Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bubba gump

Masked Man wrote: »

Ah balls!! thats a load of crap!

Some useful info on that thread that I might try to utilise to get around this bull. Sky Games blacked out for 6 days? WTF:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

ProFootballTalk are doing pre season power rankings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Paully D wrote: »

Taken from Twitter:
    Toucher and Rich ‏@Toucherandrich

Thanks to @jerrythornton1 from Barstool Sports for coming on & clarifying that the Bob Kraft video was an audition for a Vince Vaughn movie.

Also follow Jerry Thornton he is funny as fook. This made me laugh:
    Jerry Thornton ‏@jerrythornton1

Pats sign deal to practice with the Taints. Apparently the Crips, the Mob & Mexican drug cartels weren't available

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Top 20 games of 2011:

http://www.nfl.com/qs/top20games/2011/Baltimore-Ravens-at-Pittsburgh-Steelers.jsp

Some great viewing there, especially for those with GamePass who can watch the full games again. It's only at #8 now with the next 7 to be revealed over the coming days, but the list so far is:

#20) Panthers @ Cardinals
    #19) Packers @ Chiefs
    #18) Giants @ 49ers
    #17) Saints @ Titans
    #16) Chargers @ Chiefs
    #15) Texans @ Bengals
    #14) Bears @ Broncos
    #13) Saints @ Falcons
    #12) Super Bowl
    #11) Ravens @ Steelers
    #10) Packers @ Giants
    #9) Cowboys @ 49ers
    #8) Raiders @ Texans

What do you think of the list so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ouch. Even the Patriots' benevolent dictator is taking a few knocks lately. A rare case of trickle up effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Top 20 games of 2011:

http://www.nfl.com/qs/top20games/2011/Baltimore-Ravens-at-Pittsburgh-Steelers.jsp

Some great viewing there, especially for those with GamePass who can watch the full games again. It's only at #8 now with the next 7 to be revealed over the coming days, but the list so far is:

#19) Packers @ Chiefs
    #18) Giants @ 49ers
    #17) Saints @ Titans
    #16) Chargers @ Chiefs
    #15) Texans @ Bengals
    #14) Bears @ Broncos
    #13) Saints @ Falcons
    #12) Super Bowl
    #11) Ravens @ Steelers
    #10) Packers @ Giants
    #9) Cowboys @ 49ers
    #8) Raiders @ Texans

Can't really argue with that list so far, except maybe Bears-Broncos. Apart from the 4th quarter it wasn't worth watching. My favourite game of the year definitely Ravens Steelers. Felt so good about staying up for it. I would have Texans@Colts in there too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Saints at 49ers has to be no.1 right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

without a doubt, one of the best games I've ever seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Ye you would have to think so.

Packers @ Chargers and Saints @ Packers to make up the top 3?

• Advertisement

Decent read here, a guide to understanding Ochocinco:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a79f33/article/chad-ochocinco-guide-to-understanding-miami-dolphins-wr?module=HP11_content_stream
    The Miami Dolphins begin training camp July 26, with both veterans and rookies expected to show up at the team's facility. They will do so along with HBO and its cameras, as it begins the process of collecting footage for its annual behind-the-scenes show "Hard Knocks."

At that point, all eyes will be on Chad Ochocinco. The Dolphins signed the lightning rod receiver to a minimum salary for one season, provided he makes the team. He has already made headlines.

He married his reality show star bride Evelyn, live-tweeting down the aisle. He joined her in a reality show set to air on VH1. And he spoke to Dolphins media members for two minutes in camp, seeking "Brokeback Mountain chemistry" in the locker room.

Welcome to life with Ochocinco, where his own reality show does not equal reality. No player in the NFL requires a roadmap to cover him like the man formerly known as Chad Johnson. No other player makes fans read a How-To book before processing what he is delivering. No one else forces an observer to buy Rosetta Stone to understand his language.

I've been there. I spent last season covering Ochocinco in New England, a failed and futile stay that resulted in his release June 7. There were highs and lows. Confounding moments and successful breakthroughs. Moments where I delivered insight into his acclimation process and moments where I failed to see through the fireworks display to spot the dud.

With that in mind, allow me to offer some tips for how to judge Ochocinco's appearance at Dolphins training camp as he tries to earn the right to play his 12th season in the NFL.

Learn to compartmentalize:

Ochocinco is one of the most likable and charismatic athletes in recent years. Talk to him for two minutes and you'll want to hang out with him. No shame in that. That's why advertisers pick players like him to represent their products. But don't view his bravado as gospel. Don't alter your view just because he tweets at Roger Goodell that he'll be back to celebrating scores.

Use your eyes and shut off your ears. Listen to former Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban. He counts among his favorite sayings, "Ignore the noise."

Ochocinco can say what he wants, and people will eat it up. But separate that from the product he's putting on the field. When he dropped more balls than any other receiver in camp last year, I overlooked it. I believed it when he said, "I'm human. Balls are going to be dropped."

That's what he said Aug. 9. Who doesn't drop passes? The answer: Everyone else. Wes Welker didn't. Neither did Deion Branch. Randy Moss, whose practice habits can be criticized, never dropped anything in New England.

Ochocinco's concentration might improve in Miami. But if he's replicating his case of the dropsies, it supersedes his words.

Ochocinco The Brand is not Ochocinco The Person:

No player has used Twitter better than Ochocinco. The former Cincinnati Bengals star will admit in a private moment that he went from a player known for trashing his team (as he did on radio row before Super Bowl XLII in Arizona) to a fan favorite. It's all because of Twitter. He laughs, he jokes, he uses profanity, and he engages fans in his quest for the best lunch spot. He has created an image. He seems easygoing and open to public scrutiny.

But know this: He reveals only what he wants in a carefully manipulated stream on Twitter. That's how savvy he is. He makes it seem like he is an open book, though he opens it merely to the first page. Do not expect him to do countless interviews, to be accessible, to provide substance. He's more comfortable tweeting snippets about his life than he is answering in-person questions about it. That's just not who he is. Get comfortable reading the table of contents knowing you won't reach Page 113.

Return to the old Chad Johnson? Hold that thought:

There is a line of thinking that Ochocinco needs to return to the player he was before. He's added to that by talking about changing his name back to Chad Johnson. This is bolstered by the fact that he averaged 79.9 receptions a season with seven touchdowns as Johnson, but just 51.8 receptions per year and 4.5 TDs as Ochocinco.

The problem is he isn't the same player now. He's slower, less explosive, older. No shame in that. Players age. It happens.

A name change or any other superficial alteration won't put him in a DeLorean going 88 miles per hour. Last season, before the Super Bowl XLVI loss to the New York Giants, Ochocinco dawned gold shoes and put in his gold teeth. As if he could suddenly morph into his old, brash, celebrating, fine-drawing self.

It didn't happen. He had just one catch for 21 yards in the Super Bowl, his only playoff production. Gold teeth or not, he is who he is. If he suddenly looks fast again and is dominating defensive backs, that's more important than what you call him.

Words are mostly meaningless

Ochocinco wants criticism. Just ask him. He said so Aug. 31.

"I want you guys to critique the hell out of me, as I can also do to you," Ochocinco said back then. "I hold no grudges."

Actually, completely untrue. Not only did he not want criticism, he shrunk from it. When he dropped a sure touchdown pass in Buffalo -- becoming talk radio fodder for a week -- he disappeared in plain sight. He gave few or no interviews and barely tweeted. He didn't lash out on the field in a flurry of production. He merely did nothing. Instead of drawing fire from it, it continued his downward spiral.

Ochocinco was a good teammate. He just wasn't good. The chorus was loud and proud and full of praise. It will be that way with the Dolphins, including from young players who grew up idolizing him. In the end in New England, it all meant nothing. He wasn't a player who helped the team.

Hold Ochocinco to the same standard as everyone else:

Ochocinco once gathered media around in Foxboro, promised an on-the-record dinner with local reporters, kissed a male TV anchor on the cheek and walked out without another word. Dinner never happened, by the way, and neither did the interview we were seeking.

He once took this reporter to lunch early in his time with the Patriots, offering insight into his mind as a football player and how he would fit in. It was a nice afternoon. He gave a $100 bill to the waitress as a tip, a generous touch. The insight stopped when he struggled.

He claimed in an interview that he'd like to live with a fan in Foxboro, perhaps holding a contest. That sparked a lovefest about how much fun he would bring to Foxboro. By the time the season started, there was no talk of the contest or anything else besides his woeful camp.

Back in 2009, he claimed he bought up all of the remaining tickets for a game against the Texans to avoid a blackout. The reality was, Motorola bought the tickets. By the time the truth came out, perceptions were shaped.

I say all this to point out that Ochocinco fooled us all. He has a reputation as a fun, refreshing character, full of promise and hijinks. That delayed what we all should have seen last August -- that he couldn't contribute on the field.

He might contribute in Miami. I hope he does. If he gets his legs back and shows up in shape, he could be a force. But when trying to figure out if Ochocinco will help the Dolphins, use your eyes and ignore the noise.

Gotta love him though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Top 20 games of 2011:

#19) Packers @ Chiefs
    #18) Giants @ 49ers
    #17) Saints @ Titans
    #16) Chargers @ Chiefs
    #15) Texans @ Bengals
    #14) Bears @ Broncos
    #13) Saints @ Falcons
    #12) Super Bowl
    #11) Ravens @ Steelers
    #10) Packers @ Giants
    #9) Cowboys @ 49ers
    #8) Raiders @ Texans

That Bears game had a fantastic finish but it was total ****e tbh. Absolutely nothing happened until the final three minutes.

Steelers @ Broncos should place in the top 8, Broncos @ Vikings top three.

Have to give last season's opener as the best though, it was a ****ing class match with so many brilliant plays that went to the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Ravens @ Steelers
    Saints @ 48ers
    Saints @ Packers

My 3 favourite games of last season. From aggressive defence, great ints, hits in the open, pass rushing, bombs, returns, last minute standoffs. These games had it all in their own way. I would advertise these games plus the Packers v Cardinals couple years ago to any non fan to get them into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I hope I am allowed to post this.

This is disgusting IMO:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/12/cam-newton-takes-some-heat-for-charging-for-autographs/
    Panthers quarterback Cam Newton will appear at a mall on Saturday and sign autographs for anyone who has the time to stand in line — and at least $125.

Newton is appearing at an autograph session at which he’ll charge $125 to sign a picture, $150 to sign a football and $175 to sign a jersey, with another $50 on top if you want him to personalize it. Newton will be there for two and a half hours, and he could easily sign his name enough times that he and the organizers of the event could bring in more than $100,000. Not bad for an afternoon of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

That Ocho story reminds me of the TO story in so many ways. There are parrallells. The downward spiral, the unfulfilled promises. The allure of public life. The flash character. His coping mechanism; instead of being burned and rising from the fire lets it hit is heart and he hids from criticism which fuels the downward spiral.

I admire Johnson, in his pomp his was explosive, brash, box office, backed it up, I hope he goes back to Johnson. Gets commited mentally. He was a special one. But if he can't learn a playbook he'll struggle.

The 'Phins were desperate for box office, he would've had other teams chasing him, but I like this fit. New HC with new idea's and creating competition, with a QB position unfulfilled as of yet and his roster on the line could see some explosive scenes on Hardknocks.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I hope I am allowed to post this.

What a game :cool:

Yeah but those jerseys will be worth quite a bit once autographed so it's not all bad.

Josh Gordon from Baylor has been taken by the Browns in the 2nd round of the supplementary draft. The Browns now lose their 2nd round pick in next years draft.

Thank god. They did something about receiver. I'm tired of the Browns sucking. Why was he in the supplemental draft though? And from what I've heard that's a bit of a reach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Ha, classic example of why Cleveland are the sorry franchise that they are.

What a waste of what will likely be a very high 2nd round pick. Sums them right up!

Ha, classic example of why Cleveland are the sorry franchise that they are.

What a waste of what will likely be a very high 2nd round pick. Sums them right up!

Do you think he's a bad player or that they're just reaching big time?

matthew8 wrote: »

Enormous reach. When you consider the likes of Alshon Jeffery, Stephen Hill, Reuben Randle, Mohamed Sanu, Ryan Broyles - even Greg Childs (4) and Marvin Jones (5) etc. were all second round or later picks this year.

Next year's class is particularly noted for the strength in depth at WR, they could have picked up a real stud receiver instead of a project who hasn't played in over a year. Of all the years to use a 2nd round pick in the supplemental draft on a receiver. Classic Holmgren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

matthew8 wrote: »

Guy has only play 1 full season of college football if you look at the amount of games he played. Id say its a gamble alright. He is quick though runs a 4.52 40 and has massive hands and is 6'3 and 220 pounds.

One thing though that I read a couple of times and noticed myself in his highlight reels all his scores were against weak secondaries.

The majority of his yards and scores came against these teams: TCU, Rice, Kansas, Texas Tech, Colorado and Kansas State. After that they play tougher secondaries at Texas, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Oklahoma he caught a combined 10 for 100yds

If you ask me the hype being made about him has made the Browns bite on him in the manner they did. They could have gotten him lower.

One thing that confuses me with the Browns is that they didn't go after WR more in FA. Typically the reason they can't get anyone is no one would want to go, but Laurent Robinson went to Jacksonville so surely they could've got him, especially considering their money in the bank. I'm normally a fan of the Browns drafting, but this year has been poor.

As for the comment about his performances against better secondaries, that bodes very very poorly for him, he has to play against 3 brilliant pass defenses 6 times a year.

I've read that some people thought in 2010 based on projected growth that he had better potential than Blackmon and Baldwin and that he could have gone fairly high in next seasons draft if he stayed out of trouble (top 20 was the number given if I remember rightly).

On the flip slide I've also seen people say that they can't believe that the Browns gave up what will be a pretty high 2nd round pick for him.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop here.

Clarke Judge's take on the Gordon pick, which I agree with. Especially like his summary of why the Brandon Weeden pick back in April was wrong on several levels. But the last line of this piece is great (Sorry Silver-Tiger!)
    I didn't realize how much the loss of Baylor wideout Kendall Wright to Tennessee in this year's draft flummoxed the Cleveland Browns, but now I do. It was a setback from which they still haven't recovered.

The proof? Their choice Thursday of Baylor receiver Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft. It's not that choosing Gordon is a bad idea, and it's not that choosing a wide receiver is a bad idea. But choosing this wide receiver with a second-round pick is a bad idea. It's a panic move that makes no sense.

OK, OK, I understand the Browns need another pair of hands like Barnes needs Noble, but a second-round draft pick for Josh Gordon? Puh-leeze. These are the Cleveland Browns, people, and they're not only the fourth-best team in the AFC North; they could be one of the worst teams in the NFL, period.

That means they should be in line for a high choice in next year's draft, which means ... uh-huh, that second-round pick they just sacrified? It should be a high second-rounder. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if the Browns finish with one of the worst three records in the league.

OK, so that's a doom-and-gloom scenario, but tell me they're better than Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati in they're division ... because they're not. And tell me they beat Philadelphia or the Giants or Dallas or Denver and San Diego with the league's third most difficult schedule ... because they won't. I'm sorry, but I don't see much hope this season, and after what just happened, I don't know if I see much hope in the forseeable future.

As I said, I understand the Browns' position at wide receiver. They can't have enough. But the draft is all about getting value for your pick, and the Browns just flunked the exam. Josh Gordon is not second-round value, especially where Cleveland is liable to choose next April.

I don't know, but it sure looks as if not getting Wright made the Browns go wrong. They had a golden opportunity to inject life into a struggling offense with two first-round picks in this year's draft and made the wise choice with running back Trent Richardson at the fourth spot. But then they waited on Wright with the 22nd pick, and that was a mistake. The guy went to Tennessee at the 20th spot, which threw the Browns into such a funk they chose Brandon Weeden -- a quarterback who turns 29 this season -- two spots later.

The Browns didn't need another quarterback. They needed a playmaker like Wright, and if they had a conviction about him -- which, president Mike Holmgren admitted later, they did -- they should have acted on it. They should have maneuvered to take him in front of potential suitors like Tennessee.

But they didn't and suffered the consequences.

So they wait three months and take another Baylor receiver -- only one who's not as good and who didn't play last season. When the Browns got stiffed on Wright, they should have found another piece to plug into an offense that needs help everywhere -- maybe an offensive lineman like a David DeCastro or Riley Reiff or Kevin Zeitler. But, instead, they opted for a quarterback to replace Colt McCoy, whom they took in the third round two years ago.

I don't care what you think of McCoy, but no quarterback in Cleveland stands a chance without a supporting cast that wasn't there last season. I don't know how good McCoy is or isn't because he didn't have guys around him to make him better. He deserved a chance that he won't get. Weeden will and good luck.

Choosing Richardson to improve an awful rushing attack was a start, but the Browns are desperate for playmakers -- so desperate that they wasted what is sure to be a high draft pick on a receiver who, when he did play two years ago, had his moments but wasn't what I'd call extraordinary.

Which is another way of saying he wasn't Kendall Wright one season later.

I'm sorry, but I don't get it. This is how fourth-place clubs stay in fourth place. Which is another way of saying, ladies and gentlemen, your Cleveland Browns.

Well that's one of the best pieces on the NFL I've read this year. Thanks for showing us it. The Browns receivers will have to be 10 times as good this year as last for Weeden to have a chance. I think McCoy won't be with Cleveland by the start of the season, who do you think would want him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Top 20 salaries for 2012 per position

Just adding the link, it's interesting reading

Can't quote it, it's huge
    http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/165803-top-salaries-2012-players-each-position/

Shane Lecher on $3,800,000, damn that's good money for a punter
    Out in first for his position by a mile

Seabass is actually well down the list for his position, surprised at that

Aaron Rodgers on $9,000,000
    He signed a long term deal a few years back afaik, before he exploded
    Packers certainly getting value, well run franchise

Nick Mangold got his deal and is the highest paid center in the league but in the scheme of things, interior Olinemen are not so well paid

At a glance another who stands out is Vonta Leach, by far the highest paid fullback in the league
    But I think he's worth it as he is easily the best fullback in the league

LeSean McCoy got a new deal after this was posted, 5 years $45 million, $20,765,000 guaranteed
    Looking at the list he was certainly due a new deal

• Advertisement

Very interesting read that Mike, thanks for posting.

The things that caught my eye after a quick glance:
    • Rob Gronkowski is a serious bargain for the Patriots
    • Hayward-Bey's contract is an embarrassment
    • Adrian Wilson is seriously overpaid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement