Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

nerd69 wrote: »
    im an eagles fan so i love jackson but hes not near the level of fitz andre and megatron they can do everything a wr has to do and do it well jackson will not out jump people he is good deep or on a deep slant route but if you put him across the middle more than once or twice hes gona get knocked outa the game hes insane quick and a very good route runner but not elite

Does Jackson frustrate the bejesus out of you?

Do you think he will bounce back at all from the couple of concussions at the end of the 10-11 season. Read reports that he would run nothing but go routes with outside release. Was that just because he didnt want to do any further damage before getting a shiny new contract or is he done as a decent all rounder?

He provided one of my momenet of the year in the game this year at Giant stadium when he made great play (40yard reception I think) and then flips the ball at Perry Fewell and it negates the whole play. I laughed :D

An article listing the head coaches in order in the NFL. Number 1 is odd but the writer does at least make an argument that holds a litte water.

The rest of the top 7 are pretty much spot on IMO

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/head-coach-power-rankings-180016616--nfl.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

The Jim pick is crazy. The Lions turned around their fortunes by drafting better and bringing in good free agents.

Norv Turner last? That is crazy too, bad coach but not the worst, I can understand the Sean Payton choice as he wont be coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,643 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bill Belichick has to be no.1 on any list of head coaches. I stopped reading when I seen that Jim Schwartz was no.1. Absolutely idiotic article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Coughlin takes a lot of heat mainly because of the NY press. But he's done very well and delivering two Superbowls since 2004 is remarkable. The fans demand success every year, between the injuries and the typical December collapse expected I think he done really well.

Based on last year I'd go:

1. TC
    2. BB
    3. John H
    4. Jim H
    5. John Fox

I've a feeling Jim Harbaugh could be top of that list next season.

I'm feeling NE SF next year in the Louisiana Superdome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Based on last year I'd go:

Rankings shouldn't be based on one year. If one game had gone differently then BB would be above Tom Coughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

On the basis of recent success I think it's fair to put Coughlin ahead of Belichick. The jury's out on the Schwartz pick though. He's brought a lot of success to Detroit but I think he's responsible for how ill-disciplined his team is.

matthew8 wrote: »
    On the basis of recent success I think it's fair to put Coughlin ahead of Belichick. The jury's out on the Schwartz pick though. He's brought a lot of success to Detroit but I think he's responsible for how ill-disciplined his team is.
    He has won two Superbowls, Belichick has won three as a head coach. Belichick has delivered winning seasons every year since 2000. There is no doubt who no.1 is.

How you could even think that anybody is ahead of Belichick is just beyond me. Sure I'm a Patriots fan but in this instance that doesn't matter one jot. There is nobody close to him. What he has done year in, year out is incredible.
    Since joining New England he has had 155 wins from 214 starts for a .725 win percentage. He has won 3 Superbowls and 5 AFC championships.
    Coughlin is 82 wins 137 starts as the Giants head coach.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He has won two Superbowls, Belichick has won three as a head coach. Belichick has delivered winning seasons every year since 2000. There is no doubt who no.1 is.

How you could even think that anybody is ahead of Belichick is just beyond me. Sure I'm a Patriots fan but in this instance that doesn't matter one jot. There is nobody close to him. What he has done year in, year out is incredible.
    Since joining New England he has had 155 wins from 214 starts for a .725 win percentage. He has won 3 Superbowls and 5 AFC championships.
    Coughlin is 82 wins 137 starts as the Giants head coach.

Belichick better than Coughlin? The scoreboard begs to differ. It clearly matters if you're a Patriots fan when deciding between Belichick and Coughlin.

Hard to put Coughlin ahead of BB imo.

Coughlin has yet to produce a team that has been a dominant regular season team ala Pats, Colts, Packers. Coughlin has masterminded 2 great post-season runs but he cant be rated better than BB.

Jim Schwartz is def not No.1 but it is easy to forget that he has helped turn around that franchise really quickly. If nothing else Thanksgiuing is alot better thanks to him

• Advertisement

The scoreboard begs to differ

?

.725>.6

Or are you joking again?

I think Belichick is one but only just.

Coughlin is catching up and fast.

Pats have constantly had a better roster though and maybe Bill should of had more super bowls.

The whole spy gate incident works against Bill in these sort of listings.

Oh god not again.

No not againt, last thing I want is a mob of Pats fans on here haha.

I mean Journalists will look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

BB is the best headcoach in the league atm, hands down as much as I don't like to admit it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rochey18 wrote: »

20100108063328!Exploding-head.gif

Masked Man wrote: »
    ?

.725>.6

Or are you joking again?

How anyone can miss this is beyond me.

superbowl.jpg

It'd be kinda cute if you actually thought that meant anything for deciding between the two of them.

Belichick better than Coughlin? The scoreboard begs to differ. It clearly matters if you're a Patriots fan when deciding between Belichick and Coughlin.
    It doesn't matter who I support because there isn't even anybody close to Belichick.

You can go and argue whether its Coughlin, McCarthy, Reid or somebody else at no.2 but there isn't even a good argument you can make to have anybody ahead of Belichick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

lol so you're basing best coach on one game?? you're either naive or a **** troll

• Advertisement

Arawn wrote: »
    lol so you're basing best coach on one game?? you're either naive or a **** troll
    Coughlin has won their last 3 meetings. That helps me to decide. It's clearly not the only factor though.
    It'd be kinda cute if you actually thought that meant anything for deciding between the two of them.

It clearly means something. The 2 coaches met. One of them won. Coughlin also did it in NE earlier in the season.

What's so ridiculous about the champion being considered the best?

It doesn't matter who I support because there isn't even anybody close to Belichick.

You can go and argue whether its Coughlin, McCarthy, Reid or somebody else at no.2 but there isn't even a good argument you can make to have anybody ahead of Belichick.

Couldn't agree more with this.

BB is number 1. If you wont admit that your being silly. Look at the season they had Tom Terrible went down. 11-5 (i think)

Coughlin is now prob number 2 after the superbowl but he has had some pretty mediocre seasons with the Giants (trust me)

Coughlin has won their last 3 meetings. That helps me to decide. It's clearly not the only factor though.

It clearly means something. The 2 coaches met. One of them won. Coughlin also did it in NE earlier in the season.

I think its time to put you on ignore sadly. I don't like doing that to people but seriously man you just keep hating on the Patriots. You won't touch their records because you clearly have no argument. You won't touch the fact that Belichick has been to 5 superbowls with 3 wins because that doesn't help your argument either.

You won't touch the fact that Belichick has done all of this while retooling a team top to bottom bar one position which is starting quarterback.

Yeah I'm not getting into an argument about this but your last post isn't really relative to who you'd rather have coaching your team over the course of a season. Even if you ignore variance (which would be retarded) and assume that head to head Couglin is without doubt better than BB. BB is clearly better over a season/era (see: win%, SBs, consistent winning seasons and general Pats awesomeness). Your either trolling or don't really follow logic so like I said I'm not arguing.

Come on man. You cant base coaching on 3 games. Coughlin has been responsible for some pretty poor seasons.

All those last 3 meetings mean is that Eli is better than Brady :p

I think its time to put you on ignore sadly. I don't like doing that to people but seriously man you just keep hating on the Patriots. You won't touch their records because you clearly have no argument. You won't touch the fact that Belichick has been to 5 superbowls with 3 wins because that doesn't help your argument either.

You won't touch the fact that Belichick has done all of this while retooling a team top to bottom bar one position which is starting quarterback.
    Yeah I'm not getting into an argument about this but your last post isn't really relative to who you'd rather have coaching your team over the course of a season. Even if you ignore variance (which would be retarded) and assume that head to head Couglin is without doubt better than BB. BB is clearly better over a season/era (see: win%, SBs, consistent winning seasons and general Pats awesomeness). Your either trolling or don't really follow logic so like I said I'm not arguing.
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    Come on man. You cant base coaching on 3 games. Coughlin has been responsible for some pretty poor seasons.

All those last 3 meetings mean is that Eli is better than Brady :p

'Stats are for losers, the final score is for winners' - Bill Belichick. If the 2 coaches are against eachother and one comes out on top 3 times in a row while winning 2 superbowls, it's only fair that coach is considered better.

It's ridiculous that just because I don't have the highest possible opinion of everyone with the Patriots I'm all of a sudden a Patriots hater.

'Stats are for losers, the final score is for winners' - Bill Belichick. If the 2 coaches are against eachother and one comes out on top 3 times in a row while winning 2 superbowls, it's only fair that coach is considered better.
    That quote is a reference to single game stats.

Way to avoid actually addressing any issue icon14.gif

I always thought TO was harsh on you, but he might actually be right.

The goal of the coach is to win a superbowl. That is all that is asked of him. Tom Coughlin did that last year, Bill Belichick did not. Therefore Tom Coughlin in my mind is the better coach. Belichick is still awesome though.

• Advertisement

Ok last post:

With any team, BB has a higher chance of winning a SB than Tom Coughlin as well as a higher chance of winning multiple SBs over the next decade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement