Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

QT9qQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

HigginsJ wrote: »

Great to see the numbers matching upto our perceptions of the best players.

GB with 2 in the top 10 dropped passes. I remember Driver dropping a few big ones against the Giants. Hopefully can cut them down with a proper pre-season schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

67 yard field goal, no bother to him:

I was just messing around looking at other kickers after that to see if anyone could match up and came across a guy named Taylor Mehlhaff who also worked with Coach Zauner and was kicking 70 yard FG's (albeit with a bit of a wind) and just dropping short on 80 yard FG's. There's a few videos on YouTube of him making FG's of a similar distance but it seems he was highly rated, ranked as the best kicker in the 2008 draft by 7 or 8 teams surveyed, drafted in the 6th round by the Saints and released during final cuts. Anyway, I'm rambling now :pac: but does anyone remember if there was much hype about him at the time and why it didn't work out for him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Paully D wrote: »
    67 yard field goal, no bother to him:

I was just messing around looking at other kickers after that to see if anyone could match up and came across a guy named Taylor Mehlhaff who also worked with Coach Zauner and was kicking 70 yard FG's (albeit with a bit of a wind) and just dropping short on 80 yard FG's. There's a few videos on YouTube of him making FG's of a similar distance but it seems he was highly rated, ranked as the best kicker in the 2008 draft by 7 or 8 teams surveyed, drafted in the 6th round by the Saints and released during final cuts. Anyway, I'm rambling now :pac: but does anyone remember if there was much hype about him at the time and why it didn't work out for him?

Massive difference between that and a game though. The ball is held perfectly by that machine and there's no rush with no defense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Did a quick mock up of who I thought would win each game this season. My standings ended up as:

Patriots 14-2
    Bills 10-6
    Jets 10-6
    Dolphins 6-10

Ravens 12-4
    Steelers 11-5
    Bengals 6-10
    Browns 1-15

Texans 14-2
    Titans 7-9
    Colts 4-12
    Jaguars 1-15

Chiefs 11-5
    Broncos 11-5

Chargers 7-9
    Raiders 3-13

Packers 14-2
    Bears 13-3

Lions 10-6
    Vikings 2-14

49ers 13-3
    Seahawks 7-9
    Cardinals 5-11
    Rams 2-14

Eagles 13-3
    Giants 8-8
    Cowboys 7-9
    Redskins 5-11

Falcons 9-7
    Panthers 9-7
    Saints 8-8
    Buccaneers 3-13

• Registered Users Posts: 37,785 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You have 6 teams with a 13-3 or better record and 6 teams with less than 4 wins. I think you need to revise that a bit.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Any interest in a few bets on some of those lines or similar lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Wow, NFC South must have a rock hard schedule.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You have 6 teams with a 13-3 or better record and 6 teams with less than 4 wins. I think you need to revise that a bit.:D

I know, chances of that happening are slim to none. But there's not a result I put down that I wouldn't put down as the same outcome second time round. Freak results like St. Louis beating New Orleans just can't be predicted.
    Any interest in a few bets on some of those lines or similar lines?

What ones have you in mind? I have very little interest in betting on the AFC West by the way.

• Advertisement

What ones have you in mind? I have very little interest in betting on the AFC West by the way.

I'd take the Rams, Bucs or Jags to beat those lines anyway.

I'd take the Rams, Bucs or Jags to beat those lines anyway.

Well the over/under spreads for each team at the bookies is Jags 5, Rams 6, Bucs 6 - I'd be wanting some pretty spectacular odds, and despite what records a quick prediction shows, I'd never bet on a line of over/under 1 or 2 - it's just silly. Throw some custom lines my way.

Well the over/under spreads for each team at the bookies is Jags 5, Rams 6, Bucs 6 - I'd be wanting some pretty spectacular odds, and despite what records a quick prediction shows, I'd never bet on a line of over/under 1 or 2 - it's just silly. Throw some custom lines my way.

I'd be better off just taking the bookies lines actually. I think Jags will be 3-5 and same with the bucs. I'd take unders with bookies on all 3.

I see the redskins are +9.5 on the spread for the first game against the saints, Good line?

I'd be better off just taking the bookies lines actually. I think Jags will be 3-5 and same with the bucs. I'd take unders with bookies on all 3.

I'm doing the exact same. Jaguars under 5 @ 10/11 could be bet of the season. I'd only give them a chance in 3 games this year (only one i had them winning was Colts at home).

@ Vikings
    Texans
    @ Colts
    Bengals
    Bears
    @ Raiders
    @ Packers
    Lions
    Colts
    @ Texans
    Titans
    @ Bills
    Jets
    @ Dolphins
    Patriots
    @ Titans

Outside of the Patriots and Packers I'd give the Jags a 35-40% chance in the other games combined. That leaves them somewhere around the 5 game mark, we're talking 4.9 at 35% and 5.6 at 40%. The bookies have it about right I think. I wouldn't touch it.

I always like them in divisional games if they are getting over 7 points on the handicap.

I don't think they have much of a chance against the Texans either home or away, or the Bears or Lions. I'd be shocked if they won any of those games.

I don't think they have much of a chance against the Texans either home or away, or the Bears or Lions. I'd be shocked if they won any of those games.
    Well they are normally tough to beat in divisional games. And the other two are not extremely difficult games either. I said the combined games would work out with a 35-40% chance of winning. I wouldn't necessarily have them that high to win any of the games you mention just overall I think thats how it looks.

You just cannot go game by game and decide results. As we all know teams have bad games on the day and injuries come into play as well. Over the season though I see them very close to five wins and thats if Gabbert doesn't turn things around. There have been some murmurs that he is going to be a different proposition this season. If thats the case then with the WRs they have now anything is possible. You got Blackmon, Robinson and Evans there now along with Mike Thomas. Last year Gabbert was totally dependent on Thomas and Mercedes Lewis with Jason Hill getting some looks as well. Their offensive line will be better this year and they have the defense to give it a real go.

How well they do all rests on the shoulders of Gabbert/Henne but if Gabbert improves a lot then they could even be playoff contenders.

HOUSTON -- Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson was arrested early Saturday on a charge of resisting arrest.
    Peterson, who is from Palestine, Texas, was released from a Houston jail on a $1,000 bond later Saturday, according to information on the Houston Police Department website.
    Team spokesman Bob Hagan said Saturday that the Vikings "are aware of the situation and are gathering more information."
    No further details were available on the arrest. A Houston police spokesman didn't immediately return a call from The Associated Press.
    Peterson is six months into rehabilitation for reconstructive surgery on his left knee, an injury that can take a year to return to full strength.
    His steady progress and lack of setbacks since tearing the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments last Dec. 24 had boosted expectations that he'll find a way to be on the field for the season opener Sept. 9, when the Vikings host the Jacksonville Jaguars.
    But speaking last month to reporters during a minicamp in Minnesota, Peterson acknowledged the reality of his injury.
    "I know my body overall, and I know I'm just not there yet," Peterson said. "It's not terrible, but I'm not to where I know I need to be."
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/8138600/minnesota-vikings-adrian-peterson-faces-resisting-arrest-charge

• Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Rod Marinelli and Lovie Smith have traveled to Houston to pick up tips on how to stop him :pac:.

robbed from twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Hey guys

Got a couple of quick questions that hopefully you's can help with.

Firstly, where (what site like) are you getting all the odds for the forthcoming season? I'm looking to do a bit of betting on the NFL this season but Betfair / Paddy's etc are rubbish for it. Where do you get the over / under spreads from? Is there a place where you can bet on number of wins / MVP etc for various teams / players?

Also, I see a lot of talk about Gamepass and so on but someone mentioned that there is no TV agreement in place at all? Does that mean Sky wont definitely have games on Sunday night? I have a Sky sub (for football already) so I wouldn't be getting a Gamepass one but I was hoping that they'll still have the two games on the Sunday night? Also, is the Redzone back on Sky?

Cheers

Bet365 have odds for regular season wins, total team sacks, rookie MVPs etc. Not all markets are up yet, it's still early but oddschecker.com is good for seeing what markets are up on which bookies.

As for Sky, last years contract is up so there's no deal in place for this year. They will get a new one without question, Neil Reynolds and Big Kev have said as much, it just won't be announced until around August most likely. Considering RedZone is blacked out here on GamePass, you can take it as a given that Sky will have it on the red button again too.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

I know our schedule is impossible but Weeden might be something good and Trent should be something good. Weeden was drafted by the Yankees , drafted in the 1st round of the draft this year and is a scratch golfer. That's more talent than I can get my head around. A lot of people are giving the Browns the same predictions as they were giving the Bengals last year. We've only lost big Phil Taylor for half the season which is a blow but not a lot else.

Although we won't have a winning season, I'm confident that we'll provide a few upsets like 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Although we won't have a winning season, I'm confident that we'll provide a few upsets like 2 years ago.

Ohhh dear a browns fan! Confident as well?!?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Uko49.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I know our schedule is impossible but Weeden might be something good and Trent should be something good. Weeden was drafted by the Yankees , drafted in the 1st round of the draft this year and is a scratch golfer. That's more talent than I can get my head around. A lot of people are giving the Browns the same predictions as they were giving the Bengals last year. We've only lost big Phil Taylor for half the season which is a blow but not a lot else.

Still galling that they got a soon-to-be 29 year-old rookie to replace a 25 year-old three year veteran who was working with the worst offense assembled since Detroit 2008.

Yeah, Weeden's good, he could be this year's Andy Dalton (oh the irony of the Browns copying the Bengals), but he's got huge amounts of work to do and if he's better than McCoy this year I'll call it and say it's entirely because he has better weapons.

McCoy would at minimum have been as good as Weeden this year and his youth and added experience should have meant the Browns gave him one good year to showcase his stuff after falling flat on their faces with RG3. The Browns have a terrible record of blaming it all the QB and throwing them out since they returned to the league, it's a recipe for no success and that's exactly what they've got. People talk about Sanchez being Tebowed this coming year but McCoy is in a terrible position now, traded or not, and he doesn't deserve it. Cleveland's problems are endemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bubba gump

Bet365 have odds for regular season wins, total team sacks, rookie MVPs etc. Not all markets are up yet, it's still early but oddschecker.com is good for seeing what markets are up on which bookies.

As for Sky, last years contract is up so there's no deal in place for this year. They will get a new one without question, Neil Reynolds and Big Kev have said as much, it just won't be announced until around August most likely. Considering RedZone is blacked out here on GamePass, you can take it as a given that Sky will have it on the red button again too.

Redzone is not blacked out for Irish gamepass users only UK. I've had it last two years and been able to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

bubba gump wrote: »
    Redzone is not blacked out for Irish gamepass users only UK. I've had it last two years and been able to watch it.

I have bad news for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Syferus wrote: »
    Still galling that they got a soon-to-be 29 year-old rookie to replace a 25 year-old three year veteran who was working with the worst offense assembled since Detroit 2008.

Yeah, Weeden's good, he could be this year's Andy Dalton (oh the irony of the Browns copying the Bengals), but he's got huge amounts of work to do and if he's better than McCoy this year I'll call it and say it's entirely because he has better weapons.

McCoy would at minimum have been as good as Weeden this year and his youth and added experience should have meant the Browns gave him one good year to showcase his stuff after falling flat on their faces with RG3. The Browns have a terrible record of blaming it all the QB and throwing them out since they returned to the league, it's a recipe for no success and that's exactly what they've got. People talk about Sanchez being Tebowed this coming year but McCoy is in a terrible position now, traded or not, and he doesn't deserve it. Cleveland's problems are endemic.

I think McCoy has got a really raw deal too (and I bet Mike Holmgren does too), but he's not ready to start in this league. He needs to work on his arm strength to be a starter. Can't imagine Weedon will do too well with that receiving corps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Im confused with all this Redzone - Gamepass - Blacked Out - Not Blacked out- Uk market - SKY red button.... ooohhh spinning... haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement