Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

CoachTO wrote: »
    I went out with a bang for the sh1ts and giggles and even told some of the lads I was doing it.

Throw a tantrum and claim it was a joke afterwards. I wonder where I've heard that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Arawn wrote: »
    tbh its expected you never hear of nfl teams in serious financial trouble, where as barca had to get a massive loan and new sponser the other year.

The panthers are the shock tbh!

Yeah I was very surprised to see the Panthers that high up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Bet you'll think twice before posting a Spygate article next time Paully! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

matthew8 wrote: »
    I went out with a bang for the sh1ts and giggles and even told some of the lads I was doing it.

Throw a tantrum and claim it was a joke afterwards. I wonder where I've heard that before.

Awe look at you confusing two very different things as the same thing so you can continue looking silly.

As for the sense of humour thing yeah alright dude you caught me out. You keep being wrong and i will keep pointing it out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

nerd69 wrote: »
    iv kina lost track of what the arguments about there seems to be 3 or 4 going on simultaneously

on a different note who else hates that the spell between the draft and the start of the season is so painfully long nba cant fill the void soccer bores the bejesus outa me (although the euros will be worth watching) and munster are out of the heineken cup anyone got any suggestions goin abroad for june so thats one month other than that the nfl offseason leaves a void and nothing else is quite the same

CFL starts in June :D
    Hazys wrote: »

I said:
    with facts proving there was no walkthrough tape.

In fairness this is circumstantional at best, its all based on the word of 2 men. Why did he backtrack when questioned by Goddell? Couldn't he easily have lied the second time aroudn like it seems he easily lied the first time around?
    The details of the spygate are irrelevant as no matter how its defended or perceived the doubt is still there. It pains as a Pats fan to say that but that is truth of it.

This is the crux of the issue and is from my point what Harbaugh was really intending to say. Nobody will ever know 100% all facts and facets but that skepticism is there and its in going to be in the history books so unfortunately Pats fans are going to have to deal with it every season it gets brought up and thrown in their face.

Do I remember a story back from the Man United V Chelsea UCL Final about Chelsea hiring a private plan to do fly overs of Carrington to get info on United's team? Or did I jsut dream that up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Eagle eye your far to defensive on this! Main thing here, the Pats Superbowls are slighted tainted. Rightly or wrongly . Get over it stop screaming down people's monitors because of that.

P.S im a jets fan so clearly biased but I like CoachTO's comments . Sensible argument but will not defend the Patriots in 'spygate' to the hilt.

P.P.S CoachTO ,, mattew8 is tongue and cheek. He's taken over the raiders in the franchise and he's the reincarnation of Al Davis in the forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The fact is that between experts and idiots there exists a large proportion of people who will forever see the SB's as tainted.

Fact? Sorry that's not a fact, but merely a prejudicial opinion held on your part. While such an opinion is indeed your right to have, it's better not to state it as a fact when it clearly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Neil Reynolds ‏ @neilreynoldsnfl
    This week 6 yrs ago Vince Young was lauded as star of future in Tennessee. Now bouncing around trying to win a backup QB job. Quite the fall

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Eric LaGrande signed by the Bucs. Nice gesture from the franchise and Schiano.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Serious respect for the Bucs for doing this :)
    From Schefter
    Class story of day: Buccaneers announced today that they signed former Rutgers DT Eric LeGrand, who was paralyzed in 2010.
    NEWS: Tampa Bay Buccaneers announce that they signed college free agent DT Eric LeGrand from Rutgers University. On October 16, 2010, in a game against Army during his junior season, LeGrand suffered fractures of two vertebrae and a serious spinal cord injury that left him paralyzed. “Leading up to the draft, I couldn’t help but think that this should’ve been Eric’s draft class,” said Coach Schiano. “This small gesture is the least we could do to recognize his character, spirit, and perseverance. The way Eric lives his life epitomizes what we are looking for in Buccaneer Men.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Eric LaGrande signed by the Bucs. Nice gesture from the franchise and Schiano.

Thats really cool. Fair play to Schiano and best of luck to LaGrande. From what i've seen from the documentaries on him, he's one determined son of a b****...he'll walk again.

TBF Eli's last post to me (aka the valid point you mention) had nothing to do with what the original argument Eli and myself were having.

Last Post? The one I quoted was the 2nd post he made after spygate was mentioned. EE jumped down his throat after the first post Eli made and you jumped in shortly after what I quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Last Post? The one I quoted was the 2nd post he made after spygate was mentioned. EE jumped down his throat after the first post Eli made and you jumped in shortly after what I quoted.

I took exception to this point of Eli's and this was the scope of the argument with me:
    Eagle Eye, your using opinion to try and state facts. Allegations were made in reference to the Rams walkthrough. This was never proven but it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I debated the above point and then Eli added in his last post to me, a point that had nothing to do with what him & I were arguing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

TMZ (though hardly the most reliable source on the planet) is reporting that legendary Chargers and Patriots Linebacker Junior Seau has been involved in a shooting at his home in Oceanside, California. Speculation is that he has committed suicide. All over twitter now too :(

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/02/junior-seau-shooting-police/#.T6F4p7PLxYw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

This is absolutely awful. One of the best linebackers to ever play the game and a Patriots hero. So upsetting :(

spiralism wrote: »
    TMZ (though hardly the most reliable source on the planet) is reporting that legendary Chargers and Patriots Linebacker Junior Seau has been involved in a shooting at his home in Oceanside, California. Speculation is that he has committed suicide. All over twitter now too :(

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/02/junior-seau-shooting-police/#.T6F4p7PLxYw

Thats sad :( He has had problems back in 2010 he was arrested for Domestic Violence and then crashed his car a few hours after his release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Fact? Sorry that's not a fact, but merely a prejudicial opinion held on your part. While such an opinion is indeed your right to have, it's better not to state it as a fact when it clearly isn't.

Are you saying that a lot of people don't feel this way? Because I know a good few. It's a fact that a lot of people feel like this.
    I took exception to this point of Eli's and this was the scope of the argument with me:

I debated the above point and then Eli added in his last post to me, a point that had nothing to do with what him & I were arguing about.

You and I were never arguing or debating. You jumped down my neck about a point I made which perhaps wasn't 100% accurate. Never the less you were very precious about it. You continued to personally insult me.

I don't know 100% of what happened with the Rams Walkthrough but neither do you.

I'm done with you and your ilk on here. It wasn't only me who saw how childishly agitated you became and how you are self-righteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

81-90 for the NFL top 100 players has been released. Poor that Hakeem Nicks is on listed at 90.

I know i'm prob biased but he is probably the 4th/5th best WR in the NFL. Outside the Big 3 Larry/Megatron/Dre, I dont know of many better WR's than him.

Boooo NFL players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

HigginsJ wrote: »
    81-90 for the NFL top 100 players has been released. Poor that Hakeem Nicks is on listed at 90.

I know i'm prob biased but he is probably the 4th/5th best WR in the NFL. Outside the Big 3 Larry/Megatron/Dre, I dont know of many better WR's than him.

Boooo NFL players.

i would put him up around 5th in receivers but i dont think hes an elite player if wilfork is this low nicks is lucky to be in it

Boooo NFL players.

Jennings, Wallace, DJax, Wayne, Harvin, Cruz, Lloyd, Colston, Smith, VJ, Boldin, Bowe...i can think of a few. Cruz is better than him, he's not even the best WR on his team imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Nicks is top 5 for me but I guess he's another player who breaks opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Jennings, Wallace, DJax, Wayne, Harvin, Cruz, Lloyd, Colston, Smith, VJ, Boldin, Bowe...i can think of a few. Cruz is better than him, he's not even the best WR on his team imo.

:eek:

None of those have shown over an extended period to be even in the discussion of being better than Nicks besides DeSean Jackson, who pretty much imploded last season, and Reggie Wayne, who is clearly past his peak and staring down the slope.

Jennings, Wallace, DJax, Wayne, Harvin, Cruz, Lloyd, Colston, Smith, VJ, Boldin,Bowe ...i can think of a few. Cruz is better than him, he's not even the best WR on his team imo.

Nicks is the Giants No.1 WR. No arguments. He was a beast when it really mattered in the playoffs. He does it all. Slot, Deep threat and a great Red Zone target.

Wallace & Bowe are def top 10 WR's but Nicks is a more complete player imo. Your joking wit the rest on the list being in Nicks class. Smith used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Paully D wrote: »
    http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2012/05/01/revealed-the-worlds-best-paid-teams-man-city-close-in-on-barca-and-real-madrid-010501/

The worlds best paid sports teams. Interesting enough you have to go to number 75 before coming to an NFL team, which is the Steelers. Raiders are next best paid at 80, before (and this one surprised me) the Panthers at 95.

Top 5 highest paid NFL teams:

1) Steelers
    2) Raiders
    3) Panthers
    4) Jets
    5) Giants

Bottom 5:

32) Bengals
    31) Titans
    29) Redskins
    28) Chiefs
    27) Buccs

Any surprises in there for you?

Very encouraging if your a Bengals fan. Bottom 5 salary in the league and a playoff team last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

How come the Panthers top 5?

Newton is on a low enough salary.
    Beason and Gross im sure on decent money.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    How come the Panthers top 5?

Newton is on a low enough salary.
    Beason and Gross im sure on decent money.

Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams both on big contracts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,771 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nicks is the Giants No.1 WR. No arguments. He was a beast when it really mattered in the playoffs. He does it all. Slot, Deep threat and a great Red Zone target.

Wallace & Bowe are def top 10 WR's but Nicks is a more complete player imo. Your joking wit the rest on the list being in Nicks class. Smith used to be.
    You can argue both ways on this due to Nicks having missed a lot of games in his young career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Syferus wrote: »

None of those have shown over an extended period to be even in the discussion of being better than Nicks besides DeSean Jackson, who pretty much imploded last season, and Reggie Wayne, who is clearly past his peak and staring down the slope.

Wayne hasnt shown over an extended period of time???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

!

• Advertisement

Wallace is around as long and has contributed at least as much. Wayne has put up stellar numbers through his career and still put up good numbers with a shower of losers at QB on an awful side. DJax is a better deep threat and return man, Harvin is better all around and is a star on a poor side, Lloyd has put up ridiculous numbers the past two years with Orton and Bradford and Cruz was his teams best WR last year in terms of yardage and TDs.

Dunno how you can talk about extended period since Nicks isnt in the game longer than any of those bar Cruz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement