Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Stev_o wrote: »
    Disagree.

Brady @ 1
    Rodgers @ 2
    Brees @ 3

I agree with eagle eye there and Eli & big ben should certainly be higher that Peyton.

Gotta be joking, Rodgers would be unstoppable if behind Bradys O-line. Brady doesn't have to content with a crap O-Line, Rogers does.

Unstoppable? sorry I don't agree. It's all a bit like saying, "Oh I'd be a much better driver if I was driving your car." Which is a non-argument really. The fact that Brady cranked up those numbers and without any serious deep threat options is just simply phenomenal.

I actually made a mistake with my earlier list, because I meant to put Drew Brees at No. 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I think the difference between Brady and Rodgers last year was that apart from the Giants and Chiefs game, Rodgers was genuinely unstoppable. That's not to say Brady wasn't playing at a phenomenal level, but Rodgers had a quarterback rating of 122. 17 points higher than Brady's. There's an argument for all 3 of them, Rodgers has the QB rating, Brees has an immense 71% completion rating, and Brady has the fact that he got his stats without a deep threat. But I just can't look past Rodgers 45 TDs to 6 INTs. It might just be the best regular season a QB has ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

When QBs are this close it comes down to running ability; Rodgers keeps defenses truer than Brees or Brady could ever hope to with their feet. He's just a more complete weapon at QB right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not exactly the Fins cheerleaders..

Syferus wrote: »
    When QBs are this close it comes down to running ability; Rodgers keeps defenses truer than Brees or Brady could ever hope to with their feet. He's just a more complete weapon at QB right now.

Running ability is the last thing to judge a QB by and it's a very erroneous yardstick to try and measure Brady by. Because he's not a scrambling QB, nor has he ever needed to be. He is regarded by many to be the most dominant pocket QB ever, ice cool in the pocket, with 110% focus on finding the pass come hell or high water.

• Advertisement

Not exactly the Fins cheerleaders..

Correct and I think we need to keep it stateside on all matters cheerleader.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Stateside indeed.

Ladies and Gents, the Big 10 mascots. Take it away. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Hot chicks are hot chicks cheerleaders or not :D

CoachTO wrote: »
    Hot chicks are hot chicks cheerleaders or not :D

Well I suppose I ain't gonna argue with that.

• Advertisement

I was gonna post this in the Pats thread, but feck it I thought I'd put it here instead. Love the end bit. :D

In his latest viral video, Brady is hawking a new candy line called “Unreal.” About a month ago, Brady went to the CVS Pharmacy on Cass Avenue in Woonsocket, RI and sat in a curtained-off box. Customers were then asked by store staff to take part in a 30-second staring contest with the “mystery opponent” behind the curtain, with the promise of an Unreal Candy bar as a prize. When Brady was revealed, the actual customers’ reactions were captured on tape.....................

Read more here...http://blog.patriots.com/2012/07/11/quick-kicks-bradys-latest-video-is-unreal/[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

"Hey kid? You want some candy?" hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Elvis Dumervil arrested for aggravated assault with a fire arm. Any Broncos fans wanna vent?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Elvis Dumervil arrested for aggravated assault with a fire arm. Any Broncos fans wanna vent?

Thank Jesus Von Miller is quality or we'd be completely screwed. ****ing IDIOT. Between him and DJ Williams we're going to have to miss two key pieces on the defence for a lot of the year. God only knows how long we could be without Doom, then again Aqib Talib got off for the same thing last month. Might take a while to follow litigation like with Talib too and we can worry about this later in the year...i HOPE

Mind you, its an assault, not assault + battery so he probably lost the plot and pointed a gun at someone. Can be hard to convict on that and he'll have a good lawyer.

EDIT: And there's your good lawyer. You may remember him from such acquittals as The People v Perrish Cox.
    Adam Schefter
    Elvis Dumervil's attorney, Harvey Steinberg, on his client's arrest this weekend: "No charges have been filed. No aggravated assault or assault took place. And it is likely that once the full investigation is complete, no charges will be filed against Mr. Dumervil."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Rumours that the Bears and Forte have agreed a new 4 year deal. Izzy Idonije has tweeted ''congrats bro'' to him a few minutes before anyone in the media reported it.

@seankjensen: BREAKING: #Bears agree to terms with Matt Forte on a long-term contract, according to source close to the situation.

Sean Jensen ‏@seankjensen

BREAKING: #Bears finalizing what is expected to be a four-year contract with @MattForte22, hours before the NFL deadline.

:)

Edit: $8m per year average according to Schefter. Well done Emery.

I wonder if there's any chance this spurs something last minute for Rice?

Paully D wrote: »
    I wonder if there's any chance this spurs something last minute for Rice?

I'm not sure it spurs anything but it bodes well, especially considering our deal is lower risk and we have more interest in signing him. 8m would be a fair number for a 4 year deal.

Fantastic news for the Bears, and delighted for Forte.

My only concern with Chicago this year was that Forte would hold out and suffer Chris Johnson-esque consequences from doing so. Exciting season ahead for Bears fans for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Scobee signed up now - $3.45 million per year with $4.75M guaranteed. Only Avril, Goldson, Rice and Bowe left.

As I looked at the clock and noticed it was 4 pm ET, I thought no deal would be done, but Ray Rice has been SIGNED. 5 years, 40 million, 8 million a year. Thanks to Matt Forte too for setting the benchmark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

A good few stories going around about who's signed up to deals - but are there any big names still holding out??

I know Maurice Jones-Drew is holding out still but other than him??

Skittles Lynch arrested for a DUI. He's a multiple offender so this one might end very badly for him.

Seriously, what is with so many NFL players getting into trouble during the offseason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Seriously, what is with so many NFL players getting into trouble during the offseason?

Money & long offseason & poor/poorly educated upbringing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Skittles Lynch arrested for a DUI. He's a multiple offender so this one might end very badly for him.

4 game suspension at least I'd say, what a plonker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    A good few stories going around about who's signed up to deals - but are there any big names still holding out??

I know Maurice Jones-Drew is holding out still but other than him??

Ed Reed doing his usual off-season whining

Skipped mandatory OTA's, the team left it go, no fine

On his last year of his deal and looking for a new contract

It would make sense to extend and lower that $7million or so cap hit
    But it's a risk to do it

I think this is Reed's last year in Baltimore
    And he's probably going to skip the start of camp

Just comparing the contract Drew Brees signed on Sunday for 5 Years & $100 million. With the 2001 Drew Bledsloe contract for 10 years & 103 million. In it's overall value, am I right in still thinking that the Bledsloe contract is still the biggest in NFL history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Eli Manning was under contract when he got his extension but the overall value was 7 years / $106.90

If you just take the 6 years extension it was 6-year, $97.5M

So you could argue, it's the highest overall figure or you could say it isn't

Depends how you look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

"Gangsta" culture + the longest offseason in any league. The only solution is more NFL!

Only 50 sleeps to go :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

davyjose wrote: »
    Money & long offseason & poor/poorly educated upbringing

Fortunately thats not true. NFL players dont get arrested at a high rate, its quiet the opposite. Arrests in the NFL are just hightly publicised not highly frequent in comparison to the rest of the US population.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/07/02/issues-surrounding-aldon-smiths-stabbing/
    The arrest rate for the general population is one in 22, but from 2000 to 2007, one in 45 NFL players was arrested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement