Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What do you make of Harbraugh's comments:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-insider-john-harbaugh-patriots-super-bowl-titles-are-stained-20120501,0,4436098.story
    Ravens head coach John Harbaugh made some interesting comments about the New England Patriots, Spygate, and the Patriots’ three Super Bowl titles during a Tuesday morning appearance on 98 Rock.

Harbaugh, on the airwaves to promote the upcoming ALS charity run for O.J. Brigance, was asked by the 98 Rock morning show crew -- which I’m sure most of our Baltimore readers are familiar with -- about the New Orleans Saints and their recent bounty scandal, and also cheating in the NFL in general.

Here was his response (and no matter his intentions, you can guarantee it is going to make headlines):

“In the end, everything is brought before the light of day, when it’s all said and done,” Harbaugh said. “What happens, even the thing in New England, no matter whether those things had any impact on whether they won their championships or not, they got asterisks now. It’s been stained.

"To me, it’s never worth it. You’ve got to figure out ways to use the rules to your advantage, you’ve got to figure out ways to make the most of everything. We’ve got new work rules here as far as what we can do and what we can’t do with our players, and we’re going to make the most of it. What we’re finding is, ‘Man, maybe we can do some things even better than we did before,’ because these rules make us focus more on some things that we didn’t focus on before. You just have to make them work for you. That’s what success is in the world. You have to find a way to do things better than somebody else. But if you’re cheating, in the end, you’re going to get discredited. It’s not worth it.”

Harbaugh was then asked if during a game he ever felt like the other team -- no specific team was mentioned -- knew what play the Ravens were going to run.

“Yeah, I have, but if I say when, it’s going to be like Pro Football Talk is going to blow up and go crazy and I’m going to get accused of accusing somebody of something,” Harbaugh said.

This hasn’t blown up on Pro Football Talk yet, but I’m guessing it will be by lunchtime

Albert Breer: ‏
    @AlbertBreer
    Uproar over Harbaugh comments on NE is why NFL people don't say anything anymore ... He stated the obvious, and it's seen as outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,541 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Harbaugh just went into the 'The Patriots beat me and I'm a bad loser and a clown when I'm like that' category for me.

He just put a serious stain on himself there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

eagle eye wrote: »
    Harbaugh just went into the 'The Patriots beat me and I'm a bad loser and a clown when I'm like that' category for me.

He just put a serious stain on himself there.

Agreed what a clown. Honestly I would rather have an asterix and 5 Bowl Visits and 3 Wins than one of the best Defenses in the league and unable as a Coach to make one visit with said team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Huh?
    Of course there the superbowls are stained?
    How is this even a topic of news.

@CoachTO So you would rather cheat and win, then come close and lose?

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Huh?
    Of course there the superbowls are stained?
    How is this even a topic of news.

@CoachTO So you would rather cheat and win, then come close and lose?

Nope my feelings on the spygate have been posted on here many times before. The asterix will be there for some and not for others and is irrelevant at this point, Harbaugh stating the obvious comes off as nothing but bitter. Harbaugh himself has comes close but no cigar and really should worry about his own teams affairs than try smack talk on old news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

He stated the obvious, whether he should have said it when asked a question about the Saints, but considering the patriots were the last team caught for breaking league rule's. "Spygate" is always gonna come up after the saints "Bountygate"

A clown comment : Please....

He stated the obvious, whether he should have said it when asked a question about the Saints, but considering the patriots were the last team caught for breaking league rule's. "Spygate" is always gonna come up after the saints "Bountygate"

A clown comment : Please....

Harbaugh was then asked if during a game he ever felt like the other team -- no specific team was mentioned -- knew what play the Ravens were going to run.

“Yeah, I have, but if I say when, it’s going to be like Pro Football Talk is going to blow up and go crazy and I’m going to get accused of accusing somebody of something,” Harbaugh said.

When he throws this comment in yes he is a clown. And this comment alone is enough to sum up his whole interview. Whether he means the Pats or not he is basically saying Teams cheat against him. And that alone comes off as bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/01/john-harbaugh-patriots-earned-those-championships/
    After saying in a radio interview that Spygate had “stained” the Patriots’ championships, Ravens coach John Harbaugh has now revised and extended those remarks.

Harbaugh issued a statement this afternoon after making those comments this morning, and he said in his statement that he wasn’t saying he personally believes the Patriots’ titles are tainted. He was saying he thinks others perceive the Patriots’ titles as tainted.

“I answered a question about playing within the rules and referred to the perception that the Super Bowl championships won by the Patriots and Saints have a stain,” Harbaugh said. “My reference was to the perception out there that came as the result of the league’s actions.”

The question asked to Harbaugh was about the Saints’ bounty scandal, and in answering Harbaugh largely ignored bounties and instead brought up Spygate. But in his clarification Harbaugh said he doesn’t want the coaches of either the Saints or the Patriots to think he was suggesting they didn’t earn their Super Bowl rings.

“I could have been more clear that I was referring to those viewpoints,” Harbaugh said. “I totally believe that the Patriot and Saint coaches and players earned those championships. Bill [Belichick] and Sean [Payton] both know that.”

Harbaugh said he has always liked and admired Belichick and contacted him today to say so.

“I called him to remind him of my respect for him,” Harbaugh said. “I also reached out to Tedy Bruschi, who rightfully defended those Patriot players and coaches on ESPN, to tell him that I agree with him that the Patriots earned every victory.”

The Ravens host the Patriots in Week Three on Sunday Night Football. Harbaugh may want to take some advice from his brother and prepare in advance for his post-game handshake.

Paully D wrote: »

And this is what happens when your agent gets on the phone and tells you to come up with an explanation to what you said before and make it look like people didn't understand what your were getting at the first time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

lol he couldnt backtrack quicker.

Stupid and childish comment to make, glad he realised how wrong he was because otherwise i would have lost a lot of respect for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

When i heard Harbaugh was mouthing and getting fans riled up i just thought it was Jim. Surprised it's John, the more likable one by far imo. Prob should of kept his moth shut but it's good the media and the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That's not like Harbaugh at all

Comes from the Andy Reid school of saying pretty much nothing at all and answering everything in coach-speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

He's hardly wrong. Let's not get so touchy here.

He's hardly wrong. Let's not get so touchy here.
    Will you ever quit a wum. You really haven't a clue and are always at the controversial end of anything that you get involved in on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Will you ever quit a wum..

:confused: never heard that before

HigginsJ wrote: »
    :confused: never heard that before

Wind up merchant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The Patriots won 3 superbowls while spying and have won none since. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

It was funny today, I was watching the Saints' America's game earlier today, they may want to edit out the part in which they emphasised going after Kurt Warner and Brett Favre.

matthew8 wrote: »
    The Patriots won 3 superbowls while spying and have won none since. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

It was funny today, I was watching the Saints' America's game earlier today, they may want to edit out the part in which they emphasised going after Kurt Warner and Brett Favre.

Yeah you reckon? Good man.

Will you ever quit a wum. You really haven't a clue and are always at the controversial end of anything that you get involved in on this site.

If you don't like the way I post you can easily ignore that's what the feature is there for.

I'm not controversial at all, nor am I trying to wind up anybody. It's not my fault if certain people are more sensitive than others.

I'll remember this era of the Patriots as being one of the greatest teams in the history of the NFL. However, there will always be Spygate, that, is why IMO, the superbowls will be tainted. But so what? You obviously don't care about Spygate.

I've no doubt your reply will contain wishy washy rehash of why you disagree. But that is ok, you're entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to mine. The ignore feature is there for a reason.

But to call me clueless isn't very classy and is clearly part of a baseless repsonse and from an 'outed' racist on the soccer forum I wouldn't be taking shots at other posters.

If your talking about football knowledge please don't be so petty. You couldn't possibly know about the extent of my knowledge on football.

If you think the Superbowls are 100% clean and fully justified as a result of hard work ethic and effort then you are delusional.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I love these sort of comments. utterly utterly stupid.

Patriots have also been in 2 superbowls since, and 3 conference deciders. they have won 6 of 7 division titles. They have been in the playoffs for 6 seasons since their last superbowl victory, and the only year they didnt make it was when Brady was out injured. They also have a record 16-0 regular season, and have had 2 MVPs and 2 COY awards.

but hey, you keep spewing out crap if you think it makes you sound like you know stuff.

• Advertisement

If you don't like the way I post you can easily ignore that's what the feature is there for.

I'm not controversial at all, nor am I trying to wind up anybody. It's not my fault if certain people are more sensitive than others.

I'll remember this era of the Patriots as being one of the greatest teams in the history of the NFL. However, there will always be Spygate, that, is why IMO, the superbowls will be tainted. But so what? You obviously don't care about Spygate.

I've no doubt your reply will contain wishy washy rehash of why you disagree. But that is ok, you're entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to mine. The ignore feature is there for a reason.

But to call me clueless isn't very classy and is clearly part of a baseless repsonse and from an 'outed' racist on the soccer forum I wouldn't be taking shots at other posters.

If your talking about football knowledge please don't be so petty. You couldn't possibly know about the extent of my knowledge on football.

If you think the Superbowls are 100% clean and fully justified as a result of hard work ethic and effort then you are delusional.
    You two go and educate yourselves on spygate and then come back to me about it. Until stfu about it because I'm sick and tired of reading rubbish from clueless people.

And Matthew8, do you honestly think your team is playing by the rules the last two seasons? I'm sure it wil come out in the wash at some stage. What do you call that hit by Lewis in the AFC Championship game? Do you think that was just a decision made by him on the spur of the moment?

Hahaha, Pats fans don't get the joke. I knew you wouldn't. And eagle eye, which Lewis hit would that be? The only hit on Brady I remember from last season was the London Fletcher hit.

You two go and educate yourselves on spygate and then come back to me about it. Until stfu about it because I'm sick and tired of reading rubbish from clueless people.

Wasting your time telling them dude because as soon as the haters open the right pages about Spygate to read it they automatically read the word cheat and stop reading. Typical ignorance shown around here at times. Good to see Matty still sprouting nonsense as usual.
    Hahaha, Pats fans don't get the joke. I knew you wouldn't. And eagle eye, which Lewis hit would that be? The only hit on Brady I remember from last season was the London Fletcher hit.

The sad part is you weren't joking and its not the first time you have looked for a reason to sprout nonsense about certain things. Also typical comeback by the Pats haters on here. Make a statement to rile Pats fans up and then pretend they were joking. Yeah good man.

This one where he tried his very best to do him and he was late too, Brady was already over but he tried to drive straight through his back.
    BaltimoreRavensatNewEnglandPatriots-2011ConferenceChampionshipsBradyQBSneak.gif

And Matthew8, do you honestly think your team is playing by the rules the last two seasons? I'm sure it wil come out in the wash at some stage. What do you call that hit by Lewis in the AFC Championship game? Do you think that was just a decision made by him on the spur of the moment?

Educate me then please. I'd love to hear this.

And don't come out with Bill won this award and the team set this record and the like.

And don't mention Bill's interpretation of the law either becuase there is a lot of delusional fans clinging onto that too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

CoachTO wrote: »
    Wasting your time telling them dude because as soon as the haters open the right pages about Spygate to read it they automatically read the word cheat and stop reading. Typical ignorance shown around here at times. Good to see Matty still sprouting nonsense as usual.

The sad part is you weren't joking and its not the first time you have looked for a reason to sprout nonsense about certain things. Also typical comeback by the Pats haters on here. Make a statement to rile Pats fans up and then pretend they were joking. Yeah good man.

some things never change. fire out random insults, and then when defended claim the supporters are over sensitive.

good to see you back here by the way! ;)

This one where he tried his very best to do him and he was late too, Brady was already over but he tried to drive straight through his back.
    BaltimoreRavensatNewEnglandPatriots-2011ConferenceChampionshipsBradyQBSneak.gif

If you're going to leap over the line of scrimmage then you'd better prepare to be hit. And it was a decision made in the spur of the moment. Ray Lewis has always had the utmost respect for Tom Brady.

If you're going to leap over the line of scrimmage then you'd better prepare to be hit. And it was a decision made in the spur of the moment. Ray Lewis has always had the utmost respect for Tom Brady.

Whatever about hitting someone the manner in how he hit was stupid at best for a guy like Ray Lewis. Leading with your head low into the back of an opponent. Many things could have gone wrong there. Lewis with a broken neck/spine or Tom Brady with a broken spine. He may have the utmost respect for Brady but with a game like that being as tense as it was players do stupid things and in this instance that was stupid of Lewis.

bruschi wrote: »
    some things never change. fire out random insults, and then when defended claim the supporters are over sensitive.

good to see you back here by the way! ;)

Insults? I've only tried to state facts and my intrepretation of the facts. The only people being senssitive are the people who have there head in the sand.

Why the feeling of opression? Can't people discuss the facts?

• Advertisement

Insults? I've only tried to state facts and my intrepretation of the facts. The only people being senssitive are the people who have there head in the sand.

Why the feeling of opression? Can't people discuss the facts?

Pretty sure he is referring to Matthew8 comments more than yours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement