Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

adrian522 wrote: »
    It looks very much like we will be subject to the UK restrictions on gamepass this year.

If that is the case I probably won't buy it this year

https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/packages?ttv=0&ttp=3

*Certain restrictions apply. NFL Game Pass is only available to users located outside the United States, Mexico, Bermuda, Antigua, the Bahamas, and any U.S. territories, possessions and commonwealths. NFL RedZone is not available in the UK and Republic of Ireland. Additional blackout restrictions apply in the UK and Republic of Ireland. For a full description of device-specific features, requirements, limitations, and other information, visit our FAQ.

That sucks. I've been a subscriber for the last 2 years but won't be this year if they take out Red Zone. They're charging a premium price for it, over 200 quid, and they take out one of the best features of the package so they can get extra money from Sky. **** that, I'll watch on streams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Agree that McFadden is top-class (possibly best in the league) but would be surprised if he is fit for more that 50% of the games and they don't have Michael Bush to back him up this year. They lost alot on defense and few from he o-line and Boss from TE.

You are probably right that they wont be a top 5 pick but i just feel that it would easily go very badly for them.

This analysis is pretty wrong tbh. Kamerion Wimbley has been our biggest lose but even then he wasn't amazing apart from that the other lose has been Standford Routt, a guy who gave up the most TDs and penalties of any CB in the league afaik. Ron Bartell is better upgrade over him aswell. Our offensive line has been upgraded since last year as well, Samson Satele is the only player we lost from the O-line and he is very average. Mike Briesel has been a solid signing and a definite upgrade of Cooper at RG. We've pretty much improved most areas of our team from last year except DT and OLB. I'd be shocked if this team picks number 1, it just won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Looks like Cleveland have figured out what they've been doing wrong all this time.
    RT @OfficialBrowns : Cribbs on 2012 season “We’re making it a point of emphasis this yr. to catch the ball.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Asked GamePass on Twitter about blackouts in Ireland:
    Pricing and packages are still being worked out for 2012. Please hold tight and thanks for your patience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, as usual no TV stuff worked out until the last minute.

I'd love if ESPN bought up all the NFL rights, that would be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,142 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah, as usual no TV stuff worked out until the last minute.

I'd love if ESPN bought up all the NFL rights, that would be cool.

I reckon ESPN need to do something given they have lost the EPL rights from 2013 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

This analysis is pretty wrong tbh. Kamerion Wimbley has been our biggest lose but even then he wasn't amazing apart from that the other lose has been Standford Routt, a guy who gave up the most TDs and penalties of any CB in the league afaik. Ron Bartell is better upgrade over him aswell. Our offensive line has been upgraded since last year as well, Samson Satele is the only player we lost from the O-line and he is very average. Mike Briesel has been a solid signing and a definite upgrade of Cooper at RG. We've pretty much improved most areas of our team from last year except DT and OLB. I'd be shocked if this team picks number 1, it just won't happen.

Fair enough. I'll bow to your knowledge on the Raiders.

Was Kameron Wimbley not your best (only) pass rusher?

I thought Bruce Campbell, Trevor Scott, John Henderson and CB Chris Johnson would have been fairly importants parts of the team/rotation.

Also is Rolando McClain due some jail time?

Add to that the losses of Bush and Boss from the offense and the fact that they didnt pick before the bottom of the 3rd round and I just think it could be a disappointing season for them.

It's only my opinion and not being a Raiders fan I could be way off base.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Quick one on the gamepass thing - I am moving to the UK in July, does this mean if I get gamepass I wont be able to get Red Zone?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Blured wrote: »
    Quick one on the gamepass thing - I am moving to the UK in July, does this mean if I get gamepass I wont be able to get Red Zone?

Well it depends on tv contracts this year which is yet to be sorted, but last year Red zone was unavailable in the UK.

Also a 6 day blackout for games that were shown on Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Fair enough. I'll bow to your knowledge on the Raiders.

Was Kameron Wimbley not your best (only) pass rusher?

I thought Bruce Campbell, Trevor Scott, John Henderson and CB Chris Johnson would have been fairly importants parts of the team/rotation.

Also is Rolando McClain due some jail time?

Add to that the losses of Bush and Boss from the offense and the fact that they didnt pick before the bottom of the 3rd round and I just think it could be a disappointing season for them.

It's only my opinion and not being a Raiders fan I could be way off base.

He was when Shaugnessy got injured, but he'll be back now and could do well. Wimbley was solid, but nothing amazing. 7 sacks last year with 3 coming in one game meant for the majority of the season he did have a big impact. Bruce Campbell played about 4 downs last season, if that. Trevor Scott did nothing last season as well really, 7 combined tackles for the year. Henderson is solid occasionally but he's well past it at this stage. Chris Johnson was terrible last year, delighted he is gone and Bartell/Spence are upgrades over him. McClain trial isn't until December so if he gets jail time he'll miss the play-offs/last couple of games at most.

The loss of Boss won't be that bad. He had only 348 yards last year which wasn't great at all. Also not sure why you are ignoring the fact that having Palmer playing with a full off-season and TC under his belt will not be a huge improvement on him coming in and playing off his couch. That positive far outweights the negatives of losing bit part players. The draft picks are hugely overhyped. It's rare 1st or second round picks make a big impact in there rookie year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Some great news today, the NFL have announced they are making coaches film available to fans. It'll be included on the premium Game Rewind package.

It's the exact same footage that teams use to prepare for games. Any time you've heard a coach or player talk about watching "a lot of tape" - this is what they've been talking about. Only the teams and NFL films have had access to it until now. It's basically two camera angles - a sideline and an endzone - that are placed a lot higher than regular broadcast cameras so you can see all 22 players at the same time. Should make good viewing for football nerds! :cool:

This is going to be so amazing. It should really help the quality of blogs this year.

And just when I was thinking about not signing up for any of the streaming services.

He was when Shaugnessy got injured, but he'll be back now and could do well. Wimbley was solid, but nothing amazing. 7 sacks last year with 3 coming in one game meant for the majority of the season he did have a big impact. Bruce Campbell played about 4 downs last season, if that. Trevor Scott did nothing last season as well really, 7 combined tackles for the year. Henderson is solid occasionally but he's well past it at this stage. Chris Johnson was terrible last year, delighted he is gone and Bartell/Spence are upgrades over him. McClain trial isn't until December so if he gets jail time he'll miss the play-offs/last couple of games at most.

The loss of Boss won't be that bad. He had only 348 yards last year which wasn't great at all. Also not sure why you are ignoring the fact that having Palmer playing with a full off-season and TC under his belt will not be a huge improvement on him coming in and playing off his couch. That positive far outweights the negatives of losing bit part players. The draft picks are hugely overhyped. It's rare 1st or second round picks make a big impact in there rookie year.

Yea fair enough. You make good points.

I'll stand by my opinion and will happily admit i'm wrong later in the season if thats the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Masked Man wrote: »
    And just when I was thinking about not signing up for any of the streaming services.

As usual, the NFL are one step ahead in their services for fans. Whatever about football policy and rulings which we may give them (justifiable) grief over, what they offer the fans is nothing but the best and there's not a sports league in the world more in touch with what the fans want than the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Don't care about redzone, but if there is a 6 day blackout for games on sky then it's not worth it because they still charge full price.

What does a 6 day blackout mean? Games show on Sky wont be on Redzone for 6days??

What does a 6 day blackout mean? Games show on Sky wont be on Redzone for 6days??

You can't see red zone at all.

Games that Sky show live on Sunday can't be watched on gamepass until the following Friday.

This is in the UK, and only based on what happened last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,184 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If anyone wants a pay site to watch all the NFL and all other sports on PM me. Don't think we can post that stuff in here either like in the Soccer forum. Registration is temporary open according to the sites twitter. This site is LOF and FSS on crack.

Sorry mods if even this is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I was reading the ESPN NFL blog just there and there was something about David Garrard which got me thinking- Is this guy seriously underrated? He made the Jaguars look like an above average offense in 2010, and when he left, despite a great year for MJD, the offense was a disaster, especially the QB position. I really hope he can somehow win the QB battle in Miami to see what he can do with them.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I was reading the ESPN NFL blog just there and there was something about David Garrard which got me thinking- Is this guy seriously underrated? He made the Jaguars look like an above average offense in 2010, and when he left, despite a great year for MJD, the offense was a disaster, especially the QB position. I really hope he can somehow win the QB battle in Miami to see what he can do with them.

surely any QB would have looked good in comparison to Gabbert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

matthew8 wrote: »

He seem's competent but i doubt he got offers last year, he was injured at the start of last season right? He could win out in camp against Matt Moore in Miami you never know. I don't see how the phins can play Tannehill from the start.

He seem's competent but i doubt he got offers last year, he was injured at the start of last season right? He could win out in camp against Matt Moore in Miami you never know. I don't see how the phins can play Tannehill from the start.

did his back in and the Jaguars seemingly lied about how bad it was to him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

NJ man arrested in mother’s closet after calling police, demanding to speak to Tim Tebow:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/20/nj-man-arrested-in-mothers-closet-after-calling-police-demanding-to-speak-to-tim-tebow/

:pac:

Percy Harvin has requested a trade from the Vikings...

on a separate note i thought this interaction was quite funny:

Reporter: Is Donald Brown a 3 down back?

Pagano: Yes.

Reporter: Really?

Pagano: Not three downs IN A ROW.

Percy Harvin has requested a trade from the Vikings...

His injury record would make teams very wary of trading for him I imagine.

If the price was right I imagine someone like The Rams (need and extra draft picks) would be an obvious spot.

on a separate note i thought this interaction was quite funny:

Reporter: Is Donald Brown a 3 down back?

Pagano: Yes.

Reporter: Really?

Pagano: Not three downs IN A ROW.

Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

^^^ Nice story but Jacobs only gave him a $5 bill ?? :eek:

I was hoping to read at the end that Jacobs had bought the lad a rake of new toys or bought him tickets or even given him a hundred dollars but seriously, $5 ?

I know it's a lot to a 6 year old but come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I reckon ESPN need to do something given they have lost the EPL rights from 2013 onwards.

NFL rights would be the Cumman na mBuscoil of rights compared to the English Priemer League, they could only be used as night-time fillers in most cases outside of the early Sunday games.

Really doesn't matter which pay-provider has NFL rights to me now that ESPN is locked in with Sky Sports as a full package. Long may it stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Notre Dame is playing a game in Dublin this fall and it has already sold out. Obviously a team named the Fighting Irish has particular cachet in a country filled with Irish who sometimes fight, but the London experience has definitely shown an interest in the NFL on that side of the pond.

This writer better stick to his sportswriting as he has no career in travel writing.
    involved if and when the NFL comes to the land of Guinness and James Joyce.

I could possible see another pre-season game coming over, although in August could calsh heavily with the GAA Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Story from NFL.com about regular season game in Ireland

Nothing really new except that a regular season game is mentioned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement