Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I was in Hill 16 when we went 2-1 up against Italy, was probably the greatest sporting atmosphere I've ever experienced in Croke Park. Pure vibrant, ragged, ecstatic, wild carnival atmosphere... Gilardino scored the equaliser. But for that 3 minutes the foundations shook free and Croke Park rose to the clouds and floated to the skies, then the air sucked out of the stadium like a vacum and smashed down to earth. Sport. I can still feel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Give me one good reason why the FAI and IRFU would move their internationals from a stadium they own to a stadium they would have to rent, and make very little money back on. Honestly, did you think this through at all?

It cost €1.35m a match to use Croke Park during the boom and with the IRFU and FAI over a barrel in terms of options. The GAA have openly admitted they would offer reduced rates in the event of a rugby or soccer game being played at Croke Park in the future.

Croke Park has a capacity of over 32,000 more than the Aviva Stadium. €60 (a very low-end approximation of the various pricing levels offered for the top-tier internationals) x 32,000 = €1,920,000 gross. Even after tax you'd likely be making far more than your money back on the extra ticket sales minus the rent.

Couple that with 32,000 extra people buying concessions, programmes, the knock-on finical boost to the city and the promotion a far larger spectacle would provide to the sport.

Don't try to be so curt the next time, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Syferus wrote: »
    It cost €1.35m a match to use Croke Park during the boom, and with the IRFU and FAI over a barrel in terms of options. The GAA have openly admitted they would offer reduced rates in the event of a rugby or soccer game being played in Croke Park in the future

Croke Park has a capacity of over 32,000 more than the Aviva Stadium. €60 ( low-end approximation of the various pricing levels offered) x 32,000 = €1,920,000 gross. Even after tax you'd likely be making more than your money back on the extra ticket sales minus the rent.

Couple that with 32,000 extra people buying concessions, programmes and the knock-on finical boost to the city and real the question is did you think through your response at all?

Tickets for the aviva stadium cost more because it's a better location and quite frankly a far better experience, certainly for rugby. That's more money. I don't actually mind Croke Park from the point of view of watching the game. Even in the Nally stand I could see the game, but the real problem is it's in a residential area. With the Aviva the moment you step outside you can see plenty of places to go after the game for a drink, and of course you can go to these places before the game too. Once the lease is gone someone else will pay to have the stadium named after them. Maybe one of the banks or Irish Life. But there's zero chance rugby and football will move away from their traditional home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

There's zero chance they won't at some point in the future. Money talks a hell of alot louder than tradition.

There's zero chance they won't at some point in the future. Money talks a hell of alot louder than tradition.

Did you not read the part of my post about ticket prices? I don't know about football fans but I would pay twice the money to go to a game in the Aviva rather than Croke Park, especially seeing as getting to and from Croke Park takes me an hour longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

It cost €1.35m a match to use Croke Park during the boom and with the IRFU and FAI over a barrel in terms of options. The GAA have openly admitted they would offer reduced rates in the event of a rugby or soccer game being played at Croke Park in the future.

Croke Park has a capacity of over 32,000 more than the Aviva Stadium. €60 (a very low-end approximation of the various pricing levels offered for the top-tier internationals) x 32,000 = €1,920,000 gross. Even after tax you'd likely be making far more than your money back on the extra ticket sales minus the rent.

Couple that with 32,000 extra people buying concessions, programmes, the knock-on finical boost to the city and the promotion a far larger spectacle would provide to the sport.

One big flaw with your unproven posts is that even the prime games the FAI struggled to fill the Aviva. Do you honestly think the FAI will jump back to Croker in the chance they barely scrape half capacity?

The fact of the matter is the FAI had to reduce tickets prices across the board to get people into the Aviva for Ireland games and that failed to work. I have been a block booker and now season ticket holder with the FAI for the last 13 years and the crowds right now are at an all time low including big games.

And now Ireland crashed out of the Euros Id say the only game that will come close to capacity will be the German game in the WCQ. Unless Ireland starts to win more games and play attractive football the bandwagoners who fill the rest of the seats will stay away thus defeating the purpose of using an 80,000 capacity venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Where are you getting 32,000 extra people from? Here's the home attendances from Irelands Euro qualifying matches.

Ireland vs Andorra - 40k
    Ireland vs Russia - 50k
    Ireland vs Macedonia - 33k
    Ireland vs Slovakia - 35k
    Ireland vs Armenia - 32k

Reached over 50k in one of the game so I really have no idea why you think FAI will be happy to rent out Croke park when they can't even sell out the Aviva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Where are you getting 32,000 extra people from? Here's the home attendances from Irelands Euro qualifying matches.

Ireland vs Andorra - 40k
    Ireland vs Russia - 50k
    Ireland vs Macedonia - 33k
    Ireland vs Slovakia - 35k
    Ireland vs Armenia - 32k

Reached over 50k in one of the game so I really have no idea why you think FAI will be happy to rent out Croke park when they can't even sell out the Aviva.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the FAI exaggerate some of those numbers to make it look like there is more in the Aviva. The Russian game had more than a fair few empty seats but yet its down as close to capacity. I sit on the half way line in the east stand and there was lots of empty seats around us. Many in the club seats and upper tiers also. I would have said 48-49k there that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

So does anyone have any football news :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

nerd69 wrote: »
    So does anyone have any football news :)

Rob Gronkowski fúcked Mila Kunis.

There you go.

• Advertisement

There you go.

good job rob between her and bibi jones hes doing well for himself

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

There you go.

pics or gtfo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Yes and money isn't on your side in this.

As said the FAI can't fill the Aviva so won't be moving.

With the Aviva the IRFU and FAI control;

1) All Tickets, corporate to bleachers, premium to the gimpy North stand. They don't in Croker.

2) NO RENTAL FEE

3) They control all concessions at the ground

4) You said earlier "when the Aviva deal runs out they'll be back at Croker for big games". Why not sign another one? 40 million it cost in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The equivalent of a Superbowl winning TD, good man Gronk. Keeping us Pats proud.

The equivalent of a Superbowl winning TD, good man Gronk. Keeping us Pats proud.
    Yup except ye lost the sb :)

nerd69 wrote: »
    Yup except ye lost the sb :)

Let me see, a Superbowl winning TD or Mila Kunis?

I'll take Mila thanks.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

http://www.hulu.com/nfl

Bengals and Chiefs are my favourites.

Top 100 of 2012 just finished, surprised to see Brady fourth. And Gronk 21st.

Just noticed there that Laurent Robinson is now a jaguar. That's a nice little group for Gabbert to throw to. Really lacked confidence last year, and you could see why. Put up or shut up time now. You really have to wonder though why Cleveland hasn't done the same, they've just brought in another lamb to send to the slaughter.

Also some funny comments by Cleveland Indians closer Chris Perez about Browns fans (no stranger to controversy this guy, known for criticizing the fairweather Indians fans):
    “[Clevelanders'] whole thing is, ‘We want a winner.’ Well, why do you support the Browns? They don’t win. They’ve never won. They left. You guys blindly support them. I don’t understand it. It’s a double standard, and I don’t know why."
    Clearly he wasn't around in the 50s when the Browns were the team to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Two Canadian Football League games on ESPN tonight from 12 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

There you go.

Yeah because i've banged every girl I've been photographed with, too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

baz2009 wrote: »

They just stopped a game mid quarter to give a player an award. Bizarre :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

baz2009 wrote: »

Few questions...

Why do the wide-outs line up 10 yards deep and then run to line of scrimmage as ball about to be snapped? Is that not give-away on the snap count?

Why do you have to punt on 3rd down? Kinda limits your offense no?

What former NFL players are in the league. I saw Sinorice Moss and Cory Sheets last night. Any relatively big name former NFl players?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Just watching the first game of the CFL double-header, have only watched the 2011 grey cup until now. I agree with higgins i don't like the 3 downs. the wideouts lining up behind the rest are slotbacks and the idea is to confuse the defense and get a running start on the DBs. also not sure about the ex-NFL players but from what I have heard the teams are picky about the non Canadians they have on their roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »

Class photo and it looks like he's had that mane and the attitude all his life then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Watching NFL Network makes me want the new season to start so badly. It's so far away :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Quite the off season for Aldon Smith, Arrested for a DUI shortly after the season ended and now stabbed...

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/6/30/3128942/san-francisco-49ers-linebacker-aldon-smith-stabbed-at-party-sustains

"The San Francisco 49ers are aware that Aldon Smith incurred minor injuries during an incident last night. We are in contact with Aldon, and thankful that his injuries were not more serious and that he is recovering comfortably. The 49ers are also in communication with local authorities as they gather information regarding the incident, and will reserve further comment at this time"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The thing that the NFL seems to suffer from more then any other sport I can think of is just how long the off season is and what we always find is it leads to this sort of stuff happening where players with question marks over their attitude tend to get caught up in trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement