covets and actively searches for on almost every single snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Syferus wrote: »
    It's absolutely no different to a Jimmy Graham getting a dump-off pass and decking a blitzing corner-back.

:confused: Really?

Fully developed men are not comparable to little kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Kids that age should just be playing flag football.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

:confused: Really?

Fully developed men are not comparable to little kids.

That's an absolutely separate issue to the one I was discussing, if you want to talk about when full-contact football should start or size limitations for players go right ahead.

As it stands that video just tells you the blindingly obvious, that on any football field there's going to be mis-matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Madden curse, what Madden curse!!
    Megatron could break Jerry Rice's single season yardage record if he continues to rack up the yards in the last few games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/24/calvin-johnson-threatens-single-season-receiving-yardage-record/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Madden curse, what Madden curse!!
    Megatron could break Jerry Rice's single season yardage record if he continues to rack up the yards in the last few games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/24/calvin-johnson-threatens-single-season-receiving-yardage-record/
    4 TD's for the season...

Theres the Madden Curse.

Chicago's D has 7.

I'd call that a poor return for a guy as talented in the Red Zone as Calvin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement