Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

CoachTO wrote: »
    Whatever about hitting someone the manner in how he hit was stupid at best for a guy like Ray Lewis. Leading with your head low into the back of an opponent. Many things could have gone wrong there. Lewis with a broken neck/spine or Tom Brady with a broken spine. He may have the utmost respect for Brady but with a game like that being as tense as it was players do stupid things and in this instance that was stupid of Lewis.

It looked to me as though Ray Lewis' shoulder hit Brady first, but the angle isn't great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Pretty sure he is referring to Matthew8 comments more than yours.

Ok.

In reference to the Ray Lewis hit it looks horrible and stupid when it's slowed down.

brady6.gif

I don't think Lewis would try to injure Brady though. His shoulder makes first contact.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Insults? I've only tried to state facts and my intrepretation of the facts. The only people being senssitive are the people who have there head in the sand.

Why the feeling of opression? Can't people discuss the facts?

I've no issue discussing facts. My post was made in relation to matthew8, who I replied to with facts, but he has ignored since. Much like most discussions on here, people will randomly fire out rubbish, someone tries to discuss something, and they just ignore it or play dumb on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

matthew8 wrote: »
    It looked to me as though Ray Lewis' shoulder hit Brady first, but the angle isn't great.

You are nuts if you think his shoulder led first there.

Edit: Eli getting there before me with that gif.

bruschi wrote: »
    I've no issue discussing facts. My post was made in relation to matthew8, who I replied to with facts, but he has ignored since. Much like most discussions on here, people will randomly fire out rubbish, someone tries to discuss something, and they just ignore it or play dumb on it.

And you've ignored me saying it was a joke. I thought it was pretty clear from the way I phrased it. The Patriots haven't been getting much luck since spygate, apart from against the Ravens.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »

Ok, fair enough.

Edit Eli getting there before me with that gif.

It looks to me like shoulder becuase Brady falls awkwardly. Either way it's dangerous.

Edit: Eli getting there before me with that gif.

From that gif it is clear his helmet hits first, but you can't place all the blame on Lewis. Brady took a health risk with that play because he felt it would get him to the SB, and it did. And for Lewis, that play was a huge factor in whether they got to the superbowl, and they let in a TD, so of course he'd be angry one second after the score. Had Suggs made the hit I'd call it dirty but justified considering past events.

And you've ignored me saying it was a joke. I thought it was pretty clear from the way I phrased it. The Patriots haven't been getting much luck since spygate, apart from against the Ravens.

Saying its a joke in hindsight is far too common around here. Drag someone into a debate then when it doesn't go your way and people get fired up claim it as a joke. Not the first time you have done it either and you arent alone. Its madness around these here parts.

And the Pats aren't getting much luck? Ah for fook sake just stop will you. The sad part is with people claiming the Pats not cheating in either bowl to win in the last two is actually an insult to the Giants as well. Eli and Tyree making an insane throw and catch with that Defense making hard work for Brady in the first and then Manninghams insane catch in the 2nd getting that long first down. No cheating in the world would have stopped either moments or how hard the Giants played. But hey you keep banging the stupid drum.

From that gif it is clear his helmet hits first, but you can't place all the blame on Lewis. Brady took a health risk with that play because he felt it would get him to the SB, and it did. And for Lewis, that play was a huge factor in whether they got to the superbowl, and they let in a TD, so of course he'd be angry one second after the score. Had Suggs made the hit I'd call it dirty but justified considering past events.

Are you kidding me? Risk or not by Brady a player should never lead with his head and EVERYONE knows that. It is dangerous and stupid at best. Had Lewis broke his neck would you have blamed Brady for Lewis own stupidity?

I think I'm going blind. That second gif clearly shows Lewis' helmet htting Brady in the lower back or buttocks.

Surprised it wasn't flagged.

• Advertisement

Saying its a joke in hindsight is far too common around here. Drag someone into a debate then when it doesn't go your way and people get fired up claim it as a joke. Not the first time you have done it either and you arent alone. Its madness around these here parts.
    Why would I use all caps if I was trying to make a point?
    And the Pats aren't getting much luck? Ah for fook sake just stop will you. The sad part is with people claiming the Pats not cheating in either bowl to win in the last two is actually an insult to the Giants as well. Eli and Tyree making an insane throw and catch with that Defense making hard work for Brady in the first and then Manninghams insane catch in the 2nd getting that long first down. No cheating in the world would have stopped either moments or how hard the Giants played. But hey you keep banging the stupid drum.
    What is this supposed to mean? The Patriots had luck on their side for the first three superbowls, you need some luck, since then they haven't been getting much luck. Luck can be a pass rusher slipping off, a jumped quick slant taken for a pick six, a 45 yard field goal in horrible conditions.

Are you kidding me? Risk or not by Brady a player should never lead with his head and EVERYONE knows that. It is dangerous and stupid at best. Had Lewis broke his neck would you have blamed Brady for Lewis own stupidity?

Jesus christ you're complaining about players leading with their heads. Why don't you complain about the other 9000 times? Once you're over the line of scrimmage you're fair game.

Why would I use all caps if I was trying to make a point?

What is this supposed to mean? The Patriots had luck on their side for the first three superbowls, you need some luck, since then they haven't been getting much luck. Luck can be a pass rusher slipping off, a jumped quick slant taken for a pick six, a 45 yard field goal in horrible conditions.

You are seriously reaching now and once again you have proven that entering debate or conversation with you is pointless.

Jesus christ you're complaining about players leading with their heads. Why don't you complain about the other 9000 times? Once you're over the line of scrimmage you're fair game.

And this right here folks sums up Matthew8 lack of knowledge of the game. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The NFL have been dishing out fines for the last 2 seasons for the exact reasons I have mentioned but it seems you were living under a rock hey good man. If you honestly think leading with your helmet is the right thing to do then well I guess the conversation is over.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Week 3 of the regular season could be an interesting night on here :D

And this right here folks sums up Matthew8 lack of knowledge of the game. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The NFL have been dishing out fines for the last 2 seasons for the exact reasons I have mentioned but it seems you were living under a rock hey good man. If you honestly think leading with your helmet is the right thing to do then well I guess the conversation is over.:rolleyes:

The NFL has dished out fines for leading with the helmet against QBs trying to throw the ball. They have only given fines to players over the line of scrimmage when it's helmet to helmet on defenseless receivers. Of course if a defender tackles Tom Brady over the line of scrimmage usually a flag is in order.

The NFL has dished out fines for leading with the helmet against QBs trying to throw the ball.

They have only given fines to players over the line of scrimmage when it's helmet to helmet on defenseless receivers. Of course if a defender tackles Tom Brady over the line of scrimmage usually a flag is in order.

You seriously haven't a clue and you are clearly missing the point of the NFL fines. The aim is to stamp out helmet to helmet hits and guys leading with their heads. They aren't alone the NHFS and NCAA are also trying to stamp them out hence the heads up campaigns over the years. Helmet to helmet on QBs and Defenseless WR are the easier ones to pick out as lets face it everyone can hear and see them happen. Dude just stop debating now you clearly haven't a clue.

As someone who coaches in the game leading with your head is dangerous at best especially if you are leading with your head down. Head to head contact plays a major part in leading with ones head also.

Seems you need to be educated:

Paully D wrote: »
    Week 3 of the regular season could be an interesting night on here :D

When's the last time we played the Patriots at home? MNF classic during 16-0? Ravens-Patriots always a classic, I just wish they were the ones dropping the passes and blowing the 10 point leads.

You seriously haven't a clue and you are clearly missing the point of the NFL fines. The aim is to stamp out helmet to helmet hits and guys leading with their heads. They aren't alone the NHFS and NCAA are also trying to stamp them out hence the heads up campaigns over the years. Helmet to helmet on QBs and Defenseless WR are the easier ones to pick out as lets face it everyone can hear and see them happen. Dude just stop debating now you clearly haven't a clue.

You are the one without a clue. The fines were kicked off by a few illegal hits on defenseless receivers. One of them was a Brandon Meriweather hit on Todd Heap which was helmet to helmet. You clearly don't care about that though. It's not like he's Tom Brady or anything.

You are the one without a clue. The fines were kicked off by a few illegal hits on defenseless receivers. One of them was a Brandon Meriweather hit on Todd Heap which was helmet to helmet. You clearly don't care about that though. It's not like he's Tom Brady or anything.

Yeah I havent a clue :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78452115&postcount=3048

Go back here and educate yourself for the bigger picture. Concussions are a major problem right now hence why the main focus is on Helmet to helmet clashes but keeping your head up is a fundamental that every player should know and it plays right into most of the hits made by guys leading with their heads on QB and WR.

As for the bit in bold. Go to my old username Tallaghtoutlaws and google Merriweathers hit and you can see what I said about the scumbag hit he made. Once again you are talking sh1te.

• Advertisement

Well well well mister tallaghtoutlaws, the guy who threw a tantrum when someone disagreed with him and left. Had I known you were coachTO I would've stayed well away from trying to reason with you.

Well well well mister tallaghtoutlaws, the guy who threw a tantrum when someone disagreed with him and left. Had I known you were coachTO I would've stayed well away from trying to reason with you.

Threw a tantrum and left? Once again getting your facts wrong. Do you not hate being wrong constantly? I actually informed mods a week before that post I was leaving and a few guys on here and the day I found out I could close the account I went out with a bang for the sh1ts and giggles and even told some of the lads I was doing it.

But hey you are still coming off as the clueless one though. Once again when proper debate is put to you all you can do is sling mud and talk nonsense without ever throwing back proper facts. As for trying to reason with me yeah dude how about actually trying to use some facts to back up your answers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If noone else has said it, welcome back TO

When's the last time we played the Patriots at home? MNF classic during 16-0? Ravens-Patriots always a classic, I just wish they were the ones dropping the passes and blowing the 10 point leads.

Yep, 27-24 to New England in 2007. Billick's last season.

Went 13-3 the year before and ended up going 5-11 that year which included a 9 game losing streak.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If noone else has said it, welcome back TO

x2

Excellent poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,541 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Educate me then please. I'd love to hear this.

And don't come out with Bill won this award and the team set this record and the like.

And don't mention Bill's interpretation of the law either becuase there is a lot of delusional fans clinging onto that too.
    Well I'll give you the background to it. In 2006 Belichick made a complaint to the NFL about the Dolphins filming multiple Patriots practices and hiding cameras to steal signs.
    The NFL ruled that the Dolphins were within their rights, but then issued reminders of the rules to all teams in the offseason.
    In 2007 Belichick responded to this by putting all the Patriots camera men in orange jump suits(guantanamo bay style) with Patriots staff clearly written on them.
    All of what happened to the Patriots, all of Spygate is about one game and thats the Jets game that Mangini complained about. The media, espn in particular and some idiot journalists tried to turn this into a witchunt and include the superbowls. There is no evidence of any illegal acts by the Patriots during any of the Superbowl years. The Patriots did not do anything illegal during the Rams walkthrough in 2002. In fact it turns out now that there may have been somebody spying on the Patriots during their walkthrough before the Superbowl in 2002. The media don't want to stir the pot on this though because all the idiots who made this as big as it was painted all the Patriots opponents as super innocent and they don't want to eat their words.
    In response to Belichick's cheekiness during the 2007 season, the Jet who is Roger Goodell decided to make Spygate a lot bigger than it had to be by investigating years upon years of video tapes. In the end the Patriots were punished for one violation in that game against the Jets in 2007.
    From the NFL's Constitution & Bylaws (article 9): "Any use by any club at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which such club is a participant, of any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping, or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game."
    The New York Times reported that somebody was spying on the Patriots walkthrought before the Superbowl in 2002.
    PRO FOOTBALL: NOTEBOOK; Brady Says Ankle Is Fine

By Judy Battista
    Published: February 02, 2002

The Patriots practiced for 1 hour 54 minutes in cool temperatures at Tulane University, and every player was pronounced fit and ready to play.
    Quarterback Tom Brady moved well throughout practice and said his sprained left ankle did not bother him at all. ''On Sunday night, I expect it to be 100 percent,'' he said.
    Halfway through practice, Patriots' linebackers coach Pepper Johnson noticed something in a third-floor window of a house next to the field.
    Club and league officials said a telescope was clearly visible in the window, according to a pool report, and that 15 minutes later, a person appeared at the window, and then vanished.

Officials scanned the window with binoculars, but the person never returned.

The Patriots will have a walk-through at the Superdome on Saturday, then move from their downtown hotel that night to avoid the French Quarter madness.

St. Louis went through an abbreviated practice session at the New Orleans Saints' practice facility, working on goal-line, short-yardage and red-zone offense.
    Tackle Orlando Pace, with a strained knee, and defensive tackle Jeff Zgonina (elbow), each of whom did not practice Wednesday and Thursday, both practiced today.
    ''They're ready to play,'' Coach Mike Martz said.
    ''From a schematic standpoint, I think we're far enough along in the season that they'll be fine with all that stuff.'' Judy Battista
    This is what Bill Cowher has to say about it
    "The two AFC Championship games that we lost to the New England Patriots, I don't believe this had any factor in it," [Bill Cowher] said during the pregame show. "I have too much respect for Tom Brady, for Corey Mays Dillon, for [Deion] Branch and also for Coach [Bill Belichick]. I think he's still a good coach."
    This is what Jimmy Johnson has to say about it
    "Bill Belichick was wrong because he videotaped signals after a memo was sent out to all of the teams saying not to do it," he said. "But what irritates me is hearing some reactions from players and coaches. These players don't know what their coaches are doing. And some of the coaches have selective amnesia because I know for a fact there were various teams doing this. That's why the memo was sent to everybody. That doesn't make him [Belichick] right, but a lot of teams are doing this."

Eagle Eye, your using opinion to try and state facts. Allegations were made in reference to the Rams walkthrough. This was never proven but it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Goddell had evidence destroyed of tapes, notes etc. which was admitted to Senator Spector which included evidence as far back as 2000. It's not a myth. This is all fact.

There will always be doubts, but I can't prove that the Patriots knew the Eagles defensive signals in SB XXXIX. But it looked pretty obvious to me and lots of other people too. Maybe it was luck. Same with the Steelers.

The fact is that between experts and idiots there exists a large proportion of people who will forever see the SB's as tainted. Rightly or wrongly this is the case. But the cloud of doubt was created by the Pats and it's never going to go away.

Threw a tantrum and left? Once again getting your facts wrong. Do you not hate being wrong constantly? I actually informed mods a week before that post I was leaving and a few guys on here and the day I found out I could close the account I went out with a bang for the sh1ts and giggles and even told some of the lads I was doing it.

But hey you are still coming off as the clueless one though. Once again when proper debate is put to you all you can do is sling mud and talk nonsense without ever throwing back proper facts. As for trying to reason with me yeah dude how about actually trying to use some facts to back up your answers?

So I was making up that stuff about Brandon Meriweather sparking the fines? I guess I was making up the fact that players a seldom if ever fined for leading with the helmet on a player who isn't a defenseless receiver or QB behind the line of scrimmage. You also don't seem to get humour. "Coincidence? I THINK NOT." Who the hell talks like that when trying to make a point? The funny thing is I think spygate is massively overblown, but you could convince anyone that they are arguing against you.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2012/05/01/revealed-the-worlds-best-paid-teams-man-city-close-in-on-barca-and-real-madrid-010501/

The worlds best paid sports teams. Interesting enough you have to go to number 75 before coming to an NFL team, which is the Steelers. Raiders are next best paid at 80, before (and this one surprised me) the Panthers at 95.

Top 5 highest paid NFL teams:

1) Steelers
    2) Raiders
    3) Panthers
    4) Jets
    5) Giants

Bottom 5:

32) Bengals
    31) Titans
    29) Redskins
    28) Chiefs
    27) Buccs

Any surprises in there for you?

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »

I don't understand how that 100% proves it never happened. I'm not saying it did, but a lot of people think it did. A few of the allegations were a bit strange eg. Detriot Lions 3-13.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement