Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I don't think Heyward-Bey's contract is that bad. He had 975 yards this year and I think soon enough he could be justifying that sort of pay. He is one receiver I would kill to see in purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

One thing I noticed is Trent Williams is making 11 million while Russell Okung is making 3 million even though they were drafted two spots apart at the same position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

RGIII wrote: »
    One thing I noticed is Trent Williams is making 11 million while Russell Okung is making 3 million even though they were drafted two spots apart at the same position.

It's only the salary for one year so doesn't mean anything in terms of overall salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Clarke Judge's take on the Gordon pick, which I agree with. Especially like his summary of why the Brandon Weeden pick back in April was wrong on several levels. But the last line of this piece is great (Sorry Silver-Tiger!)

:(

I agree with most of it.

I'll just have to continue to be deluded and hope we get more than 5 victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jaws (Ron Jaworski) list of his top 30 NFL QB's:

scaled.php?tn=0&server=29&filename=ji4a.png&xsize=480&ysize=480

Agree or disagree with that? What rankings would you change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Paully D wrote: »

It's amazing after Eli winning his second and now has more than peyton and he is still ranked below peyton. And I wouldn't have Tebow on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Peyton Manning coming off neck surgery and a year off should be no higher than seven imo.

Thats of course if this is a 'right now' list which I presume it is.

Matt Ryan is a little high also I think and I hate saying that about a BC Eagle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Disagree.

Brady @ 1
    Rodgers @ 2
    Brees @ 3

I agree with eagle eye there and Eli & big ben should certainly be higher that Peyton.

Stafford is pretty low on the list, I'd have him 8th behind Cutler.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's amazing after Eli winning his second and now has more than peyton and he is still ranked below peyton. And I wouldn't have Tebow on the list.

It's only amazing if you value rings as the be all and end all, which I think is pretty stupid to be honest. Edit - Even taking the neck surgery and year off he's ahead of Eli. I wouldn't have dropped Brady far down the rankings after his knee surgery.

Well the list gives me confidence in Flacco certainly. I don't think Peyton is ranked too high. He'll prove all the doubters wrong in Denver. I'd swap Brady and Brees, but I think Rodgers is definitely number one. 45 TDs to 6 INTs is magnificent. He clearly places a high value on the postseason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

matthew8 wrote: »
    He clearly places a high value on the postseason.

I wouldn't think so. Look where Stafford & Smith are.
    Both have a decent arguement for being higher up in the list. Especially Stafford after putting up 5,000 yards last year.

Lionbacker wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so. Look where Stafford & Smith are.
    Both have a decent arguement for being higher up in the list. Especially Stafford after putting up 5,000 yards last year.

What do you mean? Stafford is the perfect example of putting high value on the postseason, only 14th despite a 5,000 yard season, because he hasn't a postseason win. Smith is 16th because he has only one postseason win, and Flacco is 9th because he has 5 postseason wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

matthew8 wrote: »
    What do you mean? Stafford is the perfect example of putting high value on the postseason, only 14th despite a 5,000 yard season, because he hasn't a postseason win. Smith is 16th because he has only one postseason win, and Flacco is 9th because he has 5 postseason wins.

My mistake, I thought you just meant last years postseason.
    It could be just as easily said a lot of emphasis is placed on age & experience. All the top ten have been playing for at least 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Disagree.

Brady @ 1
    Rodgers @ 2
    Brees @ 3

I agree with eagle eye there and Eli & big ben should certainly be higher that Peyton.

Gotta be joking, Rodgers would be unstoppable if behind Bradys O-line. Brady doesn't have to content with a crap O-Line, Rogers does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Stev_o wrote: »
    Gotta be joking, Rodgers would be unstoppable if behind Bradys O-line. Brady doesn't have to content with a crap O-Line, Rogers does.

Here we go again a thread Brady vs Manning but now its going to turn into Rodgers Vs Brady. Brady Brees Rodgers and Manning if he comes back to former glory are all on the same level and each one has their own unique attributes as to why they are elite. None of them are clearly better than the other in my eyes. Its hard to say one is better than the other.

No one can say Rodgers doesn't receive enough help. He has the best WR corps in the league, and he did only take 36 sacks. Brady has a better O-line but worse receivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,968 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You can make an argument for any of the top three as no.1 right now. You cannot blame the OL all the time with Rodgers. He holds onto the ball a lot longer than most QBs in the league. He has great scrambling ability and he uses it brilliantly but the line cannot hold up forever and he really does put them under a lot of pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Terrible and simplistic argument. The same argument could be said many different ways to prove any point:
    Brady would be unstoppable if he had Rodgers' WR corps,etc

Brady has by far the best pocket presence of all the QBs in the league, which makes his oline seem better than they are. I'm not saying that the Pats oline is not more talented than the Packers oline but football is a very complicated game with hundreds of moving parts, you cant make it that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Brees and Saints agree on a $100 million five year deal per NFL.com here

Weekend will hopefully bring more of these announcements

Hazys wrote: »
    Terrible and simplistic argument. The same argument could be said many different ways to prove any point:

Brady has by far the best pocket presence of all the QBs in the league, which makes his oline seem better than they are. I'm not saying that the Pats oline is not more talented than the Packers oline but football is a very complicated game with hundreds of moving parts, you cant make it that simple.

It for the reasons you stated is why I hate people comparing certain guys especially the Elite guys. They are Elite for a reason and there are so many non comparisons that people make as comparisons when debating them but lets face it these guys are elite for a reason, they gel well with everything and improve most players games and they also work tremendously when they have all the required pieces or even some of the required pieces.

Rodgers: Game winner who can move when needs be and will find any WR
    Brady: The Epiphany of pocket presence, this guy controls his pocket like no other.
    Manning: The ultimate football brain runs an offense probably better than any of the other Elite guys and on the level they are all on already, he simply raises the bar 1 level above the already elite level.
    Brees: Amazing passer of the football there isnt a throw he cant make.

Eli Manning bringing up the rear: A now proven game winner and now has proven he can control the game at an Elite level.

The Top 4 are on the same level of Elitism and how they put themselves there is the subtle differences between them. Can you compare as individuals and split them up and rank them yeah most people seem able to with some sort of reasoning or ring wins but for me there is no splitting them they are all nothing short of amazing QBs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I don't know about you guys, but when ranking my QBs, I always take into consideration the hotness of their wife. I feel that's really important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I don't know about you guys, but when ranking my QBs, I always take into consideration the hotness of their wife. I feel that's really important.

Does that mean that Ryan Tannehill is now elite:D

Hazys wrote: »

BS. Patriots have one of the best O-Lines in the League and have the stats to back it up. Just look at the PFF rankings, your worst O-Line player had a rating of -5 ours had a rating of -40 and this is our LT!!

Fyi Brady doesn't put up some magical barrier that stops pass rushers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Stev_o, you've been posting here a long time. I refuse to believe you could view things THAT simple. Can you really not see how Brady is a nightmare for pass rushers?!? :confused:

BS. Patriots have one of the best O-Lines in the League and have the stats to back it up. Just look at the PFF rankings, your worst O-Line player had a rating of -5 ours had a rating of -40 and this is our LT!!

So basically what you are saying is without that Oline Brady isnt on the same level as Rodgers? Yeah alright dude.

Making an simple comparison like sums up the nonsense for the most part in these discussions. You can compare both of them across the board and find just as equal faults with all of the guys around them and they both will come out on the same level. Easy to blame one thing to try make a guy look better than another.

Quick someone contact every expert and pundit and coach and the whole NFL and especially Brady and let them know his success and ability is down to his Oline and that Rodgers is superman and on a whole new level.

Stev_o, you've been posting here a long time. I refuse to believe you could view things THAT simple. Can you really not see how Brady is a nightmare for pass rushers?!? :confused:

Yes I understand the arguments for it and of course it helps (Quicky release, good at reading defense etc etc) but are you honestly telling me that Brady would cope as well as he does with Marshall Newhouse playing at LT for him (and minus any sort of miracle the Pats pull off on the O-Line man)

as well as he does with Marshall Newhouse playing at LT for him (and minus any sort of miracle the Pats pull off on the O-Line man)

Yes he would especially with the Receivers the Packers have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Kyle Bollers missus :eek:

Wags3_display_image.jpg?1322332899

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Would anyone go:

1) Brady
    2) Brees
    3) Rodgers

• Advertisement

Would anyone go:

1) Brady