Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

tbh its expected you never hear of nfl teams in serious financial trouble, where as barca had to get a massive loan and new sponser the other year.

The panthers are the shock tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Eagle Eye, your using opinion to try and state facts. Allegations were made in reference to the Rams walkthrough. This was never proven but it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Where do people get this sh1te?
    Walsh told Goodell in the meeting that there was no tape of the Rams' walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI, that nobody asked Walsh to tape it, and that Walsh was not aware of anyone else who had taped it.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...ng_procedures/

The Rams performed their final walkthrough on the pitch right next to where the Patriots staff where walking around in full Patriots attire including Matt Walsh. They didnt tape the walkthrough and even if they did, it would have been the Rams' stupidity for letting them do so.

Like i posted in the Bountygate thread where somebody tried to argue Spygate was worse...There is a severe lack of knowledge and ignorance among non-Pats fans about Spygate.

Also welcome back TO.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,867 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Eagle Eye, your using opinion to try and state facts.
    Are you are talking about the opinions of Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cowher?

Read what Hazys put up there too.

What were the Patriots punished for? You tell me that, its in what I posted and its quite clear. Its not opinion based. Why it go so big is opinion based but thats it.

I don't understand how that 100% proves it never happened. I'm not saying it did, but a lot of people think it did. A few of the allegations were a bit strange eg. Detriot Lions 3-13.

Because Matt Walsh was the person who told ESPN and the Boston Herald that Pats taped the walkthrough and when confronted by Goodell he backtracked...wtf more do you want?

I'm out on talking about Spygate....the ignorance is too much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Paully D wrote: »
    Any surprises in there for you?

Biggest surprise for me is that West Ham are above the Packers, Eagles, Saints, Patriots and Bears amongst others, and that they think West Ham are an EPL team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are you are talking about the opinions of Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cowher?

Read what Hazys put up there too.

What were the Patriots punished for? You tell me that, its in what I posted and its quite clear. Its not opinion based. Why it go so big is opinion based but thats it.

Hazy deleted his post so it looks like a pre-responded :D

I've made my point clear on the matter and have tried to be very concise and clear on why I think, along with many other people, that there is a shadow around the SBs.

The Packers caught a NE employee illegally videotaping who was removed, when the Jets reported it again it was finally investigated. I don't see how you can't define that in itself as cheating as it created an unfair advantage.

Whether an advantage was actually gained is another question. However, it is still "cheating".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

mayordenis wrote: »
    Biggest surprise for me is that West Ham are above the Packers, Eagles, Saints, Patriots and Bears amongst others, and that they think West Ham are an EPL team.

Biggest surprise for me is that ALL NBA teams are better paid than the top NFL team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

matthew8 wrote: »
    You are the one without a clue. The fines were kicked off by a few illegal hits on defenseless receivers. One of them was a Brandon Meriweather hit on Todd Heap which was helmet to helmet. You clearly don't care about that though. It's not like he's Tom Brady or anything.

You tried to be smart using Brandon Merriweather and you were wrong of my opinion on his hit with Heap. I told you to look up my opinion of that hit. Merriweather is scum and was rightly turfed from NE. I never disagreed or agreed with you on that his one was one of the first that sparked fines but it does lead to the irony of guys tackling leading with their heads. And as I told you already you have the clear inept ability to see the bigger picture on the flaw in Fundamentals and accept leading with ones head is wrong. There are many studies and articles out there. It was easy for the NFL to pick on the head to head ones first.
    I guess I was making up the fact that players a seldom if ever fined for leading with the helmet on a player who isn't a defenseless receiver or QB behind the line of scrimmage.

Still missing the bigger picture and what I wrote but you will never get it because all you can do is throw complete random info out there to try prove a guy leading with his helmet isnt doing anything wrong. Mad thing is you dont see the irony to what you are throwing out there.
    You also don't seem to get humour. "Coincidence? I THINK NOT." Who the hell talks like that when trying to make a point? The funny thing is I think spygate is massively overblown, but you could convince anyone that they are arguing against you.

Yeah alright dude keep banging the I was trying to be funny drum.

Hazy deleted his post so it looks like a pre-responded :D

I've made my point clear on the matter and have tried to be very concise and clear on why I think, along with many other people, that there is a shadow around the SBs.

The Packers caught a NE employee illegally videotaping who was removed, when the Jets reported it again it was finally investigated. I don't see how you can't define that in itself as cheating as it created an unfair advantage.

Whether an advantage was actually gained is another question. However, it is still "cheating".
    What about the Dolphins? They did it but they were told it was ok but then Goodell goes and looks at tapes made by the Patriots before the Dolphins did it. How is that fair?
    Why wasn't there an investigation into the spying at the Patriots walkthrough in 2002?
    Give me solid answers to those questions please.

What about Cowher taking the side of the Patriots. Does that put a tinge on their Superbowl win too?

What about the Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson, are their Superbowl wins under him tainted too?

Hazys wrote: »
    Because Matt Walsh was the person who told ESPN and the Boston Herald that Pats taped the walkthrough and when confronted by Goodell he backtracked...wtf more do you want?

I'm out on talking about Spygate....the ignorance is too much.

You're clearly missing the point that the allegations and investigation created a cloud. Rightly or wrongly this is a fact.

I don't see why people fail to grasp that point.

Ignorance is bliss in this case. Fingers in your ears stuff.

• Advertisement

Right, this is getting really stupid.

I'm not going to bother discussing this anymore.

You can't say anything about the Pats here. Point taken.

It's funny how self righteous some Irish Pats fans are. Calling me ignorant, stupid etc.

I'm out. No point in discussing this with people who are completely unwilling to accept that a doubt has been casted as a result of allegations against NE. Rightly or wrongly, this is the case.

It's funny how self righteous some Irish Pats fans are. Calling me ignorant, stupid etc.

I'm out. No point in discussing this with people who are completely unwilling to accept that a doubt has been casted as a result of allegations against NE. Rightly or wrongly, this is the case.

Don't write off all Pats fans. We don't all share the same opinions. There is ignorance on both sides of the coin but I do agree with you whether right or wrong the spygate be one of those things that will always cast a shadow of doubt on the Pats success in their 3 bowls especially the first one. The details of the spygate are irrelevant as no matter how its defended or perceived the doubt is still there. It pains as a Pats fan to say that but that is truth of it.

CoachTO wrote: »
    Don't write off all Pats fans. We don't all share the same opinions. There is ignorance on both sides of the coin but I do agree with you whether right or wrong the spygate be one of those things that will always cast a shadow of doubt on the Pats success in their 3 bowls especially the first one. The details of the spygate are irrelevant as no matter how its defended or perceived the doubt is still there. It pains as a Pats fan to say that but that is truth of it.

I think your an excellent poster and I'm not talking about most Pats fans, I'm talking about some.

The likes of yourself, JaMarcus Hustle/Archi/Tom Brady/Cam etc. kept me interested in this forum and I hate to generalise anyway but it's just a small few fans who think they are better than me for no reason.

Most of my friends that like NFL are Pats fans anyway.

Can't we all just get along? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Still on about Spygate?

It happened. It's in the past. The Patriots were proven to be wrong for what they did, but there's a fair chance other sides did it.

Back to 2012?

I noticed you decided you were out when I asked you some questions which you didn't respond to. You just run off and say that you can't talk about this with Pats fans.
    I seen you posting on the other forum that Foster is a better keeper than Hart. Always at it and when you get found out you run off and find some excuse to get out of the discussion.

There has been stupid stuff going on here tonight but its all been coming from you and Matthew8.

I noticed you decided you were out when I asked you some questions which you didn't respond to. You just run off and say that you can't talk about this with Pats fans.
    I seen you posting on the other forum that Foster is a better keeper than Hart. Always at it and when you get found out you run off and find some excuse to get out of the discussion.

There has been stupid stuff going on here tonight but its all been coming from you and Matthew8.

Your talking about two other franchises now, nothing to do with Spygate, that's why.

So I think Hart is over-rated and that Foster is a better keeper. What's that got to do with the NFL or Spygate?

Your taking this way to personally. The majority of Pats fans like any other fans are fine to talk with. It's the likes of you that just see this infallible entity that exists which can do no wrong that are the problem.

Maybe I'm wrong about Ben Foster. So what? I'm not going to be right 100% of the time, nobody is. I won't let that bother me though.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Biggest surprise for me is that ALL NBA teams are better paid than the top NFL team.

Not really, NBA have way more games. NFL 8 home games a year, very max is 2 extra via playoffs. Merchandising obviously counts for a lot but then so does merchandising in NBA. Tv rights? I'm not sure exactly but I'd say NBA has a tv deal not that far off NFL.

Last year the Miami Heat had 41 home games in their 19,600 seater stadium. THey also had 21 playoff games, I'm not gonna check the exact home and away percentages but I'm gonna assume they had an extra 9. That gives us a lovely round figure of 50 home games for the season.

Miami Dolphins 8 home games at 75,000 seater Sun Life stadium = 600,000 tickets sold if every home game sold out. Let's say an average of $75 dollars per ticket. $45 million.

Now Heat. 50 home games at 19,600 American Airlines Arena = 980000. Again $75 dollar ticket. $73.5 million. Now certainly some scope for differences in the variables.

How and ever that's and extra $28 million home game revenue for the Heat. Roughly of course.

Then there is the deep rosters in the NFL and not so deep rosters in the NBA. Heat currently have 15, Dolphins have 53. More players means you've got to spend more money.

Salary cap also reduces the amount that NFL teams can spend considerably.

So it all makes since really when you think about it.

The whole matchday income also explains how baseball contracts are the richest in sport. Witness Prince Fielder getting a 9 year $214 million dollar contract for the Detroit Tigers this year.

Your talking about two other franchises now, nothing to do with Spygate, that's why.

So I think Hart is over-rated and that Foster is a better keeper. What's that got to do with the NFL or Spygate?

Your taking this way to personally. The majority of Pats fans like any other fans are fine to talk with. It's the likes of you that just see this infallible entity that exists which can do no wrong that are the problem.

Maybe I'm wrong about Ben Foster. So what? I'm not going to be right 100% of the time, nobody is. I won't let that bother me though.
    So you just won't answer the questions then. I see, just too difficult for you to make any spin answering straight questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

So you just won't answer the questions then. I see, just too difficult for you to make any spin answering straight questions.

Ha dude your questions are irrelevant. They don't relate to Spygate. I'm not going to argue this with you all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

iv kina lost track of what the arguments about there seems to be 3 or 4 going on simultaneously

on a different note who else hates that the spell between the draft and the start of the season is so painfully long nba cant fill the void soccer bores the bejesus outa me (although the euros will be worth watching) and munster are out of the heineken cup anyone got any suggestions goin abroad for june so thats one month other than that the nfl offseason leaves a void and nothing else is quite the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

nerd69 wrote: »
    iv kina lost track of what the arguments about there seems to be 3 or 4 going on simultaneously

on a different note who else hates that the spell between the draft and the start of the season is so painfully long nba cant fill the void soccer bores the bejesus outa me (although the euros will be worth watching) and munster are out of the heineken cup anyone got any suggestions goin abroad for june so thats one month other than that the nfl offseason leaves a void and nothing else is quite the same

Nothing beats a good book if you ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

Nothing beats a good book if you ask me :)

currently in the middle of raymond e fiests books (on about book 9 highly recommended if your into fantasy) but theres only so much reading you can do if i go over 2 hours my eyes go to sleep nothing quite like the nfl for news stories

You're clearly missing the point that the allegations and investigation created a cloud. Rightly or wrongly this is a fact.

I don't see why people fail to grasp that point.

Ignorance is bliss in this case. Fingers in your ears stuff.

I should really let this go but the above post has to be a joke.

I missed the point? you just randomly decided to change the point to suit your argument.

Lets recap:

You said:
    Allegations were made in reference to the Rams walkthrough. This was never proven but it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I said:
    Where do people get this sh1te?
    with facts proving there was no walkthrough tape.

You said:
    I don't understand how that 100% proves it never happened.

I said:

Then you quote me saying i missed the point when you just randomly start talking about clouds, instead of the accusations you made saying it was never disproven that there was no walkthrough tape.

Yeah Hazys I can understand, this guy is just full of ****e and then when he is found out he just moves the goalposts and tries to save face before he runs off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Jesus guys, everyone isn't out to get you. Calm the hell down.

Eagle Eye and Hazys while I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying both of you actually missed Eli's point in the first place.

EE for some reason you created the argument and to be honest with you in the past me and you have gone at it but Eli brought up spygate here and it was a valid point and its hard to see where your previous beef with him comes from:
    I'll remember this era of the Patriots as being one of the greatest teams in the history of the NFL. However, there will always be Spygate, that, is why IMO, the superbowls will be tainted. But so what? You obviously don't care about Spygate.

He makes a good point. Ignoring all the details and what ifs and the if it was true or untrue or any of those details no matter how many times us Pats fans defend it spygate will hang over the Pats like a bad smell to a lot of people. The mere fact you guys are debating it shows us all that.

Personally the posters I dont like are the ones who bring it up get stung then pretend they were joking when they get a rise. But at least in Eli's post he made a good point and for whatever reason it spiraled from there.

Whether we like it or not. Innocent or guilty, no details half details or full details it will always hang over the Pats for many people including pundits and ex players and coaches and current players and coaches. Arguing the details of it over and over will never resolves anything really.

Syferus wrote: »
    Jesus guys, everyone isn't out to get you. Calm the hell down.

Telling people to calm down on the internet is as pointless as condom with a hole in it. Good to see you are still keeping it real as Captain Morality though.

Eagle Eye and Hazys while I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying both of you actually missed Eli's point in the first place.

EE for some reason you created the argument and to be honest with you in the past me and you have gone at it but Eli brought up spygate here and it was a valid point and its hard to see where your previous beef with him comes from:

He makes a good point. Ignoring all the details and what ifs and the if it was true or untrue or any of those details no matter how many times us Pats fans defend it spygate will hang over the Pats like a bad smell to a lot of people. The mere fact you guys are debating it shows us all that.

Personally the posters I dont like are the ones who bring it up get stung then pretend they were joking when they get a rise. But at least in Eli's post he made a good point and for whatever reason it spiraled from there.

Whether we like it or not. Innocent or guilty, no details half details or full details it will always hang over the Pats for many people including pundits and ex players and coaches and current players and coaches. Arguing the details of it over and over will never resolves anything really.

TBF Eli's last post to me (aka the valid point you mention) had nothing to do with what the original argument Eli and myself were having.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

You have absolutely no sense of humour. Get one. Even when I try to be on the same side as you you find a way to piss me off. You should see my posting in the madden forum. Half the time I'm taking the piss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement