Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I thought the best one was Catching Hell

It's about a Chicago Cubs fan who tried to catch a foul ball and interfered with the player, the team ended up losing the game and the city turned on him

Great watch

You don't need to understand baseball to watch it

Yep, one of the best of them. Started watching it with my wife. Two of us glued to it. That and the one about Tim Richmond, the NASCAR driver.

Thought the Pony Excess one a bit boring. Preferred the ones about Ricky Williams, the U and the Raiders move to LA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The one about the invention of fantasy football was good too

It's not for everyone, if you're not into fantasy you may not like it

The director took a bit of a strange approach but I thought it was entertaining and amusing :)
    It's pretty short, under an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

The 'Phins are now my second team :cool:

Fcuk that! the phins are my first team now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is worth watching too! Hate when I like something about one of our divisional rivals.:)

Well the Pats will probably give The Phins the beatdown in the coming season. But I'm thinking we probably shouldn't be so hard on their hot cheerleaders. Then again, we'll probably have no choice in the matter :o:D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

This video is causing a bit of a stir on a Falcons forum I was looking at.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/falconstv/?video_id=1677087944001

Fast forward to 2:15, and look at Michael Turner (#33). I know he's always been built like a full back, but he looks particularly out of shape here. Had I not known it was him, I'd honestly have thought it was an offensive lineman or something. Maybe it was just a funny angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Fast forward to 2:15, and look at Michael Turner (#33). I know he's always been built like a full back, but he looks particularly out of shape here. Had I not known it was him, I'd honestly have thought it was an offensive lineman or something. Maybe it was just a funny angle?

At first I thought he was a bit chunkier looking, but after looking at it a couple of times, I think it could just be the camera angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

had heard a few people comment that Turner hadnt looked sharp or fit in OTAs all right, he does look very big there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

2000 Rams Playbook if anybody is interested.

There's also a bunch of playbooks here. I haven't checked any of them out but I definitely want to look at the Pats ones from the early 2000s.

I would love to see a Josh McDaniels playbook, and I'm especially intrigued to see one for this year seeing as he's never leaned heavily on tight ends before. Whether that's by design or just because he didn't have the tight ends he wanted is another thing, but I can't wait to see how he incorporates Gronkandez into it. Not necessarily a good thing, production could suffer but it's going to be extremely interesting to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I would love to see Cam Cameron's playbook, it would have to be one hell of a book to justify his huge salary though. There must be like 2 plays with more than 2 WRs in it.

Justin Tuck's new facemask is so badass.

http://t.co/5tcaWInC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Was thinking the exact same thing myself, i reckon cool facemasks will become a trend after this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Hard Knocks should be good with Ocho now!

Some great news today, the NFL have announced they are making coaches film available to fans. It'll be included on the premium Game Rewind package.

It's the exact same footage that teams use to prepare for games. Any time you've heard a coach or player talk about watching "a lot of tape" - this is what they've been talking about. Only the teams and NFL films have had access to it until now. It's basically two camera angles - a sideline and an endzone - that are placed a lot higher than regular broadcast cameras so you can see all 22 players at the same time. Should make good viewing for football nerds! :cool:

So, Stan James are the first bookies this side of Atlantic to open up the regular season over/under wins market. They are as follows:

Arizona Cardinals (7)
    Over 5/4
    Under 8/13

Atlanta Falcons (9.5)
    Over 21/20
    Under 10/13

Baltimore Ravens (10)
    Over 10/11
    Under 10/11

Buffalo Bills (7.5)
    Over 10/11
    Under 10/11

Carolina Panthers (7.5)
    Over 4/5
    Under EVS

Chicago Bears (9)
    Over 8/11
    Under 11/10

Cincinnati Bengals (8)
    Over 4/5
    Under EVS

Cleveland Browns (5.5)
    Over 5/4
    Under 8/13

Dallas Cowboys (8.5)
    Over 4/6
    Under 6/5

Denver Broncos (9)
    Over 20/21
    Under 5/6

Detroit Lions (9.5)
    Over 6/5
    Under 4/6

Green Bay Packers (12)
    Over 5/6
    Under 20/21

Houston Texans (10)
    Over 4/7
    Under 11/8

Indianapolis Colts (5)
    Over 10/11
    Under 10/11

Jacksonville Jaguars (5)
    Over 4/5
    Under EVS

Kansas City Chiefs (8)
    Over 10/11
    Under 10/11

Miami Dolphins (7)
    Over 20/21
    Under 5/6

Minnesota Vikings (6)
    Over 21/20
    Under 10/13

New England Patriots (12)
    Over 4/5
    Under EVS

New Orleans Saints (9.5)
    Over 10/13
    Under 21/20

New York Giants (9)
    Over 4/5
    Under EVS

New York Jets (8.5)
    Over 8/11
    Under 10/11

Oakland Raiders (7)
    Over 10/11
    Under 10/11

Philadelphia Eagles (10.5)
    Over 11/10
    Under 8/11

Pittsburgh Steelers (10)
    Over EVS
    Under 4/5

San Diego Chargers (9)
    Over 10/11
    Under 10/11

San Francisco 49ers (10)
    Over 20/21
    Under 5/6

Seattle Seahawks (7)
    Over 10/13
    Under 21/20

St. Louis Rams (6)
    Over 8/11
    Under 11/10

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (6)
    Over 10/11
    Under 10/11

Tennessee Titans (7)
    Over 4/6
    Under 6/5

Washington Redskins (6.5)
    Over 23/20
    Under 20/29

The unders on Cleveland, New Orleans, Carolina and Detroit, as well as the overs on New England, Seattle and Houston look very tempting imo.

Nah I'd be very surprised if Carolina didn't get to .500 next year. You and I agree that Newton has the offense going brilliantly, but look at the defense. One of the best 4-3 linebacker corps next year I think. Beason, Davis back from injury, Kuechly added and Anderson still there from a really solid year. It's looking right now that one of Kuechly or Beason go outside while Anderson/Davis plays on the other side. Great depth too. Davis AFAIK is only an OLB but the other 3 can play any LB position. DL still a bit weak for me but I think there defense will be at the very least average. My only concern is that Newton can match last year's performance. I like the under on Arizona, and the over on the Rams. I LOVE the over for the Steelers.

I like the under on the Eagles and Raiders (my tip to have 1st overall pick next year)

I like the over on the Rams and Titans (if Locker is starter)

There's a good chance the Pats and the Packers could be the 2 best teams in their conferences again in the regular season. No significant losses, both returning some injured players and both strengthened well in the offseason. Add that to the fact that they both have statistically the 2 easiest schedules of all teams in the league this year. The Pats opponents this year combined for a record of 116 wins, 140 losses last year - the lowest wins and highest losses of all team's combined opponents records this year. The Packers opponents had a similar record of 120 wins vs 136 losses.

On the other side of things, the Giants have the toughest schedule (140 wins vs 116 losses) with Denver (139 wins vs 117 losses) and poor old Cleveland (135 wins vs 121 losses) not too far behind. Always worth bearing in mind when betting on the above.

On the other side of things, the Giants have the toughest schedule (140 wins vs 116 losses)

I actually think the 9 wins is spot on for the Giants this year. I'd be hard pressed to call over/under on that. Whether or not that gets us to play-offs is another matter.

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I like the under on the Eagles and Raiders (my tip to have 1st overall pick next year)

I like the over on the Rams and Titans (if Locker is starter)

Well it seems your sentiments are echoed by the betting world, short odds on the over for Rams and Titans. I don't know about the Raiders this year, I was thinking they could pick number one but then I remembered that they do have Carson Palmer, a top class running back and a good receiving corps. I think that alone will keep them from being a top 5 pick. Carson Palmer has plenty left in the tank imo. Very tough schedule but I just don't think they'll pick number one. There's nowhere near a clear favourite for number one pick in my eyes, but there are around 8 teams relying on a young QB and if that guy doesn't work out it will be a very difficult year. My pick for number one pick is the Browns, rock solid schedule and I only have them as favourite in one game. I think the team's success will rely on the passing game, and I'm a believer in the idea that a QB's success depends on the players around him, and Weedon has one of the worst WR corps in the league so he could really struggle. Even if Richardson lives up to his billing there's little he can do on his own. The secondary is great as well as 3 of the d-linemen, but they have a huge hole at defensive end, and their LB corps is very poor too.

I like the Titans to be over 7 wins

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It looks very much like we will be subject to the UK restrictions on gamepass this year.

If that is the case I probably won't buy it this year

https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/packages?ttv=0&ttp=3

*Certain restrictions apply. NFL Game Pass is only available to users located outside the United States, Mexico, Bermuda, Antigua, the Bahamas, and any U.S. territories, possessions and commonwealths. NFL RedZone is not available in the UK and Republic of Ireland. Additional blackout restrictions apply in the UK and Republic of Ireland. For a full description of device-specific features, requirements, limitations, and other information, visit our FAQ.

Scott Hanson and NFL Redzone have been available for the last two years

That's mad if they've decided to block it now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Don't care about redzone, but if there is a 6 day blackout for games on sky then it's not worth it because they still charge full price.

Those blackouts apply to the UK, not Ireland

It's happened before that UK fans had a game blacked out but we didn't

I remember it happened two years ago in Cincinnati

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Those blackouts apply to the UK, not Ireland

It's happened before that UK fans had a game blacked out but we didn't

I remember it happened two years ago in Cincinnati

Yes last year, but as posted above, this year it seems Ireland is included.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'll be watching streams up in college anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Take it this is to do with Sky's uptake on Redzone last season then

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    I don't know about the Raiders this year, I was thinking they could pick number one but then I remembered that they do have Carson Palmer, a top class running back and a good receiving corps. I think that alone will keep them from being a top 5 pick. Carson Palmer has plenty left in the tank imo. Very tough schedule but I just don't think they'll pick number one.

Agree that McFadden is top-class (possibly best in the league) but would be surprised if he is fit for more that 50% of the games and they don't have Michael Bush to back him up this year. They lost alot on defense and few from he o-line and Boss from TE.

You are probably right that they wont be a top 5 pick but i just feel that it would easily go very badly for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement